Real Madrid v Chelsea (CL Semi-Final 1st leg) Tue 27th Apr 2021 20:00 GMT

23 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

But Kai can pass better and move better without the ball which is essential if we get so much space like we had in the first 20 minutes of this game. When he came on we immediately made a few thing happens in the final third and then he won us a free kick in a good area.

If you had watched Kai in Leverkusen he was really clinical on the counter attacks and he can assist like he did to Giroud vs Sevilla this season. Tammy can finish but so can Kai.

Havertz came on and jogged around. I’m not sure I seen him burst in to a sprint while he was on, winning the free kick was about all he done.

4 minutes ago, Dean said:

Ziyech to start second leg  in place of Werner?

Nah, I’d keep him in team. As useless as he is at finishing, he’s still a really dangerous player with pace. He can easily set someone up for a goal, I thought he and Pulisic caused them a lot of problems so I’d stick with these two.

4 minutes ago, Dean said:

Ziyech to start second leg  in place of Werner?

Personally I am hoping Kovacic replaces Werner and gives us more midfield control. We know both he and Kante can break with pace so am hoping if we do that then they can join Mount plus 1 in attacks.

Let's face it, Kante and Kovacic are no worse a goal threat than Werner.

1 hour ago, Stas1 said:

I have shouted so many times at Jorginho on the telly to pass the ball to our players who make a dash, but the f**king prick is in the dreamland all the time.

It's not just us being spoilt by the quality of passers in team previously ie Lamps, Ballack, Essien, Joe Cole and of course Fabrepass himself because lower quality players from lower teams look for such runs and pass the ball. 

Sometimes wonder if the overall team instruction is to move forward with the ball at feet rather than pass forward though I wonder why the coaching team will adopt such when we have legs upfront. 

13 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

I think at the end of the day Tuchel must decide if he's overall gaining or losing something by playing Werner, sure his pace will be a factor in the second leg and also his work rate like you say but if he ruins 2 good chances and 2 decent ones then it might cost us the CL final because it's all about those details. Kai did lose the ball in the midfield to Kroos and that was bad but in an attacking sequence I prefer him over Timo.

That's all fair Gol and the broader point is that in splitting hairs we know that neither are really the guy (yet).

This is the difference for us at the moment. Who is the Drogba who just wills us a goal in injury time to draw level, who is the Ramires with the chip under pressure or the Lampard for that matter with the pass. I don't think we have them just yet.

We're still the little horse to use José's phrase. But we're getting there and that is a massive improvement over recent years.

3 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

He retired in 2005 he could have only be the ref in a couple of games we played.

Most notably in the Barca 4-2, where he let the sneaky Ricky block on the keeper go through for JTs goal haha.

Never get away with that in VAR times.

1 minute ago, axman2526 said:

Personally I am hoping Kovacic replaces Werner and gives us more midfield control. We know both he and Kante can break with pace so am hoping if we do that then they can join Mount plus 1 in attacks.

Let's face it, Kante and Kovacic are no worse a goal threat than Werner.

Well, Axman, Kovacic to score the goal that put us in the final would certainly be a wonderful story on many levels. Sadly, those don’t happen often but one can dream. 

I'm well happy with that.

People saying we could have got more, but had we opened up and gone for it more we could have got punished.

These are top players we are up against, Hence the high press we played to force the likes of Modrich and Kroos to go sideways.

TT had a game plan and it worked perfectly, we'd have all taken that before Kick off, need to finish the job now.

KTBFFH

9 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Nah, I’d keep him in team. As useless as he is at finishing, he’s still a really dangerous player with pace. He can easily set someone up for a goal, I thought he and Pulisic caused them a lot of problems so I’d stick with these two.

I’m not a Werner hater by any means, and not vehemently opposed to him starting, but think Ziyech is improving a lot under the radar. 

10 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Havertz came on and jogged around. I’m not sure I seen him burst in to a sprint while he was on, winning the free kick was about all he done.

He's more about the positioning and about reading the game, he has long legs so it's a bit deceiving but it's not like he had a chance to run down a counter attack, Real Madrid defended deeper and they changed their formation. He looks like he's too casual but it's not really how it is.

10 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

That's all fair Gol and the broader point is that in splitting hairs we know that neither are really the guy (yet).

This is the difference for us at the moment. Who is the Drogba who just wills us a goal in injury time to draw level, who is the Ramires with the chip under pressure or the Lampard for that matter with the pass. I don't think we have them just yet.

We're still the little horse to use José's phrase. But we're getting there and that is a massive improvement over recent years.

If it comes down to it I'm hoping that Mount and Pulisic can do something special when it's needed, Mount showed a little bit of that last season when he scored vs Wolves if I remember right and this season too and Pulisic looks like he's ready to go but they keep kicking him...

