Atletico Madrid v Chelsea (CL) Tues 23rd Feb 2021 20:00 GMT

Mod Stark

17 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

I'd take him as our manager in a heartbeat. Reason they are winning La Lisa by 6 points against some pretty good teams.

We won thanks to a Giroud masterpiece but let's not get carried away. Similarly they lost thanks to one mistake. Still a long way to go in the tie.

Lets not forget they are missing key players to injury and suspension like Carrasco, Trippier, Giminez

Fantastic result. After a shaky start, we defended really well. We kept going, kept our concentration, got a great goal and saw the game out. Really disappointed that Mount and Jorginho will be missing for the return leg. Thought they were our best players. Going to be tough without them. Wasn’t expecting that good a performance to be fair, but that was a really professional and disciplined display. Christensen, Rudiger and Alonso at the back were terrific. Never thought I’d say that a month ago. 

46 minutes ago, sonic90 said:

Suarez is such a c**t, apparently he grabbed Rudiger and dug his nails into his leg which is why he squared up to him on the touchline, got a corner out of it as well the bastard.

In the PL he was mostly just a diver and one time biter but he's really turned into something else since.

Liverpool have produced some of the best divers in the world ....

1 hour ago, Spiller86 said:

I'd take him as our manager in a heartbeat. Reason they are winning La Lisa by 6 points against some pretty good teams.

We won thanks to a Giroud masterpiece but let's not get carried away. Similarly they lost thanks to one mistake. Still a long way to go in the tie.

He’s the highest paid manager in La Liga and one of the highest in the world. That said I don’t like their style. And yes the lead is narrow but in no sense was it less than we deserved. In this game we were thoroughly competitive and looked as if we belonged in Europe. We played European style against a top team, matched them and won the game. We will be under pressure at the Bridge and we always have a mistake in us, but it’s a pretty good team Chelsea. 

Brilliant result. It was always going to be tight with the way Atletico Madrid plays, but that away goal is precious.

About time something goes our way with VAR. That was a quality goal by Giroud.

Mount's going to be a big loss for the second leg.

Suarez is still a c**t. Some things don't change.

Bring on the second leg!

6 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

You're right of course, but let's savour our win over those diving c**ts!

Well that was bloody good wasn't it? Expected to lose by a goal or two, but we produced a dominating performance. I really can't understand why they attempted to play like a lower end Premier league side, for a team at the top of their own league... Either way Giroud's goal was worthy of a win! Hopefully it's much of the same in the second game, but I get the feeling they're not going to sit 10 men behind the ball next time round.

8 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

But let me guess, before the game you said this is his first big test? Give some credit where it's due, we just made one of the best sides in Europe look like a Championship team. 

Any goal conceded can be seen as a "mistake", we were constantly in their box, something was bound to happen eventually and it did, they paid the price. 

Although the goal was fortunate in a way, we were clearly the better team on the field, they were never looked like scoring unless someone makes a huge mistake like the previous 2 goals we conceded. With the attacking options on the bench, we'd be favourite heading into the last quarter of the game. Of course the tie is not over, they are capable to beat us with a 2:1, but then again they'd have to come out and play an expansive game, which no team has really done it against us since Tuchel took over.

1 minute ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Although the goal was fortunate in a way, we were clearly the better team on the field, they were never looked like scoring unless someone makes a huge mistake like the previous 2 goals we conceded. With the attacking options on the bench, we'd be favourite heading into the last quarter of the game. Of course the tie is not over, they are capable to beat us with a 2:1, but then again they'd have to come out and play an expansive game, which no team has really done it against us since Tuchel took over.

Teams have came to score against us to be fair, this isn't true. The teams that have sat back and tried to counter us are Wolves, Spurs and Atletico. Every other team, Burnley, Sheffield, Barnsley and Newcastle all came to play and tried to score goals. 

Atletico have no choice but to come forward now and try to score goals, we have the advantage, now they'll be more open. However, the tie is far from over, I wasn't confident about this game going into it at all, so I know the threat Atletico have. They'll be in shock at how badly they played against us, they'll definitely be fired up next game. 

48 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

Wonder if TT will set us up for the counter in the next leg, rather than play possession football ? We only need a draw ...

Kante in for Jorginho and Pulisic in for Mount would sit quite nicely with that change of tactics ...

I wouldn’t play counter attacking football, Atletico are far too good and will find a way through eventually. They’ll be near full strength for the 2nd leg, a completely different team.

I think our best defence is attack. Keep the ball, dominate the game and hope we find a way through. Do not give them a chance to execute their game plan.

1 hour ago, KonaKai Blue said:

With the size of our squad the loss of mount and Jorgino should be no excuse for us to regress so badly.

Bring in Kai. He's had almost the entire season off now its time to step up and play what you signed for.

For Mount we have Pulisic, Ziyech, Havertz and even Kante to come in. For Jorginho though, a bit more problematic but I guess Kante-Kovacic is the answer unless we play Gilmour.

22 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

I wouldn’t play counter attacking football, Atletico are far too good and will find a way through eventually. They’ll be near full strength for the 2nd leg, a completely different team.

I think our best defence is attack. Keep the ball, dominate the game and hope we find a way through. Do not give them a chance to execute their game plan.

You may well be right ... I am sure TT will figure something out that gets us through though 🙂

10 hours ago, Socrates said:

Fantastic result. After a shaky start, we defended really well. We kept going, kept our concentration, got a great goal and saw the game out. Really disappointed that Mount and Jorginho will be missing for the return leg. Thought they were our best players. Going to be tough without them. Wasn’t expecting that good a performance to be fair, but that was a really professional and disciplined display. Christensen, Rudiger and Alonso at the back were terrific. Never thought I’d say that a month ago. 

Good points.