Real Madrid v Chelsea (CL Semi-Final 1st leg) Tue 27th Apr 2021 20:00 GMT

coco

8 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Harsh. He was wrong side of him and it happened in a split second. World class play by Benzema. Christensen was never getting there.

If this wasn't a pattern sure. Let's ask why he's on the wrong side. He's Karim Benzema. Get tight to him. How does he have time to have a touch and score there? 

2 minutes ago, abister1 said:

I have seen enough of Werner and our midfield to say without doubt the midfield is very complicit in our attack not working as it should. 

Shocking the number of times Werner or any other player makes a run and the midfielder fails to even try to play him through with a quick pass. That's how you unlock defences especially when you have pace. 

Otherwise it's a case of every man beating the man he comes up against. What are the odds of that happening and scoring goals. That's our problem. 

And the few occasions they pass they rarely give a good pass. 

We need Billy instead if one of the water carriers

Can't remember the last time I felt so anxious and nervous about a football game. Weird first half. Real looks very vulnerable but we are just not very precise going forward once again. Werner has just been so frustrating again. 

Love how Puli is consistently picking up the ball in the middle of the pitch and running straight at them. Should have had 2 assists to add to that goal. We need to keep exploiting that space and speed we have. I'd love to see him use Werner as a decoy once and just try to take it in himself.

1 minute ago, Spiller86 said:

If this wasn't a pattern sure. Let's ask why he's on the wrong side. He's Karim Benzema. Get tight to him. How does he have time to have a touch and score there? 

oh come on. Sometimes you just have to concede that it was a great move

If this team had a real striker, I think they'd be the best in the world.  

I used to think Werner had the yips.  Now I think he just blows.  

He just doesn't have world class skill.  He has world class athleticism but 2nd tier clinical skill.

We should be 2-1 but Werner... my god, at this level it makes so much of a difference! Still, we scored the all important away goal if we can keep it a draw or lose by one. But we can beat them.

Just now, reparto corse said:

Can't remember the last time I felt so anxious and nervous about a football game. Weird first half. Real looks very vulnerable but we are just not very precise going forward once again. Werner has just been so frustrating again. 

Last Saturday...

2 minutes ago, abister1 said:

I have seen enough of Werner and our midfield to say without doubt the midfield is very complicit in our attack not working as it should. 

Shocking the number of times Werner or any other player makes a run and the midfielder fails to even try to play him through with a quick pass. That's how you unlock defences especially when you have pace. 

Otherwise it's a case of every man beating the man he comes up against. What are the odds of that happening and scoring goals. That's our problem. 

And the few occasions they pass they rarely give a good pass. 

I have shouted so many times at Jorginho on the telly to pass the ball to our players who make a dash, but the f**king prick is in the dreamland all the time.

Stream up and down all half, and missed both the goals. Saw them in the HT replays, and I think Pulisic was actually a bit lucky to score, in the same way that Werner isn't lucky ... CP missed the obvious places to put the ball in the net and put it straight at one of the defenders, and had to rely on a ricochet to get it into the net. Another day that is a block and a miss. Werner did at least get his effort on target. God I wish he'd miss the keeper sometimes though LOL

First 15 minutes they couldn't do anything, but then they took out the tempo of the game expertly and starting wrestling back control. This suits them because of their overplayed and tired squad. We must pressure them instead of giving Kroos, Modric and Marcelo the time to pick their passes.

Some disjointed thoughts:

- Disappointing to concede considering how we started, but advantage is still ours with the away goal.

- The pitch being swamped and the game becoming lumpy and erratic suits them better than it does us. I’m not sure how I’d adapt to this.

- Our midfield have, on the whole, been better than theirs, which is particularly impressive considering who we’re up against. 

- Benzema versus Christensen in a physical battle was never going to end well. 

- Mason Mount has been the best individual player on a pitch including a Ballon d’Or winner. Enjoy that for a moment before they inevitably do us.