Jump to content

FC Porto v Chelsea (CL) Wed 7th Apr 2021 20:00 GMT


Recommended Posts


3 hours ago, Argo said:

You won't find a single manager in world football that won't rest players in between a Wednesday/Tuesday CL turnover.

Fergie came to The Bridge under those circumstances with the title still open and benched Ronaldo (Ballack double game).

We have assembled a big squad to cope with situations like this.

If only it were a question of numbers and bums on seats - I mean, how do we play like we did v the dippers and Atleti and then turn out the drivel that was us v Southampton or Leeds ?

You are correct that teams challenging for honours on multiple fronts have to have squad rotation, but that rotation can not allow their performance levels to drop much, if at all.
Sadly, I don’t believe the quality exists in our squad to be properly competitive on all fronts at the moment.

I believe that the team are guilty of being complacent and of under estimating some of our PL opposition, I also think that some players who played v wba were ‘resting’ themselves before the game on Wednesday ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dkw said:

*Spoiler*

 

 

 

 

 

 

It won't work.

Certainly a risky approach given that we are currently in the top 4. RDM achieved it in 2012 but took over when we were already outside top 4 with only 10 league games left. Not to mention he was a caretaker manager so had little to lose by going all out for the cups.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dkw said:

Unfortunately I don't think Tuchel is, he seems to be using premier league games to rest players for Europe.

I think the odds are against us in Europe and in our favour in the league.  I still think he doesn't see the dangers of playing lower league teams...this ain't the French or German league where anyone below 6th are nothing but cannon fodder.  Too many changes in such a short space have time have done nothing than present inconsistency and uncertainty.  The 14 game unbeaten streak was more of about luck than to was about good defending and playing decent football.  If he want's to concentrate on Europe and guarantee CL next year he has to win the entire thing and I don't think we have the players to do that.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:

I think the odds are against us in Europe and in our favour in the league.  I still think he doesn't see the dangers of playing lower league teams...this ain't the French or German league where anyone below 6th are nothing but cannon fodder.  Too many changes in such a short space have time have done nothing than present inconsistency and uncertainty.  The 14 game unbeaten streak was more of about luck than to was about good defending and playing decent football.  If he want's to concentrate on Europe and guarantee CL next year he has to win the entire thing and I don't think we have the players to do that.  

It is pretty clear based on the games where we have dropped points recently (and played poorest), that Tuchel is prioritizing the Champs League. He came close to winning it last year with PSG so I am sure he is desperate to go one better this time around. That being said I agree with you. We might manage to get past Porto and even the winners of Liverpool/Madrid. But I cannot see us winning the whole thing with this squad. Stranger things have happened of course but if it doesn't work out we risk finishing up with nothing and outside top 4.

Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:

I think the odds are against us in Europe and in our favour in the league.  I still think he doesn't see the dangers of playing lower league teams...this ain't the French or German league where anyone below 6th are nothing but cannon fodder.  Too many changes in such a short space have time have done nothing than present inconsistency and uncertainty.  The 14 game unbeaten streak was more of about luck than to was about good defending and playing decent football.  If he want's to concentrate on Europe and guarantee CL next year he has to win the entire thing and I don't think we have the players to do that.  

Fully agree, I understand the need to rotate players but Tuchel overdoses it, playing far too many out of position etc. Pick a nucleus, play them as often as possible and change in 2 or 3 at most otherwise combinations can't be built, understanding each other in game is needed and it's impossible to get that understanding with so many personnel and positional changes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m just honestly still bothered by that result. When you're unbeaten conceding only 1 goal to another team in 14 matches confidence is sky high, the timing couldn’t be worse to get hammered by the worst team in the league near enough. 
 

To lose that prestige and feeling of never conceding is hard to take. It shows we are still a long way away. Having said that Liverpool conceded 7 to villa so it can happen. 

 

The players better have kicked them selves up the arse because I’m not sure tuchel would want to kill the positivity by giving them the hairdryer treatment at this point. I’m hoping for a big reaction here and to finish the tie in the first leg. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, forbzy said:

It is pretty clear based on the games where we have dropped points recently (and played poorest), that Tuchel is prioritizing the Champs League. He came close to winning it last year with PSG so I am sure he is desperate to go one better this time around. That being said I agree with you. We might manage to get past Porto and even the winners of Liverpool/Madrid. But I cannot see us winning the whole thing with this squad. Stranger things have happened of course but if it doesn't work out we risk finishing up with nothing and outside top 4.

