1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

I think Lukaku is inevitable. Has unfinished business here.

While we're on a subject of unfinished business, I'd prefer KDB and Salah coming back to finish whatever business was left unfinished.

Lukaku? Really don't want him. Doing well in today's Serie A, given his physical attributes, doesn't really impress me much, this is the league where Tomori's looking like peak Beckenbauer. Spending ridiculous amount on Lukaku would be madness, he's really not worth it.

8 minutes ago, abramovich said:

While we're on a subject of unfinished business, I'd prefer KDB and Salah coming back to finish whatever business was left unfinished.

Lukaku? Really don't want him. Doing well in today's Serie A, given his physical attributes, doesn't really impress me much, this is the league where Tomori's looking like peak Beckenbauer. Spending ridiculous amount on Lukaku would be madness, he's really not worth it.

Tomori started well but he's really started to fade out in the past two months, he was never at an amazing level as well, always had good games but nothing to write your mother about ( a bit like with us,  good first few games but then the opponent can see your weaknesses and attack you in different ways). i always find it astonishing the lack of praise Lukaku gets in Italy, he's really a new player much much better than when he was at United i wouldnt say no to him coming back at Stamford Bridge.

Edited by DidierDrogbalala

Lukaku is the outstanding player for Inter. He scores and creates goals all the time. His movement off the ball is good and he shows up. His record at Everton and even his first season at United also good. Doesn’t seem that injury prone. Certainly better value than Morata.  Cheez we stuffed a few things up then. He seems to do better with managers that really believe in him. 

he’s a big unit and I wonder if that will slow him down over the next few years. I think he’d score goals for Chelsea. But I don’t  think inter will let him go easily. 

conte has proved again he is a top manager. 

Edited by ozboy

I think the problem is there's not alot of finished articles out there. In terms of age and price. Lukaku, Halaand, Kane? You either spend big on one of those or you risk buying someone like Andrea Belotti who could do it but there's a risk as he hasent had that challenge yet. Though why would you spend 30 - 60m on a striker when you can just stick it out with Tammy? If we dont sign one of the big 3 that I mentioned I dont see us buying a striker next window.

Though you do have the you have the Aguero options, 2 year contract and likely on big wages but there's no sizeable fee attatched. I personally don't see us getting Lukaku. I know Inter are in a bad spot finanically but im sure they will look at clearing other assets first and Lukaku seems happy.

We do need an out and out number 9 though. We havent replaced Costa.

God I really thought the days of me panicking Lukaku would return were long gone.

Do not want, even factoring out his level on the pitch his ego and delusions of grandeur are unbearable. He and Pogba were close mates before he joined United, by the time he left the latter couldn't stand him.

I'm happy with our offensive line at the moment, it's starting to show signs of where we want to be, just needs a few more chances taken to really start to shine. I don't want to upset the progress we've made this season, if Lukaku did come back i would want to see him used as a fringe player from the bench and maybe start when we need to rest Werner, which wont be very often because the one thing Werner has in abundance is energy.

2 hours ago, Argo said:

pitch his ego and delusions of grandeur are unbearable. He and Pogba were close mates before he joined United, by the time he left the latter couldn't stand him.

Could have something to do with Pogba's ego and grandeur I would imagine.

Kane or Haaland is the dream but both are extremely unlikely. Lukaku seems to be the one who's a possibility considering Inters financial trouble and I think he would do well under Tuchel. Certainly an upgrade on what we have. Having Jorginho as our joint top scorer with six goals in the league is a bit of a travesty and needs to be adressed.

I reckon we will get Haaland, the fall out from the other ESL clubs and Pep saying they  don't need him must make us favourites. Also we are in the semis of the CL so he can see we are serious contenders.

I don't think Lukaku is the worst yet anything over £60 m is over paying for me.

Memphis Depay is free and he's much better than what the common opinion about him is. Lukaku has improved under Conte, his first touch is actually much better now and he can score goals for sure so I'm pretty confident to say that Depay and Lukaku in Man United weren't as good due to other factors but they are good attackers otherwise.

10 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Memphis Depay is free and he's much better than what the common opinion about him is. Lukaku has improved under Conte, his first touch is actually much better now and he can score goals for sure so I'm pretty confident to say that Depay and Lukaku in Man United weren't as good due to other factors but they are good attackers otherwise.

I think he will go Barca personally but I would take him in a heartbeat since he is a creative force as well and has unfinished business in this league (like Salah and KDB) he was sold by Jose which means he'll be a worldie right?! 

