Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League

Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

This really sucks for the players and the fans. Never asked for this, never wanted this. gonna be really hard to follow Chelsea from now on, it always been due to Roman's allegation and inner circle but now he takes our beautiful game from us to make even more money when he's already worth 15 billions... ive been speechless since 3 hours ago never thought this sh*t would go thru.

Just now, Oli said:

All European competition suspended. I feel sick to my stomach. Our club is a disgrace, and we as fans cant stand for this. Who can even afford to go to these games abroad. If they want to fill their stadiums full of chinese, arabs, and every other countries fans who have money, let them crack on..but we need to stick together. How dare we think we can p*** on all the other clubs who work hard to try and aspire to get into europe, and we are like we have a god given right to always be in it.

Okay maybe it hasent..my points still stand though. This is disgusting. Im not saying uefa or fifa arent corrupt and that includes  the premier league, but the format we have now works. 

This is elitest football who thinks its demeaning to give clubs from lower countries a chance in the champions league..and only the big money matches should exist. Same with the premier league. It gives no hope to a club to make it through the divisions to the top. I for one am disgusted by it all and really ashamed our club is involved. 

7 minutes ago, jack h said:

That's precisely the reason Scottish football even with those two clubs is in such a state, the other clubs may as well not exist

Absolute bollocks. Just because the league isn’t swamped in money. You’re basically dismissing every single club in every country who don’t win things or play in the CL. That’s laughable.

4 minutes ago, Malta Blue said:

So false alarm then? Well for now anyway. Last report I saw was FIFA asking the involved parties to stop with the heated debates and find a calm solution. I think there has been alot of heated words shared behind the scenes aswel as public arguments

Never knew FIFA would one day be the voice of reasoning.lol

9 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

We won't play a top first team in the league, why would we if the main thing was the money maker European league. The league becomes meaningless because it doesn't provide the cash anymore and other than a trophy that the owners don't care about what would it do for the new set up? 

This is just the start, the clubs will end up leaving the domestic set up before long... Thats the end game. 

Hibs winning the Scottish cup in 2016 after 100+ years wasn’t a money maker but it was up there with us winning the CL in 2012 for me.

Football should be more than money - particularly to the fans. The league title would still be an amazing achievement to me, whether we’re in this ESL or the UCL. In fact, I’m pretty sure the UCL is our main money maker now? So it’s absolutely no different.

I also think they timed it this way as they know fans are not in stadiums at the moment. They can totally avoid the scenes of mass protests during games. This is designed to make the sport more presentable to the American audience. Supposedly the playoffs will have "best of  3" formats like the American sports. What I think they miss entirely as that most American fans of the Premier League (at least the ones I know) like it because it is different to their sports. The fans and atmosphere, promotion/relegation etc. They will be getting rid of the qualities that actually sell the product well in USA today.

44 minutes ago, The Don Antonio said:

It is a replacement for the Champions league. We still want to be part of the premier league. We are just saying f**k u to UEFA. Didnt you read the statement on the club website

• 20 participating clubs with 15 Founding Clubs and a qualifying mechanism for a further five teams to qualify annually based on achievements in the prior season.

• Midweek fixtures with all participating clubs continuing to compete in their respective national leagues, preserving the traditional domestic match calendar which remains at the heart of the club game.

True but also read the statement from UEFA and the Premier League where they state that any club that is involved will no longer be able to participate in other competitions.

Admittedly perhaps some of that rhetoric will be walked back in the days ahead but think about the scenario where we are allowed to play in the Premier League. Since we won't be able to play in Champions League there will really only be the prestige of winning the title or avoiding relegation. This will be reflected in the teams we put out since priority would be the midweek league. So by allowing the teams to stay in the league that means you have 6 teams that are treating it as a backup tournament, and this will ultimately undermine the competition. Also assuming that the Champions League carries on for all but the disgraced 12 + a few others, then it gets really messy in terms of qualification. It would be the top 3-4 teams that are not one of the shamed 6. Under the circumstances it would make more sense for the Premier League to shut the door on the 6 clubs and rebuild. They will lose revenue either way but they should bet on their league outlasting the greed league.

finally if you look at the pyramid model every layer is important if the entire system is to survive. So while the lower leagues might need the top top teams to survive, equally the top teams will not survive without the foundation structure underneath. Without decent domestic leagues where are all the future star players going to appear from?

