Southampton v Chelsea (PL) Sat 20th Feb 2021 12:30 GMT

Clearly giving the entire squad a work out....I still don't like the idea of Dave playing every game, his legs have gone, he'll get run ragged today...I'm OK with the midfield if Kante sticks to the game plan although with CHO and Ziyech on the bench I am assuming James will be pushing up further 

Edited by CFCCAN
2 minutes ago, I Am Gay 4 Diegod said:

That lineup is horrible. Same mistake as Frank breaking up kova and Jorginho to shoehorn Kante. 

why the f**k do we have a fit again Havertz not Even on the bench put two lb’s??!!?

I agree to breaking up the Kova-Jorginho partnership but we have huge game in the week so he has to rest some players and it's better against Southampton no disrespect to them but they ain't Atletico.

4 minutes ago, I Am Gay 4 Diegod said:

That lineup is horrible. Same mistake as Frank breaking up kova and Jorginho to shoehorn Kante. 

why the f**k do we have a fit again Havertz not Even on the bench put two lb’s??!!?

Yeah don’t understand the 2LB’s

Love it - assume that's Zouma between Azpilicueta and Rüdiger though?

Interesting to see that Tuchel has binned off Jorginho for this one - resting him for the Atlético game or is it because Southampton are the first team he's faced who are likely to exert some actual pressure on the ball when they're out of possession?

Happy to see Zouma and Mendy recalled. Not sure about kova and kante in midfield.I’ve always felt it’s the weakest combination as they both roam leaving us vulnerable at the back and neither are prolific goal scorers/assist providers to make up for that. Hopefully playing 5 at the back sort out the defensive vulnerability of that midfield partnership.

Edited by Dubair

Don’t know but he’s  been the most disappointing signing so far I can remember was really looking forward to him coming into a team playing well and seeing if he could help with Werner in this system. Huge gaps in between the cbs and Cm today will happen I’m 100% sure unless kova sits for Kante which takes away 70% of his game. 

Another opportunity to find out if Kante has any remaining pretensions to being world class ... suspect TT is falling down the same rabbit hole as his predecessors here ...

I guess with the injuries, it boils down to Emerson vs Anjorin for the last bench place. I'm still disappointed that Emerson wins that one. Simply don't see the point of having 2 left backs on the bench AGAIN. Also a bit concerned that none of the back 3 are what I would call comfortable on the ball !

Should still be enough to comfortably win the game - I hope we start fast and strong to set the tone for the game though.

12 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:

Clearly giving the entire squad a work out....I still don't like the idea of Dave playing every game, his legs have gone, he'll get run ragged today...I'm OK with the midfield if Kante sticks to the game plan although with CHO and Ziyech on the bench I am assuming James will be pushing up further 

CB is not taxing job physically, that is why usually team carry 3 cb+1

18 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Yeah don’t understand the 2LB’s

I imagine because of the Cup game he sees him in more like the Azpi position but on the left. Idk if thats a good idea thou.

Edited by Nevamind

It makes sense to rest CHO , Christensen and Jorginho with Athletico on the horizon but i feel like this is going to be a carbon copy of the barnsley game were we couldnt bring the ball up or beat the press because of Zoumas and Kantes poor passing abililities . To make things worse Southampton are also playing the 3421 formation.

I am honestly pessimistic about the quality of our game today and the result. I just hope Tuchel switches to a back 4 once he realizes that

13 minutes ago, Bluesince66 said:

I feel the Havertz situation is a really strange one.

I feel he’s in exactly the same boat as Thiago Silva. Why rush them back to play the worst form team in the league when they can rest up a bit more for the game midweek?