Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League

Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

7 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

I've been off the forum a while, but thought good to air my anger here. 

Let's be clear. An NFL style European super league doesn't need 30% of it's clubs to be based in england and 15% to be in London. 

Which team will be the first to be lifted out and moved to a new location? Probably the team with worst stadium and no prospect of building a new one. 

This will be the death of Chelsea. Either in 5 or 20 years. It must be stopped. 

Why would a team move for a European competition? It’s a replacement competition for the CL effectively. The proposal includes playing in the current domestic leagues which means they’d all still play in the PL, where are you getting the idea that they’d move? 

I’m sure someone else has mentioned this, but it wasn’t long ago the Premier League were pushing for a 39th game overseas. One could naturally assume that a good chunk of a Super League’s fixtures would be staged in the US, Far East and Middle East. So those few fans that are fine with this might not feel the same when even they can’t attend ‘home’ fixtures.

Got to say though, I really can’t see this happening, but can see UEFA giving these clubs everything they want. So perhaps permanent participation in the European Cup (no qualification) and a format that guarantees them plenty of games (so no being knocked out in group stages). So some form of barely competitive exhibition tournament.

4 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Why would a team move for a European competition? It’s a replacement competition for the CL effectively. The proposal includes playing in the current domestic leagues which means they’d all still play in the PL, where are you getting the idea that they’d move? 

But if they are kicked out of all their domestic competitions, as has been mooted, what else are they going to play in that makes their geographical location even important ?

I'm waiting for the announcement that the ESL will drop the E and invite new billionaire owned clubs from USA, China etc .... give it a year or two ...

5 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I don't see how the premier league operates alongside the super league long term. 

This is an American influence, the NFL, NBA, MLB don't have multiple competitions. 

They've said they want this to supplant CL and domestic competitions to remain, but how can any domestic league allow this to take place. It renders competition in those leagues impossible. But even if they did, eventually you will see a complete break away. It's the end state of this.

2 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

I would have subbed America for Africa but the sentiment remains. All about the emerging markets and maximising the dollars. Using an NFL/NBA franchise model. 

Even the NFL and NBA teams have smaller franchises though. There will always be the biggest clubs/franchises, in the US less people are about the Mid-West since the big cities are LA or NY but IMO this has very little to do with other markets I think that the biggest clubs simply don't want to be involved with UEFA anymore.

What if in 2 years Real Madrid, Man United and Barcelona decide that they don't want to include Chelsea in their league but suddenly it pays off more for them to include Bayern because it's easier to fix things due to Brexit or whatever so that they earn a bit more money?

Makes little to no sense to me to justify them, they had tons of help by UEFA and they are now trying to fully eliminate them, it sucks to be a fan but imagine being Pulisic that was fighting hard this season and came almost to the end stage of his job and now his boss says sorry we're not doing that anymore wait next year it's a new job for you now...

First, what's the point of calling a league "super", when you got a team like Arsenal but not Leicester. Or a team like Tottenham, but not Dinamo Zagreb. 😆

Second, where's the joy in watching Arse and Spuds lose if there isn't a chance of them getting relegated?

What a stupid league. This americanization seriously has to stop.

33 minutes ago, RMH said:

It is a bizarre moment for Chelsea to announce that we are getting into this. With an FA Cup final and CL semi finals to play, why risking getting kicked out of both or destabilising the team focus with this announcement? I think is power play by Clubs against the new UEFA idea of CL. I don't like the idea of it, but I don't like the path that UEFA is taking the CL league either. In any case, whatever the compromise they reach, the big clubs will end up winning one or other way.

Nobodies getting kicked out of anything just yet. Only PSG would be left, thus making a mockery of the Champions League this season. I'm hoping this doesn't shift the players focus from this strong run of form. Tuchel needs to keep them focused on the football. 

The players union will have something to say about this but I suspect any player refusing to play for his club would be in breach and liable to fines and/or no wages.

The only thing in recent history anything like this is the formation of the Premier league and even then the table was reduced by 3 clubs (I think). This is potentially more disruptive. I don't know if its a good or bad thing at the moment. At first glance it looks like big business (IE JP Morgan) are behind a takeover bid of the Champions League. This type of things happens all the time in the business world but we are football fans and we just to watch CFC in the stadium or on the TV without paying a premium. We also want the cash to flow down the leagues to the grass roots to encourage our youngsters. We haven't heard any plans yet so we can't really say too much.

I'm not going to get on an emotional roller coaster like Gary Neville but I do understand his love of the game and the good sport does for society. We need to continue that good but we do not necessarily need to feel too unhappy about FIFA and UEFA taking a timely kick in the family jewels. Maybe this will give the whole footballing family a chance to air their feelings. I know I've never reconciled myself to Qatar getting the world cup. That should never have happened. They are not a footballing nation and just bought that competition. Let the real fans see the world cup. It is an absolute travesty that England hasn't had a world cup in 55 yrs. I honestly think the Europeans have held us back. Italy, Germany, France and not mention Brazil and Mexico have all had it twice but we get overlooked for Qatar. It stinks. 

I'm on the fence with this one at the moment. If I hear anything about tickets prices or TV subscriptions going up I'll decide then but lets hear a bit more from the ESL.

11 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

But if they are kicked out of all their domestic competitions, as has been mooted, what else are they going to play in that makes their geographical location even important ?

I'm waiting for the announcement that the ESL will drop the E and invite new billionaire owned clubs from USA, China etc .... give it a year or two ...

