Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League

Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

15 minutes ago, coco said:

JPMorgan just confirmed they are financing the ESL, so i don't think this is extreme negotiating, i think it's already decided.

This is the bit I don't understand, Can these clubs unilaterally decide this ? I suppose they have ?

From the reaction I have seen and read, maybe it is just a shot across the bows, they would have to fill these teams with players that can't play in the premier league and their national team. That is all a bit strange which player would do that. it is so far fetched part of me thinks it is a start of a negotiation and they have gone in hard for their starting position.  

Other thing I noticed it starts in August.... Posh preseason friendlies ? although the leagues have said players can't play in other competitions will surely end it. 

6 minutes ago, evissy said:

The lightest scenario here as I see it is the scenario ESL itself promotes: 15 richest football brands + 5 teams on merit play ESL annually and everything else stays the same. Biggest problems comes with UCL and for the 15 teams not having to qualify. Another problem is the gulf getting between the elite and the rest in terms of money. 

Which is the problem for me. Why should these clubs have the right to be permenant in this league where the others have to work for it. Everton, Leciester, Napoli, Valencia? All these clubs and some that are struggling financially. We pocket ourselves an extra 400m a year while these clubs dont because they are not seen as an "elite" club. Its astonishing arrogance. We've heard reports of the likes of Madrid and Barcelona rack up debts over the pandemic. This is them saving themselves while not giving a sh*t about the others.

The gulf between these clubs and the rest of the league will widen. Look at Arsenal, struggling to compete and have cemented themselves as a mid table table over the last few years. Now they get a financial boost because they are seen as a big club. Same with AC Milan.

Dock them all points.

If Boris Johnson wants to stop this, he needs to go after the bookmakers and ban them sponsoring our sports, like they did with tobacco companies, take a look at the snooker on BBC2, BETFRED everywhere. Without the bookies the ESL doesnt get off the ground.

1 hour ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

I’m not sure I agree. If fifa actually cared about smaller countries they’d actually host their tournaments in more developing nations since these tournaments are huge economic boosts for those countries. Instead they probably got a huge cheque from Qatar royals and decided to host the World Cup there. 
And about them adding teams, I honestly believe that them adding more teams and countries to tournaments is just to have more matches which gets more tv revenue. The super league I’m sure would eventually add more teams for money as well. They are both wolves but fifa and Uefa are trying to act like sheep.

I absolutely disagree about running wc in developing countries. WC is very2 expensive to run. How many developing country has 12 proper stadium? If you don't have them, you have to build expensive stadium that you can't maintain after the wc because your local team simply doesn't play in league big enough to support such stadium. 

6 minutes ago, andy said:

This is the bit I don't understand, Can these clubs unilaterally decide this ? I suppose they have ?

From the reaction I have seen and read, maybe it is just a shot across the bows, they would have to fill these teams with players that can't play in the premier league and their national team. That is all a bit strange which player would do that. it is so far fetched part of me thinks it is a start of a negotiation and they have gone in hard for their starting position.  

Other thing I noticed it starts in August.... Posh preseason friendlies ? although the leagues have said players can't play in other competitions will surely end it. 

Of course they can decide to build their own competition. The only problem like you said fa, eufa and fifa are against it hence they will have european super league but they can't play in pl,cl,euro etc. It will be a mess. 

Football is about dreaming, not so long ago Chelsea were a mid table team, a team relegated to division two with a few past glories to think of and dreams of hopefully getting it together and having future glories. It's what keeps clubs going, the dream that maybe, one day, you'll be the team that gets it together and rises through the leagues. 

You cannot end those dreams for people, without it football is worthless to 99% of the clubs out there. Yes it's unlikely and has become even more unlikely because of the financial disparity in football (that's another story). But it CAN still happen. 

