Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League

Guest Sindre
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

8 hours ago, JM7 said:

We should mark out all these pundits who are speaking out against the ESL for when they suddenly start presenting and commentating it. Hypocrites. 

Why? They're right. Are you in favour of this so called "european super league"

8 hours ago, IndianaBlue85 said:

5B889215-E3F4-49A3-97A2-D155D470D149.png

The 3 spare places to make up 15 permanent clubs are (in my opinion) being held for PSG, Bayern and Dortmund because the traitor league wants them to change their minds. There would have been 2 extra places reserved if Chelsea and City had found some spine and refused, there was no "risk of being left behind".

47 minutes ago, IndianaBlue85 said:

Supposed to be a protest tomorrow outside the Bridge before and during the match. 

For some of our players, this will be the first experience with the fans.

Edit: Maybe not, I just remembered that a few fans were allowed to attend games a few months ago.

Edited by Scott Harris

30 minutes ago, forbzy said:

Only speculation right now but maybe some hope that Chelsea and City are getting cold feet about the idea, having been reluctant in the first place:

Cause both of us are CL seminfinalist and risk being kicked out?

3 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

For some of our players, this will be the first experience with the fans.

Edit: Maybe not, I just remembered that a few fans were allowed to attend games a few months ago.

I’ll try to get the tweet but they made sure to say this was only directed at the club officials not the team. Found it 

38C4CCF5-F5B4-4EA0-820C-D3FA67320AB2.png

41 minutes ago, forbzy said:

Only speculation right now but maybe some hope that Chelsea and City are getting cold feet about the idea, having been reluctant in the first place:

Also too little too late for this season. Dont think there would not be a backlash that stops us on the field from winning the CL or FA cup 

1 hour ago, jack h said:

Doesn't change the fact that Gary Neville has been bang on with every point so far...

He's absolutely correct, even if he didn't say this much in the past it's good that now he has been using his platform to say it how it is without any sugar-coating.

J.P. Morgan and a few other Americans just tried to hijack a huge part of the European heritage and culture, all of the sake of getting richer while ruining the biggest sport in Europe on all levels. No wonder the PMs of some nations already said that they don't agree on this.

Say no to BratSoccerLeague. Preserve the FA Cup, the Premier League and the Champions League. 

8 hours ago, KonaKai Blue said:

In the last 15 years we have only seen 7 clubs from the Premier Leaghe participate in the CL group stages. One occasion being Leicester. The rest of the time it has always been the big 6. Kind of looks like an elitist group already before the Super League begun.

Distribute prize money more evenly between clubs then, don't flip the f**king table and throw your toys out the pram when your one of the clubs already winning!

13 minutes ago, KonaKai Blue said:

In the last 15 years we have only seen 7 clubs from the Premier Leaghe participate in the CL group stages. One occasion being Leicester. The rest of the time it has always been the big 6. Kind of looks like an elitist group already before the Super League begun.

It's a whole lot different to actually qualify on your own merit though. Arsenal is garbage but they are going to get 300m each year so eventually they will be able to beat Fulham, now that's fair I guess...?

Anyway I don't want my team to play in a league that has Florentino Perez as the chairman and Glazer or Agnelli as the vice president, that's a mockery of the whole system and also why would Spurs casually get 300m every year? Because they invested in a new stadium that they can't afford cause they are actually terrible? #Earnit

6 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

It's a whole lot different to actually qualify on your own merit though. Arsenal is garbage but they are going to get 300m each year so eventually they will be able to beat Fulham, now that's fair I guess...?

Anyway I don't want my team to play in a league that has Florentino Perez as the chairman and Glazer or Agnelli as the vice president, that's a mockery of the whole system and also why would Spurs casually get 300m every year? Because they invested in a new stadium that they can't afford cause they are actually terrible? #Earnit

Is even more despicable from our and City view point. Our owners are loaded and the primary concern is not making money bit glory. They just caved to these idiots who only care about lining their pockets.

23 minutes ago, KonaKai Blue said:

But there is a possibilty of it happening at least, ironically this year we are seeing not 1 but 2 teams out of the big 6 challenging for CL football as well.

Not to mention that it used to be big 4, Spurs have managed to grow themselves organically into a 'big' team from this system, who is to say West Ham can't kick on after this season if they qualify for the CL and retain their talents? 0 possibility with the SL being formed.

4 minutes ago, jack h said:

Distribute prize money more evenly between clubs then, don't flip the f**king table and throw your toys out the pram when your one of the clubs already winning!

The reward for finishing 9th in the PL is on par with winning La Liga, the reward for finishing bottom trump's the prize money for winning most top flight league's on the planet.

There's no league better than ours for rewarding failure, Norwich have made an obscene amount of money from coming up, stinking the place out, going down and returning again. With good recruitment they could probably nail down a permanent PL place off the back of "prize" money for finishing bottom. This system has also made it harder for an underdog lower league team to get a dream PL place (like for example Blackpool of 2010). The English football pyramid may not literally be a closed shop but for all intents and purposes it's largely closed off at the top (PL and top half of the championship), looking at the top half of the Championship currently only Barnsley and to an extent Millwall are surprise teams there, all the rest have been in the PL recently. I remember about 15 years ago Colchester United made a serious play off push in the Championship, a club that size will never sniff such heights again because 2/3rds of the Championship will have left over parachute money from a PL stint to blow any little dreamer club out of the water if they dare get to that level (case in point what's happening to Wycombe).

At what point should the line have been drawn?

Was it fair that Arsenal got a promotion in 1919 they "achieved" while finishing outside the promotion places? That is no better than these proposals yet football back then is widely considered pure.

Was the interception of the PL (initially planned as a breakaway league for the at the time big five of the North London/Scouse duos and United) fair?

Ajax a traditionally big club got to the semi final of the CL two years ago but because of the economic situation in their league they got raided by the big cats for their players, is that fair? Could we remotely blame them if they accept an offer to join a super league as opposed to their current reality? A super league three years ago with them in it would have seen them keep the likes of Ziyech, De Jong, De Ligt, Dest and Van De Beek and could you imagine that team if they peaked together? Instead they had to start again with players not fit to lace the boots of the guys mentioned above.

I mean don't get this twisted I don't in any way shape or form want this, but football integrity and fairness? That was gone a very very very long time ago if it even existed in the first place.

Intrigued to learn more about this, and agree with others stating the PL, UEFA and FIFA aren't saints (£15 ppv, FFP, Club World Cup).  About time something happened to wake UEFA up.

That said, I've been buried all day and just catching up.  Not sure any club anticipated this level of reaction.  I'm all for private enterprise exploring avenues to legally distribute their product - UEFA doesn't have the clubs under their thumb.  That said, I would never want to jeopardize the soul of the game.  Times are changing.

Edited by PhilH930

TO me, this has some similarities to the tennis revolt in the mid-60s, with the grand slams only allowing amateurs and thus freezing out pros like Gonzales, Laver and Rosewall.  Leading to the ATP today, a totally player-run organization that controls just about all of the tournaments around the world.  I think if this cripples UEFA, that would be a good thing.

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

He's absolutely correct, even if he didn't say this much in the past it's good that now he has been using his platform to say it how it is without any sugar-coating.

J.P. Morgan and a few other Americans just tried to hijack a huge part of the European heritage and culture, all of the sake of getting richer while ruining the biggest sport in Europe on all levels. No wonder the PMs of some nations already said that they don't agree on this.

Say no to BratSoccerLeague. Preserve the FA Cup, the Premier League and the Champions League. 

JP Morgan died in the early 1900s, right?