On a brighter note from our “toothless Tuchel attacking” ..

We have the second best defence in the league this year ! Really impressive considering how many goals we have let in at the start of the season (West Brom, Southampton etc) 

should state the important columns are  first from the left Goal  conceded, and third from the left clean sheets. If that doesn’t make sense it’s because I’ve had a space cake. Sorry. 

1 Manchester City 15 0.60 15
2 Chelsea 25 1.00 11
3 Arsenal 26 1.04 8
4 Aston Villa 26 1.08 13
5 Leicester City 27 1.08 9
6 Tottenham Hotspur 27 1.08 8
7 West Ham United 29 1.16 9
8 Burnley 30 1.20 9
9 Brighton & Hove Albion 32 1.28 8
10 Fulham 32 1.28 7
11 Manchester United 32 1.28 8
12 Wolverhampton Wanderers 32 1.28 7
13 Everton 33 1.32 6
14 Liverpool 34 1.36 6
15 Sheffield United 41 1.64 1
16 Southampton 43 1.65 9
17 Crystal Palace 43 1.72 4
18 Leeds United 43 1.72 8
19 Newcastle United 43 1.72 4
20 West Bromwich Albion 55 2.20 3

Edited by I Am Gay 4 Diegod

I like Tuchels pragmatism so far.

I think he looks at it as the fastest way to get consistency and the results needed to compete both in the league and in the Champions League which I believe Tuchel believe we might win.

If he, like Lampard focused on the attack first we’d look like a more exciting side but we find ourselves in the business end of the season now and going for control and a lower-risk kind of football seems like the best strategy at this time.

As Ferguson once said: “Attack wins you games, defence wins you titles”

4 minutes ago, Sindre said:

I think he looks at it as the fastest way to get consistency and the results needed to compete both in the league and in the Champions League which I believe Tuchel believe we might win.

If he, like Lampard focused on the attack first we’d look like a more exciting side but we find ourselves in the business end of the season now and going for control and a lower-risk kind of football seems like the best strategy at this time.

Defence is always the priority for any new manager, or at least it should be so its no surprise to see Tuchel concentrate on that. But our defence wasnt bad when he came, it was a hell of a lot better than last season, as RMH says we had a load of clean sheets early this season. Now though we are going into a run of very difficult games where we will need our attack to show a huge improvement if we want to take 3 points from any of them.

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

Defence is always the priority for any new manager, or at least it should be so its no surprise to see Tuchel concentrate on that. But our defence wasnt bad when he came, it was a hell of a lot better than last season, as RMH says we had a load of clean sheets early this season. Now though we are going into a run of very difficult games where we will need our attack to show a huge improvement if we want to take 3 points from any of them.

Agree with everything you said here.

I haven't seen Mendy pre Tuchel very much but the game against Atletico would make me think you'd need a new goalie if you really want to compete for the top titles. That and a shark-like striker.

Edited by weetee
Just now, weetee said:

I haven't seen Mendy pre Tuchel very mutch but the game against Atletico would make me think you'd need a new goalie if you really want to compete for the top titles. That and a shark-like striker.

Mendy is an odd one, I think there's some good quality there, he's a monster in the air but he's also too eager to get the ball, and he pulls out some good saves. But that Atletico game he almost f**ked us at the start, a very nervy start from him. I prefer Kepa on the ball, but I can't stand Kepa other than that, so I'll always pick Mendy ahead of him. 

It's just a question of is Mendy good enough to be our number 1? 

9 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Mendy is an odd one, I think there's some good quality there, he's a monster in the air but he's also too eager to get the ball, and he pulls out some good saves. But that Atletico game he almost f**ked us at the start, a very nervy start from him. I prefer Kepa on the ball, but I can't stand Kepa other than that, so I'll always pick Mendy ahead of him. 

Yes, but like I wrote I haven't seen much of him so no "final" judgment here on my part - far from it. The games I saw he was doing well but the defensive approach of Tuchel definitely plays its part. Haven't seen much of Kepa either after the incident with Sarri which makes him somewhat of a persona non grata in my eyes but who knows - I'm also a fan of second chances. Read over here that he's prone for some mistakes as well so there is that too - although I guess if he can work on his concentration or whatever it is that is blocking him he's probably the better prospect (although I can understand everybody who would love to see him go asap).

