This is for the normal chelsea lot on here a question > Chelseas hooligans ?

donnyblue

Any normal fans on here who went to games when the chelsea mob was at its peak going to games then . How did you feal about the whole situation ? Even thou you never got your hands dirty when you was at a away game and it became clear that chelsea was on the Home teams end did you. stay silent or at least join in with the chants of > chelsea aggro chelsea aggro hello hello > chelsea here chelsea there chelsea every facking where > as it was kicking off ? 

for the new fans who started to follow chelsea at  whatever time after the issues on the terrace and in the stands with chelsea lads and all other teams lads across the UK was cleaned up . You must have known or picked up on the reputation of Chelseas headhunters etc etc ,so did you just accept that fact that your teams fans used to be a orrible set of Bast ards when we lost or the best behaved supporters when chelsea won ,as the chant went ?

are you ashammed of the history of Chelseas reputation of violence etc etc or are you ok with it and accept it as it was ? For sure you did not select chelsea because of the fans hooligan reputation like many fans did i guess back in the day .

I picked chelsea when i was in primary School at age of 7/8 or 9 and that was down to the old northstand ,white stripe down the shorts and nowt to do with FA-cup win since year would have been 1973/74/75 . 

for the record the FV at chelsea never put me off and helped pull me to chelsea Even more is fair to say by time i saw my first game when i was 13/14 .

I don't think that a person of today should be ashamed, the past times were different all over the world back in the 70's, that was the culture back then.

To be ashamed sounds like todays culture where something from back then is judged by today's new "standards" which is not really the best way to look at things, I mean today an innocent cartoon like Pepe LePew is getting canceled because today's people think it's offensive. We should put things in perspective and look at the big picture.

23 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

I don't think that a person of today should be ashamed, the past times were different all over the world back in the 70's, that was the culture back then.

To be ashamed sounds like todays culture where something from back then is judged by today's new "standards" which is not really the best way to look at things, I mean today an innocent cartoon like Pepe LePew is getting canceled because today's people think it's offensive. We should put things in perspective and look at the big picture.

If a chelsea fan of today if thats the correct term ,was to say he/she was ashamed pi ss ed off ,upset with the history of a what seemed to me a large part of chelsea matchday watching fans back then ,i would not think any different of them . Iam type of interested on how they feal/think about that period of time .

Go,15  from your write up i take it that it dont effect you either way and you accept it for what it was .

Back then it was was it was...like it or not it happened everywhere with every club...it was the culture and part of the footy scene...every club imo , and ive been all over the country, had good firms whether big or small. Id have to say it seemed back then every person who went away, or should i say most, where enjoying the family of gangchelsea....imo there was a different level of fv in the 70s than in the 80s.....

Being at secondary school in the early/mid 80’s down in West Sussex, I was the only lad who went to Chelsea games, while my mates went to  Brighton games, I certainly had a lot of Kudos going because of our fans reputation, this was enhanced when Chelsea arrived down in Brighton in 1983! In those days a big part of football discussions was the fans and there reputations

11 minutes ago, chi blue said:

Being at secondary school in the early/mid 80’s down in West Sussex, I was the only lad who went to Chelsea games, while my mates went to  Brighton games, I certainly had a lot of Kudos going because of our fans reputation, this was enhanced when Chelsea arrived down in Brighton in 1983! In those days a big part of football discussions was the fans and there reputations

1983 for that Brighton game i was 17 and went to the game with a bird i had back then ,she was 15 and it was her first ,last and only football 

match that she ever went to. It was not the chelsea win that scared her sh itless 

Travelled all over in early 80s, and whilst not a ‘face’ got involved from time to time. Not necessarily on purpose but stuff happened.

A few really fun games, Man City away (the morning kick off), Cambridge away, Grimsby, Luton (when were we banned), Derby away, Cardiff and some naughty ones, West Ham away, Leeds away, and of course Pompey where all their chaps were wearing dear stalkers. Brighton was a laugh (Hickey). Fun at the time and on nodding terms with a lot of lads from the pubs in Fulham and North End Rd market as I lived in the area.

Not ashamed at all, it was what happened back then.

5 hours ago, donnyblue said:

1983 for that Brighton game i was 17 and went to the game with a bird i had back then ,she was 15 and it was her first ,last and only football 

match that she ever went to. It was not the chelsea win that scared her sh itless 

You were 17 and had a 15 year old bird ! I hope you weren't shagging her mate that's an absolute disgrace.

