Chelsea v Man City (FA Cup Semi-Final) Sat 17th Apr 2021 17:30 GMT

coco

47 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Could well be but if you are looking for 2 with work ethic am not sure Ziyech would be the best pick to partner Mount.. 

Cannot see that video myself.

Agreed he is for me to and will year PSG to shreds. Really believe City have an unbelievable good chances of winning the quad this time.

That is actually a part of Ziyechs game that is very underated. He is very good at pressing and ball recoveries . He had the most pressures in our line up against Athletico Madrid ( which Mount was suspended for) . I have him in my lineup due to his freshness though

28 minutes ago, The Don Antonio said:

That is actually a part of Ziyechs game that is very underated. He is very good at pressing and ball recoveries . He had the most pressures in our line up against Athletico Madrid ( which Mount was suspended for) . I have him in my lineup due to his freshness though

Fair enough mate.

59 minutes ago, Deino said:

Come on guys, it's the FA Cup. There's been plenty of upsets from underdogs.

We've been beaten twice at the final despite being favourites at the time. 

Yeah but those were minor upsets.

Us beating City the way they are playing would be more like Mayweather getting knocked out by a 15 yeard old random off the street kid.

3 hours ago, Bob stark said:

I said it a while ago. I have never regretted selling salah and Lukaku but selling kdb made 0 sense. It was Mou fault though. 

When Chelsea first signed KDB from Genk, he played for Chelsea against Seattle a game I watched. He was by far the best player on the field on the day, at the time I thought we had signed a great player, Mou thought otherwise and almost destroyed his career like many other. 

I was a Mourinho fan until he got rod of KDB and salah in the one season. But we don’t live in the past. We will be underdogs but oor strong defence and potential fast break means that we are not without our chances.  Sports bets rates us about 21% and city about 50% chance of winning. Hard to disagree with that but in one game it’s ok odds. 

Can we stop mentioning Jose selling KDB. It just makes my blood boil. Arrrgh.

Anyway it's the fans fault really. Roman thought to give Jose transfer control to make his own squad and avoid a second fall out against a super fan favourite and then that happens. 

Let Roman do it his way from now on...like hiring Tuchel:)

Edited by KonaKai Blue

8 minutes ago, KonaKai Blue said:

Can we stop mentioning Jose selling KDB. It just makes my blood boil. Arrrgh.

Yes please! Everytime somebody mentions this, they should donate a fiver to the forum and wear blue socks until the season ends. Not necessarily the same pair non-stop though, I'm not a monster.

Anyway.

I dread the upcoming weeks, to be honest. Although we have shown some surprising grit and ability to control matches, Man City (and Real for that matter) may be too big for us with our present squad, of which not every player is on fire. I'm looking at you, Timo and Kai. I can't bear the thought of going out in 2 cup competitions and the impact this will have on our players, when we still have a fight on our hands for a CL spot.

21 hours ago, Munkworth said:

My heart says blue socks for this one but my head says white. Officials in the usual boring black. 

@RMH Socks have been mentioned. We're the home team at Wembley, so I assume we'll wear our home kit with white socks. Well, that's us out, we don't even need to show up!

Edited by Valerie

8 minutes ago, Valerie said:

@RMH Socks have been mentioned. We're the home team at Wembley, so I assume we'll wear our home kit with white socks. Well, that's us out, we don't even need to show up!

He’s got a case of sock blindness the poor soul. 