39 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Keepers now have such a big responsibility playing out and being sweeper keepers they will occasionally f**k up and badly, even the creative "sexy" keepers Ederson, Ter Stegan and Neuer have had some hilarious fails down the years. Given Mendy was playing for lesser teams where (i'm assuming) there was no big playing out/sweeping expectations a couple of years ago i think he's done fine. Yes he got away with one Tuesday and yes he will likely make a big blooper at some point but it's the nature of the beast, constantly ask a keeper to find solutions under pressure the odd time it will backfire.

Edited by Argo
2 minutes ago, Argo said:

Keepers now have such a big responsibility playing out and being sweeper keepers they will occasionally f**k up and badly, even the creative "sexy" keepers Ederson, Ter Stegan and Neuer have had some hilarious fails down the years. Given Mendy was playing for lesser teams where (i'm assuming) there was no big playing out/sweeping expectations a couple of years ago i think he's done fine. Yes he got away with one Tuesday and yes he will likely make a big blooper at some point but it's the nature of the beast, constantly ask a keeper to find solutions under pressure the odd time it will backfire.

Mendy is actually the opposite of Kepa when it comes aerial ability. Kepa prefers to leave it even sometimes when it's in his 6 yard box. Mendy constantly tries to catch it or push it away even at times when it's not necessary. Like the penalty he gave away against Everton for example. 

Edited by Slojo
22 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Mendy is actually the opposite of Kepa when it comes aerial ability. Kepa prefers to leave it even sometimes when it's in his 6 yard box. Mendy constantly tries to catch it or push it away even at times when it's not necessary. Like the penalty he gave away against Everton for example. 

Having Mendy means the opponent doesn't try to shoot from 30 yards out as much. That's a huge advantage over Kepa. 

Mendy's timing when 1v1 can improve though. Mendy should be our No. 1 until we find someone better than him. 

12 minutes ago, Deino said:

Having Mendy means the opponent doesn't try to shoot from 30 yards out as much. That's a huge advantage over Kepa. 

Mendy's timing when 1v1 can improve though. Mendy should be our No. 1 until we find someone better than him. 

Honestly i don't know if this is just me but there's a lot of "simple" saves Mendy makes where I think to myself that flies in on Kepa's watch and in the process is made to look unsavable.

28 minutes ago, Argo said:

Honestly i don't know if this is just me but there's a lot of "simple" saves Mendy makes where I think to myself that flies in on Kepa's watch and in the process is made to look unsavable.

I sometimes think De Gea's saves look much better than they are because he's a smaller goalkeeper. When a keeper saves a shot by stretching as wide as he can, it always looks like a great save, well the likes of De Gea have to do that regardless due to their height. 

That goal from Zaha against us last season, it looked like a screamer at first glance, afterwards it was right at Kepa and he should've saved it. What mostly annoys me about Kepa, and it's not how bad he is in the air, it's how weak his wrists are. For me, Mendy should always play and that's that. I've gave up on Kepa completely. 

5 hours ago, Sindre said:

Regarding the Ferguson quote. The 1995/96 season proved that. 

13 hours ago, Slojo said:

I have a feeling the board never saw Mendy as a long term no 1, I just hope they’re not expecting Kepa to suddenly become world class.

1 hour ago, Strider6003 said:

And maybe also our defensive midfielders.

I think it's more the midfield he doesn't have faith in, our defence was mostly very good this season before Tuchel came .

21 minutes ago, dkw said:

I think it's more the midfield he doesn't have faith in, our defence was mostly very good this season before Tuchel came .

Not in December or early January we conceded a lot.

Now if we had been scoring a lot it would not have mattered yet we weren't:

Everton 1-0 loss

Wolves 2-1 loss

Arsenal 3-1 loss

Man City 3-1 loss

Leicester 2-0 loss

1 hour ago, Strider6003 said:

Not in December or early January we conceded a lot.

Now if we had been scoring a lot it would not have mattered yet we weren't:

Everton 1-0 loss

Wolves 2-1 loss

Arsenal 3-1 loss

Man City 3-1 loss

Leicester 2-0 loss

Says it all really, our attack was dire during the run that cost Frank his job. Just looking at those fixtures thats 3 goals scored and 11 goals conceded in 5 games....

Edited by LongtimerLurker