Pleasantly surprised how well we played and had we had a CF that could actually put the ball in the net we would have come away with a well deserved victory.  I'm not sure whether this is the true Madrid at the moment, or whether they really are that poor in current times.  I was expecting a lot more from them albeit the conditions were awful.  Apart from the well crafted goal by Benzema and him hitting the woodwork Mendy could have made tea all day.  This game could and should have been over in the first 20 minutes if it wasn't for some world class misses.   I can see why Werner is playing for his pace and running behind, but FFS can he be the worse striker in the world right now for missing guilt edge chances; Havertz for Werner James in place of Dave and possibly Kovacic over Kante have to start the next game for me. Kante was brilliant but I think Kovacic offers more threat driving forward, either that or sacrifice Jorghino and leave Kante sitting deeper.   Anyway a very good result with the added bonus of an away goal.  

3 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

He's more about the positioning and about reading the game, he has long legs so it's a bit deceiving but it's not like he had a chance to run down a counter attack, Real Madrid defended deeper and they changed their formation. He looks like he's too casual but it's not really how it is.

He lost the ball sloppily, I think @Spiller86already mentioned it and he made no real effort to get it back. I’m sorry but I don’t care how talented you are, you burst your balls to get back and win the ball back. That’s my issue with him. He needs to be willing to put in a shift in at key moments at the very least. He was too casual there and it could have cost us.

Just now, EdinburghBlue said:

He lost the ball sloppily, I think @Spiller86already mentioned it and he made no real effort to get it back. I’m sorry but I don’t care how talented you are, you burst your balls to get back and win the ball back. That’s my issue with him. He needs to be willing to put in a shift in at key moments at the very least. He was too casual there and it could have cost us.

Yea I saw it, bad moment indeed, Kroos just robbed him like it was nothing and he was just watching on...

2 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I was having flashbacks when Kroos went forward. f**king Iniesta stealing it with a worldie after we deserved to win.

13 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:

Pleasantly surprised how well we played and had we had a CF that could actually put the ball in the net we would have come away with a well deserved victory.  I'm not sure whether this is the true Madrid at the moment, or whether they really are that poor in current times.  I was expecting a lot more from them albeit the conditions were awful.  Apart from the well crafted goal by Benzema and him hitting the woodwork Mendy could have made tea all day.  This game could and should have been over in the first 20 minutes if it wasn't for some world class misses.   I can see why Werner is playing for his pace and running behind, but FFS can he be the worse striker in the world right now for missing guilt edge chances; Havertz for Werner James in place of Dave and possibly Kovacic over Kante have to start the next game for me. Kante was brilliant but I think Kovacic offers more threat driving forward, either that or sacrifice Jorghino and leave Kante sitting deeper.   Anyway a very good result with the added bonus of an away goal.  

After every good result against a top side, there is always a few questioning if the the top is actually a top side! Maybe its Tuchel and the way he has us setup makes it very difficult for teams to play their normal game. In the big games, we have made every opponent look fairly ordinary for large parts, even City who we outplayed for 60 mins, and then completely starved them of opportunities with all their big hitters playing. 

Hopefully these big teams continue to look poor against us for the rest of the season! 

Its and ok result and maybe could have been better. If werner scores the first clear opportunity will we still be getting the second? Doesn't matter. Does it really surprise anyone that Real Madrid can score 1 against us at home? Not me.

What does surprise me is how fit Benzema is after all these years. But as I hoped before the game our younger midfield was too mobile for Modric and Kroos and Marcelo. I thought Tuchel should have started James instead of Dave. Other than that we played well and overall I think we kept self belief. 

Second leg will be nervy no doubt but according to 538 probabilities we are now a 63% chance to get to the final. Got to take that.

Decent result, although felt like a missed opportunity. They had all kind of problems playing back 3 in the first part of the year, we were carving them up for fun, really should have put 2-3 past them and do some real damage. Like said many times, Werner just not a good finisher, and cost us again. I could see the logic playing him, he does add a lot to the team, but he's not scoring those chances good strikers should score. So glad Pullisic put it on himself to score that goal, could have passed to Werner and I'm sure we could all anticipate the end result. It's a marginal call to play Azpi, thought he's always a risk against fast player, but he's not adding anything in attack. I hope we play our normal wing back for the result of the season, otherwise its just no the right balance. Apart from the goal conceded, really couldn't fault our players. Last season we lost 1:8 ( could be 10 if they wanted it) against the eventual champion in the first knock out round, this year we got a 1:1 against the very best team in Europe in the semi, it's progress regardless how we look at it.