Rest Players for this, we've a lot of players that should be hungry to prove a point 3-4-3

Mandy

Zouma        Christensen         Emerson

Ziyech       Billy   Kante     Alonso

Werner    Giroud     CHO

30 minutes ago, Osgoodwasgood said:

Rest Players for this, we've a lot of players that should be hungry to prove a point 3-4-3

Mandy

Werner    Giroud     CHO

I'm sorry but I don't agree with this setup. Ziyech is completely inadequate as RWB (if anything you should swap him and CHO, and then put Werner left and Ziyech right). And even summoning all my fantasy I simply cannot picture the front 3 CHO-Giroud-Werner score a goal against city. We're looking at a 4 day resting period so apart from our very delicate CM situation (Jorgi/Kante/Kovacic) rotation shouldn't be our number one concern for this game. I suggest this, a team that can absorb pressure, is safe on the ball and can release Werner to run though at Ederson or lay off for Mount or Ziyech:

---Mount----Werner----Ziyech---

Alonso--Jorginho--Kanté--James

----Rüdiger----Silva----Azpi-----

--------------Mendy-------------

Brighton then presents a very different challenge, granting us more possession and time on the ball:

---Pulisic----Giroud----Ziyech---

Chilwell-Jorginho--Gilmour-CHO

----Zouma-----AC4-----Azpi----

This way I can see us winning both games.

1 hour ago, Luiz4Chelsea said:

I'm sorry but I don't agree with this setup. Ziyech is completely inadequate as RWB (if anything you should swap him and CHO, and then put Werner left and Ziyech right). And even summoning all my fantasy I simply cannot picture the front 3 CHO-Giroud-Werner score a goal against city. We're looking at a 4 day resting period so apart from our very delicate CM situation (Jorgi/Kante/Kovacic) rotation shouldn't be our number one concern for this game. I suggest this, a team that can absorb pressure, is safe on the ball and can release Werner to run though at Ederson or lay off for Mount or Ziyech:

Brighton then presents a very different challenge, granting us more possession and time on the ball:

My selection is a reflection of how bothered i am about this game, we need to finish top 4 as a necessity, so rest players

Whatever else Kova is out and my guess is he will be out against Brighton. We have to win against Brighton and it would be nice to win this. I still doutt kante can play too many games in a row, so if he plays against city he will have to be rested against brighton. And my guess is that's the wrong way to do it.

So I think Gilmour will have to play one of the two games, and he will have to play as the more forward of the double pivots. I think it  has to be the City game. They will be a bit more tired than Brighton and Gllmour being fresh might be enough to overcome the lack of experience. Probably wont be but it gives kante a break before brighton.

Edited by ozboy

1 hour ago, Luiz4Chelsea said:

Seems sensible to me. I still think Kepa will play in the FA cup and I'd rather have Havertz start against Brighton instead of Giroud.

3 minutes ago, Osgoodwasgood said:

My selection is a reflection of how bothered i am about this game, we need to finish top 4 as a necessity, so rest players

Yes but we have a big and broadly talented squad that we now need to capitalise on.

This is where TT's communication skills will become key now: Can he plausibly communicate to the team in the run up to both games that the next one respectively is the most important, and that despite fielding two very different looking teams he's simply fielding his top choices for two very different challenges? Or will he fail to deliver this message and leave the team with on of these two impressions:

a) Let`s catch a break after the CL QF and before the continuation of our top-4 battle and see if we can get past City by divine intervention, otherwise I guess we miss our least important objective

b) Let's throw everything we got at City to reach that cup final together and hope that we can somehow scrape past Brighton afterwards.

(In that case I may agree with you that option a) is preferable)

I trust Tuchel on that though. We've gone through periods before with massive and massively important challenges every three days (particularly between the Atletico first and second leg) and the team always looked up for it.

12 minutes ago, Luiz4Chelsea said:

Yes but we have a big and broadly talented squad that we now need to capitalise on.

This is where TT's communication skills will become key now: Can he plausibly communicate to the team in the run up to both games that the next one respectively is the most important, and that despite fielding two very different looking teams he's simply fielding his top choices for two very different challenges? Or will he fail to deliver this message and leave the team with on of these two impressions:

a) Let`s catch a break after the CL QF and before the continuation of our top-4 battle and see if we can get past City by divine intervention, otherwise I guess we miss our least important objective

b) Let's throw everything we got at City to reach that cup final together and hope that we can somehow scrape past Brighton afterwards.