Nearly 13 years ago my team got relegated to league one, the lowest we've ever been as a club. It was devastating, you feared for the club but you always kept dreaming that the right set of circumstances can turn it around. 12 years ago yesterday we won league one, we then went on to win the championship, the premier league, reached the quarter finals of the champions league and yesterday, 12 years to the day of getting out of league one, we reached the final of the FA Cup for the first time since I've been alive. 

Hours later, the door gets closed on any further dreams. The premier league will become a procession of haves and have nots (it's bad already, but this is the final nail), an utterly meaningless competition when clubs already know they won't be allowed into a closed shop. And if my some miracle you were, those already there would bloody well make sure it was only short term. 

Merit has to be the deciding factor on who is deserving and who it not, not how many fans you have in China or India. Or how many official paint sponsors you have. 

25 minutes ago, Imran_CFC said:

I am genuinely surprised at the fan outcry, we are appalled at the behavior of our clubs who are acting as per the norm and the standard they have set themselves and more importantly to a standard the fans have started to measure them on. The number of times I have heard fans argue over the "Net Spend" of a club and how well they are doing financially and wasn't it last week on this forum where fans on here wanted players rested for an FA Cup Semi final so we can focus on a CL finish so the club didn't miss out on millions. Didn't we earlier this year sack a club legend and bin a project which a lot of the fans were completely sold on in order to secure a CL spot which was looking unlikely at the time.

Why the Outcry? is it because of change? is it because the media is telling us it's a bad idea who have a huge investment in the current product? UEFA have f**ked us, Arsenal & PSG in the most blatant manner in the recent past and the FA have been right up United and Liverpool's ass as far back as memory serves yet people are buying the narrative they are selling. I do oppose the idea of the Super League but this was always going to happen at some point and we the fans are to blame to allow the fabric of football to be eroded over time and now we have this Commercial Monsters who will always choose Money over Fans yet we  the fans appear like the hypocrites as the Commercial Monsters always have and always will choose money over any footballing heritage and ideology.  

I can only speak on my own behalf when I say that I don't put myself and my club in the center when it comes to this, there is the option to simply look out for our best interest and say you know what we're a big rich team we don't need to worry about anything we should just go with the flow but personally I feel that it's wrong to ditch everything simply because you're a big club too big to fail.

I find it self-centered and egoistic to act like Florentino Perez: “If the players participating in the European Super League are banned from playing the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, we will create our own World Cup tournament. It is not a big deal.” Yes we know, you can do everything you want I personally think and I can only speak for myself when I say that it's wrong to establish something like a never failing pyramid scheme where the richest clubs will continue to be richer and everyone else can basically gtfo, if you're a small club you can count on the fact that you will be giving to the richest your best players forever unless you also get a Roman or a Saudi or whatever as a new owner...

We are in this unique situation because of our recent 20 years history but the 99% of all clubs can simply put their head down and watch as Real Madrid is openly saying:"You're not good enough for us we want only a few clubs to play with as we are so above everyone else".

This is a matter of decency and respect if you ask me, I know that UEFA and FIFA are corrupted but they have been sustaining the likes of Barcelona, PSG, Real Madrid for years and now those teams simply want to bite off the hand that allowed them to get away with as much as possible, at some point the greed and the ego of those biggest clubs turned into that voice that says:"I don't need the middle man anymore, give me all right away as I'm the only one that deserves it".

We're replacing a familiar monster, with an unfamiliar one and potentially more scary. Let's not forget that the ones that complain the most (Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United) have been having the easiest time with UEFA that pushed them as much as possible in the recent years but even that wasn't enough for them, it looks like nothing will ever be enough for them they keep wanting more and more privileges and favoritism and that's not going to suddenly disappear, specially not if they are organizing a new league.  

Edited by Gol15

2 hours ago, evissy said:

UEFA's stance is pretty strong here. As you would expect. Pretty interesting to see how all this pan out. 

No surprises here. UEFA and FIFA will be doing whatever they can to protect their patch. Tbh I have zero sympathy for UEFA or FIFA in all this. Have overseen a disastrous administration for years with that smell of corruption always hanging about. It would be great if this forces genuine reform. 

