Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League

Sindre

Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

I still Roman can be talked out of this. According to the media both Chelsea and City owners were not keen on the plan but were backed into a corner. If that is true then maybe Roman will see some sense when our fan base goes into total revolt over this.

But if not I am sure the CPO group will have some ideas for a new Chelsea that keeps the Chelsea name. The club that goes into this new competition will probably not be able to take the name with them.

Thought i'd share this post from another forum.

I'm prepared to very much "sit on the fence" over this for the time being as more information will continue to filter out over the coming days and weeks. At the moment whilst things are so raw, there's always going to be a huge negative backlash around it. 

I don't mind the idea of breaking away from UEFA to form a cup competition amongst the elite sides in Europe. There has been huge issues with UEFA for years, yet they've been able to continue on their way because they consider themselves untouchable. So either breaking away from that, or forcing UEFA's hand to drastic reforms to me isn't a problem.

The biggest issue is the potential of being excluded from competing domestically. As some have already mentioned, the emotional aspect of domestic rivalry can't be replicated.

There have been huge reforms in sports which have been ridiculed or opposed but have turned out extremely successful and if anything enhanced the sport. The English Premier League is an example. Rugby Super League, T20 in cricket. But the biggest vibe this gives off is what happened to darts where the PDC broke off from the BDO and effectively took over as the leading brand within the sport.

If this goes ahead I can see this in time taking over. The idea that football will continue to thrive without these clubs I feel is misguided. Don't get me wrong it won't just disappear, but the Premier League without the biggest clubs is barely a bigger pull than the Championship, as brutal as that may sound. The best players are at these "elite" clubs. It sounds like Bayern are joining, and I'd be surprised if PSG hold their ground on opposing it now it's out in public. They might get a few brownie points on a moral ground for not being a "founding club" but if this really does go ahead then they won't be left behind. The power that these top clubs hold has been completely underestimated for years and it seems like they're now prepared to use that power.

With the money and power potentially involved, if these clubs are banned/removed from their league's and UEFA what is stopping them from trying to poach other teams. Money talks at the end of the day. If the group say, approached Leicester, Villa, Leeds and Everton (as an example) to breakaway and create a 10 team domestic league to run in conjunction with the Super League, I'd be surprised if they chose not to. It doesn't take much to do something similar across the other top leagues in Europe and before you know it, this breakaway has 40-50 teams with all the elite players across Europe and retaining a domestic schedule to run alongside their proposed Super League format. They would potentially be in a position to set up their own type of World Cup before long too as an international competition.

I think we can all agree with his sentiments on Uefa. 

Edited by Argo

Just now, Gol15 said:

I think they are silent because of their ties with FIFA and UEFA, they have strong relations so they couldn't just break it off so easily... Or they are happy to play CL finals vs Bayern every year from now on lol

In the short term this probably makes them look left behind. However I think they will be smart to stay put. Beyond an increased chance of winning the Champions League they might avoid being pulled into the disastrous crevice with the clubs that join this super league. 

5 minutes ago, jack h said:

Again, that isn't what I said. It's a two team league with all but zero chance of another club coming anywhere near top. Initiatives to improve football should be based on increasing competition, not widening an already existing chasm.

You literally said there was no point in those clubs existing & I’m pointing out how blatantly wrong you are.

1 minute ago, Argo said:

Thought i'd share this post from another forum.

I think we can all agree with his sentiments on Uefa. 

Absolutely. I have no loyalty to UEFA and that is about the only good thing that might come out of this. Having said that I cannot get behind any competition that doesn't have a fair qualification process. Why should any club be guaranteed a place in this competition without having to earn it. That is the biggest issue I have with it.

The sad thing is even if we can play in the PL. Any manager won't risk it at all, for example playing Newcastle on Friday then playing Barcelona on Wednesday. No manager would risk playing the A team against Newcastle, there's no point at all.

5 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

EzSsH3kVcAQTxEF?format=jpg&name=medium

EzSmtYgVoAUhyBA?format=jpg&name=large

Amen to that.

I have long felt the CL is corrupt and if this was a fairly run alternative that allowed for clubs to qualify and not have certain entry then fair enough.

But to risk our place in the english league and FA cup and the history we have in them since our founding is unforgivable.

If we lose our place in these competitions the club loses it soul.

8 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

You literally said there was no point in those clubs existing & I’m pointing out how blatantly wrong you are.

I said they "may as well not exist" because of how utterly devoid of even the prospect of competition there is. I'm not trying to demean what the other clubs mean to their fans or their right to play. If you can't see the parallel I'm drawing between the current state of Scottish football with what I believe this proposal will do then I don't know what to say, clearly I can't articulate how damaging I feel this is going to be to the fabric and integrity of the sport.

1 hour ago, The Don Antonio said:

So pretty much we are f**ked ?