1 hour ago, Shug said:

Travelled all over in early 80s, and whilst not a ‘face’ got involved from time to time. Not necessarily on purpose but stuff happened.

A few really fun games, Man City away (the morning kick off), Cambridge away, Grimsby, Luton (when were we banned), Derby away, Cardiff and some naughty ones, West Ham away, Leeds away, and of course Pompey where all their chaps were wearing dear stalkers. Brighton was a laugh (Hickey). Fun at the time and on nodding terms with a lot of lads from the pubs in Fulham and North End Rd market as I lived in the area.

Dear stalkers ,christ there is a blast from the past with the pop up  cheap as chips brolly to add a look of class ,what what what what what .

1 hour ago, bluehaze said:

You were 17 and had a 15 year old bird ! I hope you weren't shagging her mate that's an absolute disgrace.

Not a chance in a million years after her old man basically would let me up the garden path after that day at Brighton . Bearing in mind all the trouble after the game and me and the bird were stuck right behind 4/5 bobbys at bottom of terrace in corner of fenced pen and the chelsea lot were fronting the copper . Poor lass just about shat her sen and i was just as stressed . Then on train back to London at croydan station sone chelsea chap was hanging out of train door window as you could back then ,and his head slammed into Something and poor lad fell back into doorway of carriage right across from us .

it was not a pretty sight at all ,and that was pure horror . Funny thing was her old man gave the all clear for her to go onto the trip donny> London> Brighton and back again on the train and he used his train discount for her train ticket since he was a British rail driver .

see said ex bird in local pub now and again and she still allways pulls me onto that day at Brighton . 

5 hours ago, donnyblue said:

Not a chance in a million years after her old man basically would let me up the garden path after that day at Brighton . Bearing in mind all the trouble after the game and me and the bird were stuck right behind 4/5 bobbys at bottom of terrace in corner of fenced pen and the chelsea lot were fronting the copper . Poor lass just about shat her sen and i was just as stressed . Then on train back to London at croydan station sone chelsea chap was hanging out of train door window as you could back then ,and his head slammed into Something and poor lad fell back into doorway of carriage right across from us .

it was not a pretty sight at all ,and that was pure horror . Funny thing was her old man gave the all clear for her to go onto the trip donny> London> Brighton and back again on the train and he used his train discount for her train ticket since he was a British rail driver .

see said ex bird in local pub now and again and she still allways pulls me onto that day at Brighton . 

I was just down the carriage from that incident. He was with his girlfriend and remember her screaming his name.

poor lad had his life support machine turned off months later.

7 hours ago, Richard P said:

I was just down the carriage from that incident. He was with his girlfriend and remember her screaming his name.

poor lad had his life support machine turned off months later.

I posted about this when I joined the forum a few years ago. I was on the train I remember the massive delay and when someone said someone got hit by a passing train I thought they were taking the piss and never gave it a second thought. 35 years later or so someone on here mentioned it I must admit it was a little bit chilling that it was true. On a brighter note we did that BR thing at the time where I think it was four adults pay and kids go free my mate RIP who looked about 14 we were 17 got there and back for free he was delighted 😄

That’s an interesting question Donnyblue. Like others have said you can’t project today’s values back in time.

I first went to football in 1972, my father took me to see his team, Newcastle, play us at the Bridge. I was instantly hooked and when I left school the following season started to go on my own. I was working so I had money in my pocket for the first time and spent a lot of it on football and drink. Day to day life was pretty dismal back then so I longed for the adventure the weekend always brought.

My first away game was at Coventry where compared with later’s thousands the turnout was probably fewer than 500. Ipswich and West Ham followed and they were real eye-openers, I was threatened at both and quickly learned to be a bit more streetwise after that. I was at the infamous game at WHL in 1975, squeezed into the Paxton and marvelling at all the mayhem going on around me, to be honest I loved it!

I was never a fighter, more interested in drink and having a laugh than smacking someone in the mush, so I never looked for a punch up but occassionally it found me and I’m a big lad and could take care of myself.

Although I didn’t do violence myself Chelsea’s reputation gave me a feeling of pride I suppose, this along with the cameraderie and excitement of entering enemy territory was what attracted me, and of course I loved the football.

I knew the hardcore and often exchanged a nod whilst they went about their business.

Certainly I feel no shame about what went on in those days, it was just how life was like back then, I just wish I could perhaps re-live some of it!

16 minutes ago, LOFTYBILL said:

That’s an interesting question Donnyblue. Like others have said you can’t project today’s values back in time.

