Southampton v Chelsea (PL) Sat 20th Feb 2021 12:30 GMT

5 minutes ago, SFL82 said:

Mate...think he is going fairly well so far. Top 4 from 9th we just conceded our first goal scored by an opponent in 6 games.

Frank was getting them scoring plenty early in then conceding left and right. 

In 6 games he is supposed to concede no goals and score 4 a game? 

It will come, the basis of a good team especially a Chelsea team is one that doesn’t conceded goals 

Dont agree with any of that, nothing has changed other than players playing with more energy due to a new manager. The attacking football is dreadful, our players are taking the safe pass constantly, for whatever reason rather than take a risk, we have posession for no reason other than to keep the ball. Its tedious, ots garbage and it's open to what's happened in that half. The only difference today to the other matches since Tuchel got here is the opposition have scored from there chance, the other teams didn't. Results are papering over the same chasm sized cracks we had under lampard.

2 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

The results came against very poor teams or teams really out of form. If we just ignore the performances and look at the results, it looks better than it really is. We aren't playing well, and any team will feel comfortable to sit deep against us and play on the counter. We can't put together a single decent attack. When it comes to creating chances, this is the worst Chelsea team I have ever seen.

You are way too overly negative at times. We've definitely created more chances until this game in the last several games beforehand. Before that we couldn't create chances, this game, or this half anyway, we haven't created anything or troubled their keeper. 

That's not been the story of all the games under Tuchel. 

Just now, Term_X said:

Zouma at fault for the goal, joint worst CB at the club, we’re just filled with average players, Kovavic totally switches off too.. top 4 hangs in the balance.

Kovacic is like that everytime he plays along Kante. He loses all his freedom to do his thing because Kante is constantly all over the pitch and not ready to defend if we lose the ball.

Not sure how Tuchel fixes this,  I'm sure he can I just don't know how. Passing has been poor in the final 3rd. Kante playing means natural Kovacic drops deeper so he effects the play less, all the creatively then falls on Mounts shoulders and that's a heavy burden.

I'd like to see Giroud but I wouldn't mind Tammy off for Ziyech and Timo goes up top and we just slip it through to him as often as possible.

One thing that is certain about this system Andreas and Thiago are needed to play in the central hole. For the goal look how narrow our cbs are and the ball still got fed through the middle. 

1 minute ago, reparto corse said:

I find it weird how people complain about Tammy. I doubt many CFs would do better than him with this lack of build-up play and service into the penalty box. 

Werner on the other hand does get the ball quite frequently but almost always immediately loses it because of his horrible first touch and passing. 

Werner's been absolutely shocking. Sure, he runs a lot, but his techinical ability is horrendous.

4 minutes ago, Argo said:

So we would have gone from 7 points in 8 to 13 in 5?

To rob a phrase from Johan Gieseke anything's possible but it's highly unlikely..

With the teams we were playing against, there was a good chance that would have happened. I don't doubt that it would have been a grind and the performances probably wouldn't have been good, but I don't see any great improvement under Tuchel. The performances has been w**k and nothing to get excited about so far. 

6 minutes ago, petre ispirescu said:

Abraham is the only player in this world that constantly looks tired, sweaty, busy doing nothing!!! He does f**k all on the pitch. Truly a shocking player. 

Southampton pose no threat, I'd get Kante and Abraham off, move Mason alongside Kovacic and bring Ziyech and Ollie Giroud on. And later on Callum for James.

I was surprised to find out he only got 10 touches in the first half which is poor for the lead striker when we have 70% position. Giroud offers much more to the team.

14 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:

In fairness he's had no service ...none, if we continue to play like this it doesn't matter who comes on they won't get service either.

Its not like he is making intelligent runs though or helping in our build up play . How can we have 70 % possesion and our striker only has 10 touches of the ball

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Dont agree with any of that, nothing has changed other than players playing with more energy due to a new manager. The attacking football is dreadful, our players are taking the safe pass constantly, for whatever reason rather than take a risk, we have posession for no reason other than to keep the ball. Its tedious, ots garbage and it's open to what's happened in that half. The only difference today to the other matches since Tuchel got here is the opposition have scored from there chance, the other teams didn't. Results are papering over the same chasm sized cracks we had under lampard.

No accounting for a striker that doesn't look bothered and a center back who falls asleep.

1 minute ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I hate how Zouma just gives up on things. 

He'd given up on it before Southampton even had the ball in the back of the net. He's got previous with doing that. 

No idea why Christensen didn't start. 

I don't get why he does this either. You need to fight until the end as a CB when defending situations like this. He just switched off and left Azpi and Mendy alone.

Dont want to criticize the team selection too much, but i thought we got away with it at Sheffield United, but not playing CHO at right wing back turns this system from being dynamic and dangerous, to completely predictable. 

James has a good delivery, but no real pace or dribbling ability, Alonso is slow and cant beat his man, we know his threat is popping up in the box. 

So we are effectively hoping Mount has a great game, and today he has been average. 

For this team to be successful, Tuchel needs to find a way of getting more of pur attacking players on the pitch at the same time, and get them firing. 

The starting 11 today, looks more like a side you would play away at City rather than Southampton.

Hopefully we can recover this result, and Tuchel learns some lessons. 

3 minutes ago, Valerie said:

I had to deal with a cat crisis, and suddenly we're 1-0 down :rant:Joe probably has more to tell me than his pie preference :face_palm:

I feel you should be elaborating on the cat crisis. My little sh*t stole the premium viewing position in front of the telly I had my prematch wee. 

We get the ball into the final third and don't know what to do with it. 

Pattern forming under Tuchel of having lots of possession but very few shots on target. 

For all our possession in that half Rudiger slashing a daisy cutter from 40 yards out was our only shot on target. Pretty shocking really. 

5 minutes ago, enigma said:

That's just the way the club has been run though. It's win at any costs, but we haven't won that much domestically in the last 10 years for us to be considered a real top club. We have won 2 league trophies in 10 years. For a so called "top club" and contender for the league, it's pretty shambolic after all the money that has been spent in that 10 years. 

Domestic Trophies (last 10 seasons)

Premier League

• Manchester City = 4 (likely to be 5)
  • Chelsea = 2
  • Manchester United = 1
  • Leicester City = 1
  • Liverpool = 1

FA Cup

• Arsenal = 4
  • Chelsea = 2
  • Wigan Athletic = 1
  • Manchester United = 1