Chelsea v Atletico Madrid (CL) Wed 17th Mar 2021 20:00 GMT

coco

1 hour ago, Dr Gonzo said:

The guy is absolutely immense. Not sure how anyone ever questions him. He'd walk into any team in the world. 

I think this board is so guilty of writing players off all the time. For nearly two years we have heard that hes not the same player, and hes lost it. We should all appreciate the fact we have a player that is the best in the world in his position, and realise how fortunate we are. 

Tuchel has done well getting the best out of serval players. The one to show the most improvement for me has been Rudigier. Much less use of the arms, better on the ball, positioning seems good a lot of the time. Looks like a really top rate defender recently.

Well done Chelsea. We were lucky with the penalty but there are times we will be unlucky so you take what you can get. Havertz's positional play is excellent, he can still be stronger in contested position.

I still feel the attack will click even with the current squad and when it does we will improve further.

The only teams I really don't want us to  face before we have to are Bayern and ManC

At the end of the day, A.Madrid shat the bed. Simeone is a spent force, they need fresh ideas over there, a different face and a change of voice. We were quiet and composed tonight, focused, professional... we got the job done. 

Giroud didn't even have to put his mirror back in his bag and tie his laces. 

10 hours ago, The Brit said:

I’m starting to get a bit nervous now. Just think last night was such a dullfest, chelsea will try to make amends and provide some drama. Can’t see them making it look as easy as citeh made it.

I don’t think we will win the competition but reaching the last 8 would be a pleasant change. It’s been a while.

what was I worried about?! Bring on the last 8!!

2 hours ago, Oli said:

I think this board is so guilty of writing players off all the time. For nearly two years we have heard that hes not the same player, and hes lost it. We should all appreciate the fact we have a player that is the best in the world in his position, and realise how fortunate we are. 

That's because for the past 2 years we have had coaches who didn't play Kante in his right position.. Thankfully Tuchel like Conte knows how to utilize Kante. He is not a box to box midfielder like sarri used him nor is he a holding midfielder like lampard tried to make him. 

It also helps that Tuchel is treating him like a human and offering him rests instead of playing him whenever he can walk

4 hours ago, Ballack & Blu said:

Joe cole just nailed it, we mostly see Kante as a destroyer and runner, but his technical ability is beyond reproach, not many can win a ball, run like Mo farah, and twist n turn like Hazard, now if he could score 10 odd goals a season... 

Based on what you read here that is not good enough. We need him to score 10 goals and 10 assist per season otherwise he is mehh

4 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Some are saying that was Kante's best performance for us, but he's so good that I can remember him having even better games than this.

His performance in the Super Cup against Liverpool was still his best performance for me. 

Completely outplayed pool midfield by himself

4 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

It's got to happen one of these days. It's crazy that we have never played them in this competition before.

It actually isn't when you delve deeper into it.

Us constantly getting to semi's coincided with Real Madrid constantly going out in the RO16, then not long after they finally sorted themselves out in the competition we started getting knocked out at that stage (if we got there atall). I can't be bothered to check the stats but I imagine on the majority of occasions a potential clash in the RO16 was off the table due to both of us topping our group or finishing runners up (off the top of my head that's been the case the last three season's this one included).

The only times there's been significant chances of our paths crossing were 2004, 2012 and 2014 and on every occasion we were in a situation where we would have clashed had we both won our ties but on every occasion one of us failed to do so.

1 hour ago, The Don Antonio said:

That's because for the past 2 years we have had coaches who didn't play Kante in his right position.. Thankfully Tuchel like Conte knows how to utilize Kante. He is not a box to box midfielder like sarri used him nor is he a holding midfielder like lampard tried to make him. 

It also helps that Tuchel is treating him like a human and offering him rests instead of playing him whenever he can walk

It was in my opinion more a rotation/management issue than a positional issue, ever since he got injured under Sarri it's been painfully obvious he needs to be managed more carefully but he was shoehorned in every single game he was fit, regardless of the opponents or tactics we were playing and it inevitably ended up in below par performances (due to a combination of facing deep defenses in a possession based system which was not suiting his skillset and being overplayed) and constant reoccurring injuries.

It's not a coincidence he's producing his best performances in years while he's getting adequate rest/rotation, sitting out games he tends to frustrate and in turn leaving him fresh for the games that do, I've been wanting him managed that way for aslong as I can remember and I'm delighted that's finally happening.

Edited by Argo

5 hours ago, Oli said:

Thats a football fans way unfortunately. I think Christensen has copped more than Kante over the years IMO

3 hours ago, Bob stark said:

Based on what you read here that is not good enough. We need him to score 10 goals and 10 assist per season otherwise he is mehh

Nobody said that about Kante though

9 hours ago, dkw said:

One of the Kante triplets

Even the Dutch commentator said at one point it looked as if there were 3 Kantes on the pitch :biggrin:  

Kante my MOTM, but most of our players had a terrific match. And the few saves Mendy had to make were hugely important.

I love Rudigers performance but he was really playing on the edge. You put one foot wrong, or spill over some of his antics and you might be in trouble. I hope to see a more mature Rudiger in the latter stages. No great Champions Leagues winner was remembered for getting someone sent off or whispering into someone's ear all the time. He has the footballing skills to handle things. Anyway great job Rudiger. 

One of the few games that I felt we were in total control throughout...Kante was immense...and Rudiger nice and aggressive...gave Rat Boy nothing...looking forward to the draw tomorrow...hopefully Silva is fit enough to play on Sunday...

45 minutes ago, Deino said:

Nobody said that about Kante though

I thought that was always the discussion here whenever he play. Kante didn't see runner, his final third contribution number is poor, he miss pass, he slowed down everything, bla2.

There is this feeling from some people that Kante is the reason that we can't score. 

2 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

Who are we hoping for in the last eight? No easy draws left really.

Albeit a bit of a "boring" draw I'd say Liverpool are one of the easier draws - alongside Dortmund and Porto.

Would be ace for Tuchel kicking out BVB twice in a row.. 😄

On talk sport radio last nite they put out a question to chelsea fans 

Are you happy that Frank got sacked for TT to take over and lead chelsea to where they are today ?

Think it was about 4 cfc fans that phoned in to basically say they wish Frank was still the manager for various reasons .

They seem to claim in the longterm Frank would have got Chelsea back to the top end ?

after every defeat Frank would say ‘ we will/must learn from our mistakes ‘  this ended up sending me up the wall as confidence in Frank 

was slowly dripping out of me ,since chelsea never seemed to be learning from the mistakes .

i still have a soft spot for Frank as the player but not the manager at the moment 

6 minutes ago, weetee said:

Albeit a bit of a "boring" draw I'd say Liverpool are one of the easier draws - alongside Dortmund and Porto.

Would be ace for Tuchel kicking out BVB twice in a row.. 😄

I take anyone tbh ,i would Even be happy/confident to be drawn against a peak team Brazil