Rather than spend >£100m I would love a shrewd signing that goes under the radar and just sets the world a light for us.

Lukaku at 90mill? Lol he flopped at United and he is playing in a piss poor league that is making him look pretty good.

You bring him back he and watch him pass the ball out of play, lose the ball on first touch and sloth around the pitch with a poor attitude.

Will be decent in the air. So is Giroud though.

To think Lukaku was compared to Drogba lol.

Well the Chelsea board do a pretty good job of wasting money on at least half our transfers so why not break of transfer record to do it again?

28 minutes ago, LongtimerLurker said:

I think he will go Barca personally but I would take him in a heartbeat since he is a creative force as well and has unfinished business in this league (like Salah and KDB) he was sold by Jose which means he'll be a worldie right?! 

Rather than spend >£100m I would love a shrewd signing that goes under the radar and just sets the world a light for us.

I mean if Barcelona wants him as well as other teams that want to be the best it must mean something. If we can get him for free we could spend the big money on a top CB and we would be covered ahead of the next season much better. 

7 hours ago, Sindre said:

Could have something to do with Pogba's ego and grandeur I would imagine.

Kane or Haaland is the dream but both are extremely unlikely. Lukaku seems to be the one who's a possibility considering Inters financial trouble and I think he would do well under Tuchel. Certainly an upgrade on what we have. Having Jorginho as our joint top scorer with six goals in the league is a bit of a travesty and needs to be adressed.

Problem is Lukaku has previous, at both us and United he went off to train at Anderlect because he was told he had to fight for his place, after seeing Mount knuckle down, use our signings as motivation to make himself an untouchable (and that's before I mention Lampard/Drogba doing the same for our previous generation) do we really want someone in who believes he's entitled to the silver spoon? Tuchel won't be afraid to drop him if he's not performing to standard and he will become a serious problem in the locker room if that situation arises.

I have serious reservations due to the fact I don't believe he's good enough but I may have been talked into seeing the plus side if he had a decent attidute. He's got the ego of a bonafide superstar without the ability level to back it up. 

Do not want!

Posted (edited)

Lukaku could be a decent signing no doubt, especially as Don Conte has unlocked whatever potential he still had and his strengths. The issue is the fee being quoted. Anything under 65m i could accept, anything more is a waste of money, and we should be looking at younger alternatives.

Why not go all out for Mbappe who is on a free next summer. He might be tempted if we make the final, depends on his relationship with Tuchel too.

Edited by Oli

I know he's 36 but here me out, we signed Thiago on a free and he's been decent and there's no guarantee this could work out in similar fashion. But, if you told me the only obstacle would be his wages because realistically he will want them super high I would take him even at 36 going on 37 for a couple of seasons. 

If he does leave its most likely to PSG as a direct Mbappe replacement who looks likely to go to Madrid either in the summer or on a free next season (which is why he is likely to be sold this year). Or a romantic return to the prem where I would expect Man U would be favourites even though their interest is reportedly "tentative".

He's said to be around the £20-30m price range with that and his wages realistically in the short term its not the worst deal. If Tammy and Giroud go I wouldn't mind signing a striker alongside this man to see if he could get us the goals we crave so much.

I expect this summer to be insane in terms of player movement. So many players will dominate the headlines, I hope we can do some really shrewd business and get the players needed for a prem title win. If we can win the UCL this season we can fully commit to the prem next season without the shadow looming large of trying to go one further the follow season in Europe.

Food for thought anyway, his three main concerning factors would be age, wage and adjustability to the league. I think the adjustment and age are quite similar issues b/c f he still has it (the talent to be the best in the world) then perhaps he's worth a punt on a short term basis. His age shouldn't matter as long as he can adjust to the league that should be the main concern.

Or this could be a disaster similar to all our other high profile previous strikers bar a handful. Ironically I would give him the number 9 if Tammy is leaving and we all know about that shirt number. But, would anyone seriously be opposed to the signing of a player of this caliber even at the age of 36? Assuming he plays at least at the level he has at Juve and gets a 20+ goals a season guaranteed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9529335/Cristiano-Ronaldo-wants-LEAVE-Juventus-summer.html

3 hours ago, PloKoon13 said:

I’m not sure I can think of another player in world football who would be a worse fit for the way Tuchel plays than Ronaldo.

I don't disagree but, if CR7 would be willing to change his game from a floating LW to an out and out striker he could function as a target man. That's why I was saying he could be the Giroud replacement. We have the creative players just not the elite marksman to convert the chances. I'd give the possibility of us singing him at no more than 1% but would you seriously be opposed if the opportunity presented itself?