(In that case I may agree with you that option a) is preferable)

I trust Tuchel on that though. We've gone through periods before with massive and massively important challenges every three days (particularly between the Atletico first and second leg) and the team always looked up for it.

I get your point, but you're suggesting we play 8 of the side that played against Porto tomorrow, imo we should be playing fringe players that are, or should be eager to prove a point. Ziyech, Billy, Alonso, Emerson, CHO, Werner, Zouma etc. Players like Mount, Azpi, Jorginho need a rest. In my opinion Brighton is a bigger game.

7 minutes ago, Osgoodwasgood said:

I get your point, but you're suggesting we play 8 of the side that played against Porto tomorrow, imo we should be playing fringe players that are, or should be eager to prove a point. Ziyech, Billy, Alonso, Emerson, CHO, Werner, Zouma etc. Players like Mount, Azpi, Jorginho need a rest. In my opinion Brighton is a bigger game.

Well I did suggest playing Ziyech, Alonso and Werner. And - also in reference to what ozboy said - I agree that in the next to games we should play Jorgi-Billy once and Jorgi-Kante once. I'd be fine with it being Billy against City and Kante against Brighton, pretty 50:50 for me. I disagree on resting Jorginho though, I simply don't think it's possible with Kova injured and Kante still kind of recovering.

My strategy wouldn't be to only play fringe players against City to have all the options against Brighton. If you consider top 4 our most important objective then surely less than 4 days after Brighton awaits an even more important game against West Ham. Don't you want us to be fresh against them? Another 3 days later it's away to Real...

Every game is massive now, any kind of prioritasion seems unnecessary to me. For every game from now on I'd like us to try and strike the best balance between chance of winning and squad fitness. The best way of achieving that is determining that some kinds of games suit some players better than others. Is Reece simply "better" as RWB than CHO or is he mainly better at defending while not quite as explosive in attack. Is Werner "better" than Giroud or is he just better on the counter while Giroud is better at breaking down a low block? Simple then, Reece and Werner against City and CHO and Giroud against Brighton, and so on...

This is my stance on the run-in of our season, I guess Saturday's line-up will tell us a lot about Tuchel's

31 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

It’s an FA Cup semi final ffs! The winner of this tie are favourites to win the whole thing, how can anyone not be bothered about the match?

Exactly, I desperately want to win tomorrow, and then we might as well win the final too. OK, I admit it: I want it all: top 4, FA Cup, Champions League :wink:

I've just taken the first step towards accomplishing that and bought a tub of icecream. If things look grim tomorrow, some icecream will do wonders for our result. Facht.

The Brighton game is more important for me than this game. If West Ham win, they go 4 points ahead of us before we play Brighton. Puts big pressure on us. 

FA cup May bring some glory but finishing top 4 will bring sustainability. 

Edited by JM7

1 hour ago, Munkworth said:

It’s an FA Cup semi final ffs! The winner of this tie are favourites to win the whole thing, how can anyone not be bothered about the match?

Arsene Wenger has a lot to answer for, making the top 4 trophy a bigger event than being in an FA cup final. Even in the minds of some of our fans...

1 hour ago, axman2526 said:

Arsene Wenger has a lot to answer for, making the top 4 trophy a bigger event than being in an FA cup final. Even in the minds of some of our fans...

I think it's got more to do with UEFA scraping the Cup Winners' Cup relegating the Cup winners to the second division of European trophies. It's great to win the FA Cup, but then you get Thursday football rather than play against the best in Europe. I rather there was the CWC tournament or that the Cup winner went to the UCL. 

6 hours ago, Osgoodwasgood said:

Mandy

Werner    Giroud     CHO

Or maybe it is the case some have given up before a ball is kicked.

Dont get me wrong, o believe we have very little chance to get past city however we have to try and at least put in a display we can be proud of the effort.

With line ups like that why dont you just field our under 18s so we can get a gage on their development and rest our whole squad?