Southampton v Chelsea (PL) Sat 20th Feb 2021 12:30 GMT

I take from the game the first 30 minutes, where we played some decent football. Our possession was good by the book, from side to side and after 4-5 passes we took it forward and tried to created something. It's clearly that Tuchel has an idea and he's building on it, he won't give up on his tactical buildup, every subjects needs his time. We conceded an easy goal, very poor positioning by Zouma and Mendy, poor communication by Azpilicueta. 

We started the second half with a positive way, we found the way for the chance and got us a penalty. Mount was our key player for the penalty and for another big chance that got wasted by James with a bad shot. We failed to make more than that, Werner after few good performances dropped himself down once again, Abraham wasn't energetic enough but we as a team didn't play on him at all, Alonso had a bad game as well. 

At least we didn't lose, but we didn't look good either. We probably need time to understand Tuchel's football mind and the way he wants the team to create chances because our possession is good enough.

4 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I am so tired of the "this is a transional season" excuse. I have heard it said so many times over the past decade that you would think every single season is a transitional season for this club. After Ancelotti, transitional season, Villas-Boas / Di Matteo / Benitez, transitional seasons, Mourinho's first season, transitional season, Conte's first season, transitional season until we started looking like we could win the title. Sarri, Lampard, Tuchel, same thing. If we keep going with that mindset then we'll never make any progress.

As for which game I think was much better in terms of team performance........the win against Burnley, the only game we consistently played well in so far under Tuchel and a 20 minute period in the first half against Newcastle. Today was like watching our performance against Wolves, just as sh*t, but a lot sloppier on the ball in midfield. 

I remember when we used to make jokes about keepers putting in worldies to stop us scoring, now a team could put an outfield player in goal and still have it easy.

"Transitional season" is really just a figure of speech for any team which has past it's peak and going through players generation changes, coaches etc. to get it right again.  In the ideal world there wouldn't be any "transitional seasons" for any team. Not just Chelsea, but all of them go through this in cycles until they get again their balance right of players(age,experience,skills), coach and chemistry between the players. 
If you think about teams in any of the stronger leagues Real, Barca, Milan, Liverpool, ManU, Inter, Juve they all gone through it in cycles until they get to the top again.  

The game against Burnley in terms of the stats such as possession, completed passes, corners etc. was almost identical to this one except against Burnley we had more shots 19 versus 9. Burnley was a weaker team playing away. Anyway, my point is that we dominated and controlled that game in a same way as we dominated and controlled the game rather well. I personally like the possession based game where we have 75-80% thus limiting other team to only few chances against us, however many don't. Yes, i want us to create more and score more, but we are where we are at this time. The problem we have is at the final third and that is obvious to everyone. It seems that Lampard couldn't make this work and Tuchel is also having the same problem.  Maybe it's the players that just not up to it and until we get another Drogba, Hazard it's going to be "transitional season" for long time.

We have the right to demand the very best from the team otherwise results like that just spoils our mood and weekend 🙂  but looking at this realistically where we are as a team at this moment this was not the worst performance,although I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me. 

Really annoying results, and will set us back for a couple of weeks as far as the top 4 ambition goes. Tactically, Southampton matched up with every trick Tuchel throw at them, Tuchel made the change and those came in didn;t step up, and there was never enough creativity on the field, a wasted sub to took of CHO, and ironically James ( who should have been off) missed the best chance of the game. This is always going to be the issue with this system and the personnel, we will have possession but not many clear chances, and should be we go behind there will be a huge effort to wrestle it back. Apart from the penalty, we didn;t make their GK work much.

Fair points, Mount was by far our most creative player.

James did have a good chance yet he is not noted for shooting.

For me Werner's poor form is an issue though think Tuchel will stick with him.

I didn't see all the match though enough to see Alonso give him the ball twice in space with very little end product.

Once again it is looking like our investment in new players excepting Mendy and Chilwell has been poor. 

8 hours ago, Sindre said:

I'm so tired of shoehorning Kante into this side. Jorginho & Kovacic have dominated the midfield in every game since Tuchel arrived and as soon as Kante is back in midfield we lose it. His passing is atrocious and he's a terrible partner for Kovacic who of course was suffering.

Won the ball back a lot in fairness but he's just a complete hinderance to ourselves when it comes to attacking and controlling.

TT knows in the big games he NEEDS kante to be at his best. So he needs to play. 

I just don't think we are a good football team.  Are we playing better then under Frank?   Maybe a little. More sound on defense for sure.  We have not beaten a good team under TT.  That's a fact.  a win against the most off form Tottenham team in years is not a good win.  I dont care that it's away.  

I hear the announcers say. "Chelsea needs to get better in the final third"  yea I agree lol.  Our first touch isn't good and we pass to no one 90% of the time. Its crazy.  Remember Man U put up 9! Against Southhampton.   9!  

Only way we make top 4 is if everyone fades away at the end like last year. 