That won’t happen in my opinion. The financial loss would cripple the FA and bankrupt a number of clubs. There will be compromise on it. Clubs will still be allowed to participate in their domestic leagues - at least that’s my view. 

3 minutes ago, Vagabond said:

First, what's the point of calling a league "super", when you got a team like Arsenal but not Leicester. Or a team like Tottenham, but not Dinamo Zagreb. 😆

Second, where's the joy in watching Arse and Spuds lose if there isn't a chance of them getting relegated?

What a stupid league. This americanization seriously has to stop.

Yeah some people don't realise how much this will affect the dynamics, taking away the relegation battle, the battle for top 4, all your left with is the battle for #1, amongst 12 clubs with equal riches.

Sounds like a right bore feast to me as well.

12 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

I don't see how the premier league operates alongside the super league long term. 

This is an American influence, the NFL, NBA, MLB don't have multiple competitions. 

They've said they want this to supplant CL and domestic competitions to remain, but how can any domestic league allow this to take place. It renders competition in those leagues impossible. But even if they did, eventually you will see a complete break away. It's the end state of this.

Agree to disagree mate. This is about money pure & simple and the cost of missing out on CL is massive for clubs. In my opinion, this is about ensuring those clubs have that income every year irrelevant of their performance. If the CL had said to those clubs you qualify every year and don’t miss out - I think they’d have accepted that as well. 

I’m by no means saying it’s fair but I think it’s more about safeguarding that income that it is about becoming the NFL/NBA. 

34 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

I would have subbed America for Africa but the sentiment remains. All about the emerging markets and maximising the dollars. Using an NFL/NBA franchise model. 

I wouldn;t substitute America for Africa but instead add America. People under estimate the sheer numbers of fans from Africa and India

1 minute ago, coco said:

Yeah some people don't realise how much this will affect the dynamics, taking away the relegation battle, the battle for top 4, all your left with is the battle for #1, amongst 12 clubs with equal riches.

But it's not going to be it's going to be a battle for top 3 in 2 different tables and when top 3 is out of reach teams will be trying desperately to get into top 5 and have to take part in the play offs whilst the top 3 get an extra week off. I think I just this moment talked myself into likening the idea a tiny bit.

3 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

That won’t happen in my opinion. The financial loss would cripple the FA and bankrupt a number of clubs.

Your assuming the 6 EPL clubs would retain their huge fanbase, a quick scroll to the top of this page suggests that won't happen. Some of those fans will not bother with the game all together, but a lot will start following lower league football. For every big club, their are scores and scores of local clubs.

We'll end up with our clubs stolen from us, playing in a sterile league, with home games all over the planet, football will be split into two, the rules will be different, the ESL will have technology and mm offside decisions, the rest of football relies on the old fashioned referee.

5 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Agree to disagree mate. This is about money pure & simple and the cost of missing out on CL is massive for clubs. In my opinion, this is about ensuring those clubs have that income every year irrelevant of their performance. If the CL had said to those clubs you qualify every year and don’t miss out - I think they’d have accepted that as well. 

I’m by no means saying it’s fair but I think it’s more about safeguarding that income that it is about becoming the NFL/NBA. 

It's about maintaining the status quo. Serie A clubs are poor nowadays, Real and Barca are in massive debt due to galactico spending and covid. Even Arsenal and Tottenham are becoming footnote midtable teams.

The owners decided to stop the club from haemorrhaging money so they can get an even bigger cut of the money.

The ESL may start out as being a concurrent league but if no checks and balances occur, they will then probably plot a World Super League to include even more bigger names and ditch the PL altogether. It might not be immediate but if the ESL is successfully executed, in 5-10yrs it will be.

7 minutes ago, Malta Blue said:

But it's not going to be it's going to be a battle for top 3 in 2 different tables and when top 3 is out of reach teams will be trying desperately to get into top 5 and have to take part in the play offs whilst the top 3 get an extra week off. I think I just this moment talked myself into likening the idea a tiny bit.

But its not the best 12 teams in Europe, so whatever happens, the winner will not be the best on the planet, just the best of a mixed dozen.

if it happens and it looks like it will, I think the back stabbing six should be banned from the FA CUP and one of the 5 places up for grabs each year goes to the winners, and the two finalists of the Italian and Spanish equivalent should make up the extra 4 spaces. That way truly anyone can get in. It will probably be the likes of Leicester but without the likes of the 6 teams knocking out the lower teams there is a huge chance up for grabs

2 minutes ago, coco said:

But its not the best 12 teams in Europe, so whatever happens, the winner will not be the best on the planet, just the best of a mixed dozen.

20 teams mate so there is a chance for some actually good teams to come in each year and humiliate the traitors and beat them at their own games

17 minutes ago, coco said:

Exactly. I'm sure they will find other fans. Probably most of them won't be from the original base. But I have no interest in this new elitist format. If there is no promotion or relegation I will likely go back to grass roots football like many others. If this is backed by greed merchants like JP Morgan it will probably go the same way as Kerry Packer's efforts to reshape cricket.

21 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Looking at Dan roans tweets today it strikes me that we are being led down this path by american owners who want a similar model to NFL. 

I don't share your optimism. But even then, I hate the idea of what you think will happen. This will kill it for me regardless of how we go ahead. 

Screenshot_20210419-122400~2.png

4 minutes ago, LOFTYBILL said:

How to become a pariah of world football with one announcement. Shame on you Chelsea, I am disgusted after 55 years of support.

I have some sympathy with that view but it is also 55 years since FIFA and UEFA allowed us a world cup. Maybe they needed a swift punch on the nose. 

• coco changed the title to Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League