3 minutes ago, forbzy said:

True but also read the statement from UEFA and the Premier League where they state that any club that is involved will no longer be able to participate in other competitions.

Admittedly perhaps some of that rhetoric will be walked back in the days ahead but think about the scenario where we are allowed to play in the Premier League. Since we won't be able to play in Champions League there will really only be the prestige of winning the title or avoiding relegation. This will be reflected in the teams we put out since priority would be the midweek league. So by allowing the teams to stay in the league that means you have 6 teams that are treating it as a backup tournament, and this will ultimately undermine the competition. Also assuming that the Champions League carries on for all but the disgraced 12 + a few others, then it gets really messy in terms of qualification. It would be the top 3-4 teams that are not one of the shamed 6. Under the circumstances it would make more sense for the Premier League to shut the door on the 6 clubs and rebuild. They will lose revenue either way but they should bet on their league outlasting the greed league.

finally if you look at the pyramid model every layer is important if the entire system is to survive. So while the lower leagues might need the top top teams to survive, equally the top teams will not survive without the foundation structure underneath. Without decent domestic leagues where are all the future star players going to appear from?

Would appear they’re backtracking already about banning people and now want to talk...

8 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Absolute bollocks. Just because the league isn’t swamped in money. You’re basically dismissing every single club in every country who don’t win things or play in the CL. That’s laughable.

Not what i'm saying at all, precisely the opposite in fact. I'm saying the financial dominance of Rangers and Celtic has made it near enough a delirious wet dream that any other club could win their league, I'm not Scottish but there is no way any other club goes into a season thinking there is even a shred of hope to reach the top! This ridiculous "super league" will exacerbate the gaps that already exist in other leagues. What's the point point in Leicester or Everton even competing for the league against a "big 6" that would have an even bigger financial advantage just for the uncertain prospect the ladder up might be dangled their way by clubs they're finishing higher than?

It goes further afield as well, what of the other clubs in Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, Portugal, Greece etc. They're already treated like sh*t and should have greater clout yet now they're being all but totally shut out. I cannot articulately put into words what an utterly dumb, selfish, and conceited ploy this is, the fact there are fans defending or trying to find reason in this is utterly mind boggling!

3 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Wonder if UEFA will kick us, Real and City out of the CL and restore Dortmund, Porto and have RB and Atlanta play off to face Porto? 

Maybe Sheff U will play Everton for the right to face the foxes in the FA cup final?

Leicester, West Ham and Everton going at it for the title?

Top 4 wont matter to us anymore now eh?

I repeat the question. 

What reason do we have to bother in any of the remaining league games? 4th or 10th hey we are a super league grinder and will always play on it.

Why do we deserve that right? Why does any team involved. None of the 20 PL clubs get that.

The statement can say what it likes, it sounds like the PL made their position clear in support of Fifa and UEFA.

They made it clear, make this break away league, get kicked out of your league, the cups and other european competitions. Your players will be banned from playing for their countries. For many players the world cup is the highest calling in the sport.

Will Kante stay with us when he is banned for playing for France? How about Mount from England?

As for this season forget about the trophies. We are seriously in the dog house as are Real and City. So may well be Perez gets the first FU and we get to the final but when we face PSG, and Leicester, expect Anthony Taylor's ugly and more vindictive brother to come along and hit us hard.

Not that the club dont deserve that, they do. The fans, plauers and the staff do not though.

I cannot believe Chelsea have found a way to shock and disappointment me more than Frank's sacking in the same season.

The selfishness of these clubs. Wow, I honestly thought I supported a club that was better than this.

9 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Would appear they’re backtracking already about banning people and now want to talk...

Not sure if it's backtracking. They've made the threat clear and now want to calm things down and presumably give the clubs a chance to change direction before they hit the iceberg.

With all the ties that PSG has with everyone including Qatar, it's interesting that they somehow are not mentioned as one of the clubs that agreed to this, they clearly have some massive deals with FIFA and UEFA I mean that's why they got to host the World Cup as there is no other reason but the money involved...

If the info is correct the 12 clubs are:  Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea F.C., Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, Liverpool, Juventus, Inter Milan and A.C. Milan. Why are spuds on this list nobody knows.