I first went to football in 1972, my father took me to see his team, Newcastle, play us at the Bridge. I was instantly hooked and when I left school the following season started to go on my own. I was working so I had money in my pocket for the first time and spent a lot of it on football and drink. Day to day life was pretty dismal back then so I longed for the adventure the weekend always brought.

My first away game was at Coventry where compared with later’s thousands the turnout was probably fewer than 500. Ipswich and West Ham followed and they were real eye-openers, I was threatened at both and quickly learned to be a bit more streetwise after that. I was at the infamous game at WHL in 1975, squeezed into the Paxton and marvelling at all the mayhem going on around me, to be honest I loved it!

I was never a fighter, more interested in drink and having a laugh than smacking someone in the mush, so I never looked for a punch up but occassionally it found me and I’m a big lad and could take care of myself.

Although I didn’t do violence myself Chelsea’s reputation gave me a feeling of pride I suppose, this along with the cameraderie and excitement of entering enemy territory was what attracted me, and of course I loved the football.

I knew the hardcore and often exchanged a nod whilst they went about their business.

Certainly I feel no shame about what went on in those days, it was just how life was like back then, I just wish I could perhaps re-live some of it!

From the few answers to the question todate it only seems that its chaps that went to games during the hooligan times and it was all part of the game back then  hence nobody is ashammed of our fans past history . 

reason why i asked this question is that many in our society seem to spend their time going back in our nations history to pull it apart and pull down whatever statue if needs be . Some people seem to want to rewrite our history for the Worse ,or blank out very importatnt parts of British history that had massive effects of life today . Take FACT that it was Britain that went against 98% of the World to stand up against the african slave trade and via the British Navy end the africa slave trade .

For sure the hooligan times was keeping crowds away from all grounds at all leagues across the UK ,but today every prem game is a lockout just about since the hooligan issue was stamped out when the Tory government threw no end of money at it to Get full control of the issue .

Not everyone was getting their hands dirty at chelsea games,but for sure if cheslsea lads had got onto what ever Home end in away games even the normal Nice chelsea fans back then would join in with the chant > chelsea here chelsea there chelsea every facking where <  if this act happened today they get huge Boooooos and not pats on the back .

gjve it 50 years from now and those fans might be brushing the reputation of 1970s,80 s, 90s chelsea fans under the rug 

25 minutes ago, donnyblue said:

From the few answers to the question todate it only seems that its chaps that went to games during the hooligan times and it was all part of the game back then  hence nobody is ashammed of our fans past history . 

reason why i asked this question is that many in our society seem to spend their time going back in our nations history to pull it apart and pull down whatever statue if needs be . Some people seem to want to rewrite our history for the Worse ,or blank out very importatnt parts of British history that had massive effects of life today . Take FACT that it was Britain that went against 98% of the World to stand up against the african slave trade and via the British Navy end the africa slave trade .

For sure the hooligan times was keeping crowds away from all grounds at all leagues across the UK ,but today every prem game is a lockout just about since the hooligan issue was stamped out when the Tory government threw no end of money at it to Get full control of the issue .

Not everyone was getting their hands dirty at chelsea games,but for sure if cheslsea lads had got onto what ever Home end in away games even the normal Nice chelsea fans back then would join in with the chant > chelsea here chelsea there chelsea every facking where <  if this act happened today they get huge Boooooos and not pats on the back .

gjve it 50 years from now and those fans might be brushing the reputation of 1970s,80 s, 90s chelsea fans under the rug 

When we are dead and gone and forgotten . Chelsea will be left with the neuvo chelsea fans, who mostly,i despise...its why we are mocked....i hate spuds with a passion, but im also quietly envious of them...loud support.....no one messes with their home turf....but it is was it is...last time i attended a home match the pitifull cries of SIT DOWN, and folk around me sitting like they were at church, quiet as mice, looking into their phones made me weep inside....

Yes im bitter

Ok. I started going to away games in 1972. Much of the time we had a great craic, a lot of the “hooliganism” of the time consisted of various sized mobs chasing each other up and down the street. Of course there was also actual fighting, and there were exceptions, but generally speaking, it was very rare for anyone to suffer serious damage.

Relegation may have been a disaster in footballing terms, but off the pitch, and the terraces, I know I speak for many of us when I say that the second division seasons were among the best days of my life. There was a sense of adventure about away games. Again I’m sure that many here will know exactly what I mean.  I’m not going to go down the “where we went and what we want” route. I’m not ashamed but neither am I going on glorify the past. As others have said, it was how things were, another world, a different life.

