Southampton v Chelsea (PL) Sat 20th Feb 2021 12:30 GMT

Disappointing result and performance. At least we didn’t lose is the only positive from it. Kovacic was poor and Kante was very up and down. Taking CHO off was strange I thought he was doing OK and on top of that Ziyech was shocking when he came on. 

Mount showed up in the second half to rescue a point. Otherwise the attack was dogsh*t, and after we equalised, the back 3 play the ball so slowly, that there was no way of even getting forward.

I felt we needed those 3 points, United, Everton and Leeds next. Cant see us getting 9 points out of them, so we could find ourselves playing catchup again in a few weeks. 

Midfield is laughably poor, they can pass it all day side to side and backwards but ask them to pick out a forward defence splitting pass and the 300k plus a week we spend on them musters nothing. 

Needs addresses as it's been stale since Cesc left and we don't need Kante, Jorginho and Koavic who are all one of the same thing. It's piss boring to watch and kills all momentum. 

Not Tuchel fault as he's inherited it but if he wants to be successful he needs to rebuild that midfield altogether. 

We are just not very good against teams that are well organised, are we? And so weak in the defensive duties even with 5 at the back. For a team that doesn't score much, you'd imagine that we would try to be more solid defensively.

I absolutely hate watching football like this. Passing around aimlessly at the back, knock it out wide then pass it back.

A back 5, is dreadful to watch. We are going round in circles.

The recruitment in the summer looked great on paper but it's turned out to be terrible business. Whoever scouts our players needs shooting. 

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Garbage, 90 minutes smacking our head against the wall and not one tactical change other than player for player. Seems 5 at the back and scared tactics are here to stay...

This is turning out to be one of the most disappointing seasons as a fan, maybe THE most disappointing depending on how the season turns out in the end. I just can't think of a single thing to look forward to when watching us anymore, it just feels like we are in this cycle of taking one step forward and two steps back.

Why have a £70m LB sat on the bench? He's better than Alonso. Alonso will score a goal every now and then, then people will think he's superb, despite him being average 9 times out of 10. Rudiger again showing why he needs benching - he is average as it comes. I can't believe we haven't moved on from the 16/17 season. Still have the same players in the squad and even the first team 5 years on. That is mental to me. 

Edited by enigma

This draw has to go down on Tuchel. We look pathetic upfront. And no Giroud, i just dont understand it. Werner and Abraham were terrible, really terrible. CHO was okay, but he had been on for under 30 minutes and atleast was stretching them. We were creating some half chances, and then bam he brings on Jorgingo and Ziyech, who were both terrible when they came on and completely took the game away from potentially being won.

Also if Thiago silva is not playing, Christensen must be playing. Those back three are the experts at passing amongst themselves, and they were criminal in the first goal, all three. 

Anyway i still have no idea why Giroud wasent brought on, preferably for James. Instead we see that and are chances of winning continuously disappearing as Ziyech and Jorginho continue to give the ball away or create needless fouls.

1 minute ago, enigma said:

Why have a £70m LB sat on the bench? He's better than Alonso. Alonso will score a goal every now and then, then people will think he's superb, despite him being average 9 times out of 10. Rudiger again showing why he needs benching - he is average as it comes. I can't believe we haven't moved on from the 16/17 season. Still have the same players in the squad 5 years on. That is mental to me. 

Exactly how I feel right now. Alonso, Jorginho, Rudiger again. Going round in circles. 

If Jorgi was Sarri's son.. mount Lamps then Werner is certainly TTs... the man cant pass to save his life still starts every game.... Rudi and Zouma in a back 4 are disaster together since they are both awful with their positioning.. Ziyech and Tammy looked lost in the system... dreadful performance...

Why would you take Abraham off so Mr 1 goal in 15 games can play upfront?

Why put Hudson Odoi on at HT then sub him off 20 mins later for useless Ziyech?

Why play 3 centre backs against the worst form team in the league?

Why take Kovacic off for Jorginho? Jorginho and Kante while we need a goal.

Why Tuchel?

2 minutes ago, Dr Gonzo said:

I absolutely hate watching football like this. Passing around aimlessly at the back, knock it out wide then pass it back.

A back 5, is dreadful to watch. We are going round in circles.

The recruitment in the summer looked great on paper but it's turned out to be terrible business. Whoever scouts our players needs shooting. 

How do you predict who will be good though? Werner, Havertz and Ziyech were all hyped up as top class players, especially Havertz and Werner. Six months later and the club are losing money on them as the returns have been abysmal. Then again, people will point to Salah as the reason we should be keeping hold of players who are unsuccessful to begin with. 

2 minutes ago, Nibs said:

Yeah but far from a stinker from Mount. In fact he was our MOTM!!

Agree Nibs. Only Mount and Kante looked interested.

Up until the goal thought we had played the best football we have seen under Tuchel. Particularly in terms of our tempo and transitioning. They score, totally against the run of play, and then it was an uphill struggle for the rest of the game.