1 minute ago, Gol15 said:

With all the ties that PSG has with everyone including Qatar, it's interesting that they somehow are not mentioned as one of the clubs that agreed to this, they clearly have some massive deals with FIFA and UEFA I mean that's why they got to host the World Cup as there is no other reason but the money involved...

If the info is correct the 12 clubs are:  Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea F.C., Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, Liverpool, Juventus, Inter Milan and A.C. Milan. Why are spuds on this list nobody knows.

PSG are strongly rumoured to be one of the additional clubs that will join. Perhaps they are using this as a way to win the Champions League before they jump ship.

8 hours ago, axman2526 said:

I repeat the question. 

What reason do we have to bother in any of the remaining league games? 4th or 10th hey we are a super league grinder and will always play on it.

Why do we deserve that right? Why does any team involved. None of the 20 PL clubs get that.

The statement can say what it likes, it sounds like the PL made their position clear in support of Fifa and UEFA.

They made it clear, make this break away league, get kicked out of your league, the cups and other european competitions. Your players will be banned from playing for their countries. For many players the world cup is the highest calling in the sport.

Will Kante stay with us when he is banned for playing for France? How about Mount from England?

As for this season forget about the trophies. We are seriously in the dog house as are Real and City. So may well be Perez gets the first FU and we get to the final but when we face PSG, and Leicester, expect Anthony Taylor's ugly and more vindictive brother to come along and hit us hard.

Not that the club dont deserve that, they do. The fans, plauers and the staff do not though.

I cannot believe Chelsea have found a way to shock and disappointment me more than Frank's sacking in the same season.

The selfishness of these clubs. Wow, I honestly thought I supported a club that was better than this.

A simple like for this post isn't enough, but that bit in bold? Nail on the head and a kick right in the feels!

3 minutes ago, jack h said:

Not what i'm saying at all, precisely the opposite in fact. I'm saying the financial dominance of Rangers and Celtic has made it near enough a delirious wet dream that any other club could win their league, I'm not Scottish but there is no way any other club goes into a season thinking there is even a shred of hope to reach the top! 

Yet they do? Every single year and pre-Covid had one of the best turnouts per capita in Europe. The idea that just because you have no chance of winning the league or competing with the financial power houses means that your club is pointless or no one will watch it, dimly isn’t true.

4 minutes ago, Kentonio said:

Not sure if it's backtracking. They've made the threat clear and now want to calm things down and presumably give the clubs a chance to change direction before they hit the iceberg.

To go from we’ll ban your players if you sign up to this... *signs up to this*... let’s sit down and talk about this - is quite the climb down IMO. We shall see.

4 minutes ago, Kentonio said:

Even in UEFA's announcement they didn't clearly say that players would be unable to play for their countries. It was out there as more of a possibility. I suspect that won't be enforced as it gets into the whole club v. country argument. However UEFA will still need to have club competitions for everybody else to maintain the integrity of the domestic competitions. The German teams will not join this debacle as the fans own a certain stake in the club. Then you have all the clubs from countries that were not invited (e.g. Portugal, Netherlands, Scandivanian countries etc.). Not to mention the rest of the clubs from the Premier League, Serie A, La Liga etc. So there will still be some quality there. 

8 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Yet they do? Every single year and pre-Covid had one of the best turnouts per capita in Europe. The idea that just because you have no chance of winning the league or competing with the financial power houses means that your club is pointless or no one will watch it, dimly isn’t true.

Again, that isn't what I said. It's a two team league with all but zero chance of another club coming anywhere near top. Initiatives to improve football should be based on increasing competition, not widening an already existing chasm.

13 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

The rights to televise the Champions League is beIN Sports, Qatar-based media company owned by.. PSG's Owner

Edit: My mistake. UEFA's chairman is not PSG's owner but the rest is true

Edited by Deino
7 minutes ago, forbzy said:

PSG are strongly rumoured to be one of the additional clubs that will join. Perhaps they are using this as a way to win the Champions League before they jump ship.

They won't. It's beyond crazy if they did

7 minutes ago, forbzy said:

I think they are silent because of their ties with FIFA and UEFA, they have strong relations so they couldn't just break it off so easily... Or they are happy to play CL finals vs Bayern every year from now on lol

• coco changed the title to Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League
  • coco pinned this topic