It's going to snowball into a much bigger problem that may kill domestic and grassroots football.

It starts out as midweek games, then these 20 clubs will do what Bayern did. They'll hoover every promising player from Villa to Rennes then swap them with each other. Once it gets bigger, that league will hoover up all the tv rights, sponsorships, labels etc then probably open up the bidding to host superleague games.

The English footballing pyramid may collapse seeing as the debt accrued by football clubs are offset by tv money and sponsorships trickling down.

No more magic of European Nights, no more giant killing. 

1 hour ago, Malta Blue said:

How long until we start using nicknames as our full name like nfl teams?

The Chelsea Lions, the liverpool birds? And stupid sh*t like that

The MK Dons beat us all too it years ago.  As for the rest of us it's not the first time its been mooted by a long way.

8 hours ago, Deino said:

It's going to snowball into a much bigger problem that may kill domestic and grassroots football.

It starts out as midweek games, then these 20 clubs will do what Bayern did. They'll hoover every promising player from Villa to Rennes then swap them with each other. Once it gets bigger, that league will hoover up all the tv rights, sponsorships, labels etc then probably open up the bidding to host superleague games.

The English footballing pyramid may collapse seeing as the debt accrued by football clubs are offset by tv money and sponsorships trickling down.

No more magic of European Nights, no more giant killing. 

Beating Barca over 2 legs when 2-0 down with 10 men, Playing Real Madrid for the first time in 23 years, Playing in iconic stadiums like the San Siro. Gonna mean f**k all when you meet those teams and those events happen every f**king year.

This is an outrage of the highest degree, one can hardly find the words to express the utter disgracefulness of such a grubby money grabbing scheme, for chrisakes how can we as Chelsea fans first and football fans second allow this Super League to go ahead with our beloved Owner’s mitzvah and 2 bob Tottenham Hotspurs are one of the clubs included as a freaking founder................like I said it’s a scandalous proposal bang out of order, really ?

Now if Roman is thinking ultimately of re branding and a global super league and wants to move the Bridge to Los Angeles to share the Rams & Chargers massive billions of dollars F off stadium I’m in🤣

38 minutes ago, General said:

Now if Roman is thinking ultimately of re branding and a global super league and wants to move the Bridge to Los Angeles to share the Rams & Chargers massive billions of dollars F off stadium I’m in🤣

Arsenal will probably the first team to do that. Kroenke is also involved in this, remember? 

1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Football should be more than money - particularly to the fans. The league title would still be an amazing achievement to me, whether we’re in this ESL or the UCL. In fact, I’m pretty sure the UCL is our main money maker now? So it’s absolutely no different.

It's the sheer elitism of the ESL. In the CL, as long as you qualify, you get to play in it. That's the point.

Everton, City and 5 years ago Leicester managed to break into it. The competition is what football is all about. Any team can qualify for the CL.

But only elites get into the ESL. Where's the equality, fairness and sportsmanship in that? So-called elite teams hoover up money whilst the smaller clubs get shafted.

Not surprised to see us and so many English teams opt in. Particularly given that at least two of the 6 teams maybe more could miss out on Europe in any given year. This year it could be 3 with Leicester.

I actually wonder whether this is an ambit claim designed to force UEFA into negotiating something more acceptable.

I’m still speechless hours after the announcement.

The ripple effect this will have on the Premier League, the domestic cup competitions and on UEFA cannot be understated.

Just shaking my head that we’ve signed up to this. The emotional investment for the rest of the season and beyond will diminish if this goes ahead.

If the FA does cave in and allow the big 6 to stay in the league, what motivation is there to perform?  Hypothetically speaking,  you could get relegated from the league and still know you have the financial backing of the super league revenue. It is so ass backwards.  I hope the FA wrecks these clubs as much as they can. It is such an insult to the entire football pyramid.  

I want to hear what the players and coaches have to say about this. If Solskjaer's interview is anything to go by, it appears that he found out about it the same time we did. If this is true, then even the players and coaches weren't consulted about it.

I don't think they should stay silent about this, it's too important.

Edited by Scott Harris

Not surprised to see the most greedy clubbing Spain, the most corrupt in Italy and the fallen giant seeking the maximum returns from England are the ringleaders here.

21 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I want to hear what the players and coaches have to say about this. If Solskjaer's interview is anything to go by, it appears that he found out about it the same time we did. If this is true, then even the players and coaches weren't consulted about it.

TT interview should be interesting tomorrow Scott...

21 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I am sure some players and managers will be against it but money talks and there will be plenty on the table. Several countries have already confirmed that they will not pick players for their national teams if they participate in this league, notably Germany. If that is the case it will be interesting to see what Werner and Havertz think.

• coco changed the title to Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League
  • coco pinned this topic
  • Mod Stark unpinned this topic