1 minute ago, Browerkid said:

I just don't think we are a good football team.  Are we playing better then under Frank?   Maybe a little. More sound on defense for sure.  We have not beaten a good team under TT.  That's a fact.  a win against the most off form Tottenham team in years is not a good win.  I dont care that it's away.  

I hear the announcers say. "Chelsea needs to get better in the final third"  yea I agree lol.  Our first touch isn't good and we pass to no one 90% of the time. Its crazy.  Remember Man U put up 9! Against Southhampton.   9!  

We managed to climb from top 8-9 to top 4 already - many fans thought that it would be hard to do it. Man United scored so many because the Saints were with a player less early on. We wouldn't make top 4 and top 3 in the previous seasons if we didn't have a good team.

Pretty poor uninspired performance, but hey, that's gonna happen once in a while and at least we gained an extra point on Liverpool. What bothers me way more than the result or the play is the body language in the 2nd half. Man if I was a manager the first thing I'd ban from the pitch is dropped heads and arms thrown in the air when your teammate didn't do what you wanted him too (Tammy is actually the worst at that, drives me crazy). I saw way too much of that today, even from Mount despite his great efforts until the end, and there's just no time for that.

When we concede or struggle chasing a result we fans get to react annoyed but the players need to remain completely focused on the remaining minutes of the game. Heck when we're 3-0 down I want them to focus on how to improve the performance and maybe score for our goal difference. I love football as a sport of emotion and certainly don't wanna remove them, I only wanna remove annoyance, exhaustion and accusation. That still leaves plenty of positive emotions on the spectrum. Unfortunately Tuchel was no help with that, as his sideline action was all complaining no direction. I sincerely hope that was just a day form thing.

Look at Liverpool losing 2-0 at home tonight, at least their players keep their heads high and attempt attack after attack after attack.

11 minutes ago, Browerkid said:

I think there are small signs that we are. In first half today we were moving the ball more crisply than we have for a long time. Mount is playing further forward than he did under Lampard which is to be welcomed and occasionally, only occasionally I'll accept, we are getting the ball from back to front more quickly. 

But yes the big concern is how ineffective we are at turning possession into clear chances. Werner is hideously lacking  in confidence. Odoi believes some fictitious hype, Ziyech appears to have surrendered already, Pulisic is a shadow of the player he has very occasionally looked like being, Kovacic puts in one good performance every 8 weeks and Jorginho can point you towards the nearest post office with great aplomb. 

That all said Tuchel, on a short space of time, has stopped us losing which we were beginning  to look like doing every week so these are steps in the right direction. 

4 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

We managed to climb from top 8-9 to top 4 already - many fans thought that it would be hard to do it. Man United scored so many because the Saints were with a player less early on. We wouldn't make top 4 and top 3 in the previous seasons if we didn't have a good team.

Every team faded around us last year for us to make top 4.  And it was the lowest point total for a 4th place team in how long?  We were so fortunate to be top 4 last year.  

I think defensively when Silva is back we can be fine.  But offensively it's been struggle. 

Been a while since I’ve watched a game live, first while 90 with TT in charge. Thought I’d like to share my observations.

1. We are too slow playing out from the back. By the time we get to the half way line usually all 11 Southampton players were in there own half and this congrats the midfield, forcing us to play wide or even bypass the midfielders. I thought we looked better at the start of the 2nd half when we let them have the ball a little more and the game opened up a bit.

2. Alonso is too slow to be LWB. It is probably his best position but there were a few occasions where his lack of pace left a few opportunities begging.

3. Kante is Makalele reincarnated, but runs around too much. He is just as good as Maka was at breaking up play. If he stays in position more, like Maka did, we probably won’t need to play with 3 at the back, and would help to balance the midfield, allowing 2 no. 8’s to do the running. Yes, a lot of his running is pressing but I think our midfielders were running into each other’s space too often. He’s in his 30’s now (I think) and he could perhaps sustain his career by learning to read the game more than running around as much as he does.

3. With 3 at the back I think Jorginho and Kova are better options in midfield than Kante. At least against weaker opposition.

4. Mount is Lamps mkII, just without the long range threat.

5. Werner clearly does not have the qualities to be the lone striker in our setup. I do think he’d have scored 40 goals if he was at Liverpool last season.

3 minutes ago, Browerkid said:

Every team faded around us last year for us to make top 4.  And it was the lowest point total for a 4th place team in how long?  We were so fortunate to be top 4 last year.  

I think defensively when Silva is back we can be fine.  But offensively it's been struggle. 

If you ask me, Leicester was the team that couldn't keep up. We held our own there, Man United finished the season strong they came up and up and finished higher than us in the end but part from Leicester losing steam I didn't feel like other teams faded, Wolves were close by but never really had the top 4 for real and Liverpool and Man City were clearly finishing 1st and 2nd.

We have our own problems but the season is far from over, we're still to see how we do against our biggest opponents. I personally feel like this tactic with the 3 at the back isn't our style.

