Chelsea v Atletico Madrid (CL) Wed 17th Mar 2021 20:00 GMT

We need Giroud up top. i am sick of this false 9 sh*t

Mendy

Azpi        Christensen     Rudiger

James    Kante          Kovacic           Alonso

CHO        Giroud        Werner

5 hours ago, just said:

I expect this to be totally different to the 1st leg. They have a couple of their first choices available that weren't there for the first game, and we have Mount, our most influential player out.

Tough one to call.

Agreed. The tie is very much in the balance, and Athletico tend to operate well in away games. We have a slight advantage in that we have the lead. But Athletico only need to score once to level the tie and then we would have to worry about away goals if they score again. It will be interesting to see how we approach the game tactically. Do we sit back and hit them on the counter? Or do we attack them and try to put the tie beyond them. Most of our wins under Tuchel have been low-scoring and by narrow margins. So I suspect we will try to defend the lead from the first game. Could be a nervy night.

30 minutes ago, forbzy said:

Agreed. The tie is very much in the balance, and Athletico tend to operate well in away games. We have a slight advantage in that we have the lead. But Athletico only need to score once to level the tie and then we would have to worry about away goals if they score again. It will be interesting to see how we approach the game tactically. Do we sit back and hit them on the counter? Or do we attack them and try to put the tie beyond them. Most of our wins under Tuchel have been low-scoring and by narrow margins. So I suspect we will try to defend the lead from the first game. Could be a nervy night.

Agree with all that Forbzy. I feel they will have to be more adventurous. Joao Felix is back for them so they will arguably carry more threat up front. I couldn't call it either way.

31 minutes ago, just said:

Agree with all that Forbzy. I feel they will have to be more adventurous. Joao Felix is back for them so they will arguably carry more threat up front. I couldn't call it either way.

If that's the case then we need to set up to counter them with pace, Giroud could be the wrong choice for this game.

Werner

Pulisic     Havertz

Alonso  Kovacic  Kante  James

1 hour ago, just said:

Joao Felix played in the first game too.

But i agree, this will be an extremely tough game. Would not be a surprise if it went too extra-time.

1 hour ago, just said:

Pretty sure Joao Felix played the first game and didn't have much impact. However Gimenez is influential in their midfield and will be back for this match.

2 minutes ago, forbzy said:

Pretty sure Joao Felix played the first game and didn't have much impact. However Gimenez is influential in their midfield and will be back for this match.

You're right Forbzy. Just checked the lineups. Felix played Gimenez didn't.

It’s going to be a pretty tough game but I’m quite sure we can go through unless we massively collapse. And I think that Atleti will be thinking more about the league as it’s been a while since they won it last.

TT will not be brave with his team selection and choose a defensive team I think; however not sure how but we need to score first or it might well be a nail biter going and go into ET and possibly penalties.

Even with the 1 goal advantage it's going to be a nerve wrecking game for sure, Atletico has the attack that can score goals even if we managed to nullify it in the first game.

I'm not used to watch our squad without both Mount and Jorginho so I think the rest of the players won't be able to completely make up for them not playing so I hope that Kovacic and Kante will be ready to carry the team with their energy.

Atletico's tactic might be completely different now that they are trailing and their intensity might cause us problems... But on the other hand if we hold on in the first half, by the start of the second we should have much more space for a counter attack and there is where Werner's pace could play a huge role.

I just hope that Atletico doesn't score the first goal of the match early on, we must avoid that.

This is our best chance to progress to the next knockout round that we have had in years so I hope our squad really shows up.

A true character test this one. 

most of the team picks itself. For the front three it’s really three from  havertz, Pulisic, cho, Giroud Werner. 
 My choice would be cho Werner havertz but I can see Giroud getting the role over havertz. 

I expect them to play the same way they did at Anfield last year, stay compact, weather the storm and pick their time to counter. We have a slight advantage, but taken into account it's an empty stadium, no Mount, and they have a lot more experience, it's a pretty even game. Giroud has to start, my guess is the two Germans beside him.

On 14/03/2021 at 17:12, coco said:

If that's the case then we need to set up to counter them with pace, Giroud could be the wrong choice for this game.

Werner

Pulisic     Havertz

Alonso  Kovacic  Kante  James

cat what GIF

Atletico will be playing the same football, but will be more motivated to score which will lead to more aggression, more speed, more quality from their best players.

A good game to test our character. We will be missing Mount and Jorginho, we're lucky to have Kante and Kovacic instead.

I'd like to see this lineup:

---------------- Mendy -------------

-- Azpilicueta - Christensen - Rudiger -

James ---- Kante --- Kovacic -- Chiwell

------ Hudson Odoi --- Werner/Havertz -------

--------------- Giroud ---------------

Werner is working a lot on the pitch, him and CHO on counter would be good enough to beat a team. Havertz who also starting to show a bit of him, offers some quality and mind in the attacking game. Wouldn't mind to see each one of them but next to CHO. He must start this game.

Can't wait for tomorrow already. COME ON CHELS!!!!!!!!