Will be interesting to see the players stance now that they are looking at not being able to play national football either. I mean there is also a question about work permits and contracts and a whole bunch of other leverage points that governments could have tostop something like this happening.

Given the size of the EPL as an export for the UK, I wouldn't be surprised if it went that way, particularly as only one of the owners (Joe Lewis) is actually British. Would seem strange for the UK government to undermine a massive product to benefit a few foreign owners. 

2 hours ago, RMH said:

Reading Spanish sport papers, there doesn't seem to be a strong reaction against it as there's been here in England. Then again, the Spanish press is dominated by Barsa and Real Madrid, so no surprise not to read a strong opposition to this.

This was the only way English clubs could be stopped from starting a complete domination over EVERY league in this world and the fools fell for it and played right into the hand of those dirty Spanish clubs. And Juventus who was probably going right at the bottom of the barrel if things stayed that way.

English clubs had the chance to basically kill the so called Spanish giants, but the stupid f**kers took the bait and basically will soon revert power when they could have had it all.

1 hour ago, just said:

Indeed Gol. I'm not naieve enough to think for a moment that the clubs involved are motivated by anything other than money and self-interest, as are UEFA, FIFA, EPL etc. But which is the lesser of the two evils?

Similarly I have never been naieve enough to believe that Roman Abramovich has ever, at any point, given two f*cks about what Chelsea fans want.  I'm sure he cares about the club as he does any other major financial investment he makes . But he sees it not as our club. He sees it as his club brought and paid for to do with as he sees fit. Whatever PR and media spin he puts out to try and portray otherwise.

I agree with others who have already voiced the same opinion. The golden age of football for me was before global brand rights, obscene TV revenues, mega sponsorship deals, super-agents, billionaire owners and some players earning £500k a week. But that's how the world works my friend. Nothing stays the same, and the only thing you can be sure of is CHANGE.

For better, or worse.

I fear this is correct. Big money wins in the end. When it comes to football, I can’t think of a single counter example. There’s an inevitability to this, I’m afraid, and the best we can hope for is it gets done in a fairer way than what’s currently being proposed. But don’t hold your breath. The worst part is, if we are honest with ourselves, we will end up swallowing it, the same we swallowed everything else you mention. And is this really any different / worse? We will say we’ll boycott it, etc. As if! Of course we’ll watch. I have friends that were ardent football fans, but gave up on it as it just became commercial to the  point of absurdity (we all know that we can count on one hand the number of players that WOULDN’T go and play for another club for a bigger pay check). These friend have my utmost respect, but they will always be a minority. 

13 minutes ago, petre ispirescu said:

Spaniards are some of the most arrogant and egotistical people in the history of mankind, they are greedy and care a lot of what others think of them, they are simply obsessed and need to make it look they are and stay relevant no matter what. Of course they agree to win, Madrid and Barcelona are skint, in a few years time English clubs were going to surpass the Italian league and Spanish league by five, six times - financially speaking. Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus they'd fight for Lingard, Xhaka, Oxlande Chamberlain, whereas the English clubs for Mbappe, Haaland and the next Messi.

This was the only way English clubs could be stopped from starting a complete domination over EVERY league in this world and the fools fell for it and played right into the hand of those dirty Spanish clubs. And Juventus who was probably going right at the bottom of the barrel if things stayed that way.

English clubs had the chance to basically kill the so called Spanish giants, but the stupid f**kers took the bait and basically will soon revert power when they could have had it all.

Generalisation much?

13 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

I can only speak on my own behalf when I say that I don't put myself and my club in the center when it comes to this, there is the option to simply look out for our best interest and say you know what we're a big rich team we don't need to worry about anything we should just go with the flow but personally I feel that it's wrong to ditch everything simply because you're a big club too big to fail.