I wouldn’t say I was a Face, but I was quite well known, mostly as a result of years and years of going here there and everywhere with Chelsea, and getting up to the Usual Stuff. Like I said, it was mostly just having the craic. 

Now I’m getting to the point, which is that sometimes things went much too far for my liking, the best/worst example I can think of being one time at Forest away. Me and a mate had managed to slip away from the Special, and somehow ended up in the Forest Supporters club. Just the two of us, we had a couple of quiet drinks before heading to the ground. Down the road apiece, standing on a corner, was a small mob of Chelsea who recognised me. They called us over and said they were going to steam a slightly larger mob of Forest, “are you with us?”, I said yeah why not, expecting the usual minor skirmish.

What I didn’t know was that this mob I knew were all tooled up, Stanley knives and chains and all sorts. I was actually toe to toe with this Forest bloke, when I noticed one of the Chelsea lashing into this other Forest fan with a chain. f**k this, I thought and got the f**k out of it. I never went tooled up, and really didn’t want to know. I didn’t realise it at the time, but as far as “hooliganism” goes, that was the beginning of the end for me, even though I carried on going away  for a good few years.

By the way, the Forest incident was “dealt with” by the Courts, otherwise I wouldn’t dream of mentioning it.

1 hour ago, Mike Carefree said:

When we are dead and gone and forgotten . Chelsea will be left with the neuvo chelsea fans, who mostly,i despise...its why we are mocked....i hate spuds with a passion, but im also quietly envious of them...loud support.....no one messes with their home turf....but it is was it is...last time i attended a home match the pitifull cries of SIT DOWN, and folk around me sitting like they were at church, quiet as mice, looking into their phones made me weep inside....

Yes im bitter

That part about the sit down sit down issue  from what i have picked up if the chap or chaps that had been asked to sit down and then pointed out by other chelsea fans to then be thrown out by the stewards into arms of waiting Fulham old bill > you was then taken to Fulham cop shop and processed and if you had previous record of getting your hands dirty at chelsea > a full banning from SB was soon to follow from CFC SW6 1HS ?

i was at a chelsea v mboro in the time of jimmy floyd hasselbank in the prem. I was with a geordie chelsea fan a donnywhite and a donny rovers lad .we was on the drink all day but nothing over the top and had four tickets all sat together in the West stand lower part . Game was  a few mins and i was up and down out of my Seat every time  chelsea attacked . For sure the donny and Leeds chaps stayed seated ,while the geordie chelsea mate was stuffing his face with scran .

Very quickly it became apparant that there was a man with his two sons and wife sat right behind us ,so before been asked i smelt the coffee and asked them if they like to swap seats for obvious reasons ,they was more than happy to now be sat infront of the Northern monkey and his mates ,but there was no stress from them at all .

I sits down and scan behind me and its normal looking chelsea fans of the day and no young kids for sure. So i feal more happy iam not over powering towrads any familys etc etc . I was up and down again just like before shouting chelsea on etc etc for 10 mins or so . This is first time i been to SB since the new all Seater stadium and a prem game and how things had changed .

A steward came upto me and said `` stay sat down or iam out `` bascically . Its then that i noticed all around was all sat on their hands during the game so far since it was still 0-0 . I could not quite take in why and barked back to the steward that this is called the West STAND and why should i have to stay seated since i begged to differ .

Big mistake ,steward said if you dont move now the police will come and drag you out and he pointed to the nearest exit . I could not see any Police but for a peacefull life i got up and went to the exit ,once i saw the stairs i was shocked to sed about 6/7 Fulham old bill waiting and i was walked out of the ground checked my ID then nicked me and banged me up at Fulham Nick . 

just after i was nicked the Police went into seats and asked my other mates to leave the ground ,checked their IDs then told them to fack off and not to come back into ground and they went to shed bar for the rest of game .

i never went to a game at SB after that again and only did European away games . In my mind all i could see in the West stand that day was a stand full of chelsea Middle if not upper class and the game experience  in the prem was dead to me . I recall seeing small pockets of chelsea fans in twos or threes over the West stand section i was in that day and it still gives me stress today .

The chelsea i once knew and was obbsessed about had long gone and for the Worse from my point of view . 

I would not go to SB today if i was to Get a Free match ticket , as i just know i be up and down and end up been asking to leave and for sure i give a few f**ks to the new souless bums on seats not just at  chelsea but just about all prem clubs today .  Think dirty Leeds is only prem ground today is where it will be a great atmosphere due to lack of bums seated in the seats for 90 + mins or when a goal is scored .

