Chelsea v Everton (PL) Mon 8th Mar 2021 18:00 GMT

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Big opportunity, 3rd game in a row. 

Did not take it against a vastly overrated United, did against the Champions.

Now one of the two dark horses for the top 4. We made a statement tonight, we need to make another one on monday.

Mad to think however Everton are more dangerous up top than either United or Liverpool of late, and they have a terrific manager.

Next 6 pointer. I hope havertz gets more minutes, kova comes back for Kante and cho for RJ. Big effort to play so many high pressure games so quick;y. Truth is that like ManC and ManU we have depth in the squad that will allow some rotation and keep the team fresh enough in the home stretch. My thought is that Toffees ,  Spammers and Foxes don’t have that same depth. 

Just now, Valhalla said:

This one is the one I'm scared off. Utd and pool are on bad form whereas everton are playing well. I expect a much tougher game. Win here and I top 4 is ours is to lose.

Yea, at least they play football and do not depend on a purely destructive approach which will benefit us overall I guess. I can see a rather high scoring game coming in.

No first big test jokes? I'm disappointed. 

Anyway, defensively we look excellent. But got to get producing again, I wouldn't mind seeing Ziyech playing this game. He's definitely not a fan favourite at the moment but I think we need a more attacking approach. Everton aren't exactly Southampton but we have to take the game to them and win this one. Get CHO back at RWB, and I would go for the Jorginho-Kovacic in the middle for this one. 

42 minutes ago, Slojo said:

No first big test jokes? I'm disappointed. 

Alright I'll step in and say that the second leg against Atletico will be his first real test since he really can lose something there. Barnsley was the other one until now and he just barely passed it. I personally blame Gilmore for that but that's up for debate. Everything inbetween was more or less bouncing hither and tither.

Edited by weetee

7 hours ago, ozboy said:

Next 6 pointer. I hope havertz gets more minutes, kova comes back for Kante and cho for RJ. Big effort to play so many high pressure games so quick;y. Truth is that like ManC and ManU we have depth in the squad that will allow some rotation and keep the team fresh enough in the home stretch. My thought is that Toffees ,  Spammers and Foxes don’t have that same depth. 

Need proper defenders who have pace and 90+ minutes in their legs, no place for cho imo  -  RJ and Chilli keep the wingback positions for sure, cho will get opportunities but not to start against a top 4 rival contender.

Argo has mentioned, with some justification, Kante being crowbarred into the team because ......he’s kante, but last night he and Jorginho , in the system employed by TT, worked just fine, so if it don’t broke let it be - feel for kova but he’ll get his go too.

Like so many others on this forum I haven’t got the foggiest idea as to the answer to the two imponderable questions of the moment;

A) what did gol do to get banned ?    and     B) What the f**k does Ziyech do ?

I would happily see Kepa have a run out in place of Ziyech, but Havertz would do , he couldn’t be any worse than the chocolate teapot that Ziyech is ffs.

Gol did criticise the members and forum rather rudely when a number of bloggers were opposing his views, that may have been it. 

I thought we rode our luck against Liverpool that miskick by Mane in our box was huge as no-one was near him.

There may have been another sub plot working in our favour too, Mane's feud with Salah.

Footy365 showed a couple of challenges where Mane should have gone down for the penalty appeal but didn't and they suspect because he did not want Salah scoring penalties as he wants to be top club scorer. Whether true or not another ref may have given those. 

Of course we had the goal ruled out by VAR and you can only play to the ref.

Back to Everton, Tommy Tactics is up against a wily opponent in Carlo. Carlo will have a plan just as TT will. After seeing Kante back and playing well and CHO performing better as WB I'll just look forward to this one.

Rotation will be in order, it has kept us fresh.

Everton sat back and countered us to good effect at home, and having seen Liverpool try their offensive game and it not work against us I dont think we can expect Carlo to do anything different.

Everton are also a threat on set pieces so I think thar means Alonso returns and with a lack of space left behind James to stay in and Giroud to return.

Mendy

Azpi

Christensen

Rudiger

James

Kovacic

Jorginho

Alonso

Ziyech

Giroud

Mount

I think James + Alonso at the same time is too defensive. And while I believe that Tuchel would have been somewhat ok with a draw against Liverpool I do think he will - within the given system - go for the win against Everton. Maybe a surprise back four, wouldn't put it past him, but nevertheless unlikely because that would mean at least some additional prep during training and there simply wasn't any time for that I'd think.

If fully fit I guess we see CHO and a fresh Alonso again. The double pivot will be interesting, I could see TT give the Kante + Kova pairing some time since they will likely play vs. Atletico but probably not now in the starting formation.

3 minutes ago, weetee said:

I think James + Alonso at the same time is too defensive. And while I believe that Tuchel would have been somewhat ok with a draw against Liverpool I do think he will - within the given system - go for the win against Everton. Maybe a surprise back four, wouldn't put it past him, but nevertheless unlikely because that would mean at least some additional prep during training and there simply wasn't any time for that I'd think.

If fully fit I guess we see CHO and a fresh Alonso again. The double pivot will be interesting, I could see TT give the Kante + Kova pairing some time since they will likely play vs. Atletico but probably not now in the starting formation.

Alonso being too defensive a choice...aye dont agree of that one.

Os who I think TT will pick.

6 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Alonso being too defensive a choice...aye dont agree of that one.

Os who I think TT will pick.

I mean he's a bit too slow. I don't think we'll see James and Alonso together that much anytime soon - same as CHO and Chilwell as they'd be too offensive. I thought he (Alonso) worked quite ok with CHO on the other side.

27 minutes ago, weetee said:

I mean he's a bit too slow. I don't think we'll see James and Alonso together that much anytime soon - same as CHO and Chilwell as they'd be too offensive. I thought he (Alonso) worked quite ok with CHO on the other side.

Fair point CHO and Chilwell are much faster.

2 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Gol did criticise the members and forum rather rudely when a number of bloggers were opposing his views, that may have been it. 

I thought we rode our luck against Liverpool that miskick by Mane in our box was huge as no-one was near him.

There may have been another sub plot working in our favour too, Mane's feud with Salah.

Footy365 showed a couple of challenges where Mane should have gone down for the penalty appeal but didn't and they suspect because he did not want Salah scoring penalties as he wants to be top club scorer. Whether true or not another ref may have given those. 

Of course we had the goal ruled out by VAR and you can only play to the ref.

Back to Everton, Tommy Tactics is up against a wily opponent in Carlo. Carlo will have a plan just as TT will. After seeing Kante back and playing well and CHO performing better as WB I'll just look forward to this one.

Every team rides their luck. 

It was a wonderful, defence testing cross/pass, Ironically, from Salah to Mane - when you play that high line defence, balls over the top to forwards of the speed of Mane will cause problems, but as much as we might have been fortunate , they were too.

On balance we were the better team and by some distance I feel.

Most pleasingly aside from the result was the style of football.

Bring on the toffee’s !!!!

Edited by Paddy

So.im pushing the euphoria of beating the dippers to one side....again a very tough team to come up against...everton are confidently on a good run in a good position...this makes me feel theyll be harder to beat than the red lot....have a feeling 2 2......

#comebackdaveybaby

Mandy

Apzi       Christensen   Rudiger

James          Kante           Kovacic        ChillyWilly

Mount

CHO.                   Tammy