Chelsea v Man City (FA Cup Semi-Final) Sat 17th Apr 2021 17:30 GMT

Odoi - Werner - Ziyech/mount/Havertz 

Alonso - Kante - Jorgi - james

Rudi - chris - azpi

James must play because Odoi simply isn't a defender and he will be ask to defend a lot. 

The rest of the squad pretty much pick themselves. Chilwell and alonso are just squad rotation. 

This is the type of game to play timo.

Odoi was very good against palace so deserved a chance here. 

And for rf depending on condition of our players just play whoever fit. 

Edited by Bob stark

10 hours ago, DidierDrogbalala said:

i'd go

Werner Giroud Ziyech

Chilwell Jorgi Kanté Hudson Odoi

Rudiger Zouma Azpi

Mendy

I dont know whats going on with Gilmour or Christensen so im not putting them in without all the information.

Gilmour won't play here. If we gradually ease him into the team, it is fine. I don't think you want to throw him straight to semi final

On 14/04/2021 at 05:25, axman2526 said:

Would be typical of us to beat them then lose the final to a vastly inferior side compared to our semi final opponent. Just like last season.

Not sure how we stop KDB. He always plays his best against us. 

By far TT most difficult game to date.

If kante and Willian were healthy last season, we probably would have won it rather easily imo. 

41 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

If kante and Willian were healthy last season, we probably would have won it rather easily imo. 

Maybe, sadly we will not know.

Agree with those who say we need pace in attack. If we are to rest Chilwell I would prefer Emerson to come in.

Think we also need the same back 3 as against Porto.

3 hours ago, Bob stark said:

Gilmour won't play here. If we gradually ease him into the team, it is fine. I don't think you want to throw him straight to semi final

In what game should he start this season? The league fixtures are all absolutely must-wins, barring any injuries it's highly unlikely he's getting any minutes at all within the CL. There is extreme pressure in each and every game from now on.

That said, I do think that Kante/Jorgi will start against City or possibly Mount. Depends also on what TT told the locker room at the start of his tenure: if he "promised" to give Kepa and Gilmore the FA-Cup games (good performances as a prerequisite) for example I can't see him roll back on that. Not sure he did something like that but if you have an extremely deep squad like Chelsea does you got to give the "reserve" some crumbs in order to keep the morale up imho. Granted, they do have to perform during training of course.

It's extremely difficult to shackle DeBryune there is so much to his game. Jorginho won't be able to do it. Kante is the only player we have with the tools for the job. Even then I doubt he can keep KDB out of the picture for the whole 90 minutes.

I'd love to see Gilmour start a game. He deserves it IMO. But for this game it has to be Kante and Jorginho. Or Kante and Kova if he makes a miracle recovery. 

1 hour ago, weetee said:

In what game should he start this season? The league fixtures are all absolutely must-wins, barring any injuries it's highly unlikely he's getting any minutes at all within the CL. There is extreme pressure in each and every game from now on.

That said, I do think that Kante/Jorgi will start against City or possibly Mount. Depends also on what TT told the locker room at the start of his tenure: if he "promised" to give Kepa and Gilmore the FA-Cup games (good performances as a prerequisite) for example I can't see him roll back on that. Not sure he did something like that but if you have an extremely deep squad like Chelsea does you got to give the "reserve" some crumbs in order to keep the morale up imho. Granted, they do have to perform during training of course.

It is not about starting games, but Gilmour is not part of the team at all. If he play here and there 15/20 min, then he has a chance otherwise it is difficult to throw him straight to games against city. 

7 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

It is not about starting games, but Gilmour is not part of the team at all. If he play here and there 15/20 min, then he has a chance otherwise it is difficult to throw him straight to games against city. 

I don't really disagree but every player is different regarding how the best way to implement them. If we have, say, 3:0 leads more often over opponents I'd say there is no reason not to give them 10-20 mins gametime but if we only lead by a goal in an intense match I'm not sure if it's a good idea to bring in a complete youngster into the CM. Some player are better as subs as others but a cCM role is a demanding one so I can also see some benefit in giving him a starting position too. He's also training with the team the whole time so it's not like he wouldn't know his teamates and since we play the same formation in 99/100 times he should also know by now what TT wants to see on the pitch.

Anyway, it's unfortunate for him but in every club TT was he brought in youngsters and gave them ample time if possible. That's a bit on the club side imho, if Chelsea expects nothing else than titles and straigth forward success a coach can hardly risk to develop talents if they got better/more proven players too. I have no idea how Gilmore performs during training but maybe, just maybe, it wouldn't even be the worst thing for him to stay home during summer and complete a full pre-season under Tuchel and then we can talk again next season if he isn't seeing any gametime.