Yeah little hope against the winner of City and Bayern. Honestly think what happened on Saturday has shattered us and will take an almighty effort to put us back together for Porto. We could be in for a hiding.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, forbzy said:

It is pretty clear based on the games where we have dropped points recently (and played poorest), that Tuchel is prioritizing the Champs League. He came close to winning it last year with PSG so I am sure he is desperate to go one better this time around. That being said I agree with you. We might manage to get past Porto and even the winners of Liverpool/Madrid. But I cannot see us winning the whole thing with this squad. Stranger things have happened of course but if it doesn't work out we risk finishing up with nothing and outside top 4.

In a final anything can happen. Would rather play City or Bayern in a final as opposed to two legs. Reaching the final will be just as hard as winning it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, forbzy said:

Certainly a risky approach given that we are currently in the top 4. RDM achieved it in 2012 but took over when we were already outside top 4 with only 10 league games left. Not to mention he was a caretaker manager so had little to lose by going all out for the cups.

But then can we have our cake it and eat it? Should we prioritize qualifying for next year's CL over this year's version that we're 5 games away from winning? That is what we use to meme Wenger about.

I seem to remember the general consensus on here is trophy > top 4 so shouldn't us prioritising an actual trophy even if it's a long shot be applauded?

Edited by Argo
Link to post
Share on other sites

When you are in last 8 against a beatable opponent, you go for it. Of course you do. not even worth discussing. Won’t be easy, by definition they are playing well. You have to play well to get to the last 8. Still we will be favourite. Players will be super motivated. Our champions league win came with a team that was well  past its best  and needed a lot of luck. Here’s hoping. 
 

The wba game was a cluster f. Good to get it out of the system. We can still give top 4 a good shove. 

Edited by ozboy
Link to post
Share on other sites

538 has us an 80% chance of making the semis and Porto a 20% chance but we are rated below Liverpool to reach top 4 in the league. It’s all bs but about as realistic as probability bs gets. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The concern is that if we get a red card shown against Porto will could crumble as we did against WBA. I get it players were completely ignoring the WBA match and thinking of Porto but the mentality when you are a man down is worriesome. Hope against Porto we get our heads straight and turn up with the proper motivation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ozboy said:

538 has us an 80% chance of making the semis and Porto a 20% chance but we are rated below Liverpool to reach top 4 in the league. It’s all bs but about as realistic as probability bs gets. 

Liverpool have easy games till the end and seemed to have gotten their form back. I fancy their chances getting Top 4 more than us. 80% chance making the semis is a bit overblown. I would say it's 60% chance for us.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to beat this lot and then Palace at the week end. These two results coupled with United getting a result at WHL and maybe, just maybe a Villa draw at Anfield would take us back to last week's positive vibe - not counting West Spam Bunker in, they'll never finish ahead of Chelsea or Liverpool in such a race, this I can be sure of.

Up the Chels, come on lads!!!

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If they can beat Juventus, they can play against every top club. Not because their quality, but rather their tactical understanding and sacrifice performances.

After 12 games, we have lost only once, it's happening and it's normal. If the loss against West Brom will stuck in our heads, then we won't be 100% ready. 

We need experience here, we need players to continue our run and return to our winning road. We can be the favorites here, we should be!

---------------- Mendy -----------------

-- Azpilicueta - Thiago Silva - Rudiger --

James --- Mount ---- Kovacic ----- Chilwell

---------- Ziyech ------ Havertz ----------

------------------ Werner ------------------

 

Giroud might be a good option as well, Werner's pressing ability and speed might give us more opportunities in the attack but Giroud might give us more goals. 

Wouldn't mind to see one of them starting, maybe even both.

COME ON CHELS!!!

Edited by IliyaKrostin
Link to post
Share on other sites

              Mendy

Azpi    -  Christensen   -   Rudiger

James - Mount - Kovacic - Alonso

       Havertz     
                            Pulisic
                Giroud

If Jorgi plays push Mount forward and take out Havertz. If Werner plays take out Pulisic. Most of the team picks itself, the two players I'd really like to see are Christensen and Giroud.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know how Porto play? Are they a park the bus type of team or will they go for it?

 

While they did beat Juventus, I think Juve are a poor team this year under Pirlo. 

Edited by JM7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!