On 11/04/2021 at 18:13, Shug said:

Shug I'd say it was practically impossible to have gone regularly to away games in the late 70s and early 80s and not got involved in it. 

The midweek game against Birmingham in 1980 when they gubbed us 5-1 is one that always sticks in my mind. Lots of post match street dancing.

1 hour ago, Upsetter said:

Ok. I started going to away games in 1972. Much of the time we had a great craic, a lot of the “hooliganism” of the time consisted of various sized mobs chasing each other up and down the street. Of course there was also actual fighting, and there were exceptions, but generally speaking, it was very rare for anyone to suffer serious damage.

Relegation may have been a disaster in footballing terms, but off the pitch, and the terraces, I know I speak for many of us when I say that the second division seasons were among the best days of my life. There was a sense of adventure about away games. Again I’m sure that many here will know exactly what I mean.  I’m not going to go down the “where we went and what we want” route. I’m not ashamed but neither am I going on glorify the past. As others have said, it was how things were, another world, a different life.

I wouldn’t say I was a Face, but I was quite well known, mostly as a result of years and years of going here there and everywhere with Chelsea, and getting up to the Usual Stuff. Like I said, it was mostly just having the craic. 

Now I’m getting to the point, which is that sometimes things went much too far for my liking, the best/worst example I can think of being one time at Forest away. Me and a mate had managed to slip away from the Special, and somehow ended up in the Forest Supporters club. Just the two of us, we had a couple of quiet drinks before heading to the ground. Down the road apiece, standing on a corner, was a small mob of Chelsea who recognised me. They called us over and said they were going to steam a slightly larger mob of Forest, “are you with us?”, I said yeah why not, expecting the usual minor skirmish.

What I didn’t know was that this mob I knew were all tooled up, Stanley knives and chains and all sorts. I was actually toe to toe with this Forest bloke, when I noticed one of the Chelsea lashing into this other Forest fan with a chain. f**k this, I thought and got the f**k out of it. I never went tooled up, and really didn’t want to know. I didn’t realise it at the time, but as far as “hooliganism” goes, that was the beginning of the end for me, even though I carried on going away  for a good few years.

By the way, the Forest incident was “dealt with” by the Courts, otherwise I wouldn’t dream of mentioning it.

Funny you mention blades at chelsea . Blades have never been my cup of tea at chelsea or any donny games ,but i have had blades pulled out on me in person or very close by to me when a mate( s ) have been stripped on a handfull of times . 

went to a chelsea v portsmouth game in division 2 and i was with 2 mates from donny ( not chelsea )  for this game . Cant recall name of pub but we was i. The ale house dead oppsite West stand and away end enterance before the game . a mob of chelsea from guilford was putting stress onto me mates when i was in bogs with `` who are you and name the chelsea goal keeper `` when i came back i gave all answers to any goal keeper question etc etc thrown at us and all was ok . It was clear as day that we all liked to Get our hands dirty due to all our dress sense for sure . Must have been innsiadvpub a good 3 hours now and buying each other rounds of ale .

Just before leaving pub to go into West stand one of the guilford lot pulls me to one side and asked me to do a favour for him ? `` sure what can i do fella`` he pulls a smallish blade out and Asks me to carry it into the ground for him ,then give it back to him once inside the ground . I look across the Road and see bobbys doing ramdon body searches before the enterance . I just declained this guilford lads offer in most polite way i could . Next time i saw this chap at derby away i kept him at arms length .He had a mate called monkey from guilford  who was a good egg and hooked up with at a couple of games.

3 hours ago, donnyblue said:

They might, but can they sing

”I was here when we were sh1t”

9 minutes ago, Malta Blue said:

I was a bit too young, it all started dying down when I was growing up.

I probably would of got involved. My younger self considered it too cowardly to walk away from a potential fight

You will never quite fully grasp on what a bag of mixed ul  experiences , good,bad,funny,pain ,confidence knocked out of you and fear all in one match day at times . Throw humour into that bag aswell fella.

14 minutes ago, Malta Blue said:

I was a bit too young, it all started dying down when I was growing up.

I probably would of got involved. My younger self considered it too cowardly to walk away from a potential fight

donnyblue is right, you can’t fully understand what it was like unless you were there. I should probably add that in my previous post, I wasn’t running from a fight - the Forest fan ran one way, and I ran another - I was running from a nicking. The bloke with the chain got nicked, as did a knife merchant or to. No way did I want to get dragged into that kind of crap.