Chelsea v FC Porto (CL) Tue 13th Apr 2021 20:00 GMT

Looks like Taremi and Oliveira are back for Porto, which is a big boost for them. Hope we turn up and don't bottle it tonight. 

Oliveira has 12 goals and 5 assists for them in the league and 5 goals in 7 apps in the CL. Taremi also has a few goals and assists too. Big misses in the first leg.  

Edited by enigma
1 hour ago, axman2526 said:

Or TT could put James in the midfield and either push dave out to RWB and bring in Zouma, or just play CHO at RWB.

I was wondering the same thing, if its going to be a battle in the middle then James could step in. 

Match facts

Chelsea have won the first leg of a Champions League knockout tie for the 11th time, progressing on eight of the previous 10 occasions, failing only against Barcelona in 1999-2000 and Liverpool in 2006-07.

There have only been four previous occasions of a side progressing after losing the first leg of a Champions League knockout tie without scoring a goal at 'home' - Ajax in 1995-96 vs Panathinaikos, Inter Milan in 2010-11 vs Bayern Munich, Manchester United in 2018-19 vs Paris SG and Spurs in 2018-19 vs Ajax.

Chelsea have won each of their last two matches in European competition that were held in Spain (4-0 vs Sevilla in the group stages and 2-0 vs Porto in the first leg) - they have never won three consecutive European matches held in Spain.

After beating Leicester City 5-0 in the group stages of this competition in December 2016, Porto are winless in their following seven matches against English sides in the Champions League (D2 L5), scoring only twice while conceding 16 goals themselves.

Chelsea are unbeaten in the Champions League this season (P9 W7 D2 L0), and could become the first English to go unbeaten across their first 10 games in a season in the competition since Liverpool in 2017-18 (11 games).

Chelsea have kept seven clean sheets in nine Champions League matches this season, the joint-most along with Manchester City; the last side to keep more clean sheets in a single campaign in the competition was Juventus in 2016-17 (nine). The Blues are looking to keep a clean sheet in four consecutive matches in the competition for the first time since a run of six ending in March 2008.

Porto have won only one of their 20 Champions League knockout stage matches as the away side (D6 L13), with that coming against Deportivo de La Coruna in the semi-finals in 2003-04.

Sergio Oliveira has scored five Champions League goals for FC Porto this term, the joint-most in a season by a Portuguese player for a Portuguese club, along with Nuno Gomes in 1998-99 for Benfica. The last to score more in a European Cup campaign was Eusebio in 1967-68, also for Benfica (6 goals).

Chelsea have won their last seven Champions League matches with Edouard Mendy in the team - the only goalkeeper to win more consecutive games for an English club in the competition is fellow Frenchman Fabien Barthez with Manchester United during the 2002-03 campaign (eight games).

Mason Mount is looking to become only the second Englishman to score in both legs of a Champions League knockout stage tie for Chelsea after Frank Lampard, who did so against Bayern Munich in 2004-05 at the quarter-final stage.

1 hour ago, dkw said:

I was wondering the same thing, if its going to be a battle in the middle then James could step in. 

Yeah we just cannot risk starting Kante imo. If he pulls up injured and is out while Kova is out we are in trouble as we would lose energy in the middle.

The only question is Reece capable of playing the way TT likes with quick, precise one touch passes.

2 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Or TT could put James in the midfield and either push dave out to RWB and bring in Zouma, or just play CHO at RWB.

Never seen him play that role. I'd be very reluctant tbh. Not convinced with CHO as a RWB against a team like Porto either and I'm not really convinced James has the needed skillset re passing and quick n fast turns for Kovas role. I'd say Mount could play it and since Reece made a good game in the first leg I'd double down on him playing the same position again.

19 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Yeah we just cannot risk starting Kante imo. If he pulls up injured and is out while Kova is out we are in trouble as we would lose energy in the middle.