I find it self-centered and egoistic to act like Florentino Perez: “If the players participating in the European Super League are banned from playing the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, we will create our own World Cup tournament. It is not a big deal.” Yes we know, you can do everything you want I personally think and I can only speak for myself when I say that it's wrong to establish something like a never failing pyramid scheme where the richest clubs will continue to be richer and everyone else can basically gtfo, if you're a small club you can count on the fact that you will be giving to the richest your best players forever unless you also get a Roman or a Saudi or whatever as a new owner...

We are in this unique situation because of our recent 20 years history but the 99% of all clubs can simply put their head down and watch as Real Madrid is openly saying:"You're not good enough for us we want only a few clubs to play with as we are so above everyone else".

This is a matter of decency and respect if you ask me, I know that UEFA and FIFA are corrupted but they have been sustaining the likes of Barcelona, PSG, Real Madrid for years and now those teams simply want to bite off the hand that allowed them to get away with as much as possible, at some point the greed and the ego of those biggest clubs turned into that voice that says:"I don't need the middle man anymore, give me all right away as I'm the only one that deserves it".

We're replacing a familiar monster, with an unfamiliar one and potentially more scary. Let's not forget that the ones that complain the most (Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United) have been having the easiest time with UEFA that pushed them as much as possible in the recent years but even that wasn't enough for them, it looks like nothing will ever be enough for them they keep wanting more and more privileges and favoritism and that's not going to suddenly disappear, specially not if they are organizing a new league.  

All Valid points and genuine reasons not to support the European Super League However the point still stands that media and majority of fans are crying foul at football clubs for acting like they've always acted which is selfishly.

This is not really an overnight thing, this is something which has seeped into the game over the last 20 years, fans and media had ample opportunity to call the clubs and the senior bodies out when it came to increasing ticket prices, changing stadium names, Sacking Managers, Auditing Ownership, fighting corruption etc. but at the time all was fine because everything was still operating within the bounds of the media companies, Uefa and FA, it was only a matter of time until Greed bought down the house of cards.

15 minutes ago, petre ispirescu said:

Spaniards are some of the most arrogant and egotistical people in the history of mankind, they are greedy and care a lot of what others think of them, they are simply obsessed and need to make it look they are and stay relevant no matter what. Of course they agree to win, Madrid and Barcelona are skint, in a few years time English clubs were going to surpass the Italian league and Spanish league by five, six times - financially speaking. Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus they'd fight for Lingard, Xhaka, Oxlande Chamberlain, whereas the English clubs for Mbappe, Haaland and the next Messi.

As a Spaniard, I have taken offence to this post full of hatred, so I'd like either an apology or I'll have to report you.

2 minutes ago, RMH said:

As a Spaniard, I have taken offence to this post full of hatred, so I'd like either an apology or I'll have to report you.

As an english man I can categorically deny the other guys post and I would like to add that the most arrogant race can only be between the english and the americans. That kind of racism has no place on here and on behalf of the english people that dont share that idiots views I would like to apologise

10 hours ago, jack h said:

But who will watch it? The consensus is near unanimous amongst all fans including the 6 sell outs. I'm sure as f**k not gonna pay anthing into this.

edit: I know people will point to foreign fans but many wont be fooled by this and I can't see the clubs surviving if their home support walks away.

I said i would watch it, not that i pay for it anyway. I wouldnt say im a sell out, im just being honest with himself. At the end of the day there is no amount of boycotting fans can do that will impact these clubs. Global fanbases will pay the subscription fees, they will buy the shirts, and if everyone stopped going to games, they would move the game to a country and venue that will no doubt sell out. 

The only people with power at this point are the players. If they refused to play, and went in strike, then the situation will change, but as long as games being played, the 'product' will still be in high demand. 

2 minutes ago, Malta Blue said:

As an english man I can categorically deny the other guys post and I would like to add that the most arrogant race can only be between the english and the americans. That kind of racism has no place on here and on behalf of the english people that dont share that idiots views I would like to apologise

As an American I stand in solidarity with this statement... 

• coco changed the title to Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League
  • coco pinned this topic