I’ve said it before, there are plenty of opportunities this season for Gilmour to get minutes. I don’t think I’d start him this Saturday but, why not against Brighton? Start him or use him to give Jorginho/Kante a rest in the second half. You can’t be playing Jorginho and Kante every game, and Brighton and West Ham are good opportunities to get Gilmour on and rest the main players a bit.

Foden was doing laps around Kante the last time we played them and I'm not confident when it comes to Silva and Mahrez attacking the side of Chilwell either. Then I'm sure that with the 3 at the back Gundogan will manage to organize their possession in the midfield and De Bruyne will try to attack our backline again.

We are the underdogs so I hope that players that didn't feature recently do a vintage performance, I hope Werner scores.

16 hours ago, The Don Antonio said:

That is very true but to me 4th place is more important than the FA cup. I guess TT is the one charge and he can prioritize however he feels.

........but is he in charge ? 

Now here’s the question - what is RA’s preference , top 4, FA Cup, second CL title or all 3 ?? 

In all honesty, I suspect that Roman will ‘talk’ with Tommy and ask for his thoughts before deciding and telling TT what to do ? I could be wrong ? but assuming it so, Tommy will act under instruction from the boss, so therefore, does TT think he has a squad that is capable of winning all 3 or will he advise to prioritise and focus on just one target ? 

If I was to guess how RA will think 🤔 of course he would want all 3 , who wouldn’t, but if TT doesn’t think that that is likely or possible with this current squad and injuries then I reckon he would he will go for the CL imo - a semi against a RM side that is very beatable and a final in which form books get tossed and it’s a one off, winner takes all match and in a country that will no doubt welcome Roman !?! then a top 4 finish isn’t important.

Personally, I think both a top 4 finish and CL final is definitely doable and that’s where/what we should be targeting - the FA Cup would be wonderful, definitely give it a go v city but not  to the detriment of top 4 or CL final, so rest players as necessary - get greedy and you might end up with f**k all !!

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

Foden was doing laps around Kante the last time we played them and I'm not confident when it comes to Silva and Mahrez attacking the side of Chilwell either. Then I'm sure that with the 3 at the back Gundogan will manage to organize their possession in the midfield and De Bruyne will try to attack our backline again.

We are the underdogs so I hope that players that didn't feature recently do a vintage performance, I hope Werner scores.

I do recall one game when Mahrez  tore chiller a new one, but I think chiller  will have learned and tt is a different coach. Citeh will have a let down after the Dortmund game. More than us I reckon. 

Edited by ozboy

On 14/04/2021 at 11:16, RMH said:

Anyone has heard anything more about some fans being allowed inside Wembley for the FA Cup semis? I think I heard a couple of weeks ago that the Chelsea v. City game was going to be some trial to start getting fans back into stadiums.

They picked Leicester vs Southampton instead unfortunately.

Although if we make the final they'll be fans allowed.

3 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Yeah that is exactly it. Say we put Kante on KDB and he is at his best and KDB does not get a sniff. Good start.

Who then deals with Silva, Foden, Gundogan, Jesus etc etc?

And even if we can contain them for the most part their defence is no longer like swiss cheese, stones, laporte and Diaz are all really good this season. Do we believe Timo "2 in 29" and the rest of our goal short forwards can damage them? I mean is not Jorgi still out joint to scorer? And he has missed a couple of pens in that too.

2 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Yeah that is exactly it. Say we put Kante on KDB and he is at his best and KDB does not get a sniff. Good start.

And even if we can contain them for the most part their defence is no longer like swiss cheese, stones, laporte and Diaz are all really good this season. Do we believe Timo "2 in 29" and the rest of our goal short forwards can damage them? I mean is not Jorgi still out joint to scorer? And he has missed a couple of pens in that too.

Our team isn't really designed to play man to man though. I think we should be ok defensively, it is difficult to keep them from scoring for 90 min but we should be fine. the key is like you said can timo who probably will play, score on the break.  

Edited by Bob stark

2 hours ago, axman2526 said:

I beleive our front 3 will contain Mount and Ziyech who will drop deep to support Kante and Jorginho.  Werner or Havertz will be left on an island up front and will have to battle for scraps. I have a feeling that Alonso will be our match winner, he seems to step it up at Wembley

6 minutes ago, The Don Antonio said:

I beleive our front 3 will contain Mount and Ziyech who will drop deep to support Kante and Jorginho.  Werner or Havertz will be left on an island up front and will have to battle for scraps. I have a feeling that Alonso will be our match winner, he seems to step it up at Wembley

Could well be but if you are looking for 2 with work ethic am not sure Ziyech would be the best pick to partner Mount.. 

22 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

Maybe this guy?

Cannot see that video myself.

34 minutes ago, just said:

De Bruyne was absolutely fantastic against Dortmund last night. He is currently the best player in the world for me.

Agreed he is for me to and will year PSG to shreds. Really believe City have an unbelievable good chances of winning the quad this time.