Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League

Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

sh*t idea and I would hate it.

But FIFA threatening with not letting players in that league then compete in world cups etc. and you realise its already all corporate sh*t and has no care for the supporters anymore. UEFA and FIFA talking about other peoples greed and corruption is an absolute joke as we head towards a world cup in qatar.

And the teams involved show what its really all about as eg arsenal haven't been relevant anywhere for a long time. All about the money who cares where it comes from.

7 minutes ago, carrickblue said:

I'm very sceptical about the appeal of a European Super League, especially if you can never get knocked-out or relegated - where's the drama in a perpetual round-robin. 

I agree.

But it looks like this is happening. If UEFA and the national federations can't stop it at least.

I mean they can threathen with banning the participating teams from their competitions but the EPL for example can't excactly do without United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham and likely City either. So it's all posturing at this stage but I expect this too be a BIG story the next couple of days.

Club statement in a bit I would imagine.

I absolutely hate the idea personally, and I absolutely hate the idea that teams (including Chelsea) think they can mess with the whole football pyramid in the their countries for their own gain.

Selfish idea dreamt up by selfish people and selfish clubs, I feel embarrassed that Chelsea are even involved.

BTW how the hell have Arsenal been invited to participate anyway, that alone shows it’s one of the worst ideas ever!

Edited by 2211

Apart from the money, i doubt these clubs will be able to hold on to their players that want to compete for their national teams, as Uefa and Fifa, will probably block them from representing their country, its a totally sh*t idea, that should be discarded for the integrity of the PL.

Edited by Ballack & Blu
6 minutes ago, Sindre said:

I agree.

But it looks like this is happening. If UEFA and the national federations can't stop it at least.

I mean they can threathen with banning the participating teams from their competitions but the EPL for example can't excactly do without United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham and likely City either. So it's all posturing at this stage but I expect this too be a BIG story the next couple of days.

Club statement in a bit I would imagine.

I suppose a league of 12 clubs replacing the Champions League could live beside smaller national leagues in terms of the total number of fixtures clubs would play but you'd need to reduce to EPL to around 12 clubs too and the "big 6" would probably have to stop playing in either the League Cup or the FA Cup or both.

Sickening stuff - It's the final death knell of the pretence that we are a club that a fan can identify with in any meaningful way. I would be interested to see a fan survey on this for the clubs allegedly involved, and also willing to bet that a vast, vast majority are dead set against the idea.

I'd sooner see us get relegated to the non league than see this. I'd find it easier to stomach continuing to support Chelsea in the non league than as part of a cartel.

I don't think they understand the tribal rivalries within each country is what drives most of the interest in football. Seeing Chelsea play Barcelona or Juventus is great from time to time but would soon become boring. The same teams play each other in Europe enough as it is but I realise this sh*te is aimed at fans outside of the UK and the broadcast revenue that comes with it.

And what the end game is here. In time, one or two of the Super League clubs will dominate that league too and then those clubs will demand more from the rest. It feels like they want to get to a point where Real Madrid play Barcelona in Abu Dhabi 30 times a season to flog to the Chinese. 

Hopefully it's killed stone dead by government and fan opposition and due to the German clubs not signing up for it. One country that hasn't completely prositituted its football.

It’s infuriating. All the money I’ve spent over the years on ST to watch Chelsea, travelling to London and back every 2 weeks, it’s cost me a fortune being a supporter and I’m sure it’s the same for you. And this is what we get in return? Just feels like a smack in the face and don’t give a f*ck about the fans.

If this is going ahead I’m done with Chelsea. So greedy and selfish.

dont like the idea.. but FIFA and UEFA should be the last ones lecturing others on greed... hypothetically it is possible to replace the UCL and domestic cup with this.. currently we play 38(league) + 8/10 (UCL) + 8-10(FA + League Cup) so if we take out all other cup competitions this can happen..

As an international supporter i think this may be a great product for some but for me this will kill the experience and joy of the last 20 years of watching us strive for UCL /top 4 / FA Cup wins etc.. i am not in favor of it.. And anyways for the real supporters on ground going to stadiums, living the local rivalries etc.. this would be a bad bad idea...

I really hope this doesnt happen.. even though i hate FIFA and UEFA.. corrupt bankers and accountants .. 

I am going to buck the trend, and say that I am not against it.  Frankly, I want what is in the best interest of Chelsea, and I really don't give 2 hoots if other clubs are perceived to "lose" out.  This is really no different to the current system - and essentially, the top teams will always prosper at the expense of "little" teams.

From a business perspective it makes sense. I cant think of other industries, where successful companies have to share money, that is being earned because of them, with less successful companies. Can you imagine Apple (for example) being told that they had to share their profit with less successful companies. This is essentially what is happening at the moment. Money in English football is so high, but thats only because of the global reach of a handful of teams. Why should those handful of teams have to lose financially due to a % of that money being shared with other clubs? 

The current system is antiquated and a refresh of this sort is potentially a way to update it.

• coco changed the title to Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League
  • Mod Stark pinned this topic
  • Mod Stark unpinned this topic