Southampton v Chelsea (PL) Sat 20th Feb 2021 12:30 GMT

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Just now, enigma said:

Why have a £70m LB sat on the bench? He's better than Alonso. Alonso will score a goal every now and then, then people will think he's superb, despite him being average 9 times out of 10. Rudiger again showing why he needs benching - he is average as it comes. I can't believe we haven't moved on from the 16/17 season. Still have the same players in the squad 5 years on. That is mental to me. 

Been allowed to grow stale. 

Guys like Alonso, Rudiger, Koavic, Jorginho and Zouma are not good enough. Kante done us well a few years back but he's lost his spark and its all well and good doing a lot of running about and breaking things up but he can't influence games anymore. 

We needed a clear out but it's not happened, really has to in the summer. 

2 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

This is turning out to be one of the most disappointing seasons as a fan, maybe THE most disappointing depending on how the season turns out in the end. I just can't think of a single thing to look forward to when watching us anymore, it just feels like we are in this cycle of taking one step forward and two steps back.

Agreed. At some point questions have to be raised with those who make decisions about our signings. Too many have been woefully sub-par or totally unsuitable for our style of play. 

2 minutes ago, Dr Gonzo said:

Exactly how I feel right now. Alonso, Jorginho, Rudiger again. Going round in circles. 

You would think our recruitment department would have learned that Kante is the only world class player we've signed in the last 5 seasons. The rest are average or trash. The managers are then expected to win the league and CL with that kind of recruitment? lol

Edited by enigma

1 minute ago, dansubrosa said:

Why would you take Abraham off so Mr 1 goal in 15 games can play upfront?

Why put Hudson Odoi on at HT then sub him off 20 mins later for useless Ziyech?

Why play 3 centre backs against the worst form team in the league?

Why take Kovacic off for Jorginho? Jorginho and Kante while we need a goal.

Why Tuchel?

Abraham was injured ? did you even watch the game 

A lot of poor performances out there today - Mount and Kante obvious exceptions.

Abraham invisible.

Alonso - like what he brings to our game but boy is he found wanting for pace.

Werner - at least he tries. Gave little us but effort today.

CHO - good call from TT. He HAS to do more. We need him to be a match-winner but he was bang average and ma Eybe that's a wake-up call for him today.

Ziyech - not on for long but again, very underwhelming.

Kovacic - goes from MOTM last game to very average today - need more consistency.

Possession football is SO DULL. Great when you have a Hazard who can turn a game with some magic but we have no-one to win these tight games right now and must hope that CHO and Pulicic both pull their fingers out and start producing. And Werner and Havertz..............................

1 minute ago, dansubrosa said:

Why would you take Abraham off so Mr 1 goal in 15 games can play upfront?

Why put Hudson Odoi on at HT then sub him off 20 mins later for useless Ziyech?

Why play 3 centre backs against the worst form team in the league?

Why take Kovacic off for Jorginho? Jorginho and Kante while we need a goal.

Why Tuchel?

Absolutely spot on. I just did not understand the team sheet, when we had a first eleven that were performing well. I guess we play Atletico on Tuesday, but seriously, is he giving preference to the CL over trying to get top 4 when it is clear that we have little chances of going through Atletico?

1 minute ago, Nibs said:

A lot of poor performances out there today - Mount and Kante obvious exceptions.

Abraham invisible.

Alonso - like what he brings to our game but boy is he found wanting for pace.

Werner - at least he tries. Gave little us but effort today.

CHO - good call from TT. He HAS to do more. We need him to be a match-winner but he was bang average and ma Eybe that's a wake-up call for him today.

Ziyech - not on for long but again, very underwhelming.

Kovacic - goes from MOTM last game to very average today - need more consistency.

Possession football is SO DULL. Great when you have a Hazard who can turn a game with some magic but we have no-one to win these tight games right now and must hope that CHO and Pulicic both pull their fingers out and start producing. And Werner and Havertz..............................

Perfect summary

1 minute ago, Chelsbear said:

Guys like Alonso, Rudiger, Koavic, Jorginho and Zouma are not good enough. Kante done us well a few years back but he's lost his spark and its all well and good doing a lot of running about and breaking things up but he can't influence games anymore. 

He can't influence game anymore?? 

Kante won ball up high made quick forward pass to mount and the offense is moving forward. You can't ask player to win the ball, create goals and score. They will last 30 min

For me this on TT today.

Not sure why Christensen was not playing as our best ball playing CB without Silva. Thought maybe he saw a weakness in Saints defensively so he wanted both Rudiger and Zouma yet if so why take short corners?

With Kante and Kova we don't get a midfield pivot. Thought both were poor.

Poor goal to concede only Azpi reacted to Minamo.

Werner had chances he once more failed to take advantage of.

Abraham was poor.

CHO wasn't that great though neither was Ziyech, strange.

James was poor offensively a couple of decent defensive blocks yet many passes back to the keeper that on another day might have been intercepted.

Mount by far our most dangerous player and Alonso was ok too.

A poor day today and TT must realise he needs to be careful about resting players, too many changes today for me.

Just now, Chelsbear said:

We've been there before with Alonso. He comes in and scores a goal or 2 and suddenly is flavour of the month again. I still think he is a good option as wing back but we all know he has limitations. I would prefer to see Chilwell getting starts. He may not be comfortable as a wing back yet, but I have every confidence he will adapt. 

We still need a better option at CB. Thiago has been great but is not going to be able to play as regularly due to his age. Christensen is good on his day but too easily bullied. Zouma and Rudiger are squad players at best.

5 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

They can't clear out though because other clubs realise how trash those signings are. We managed to offload Willian and Luiz, but the rest of the signings from that terrible transfer window are still going strong. Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Zappacosta, Barkley, Batshuayi, Alonso, Rudiger. I mean seriously?! What a way to run a business.  This is definitely the board's fault. If they had signed Aguero instead of Torres. If they had signed David Silva in 10/11. If they had signed VVD instead of average CBs. If they had tried to sign Sandro. If they had kept KDB. They could have kept Lukaku instead of scratching around for a decent striker for season after season. Costa was good, but for one season. 

Edited by enigma

1 minute ago, Nevamind said:

What was going in with Ziyech? Thought he was overall poor and not positive. 

we kept punting ball up hardly gave him a shout.. Kova lost his compusre because of the twat of a ref and that 5-6 mins cost us..

It's actually at the point where I have to question if I even like football anymore.  Seriously some nights I get home from work and think, ah sh*t I gotta watch Chelsea tonight, when in reality I'd much rather be on the Playstation.  Man do I miss the days of Zola, Vialli, Flo and DiMatteo.

I think the club are going downhill, we've let Manchester City and Liverpool overtake us, we've just stood there and taken it.

Edited by Eight Times

Just now, Bob stark said:

He can't influence game anymore?? 

Kante won ball up high made quick forward pass to mount and the offense is moving forward. You can't ask player to win the ball, create goals and score. They will last 30 min

Not in the way he did 3 to 4 years ago. 

He's not the same player anymore, we lose the midfield playing Kante along with one of the other 3 defensive mods we have. There is zero threat 

The balance of the squad is all wrong and its absurd the midfield has went so long being as defensive minded as it has.