The only question is Reece capable of playing the way TT likes with quick, precise one touch passes.

I'm sorry, that made me laugh: we can't risk losing Kante, therefore we won't play him :biggrin:

44 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

A Jorginho / Alonso central combo might provide some decent entertainment. Pace to spare.

42 minutes ago, weetee said:

Never seen him play that role. I'd be very reluctant tbh. Not convinced with CHO as a RWB against a team like Porto either and I'm not really convinced James has the needed skillset re passing and quick n fast turns for Kovas role. I'd say Mount could play it and since Reece made a good game in the first leg I'd double down on him playing the same position again.

Was in the Championship and he bosses it there for Wigan.

Something tells me a back 3 of Zouma, Silva and Rudiger is the way to go today. Since Dave does not get dropped it looks a good solution.

4 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Was in the Championship and he bosses it there for Wigan.

Something tells me a back 3 of Zouma, Silva and Rudiger is the way to go today. Since Dave does not get dropped it looks a good solution.

So straight from Championship to Champions League..something tells me Tuchel won't go for it today.

1 hour ago, coco said:

Match facts

Chelsea have won the first leg of a Champions League knockout tie for the 11th time, progressing on eight of the previous 10 occasions, failing only against Barcelona in 1999-2000 and Liverpool in 2006-07.

There have only been four previous occasions of a side progressing after losing the first leg of a Champions League knockout tie without scoring a goal at 'home' - Ajax in 1995-96 vs Panathinaikos, Inter Milan in 2010-11 vs Bayern Munich, Manchester United in 2018-19 vs Paris SG and Spurs in 2018-19 vs Ajax.

Chelsea have won each of their last two matches in European competition that were held in Spain (4-0 vs Sevilla in the group stages and 2-0 vs Porto in the first leg) - they have never won three consecutive European matches held in Spain.

After beating Leicester City 5-0 in the group stages of this competition in December 2016, Porto are winless in their following seven matches against English sides in the Champions League (D2 L5), scoring only twice while conceding 16 goals themselves.

Chelsea are unbeaten in the Champions League this season (P9 W7 D2 L0), and could become the first English to go unbeaten across their first 10 games in a season in the competition since Liverpool in 2017-18 (11 games).

Chelsea have kept seven clean sheets in nine Champions League matches this season, the joint-most along with Manchester City; the last side to keep more clean sheets in a single campaign in the competition was Juventus in 2016-17 (nine). The Blues are looking to keep a clean sheet in four consecutive matches in the competition for the first time since a run of six ending in March 2008.

Porto have won only one of their 20 Champions League knockout stage matches as the away side (D6 L13), with that coming against Deportivo de La Coruna in the semi-finals in 2003-04.

Sergio Oliveira has scored five Champions League goals for FC Porto this term, the joint-most in a season by a Portuguese player for a Portuguese club, along with Nuno Gomes in 1998-99 for Benfica. The last to score more in a European Cup campaign was Eusebio in 1967-68, also for Benfica (6 goals).

Chelsea have won their last seven Champions League matches with Edouard Mendy in the team - the only goalkeeper to win more consecutive games for an English club in the competition is fellow Frenchman Fabien Barthez with Manchester United during the 2002-03 campaign (eight games).

Mason Mount is looking to become only the second Englishman to score in both legs of a Champions League knockout stage tie for Chelsea after Frank Lampard, who did so against Bayern Munich in 2004-05 at the quarter-final stage.

surely Chilly is also looking to become your last point too.?

Ok last time I’ll say anything on it, but this Kova story seems very odd. Still hasn’t been confirmed by a credible source, with any detail of the injury, as far as I’ve seen. I’m all ears if anyone has seen or heard something official. Is this how these stories normally get around? Are we certain it’s not fake news? I mean  we know how unreliable the media can be, and when you overlay it with social media....

No doubt the team news in about an hour’s time will confirm he is indeed out, but it just seems a bit odd.