Atletico Madrid v Chelsea (CL) Tues 23rd Feb 2021 20:00 GMT

9 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

I think a part of it was that Tuchel is thinking more about Atletico than about the Saints too, but for that reason and for the reputation of Atletico being tight in defense we must be clinical, miss a big change and it counts like missing 2 or 3 of them.

Though I expect a different type of game and seeing that we play on a neutral ground this might be a very unorthodox game for us, I can see more than 3 goals scored this game, specially if we open up with Kante which would be a double edged sword for us.

The only way I see more than 3 goals is if they absolutely batter us 😂

1 minute ago, Wearyourcolours said:

The only way I see more than 3 goals is if they absolutely batter us 😂

It could happen we can't rule it out, if you ask me they are the favorites in this matchup. But we could also start the game well, get a surprise early goal and end up scoring a few more when the game opens up...

20 hours ago, ducavis said:

Needs to switch tactics, and tempted to go 4-3-3 for this one with Giroud on top.

This 3-4-2-1 with 8 players behind the ball is just about done. 

You realise we attack with 5 and defend with 5 that's the whole point of the formation to make sure we don't get caught at the back. Sometimes the outside right CB joins along with one of the 6 in the middle. So 7 attacking 3 defending so where is this 8 behind the ball come from!!!🤦🏾

This framework has great potential we are just sloppy around the 18 with our passing it's either over hit under hit infromt or behind. We are just missing that final bit.

If we had gone into this match under Lampard we would have two chances zero and none at least now there is hope however slight it might be.

Edited by Brutos
2 hours ago, Gol15 said:

It could happen we can't rule it out, if you ask me they are the favorites in this matchup. But we could also start the game well, get a surprise early goal and end up scoring a few more when the game opens up...

That could happen but we haven't managed to beat a team comfortably (by more than 2 goals) in 2021, with the exception of Morecambe in the FA Cup. This team doesn't seem to do 'comfortable wins'

Well, one thing that might work in our favour is that both teams have to travel due to Spain’s COVID rules , so no ‘home’ advantage in this leg for either side ? 

Bucharest here we come , it’s an almost 4 hour flight from Madrid and slightly more from London - it might help? 

I was there last time we played this fixture it was brilliant at the new Wanda stadium. 

Great atmosphere, late winner, brilliant. They kept the fans back about an hour in the stadium anticipating trouble which wasn’t great but all in all top game, top night. 

And of course that was the night the best chant never used was formulated. If I could have no chance I wouldn’t have gone to this one. 

What a brilliant tie ahead! Win or lose I love seeing Chelsea play top European matches against top sides. The football is also much more tactical in CL. I kind of wish Prem was a bit more like that. Prem is all energy. 

We are clear underdogs here. Simeone will say we are the favourites here but we all know it is bullsh*t. They have a matured, experienced CL side with great players. 

Anyway the key to our successful is to play the best football we can and to have some luck. We are not scoring right now and Atletico is one of the best defensive sides in Europe. 

It could be a fresh start to some of our players so I am hoping someone like Pulisic is really up for it. 

A Madrid fans are saying they play attacking possession based football nowadays, with Simeone sometimes reverting back to ‘the Atletico way’ in big games.

It’s a coin flip to how they’re going to play but I think it’d be a smart move to revert to Atletico football if they want to frustrate us.

I reckon 1 - 1, Thiago Silva MOTM.

3 hours ago, JM7 said:

Can someone explain that stat? We surely must have? Is that the tie or the match?

Both the tie and the match as we haven't got past round of 16 since then. When you look at our opponents over the years it is no wonder why.

The last win was that game against Paris when Demba Ba scored. 

36 minutes ago, wizardous said:

Both the tie and the match as we haven't got past round of 16 since then. When you look at our opponents over the years it is no wonder why.

The last win was that game against Paris when Demba Ba scored. 

So thats what, 6 games in total? 15/6, 17/18, 19/20?