Atletico Madrid v Chelsea (CL) Tues 23rd Feb 2021 20:00 GMT

9 minutes ago, dkw said:

i just cant see us scoring a goal in this game, we can barely create against the lesser Premier League teams so how will we get anything against one of the best defenses in europe.

They have 1 win in last 4 and have conceded 6 goals in those fixtures.

In the Champions League they scraped into the last 16 with a fortunate win against Salzburgin the final game of the group stage, a game Salzburg dominated (Salzburg hit the post 3 times & Oblak pulling a world class save when the game was level).

In addition Carasco has been their best performer in the CL this season and he is out due to injury, they are favorites but I think we have a decent shout at coming away with a win. 

Obviously them missing Jiminez is a big bonus for us, but their form is irrelevant I think. They are going to turn up to a game as big as this, and Simeone is a cracking manager. His team do turn up to the big games, I can't see Atletico turning up to this one jaded, complacent or whatever, if we beat them, we'll have to display a great deal of quality. 

I'm not hopeful though. I think we have a lot of issues at the moment when it comes to finishing our chances. And if we go by last game, creating chances. I'm more interested to see who Tuchel goes with, a lot of options. We could see some surprise appearances tonight. But I  think he'll go with the same team as last game with the exceptions of Zouma and Tammy, Christensen will probably be back in there and rightfully so. But we might see Pulisic in there with Werner in the middle. 

6 hours ago, Bluesince66 said:

Match day,major test for the boys,but I for one don't feel we are totally out of the tie,as Greavsie said "Footballs a funny old game".

FB_IMG_1614070639714.jpg

Someone tell Timo to turn off electrical devices, it looks like they're coming into land, Havertz needs to sit down and and buckle up and Puli needs to buckle up and stop looking at Ziyechs cock. Bloody bunch of rebels

On 21/02/2021 at 12:33, Munkworth said:

Isn’t Suarez a million years old and injury prone by now?

Yeah he keeps dislocating his jaw and breaking his chompers. Expect him to go off at HT with a mouth related injury

Edited by Malta Blue

Looking at it from Madrid's point of view I think their main aim will be not to lose and give away any away goals, I am sure Simeone will believe that if he gets away with a 0-0 or  worst case scenario 1-1 they can have a go at the bridge with most likely Gimenez and Carasco back in the lineup. 

I hope Tuchel senses that Madrid will most likely be weaker in the first leg tonight and have a go, if he can somehow get the game to open up by either opting to go with a back 4 which should entice Madrid to be a little more open or if we somehow manage to score early. I hope we don't go with the view of keeping the tie alive and bringing the fixture home to do the business, something Mourinho tried and paid a hefty price at the Bridge.

16 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

At least we have VAR now, Suarez won’t get away with pretending he’s been elbowed in the teeth or diving for a penalty.

Suarez is the only player in the world that can be elbowed in the teeth several yard outside of the box and win a penalty. 

I won't be surprised if we go with the same team we had against Spurs (With Christensen instead of Silva) and Mount operating as the false 9.

I think we will find out who Tuchel's preferred starting 11 are in this game and personally I don't think he rates Tammy and Giroud all that high or doesn't consider them a good fit for the direction he wants to take this squad.

I've just moved over to London from Dublin today and staying in the millennium Hotel at the bridge. Can any one tell me where I can watch tonight's match? Don't have it in my room and the lady on reception said it'll be on in the hotel lobby but I can't sit down and watch it there, even though the lady that was on reception earlier today said I could. Cheers tia

It's five subs in the CL this season, right? Don't know if it'll help us but certainly gives TT more room for maneuver, if he decides to change things around as the game progresses.

As for the actual match, Atletico are clear favourites, they're top of La Liga, top squad with a very experienced manager and they have been there before and know what it takes to win these kind of games. Still, there's always a chance for upset, a monumental effort on our part and a bit of luck can swing the outcome our way.