33 minutes ago, loz said:

Odoi believes some fictitious hype,

The main reason I have very high hopes for this young man is that you don't rate him.

How the hell are you anyhow? Hope all is good despite the current sh*tshow.

26 minutes ago, Liam said:

The main reason I have very high hopes for this young man is that you don't rate him.

How the hell are you anyhow? Hope all is good despite the current sh*tshow.

Like Val, I miss your brother. 

5 hours ago, Gol15 said:

We only made Top 4 last season cause Leicester capitulated at the end. We got lucky.

That was bad. Really bad. 

I am sick of watching us in truth. Every single game under TT has been a walk in the park for the opposition goalkeeper. 

Today it was McCarthy only having to take goal kicks, stop a Rudiger 40 roller and pick it out from the pen. Even Ramsdale had it easy.

Southampton are cr*p. They let in 9 goals, 9 flippin goals to United and we only score because of a pen? 

Playing Christensen and we dont conceded the goal, Zouma was useless, play Jorginho and we dont have Kante and Kovacic being useless together. For all of the times Kante won the ball his passing is appalling.

Worst of all TT hooks CHO when Alonso, James and Werner had all being equally useless. That was pitifully poor and spiteful management.

That was a horrible game, horrible performance by team and manager and the only one to get any credit at all is surprise surprise Mason Mount.

Awful.

14 hours ago, dkw said:

So you honestly think the way to get the best out of a young player who has been one of your best players since arriving at a club, while being played out of position but has done everything you've asked so far, is to tale him off 20 minutes after being subbed 9n then slag him right off of TV? Ha ha, don't be so ridiculous. 

Wow you really think that players only respond to kindness? That's really naive 😕 

14 hours ago, Luca Vialli said:

The last six teams that played them didn't have any problems creating chances, A half assed Man U side with one exceptional player put nine past them and made about 16 goal scoring chances.

Why don't we have shots on goal anymore? Zieych looks like he's forgotten what a football is. What on earth happened to these players?

We've gone from having great attacking potential to one of the worst teams to watch in the league.

I think it had happened long before Tuchel arrived on the scene, though.

I know a few Lampard fans are still bitter about his dismissal and happy to put down TT any chance they get but, to be fair, these issues were present long before Tuchel turned up at Cobham, in fact they were the biggest reason Frank was let go. Tuchel has to find a way to make it work but just like Lamps who inherited somebody else's side which he couldn't initially improve through transfer market due to the ban, TT is basically trying to make do with what he's got after taking over halfway through the season, only unlike Frank he didn't have time to implement his ideas effectively, let alone improve the squad through the transfer market. It's not his fault all our new arrivals? except for Silva, have been struggling to make any impact and the rest of the squad lacks individual quality to various degrees.

8 hours ago, bluesfan said:

We only made Top 4 last season cause Leicester capitulated at the end. We got lucky.

We deserved to make top 4 last season.

Manchester United's rise and Leicester's capitulation after Christmas was the difference for them.

It’s all so depressing at times - we were awful again.

We have a lot of very average players, who, as a collective are also average - if we are honest, we aren’t a good enough side to challenge for trophy’s with this crop of players, I’m afraid to say, we don’t even play exciting football. 

Out of all of this, what is completely evident is Mr A needs to get the Amex card out again this summer and get someone who knows something about football and footballers to spend his money , cause who ever bought the last lot and Kepa knows f**k all - IMO .

24 minutes ago, Paddy said:

It’s all so depressing at times - we were awful again.

We have a lot of very average players, who, as a collective are also average - if we are honest, we aren’t a good enough side to challenge for trophy’s with this crop of players, I’m afraid to say, we don’t even play exciting football. 

Out of all of this, what is completely evident is Mr A needs to get the Amex card out again this summer and get someone who knows something about football and footballers to spend his money , cause who ever bought the last lot and Kepa knows f**k all - IMO .

We have some very good players, I don’t agree with this average tag.

Havertz- coveted by a host of clubs.

Werner- Scored for fun last season and still making good runs.

Pulisic- if he can get the injuries under control, a very big threat.

Mount- One of England’s brightest young talents.

CHO- Skill, pace, any top team would love him.

James- Playing right back for England a position that they have 5-6 options.

I could go on, it’s for the manager to make these players into an effective team, on paper our current squad is easily top 4.

If it was deemed Frank wasn’t the man to get a tune out of this very talented squad, and we needed an upgrade, then that upgrade should be noticeable and so far it isn’t.

These set of fixtures were perfect for Tuchel taking over and they have been hard to get points in all them. Take away pens and defenders goals where are we going as an attacking team.

you can’t play 5 at the back and another 2 defensive players against a team in such bad form. You can keep possession with more forward talented players and put them under pressure and score two or three goals. 

These next set of fixtures will be very interesting for everyone. Inside the club, us supporters and the media. This will be when Tuchel will be judged on whether he has made a difference. No excuses on whose players they are as these are targets of the club and not the coaches.