Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League

Sindre

Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

1 minute ago, Gol15 said:

It's so crazy, some next level post-modernism thing... Ruins the game, I wish Roman was like Bayern and told the club to stay put because of the love for the game and for the best league, the Premier League, very sad day as a fan.

I think we should stop pretending that the likes of PSG and Bayern are the good guys in this. You can be sure that two of the remaining three slots are reserved for them and they both want in. 

2 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I think we should stop pretending that the likes of PSG and Bayern are the good guys in this. You can be sure that two of the remaining three slots are reserved for them and they both want in. 

Not sure any German club will be involved.

1 minute ago, Scott Harris said:

I thought the same, I reckon they are waiting to see where the fallout leads to first before jumping in.

4 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Doesn't seem like that at all. Germans love their football and every club is 50% owned by fans, Bayern and Dortmund not responding is priceless right now and PSG has strong ties with FIFA and UEFA.

7 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Of course their boards want a piece of this. I have no doubt about that. But for different reasons their hands are tied.

Just now, Gol15 said:

Doesn't seem like that at all. Germans love their football and every club is 50% owned by fans, Bayern and Dortmund not responding is priceless right now and PSG has strong ties with FIFA and UEFA.

PSG have strong ties with FIFA because they have the next World Cup.

And one of their main sponsors have the TV-rights to CL in France which connects them to UEFA.

They will jump ship in a hurry once those two things have ended.

Just now, Gol15 said:

The English, Spanish and Italians love their football just as much, but this has nothing to do with the love of football, and you can be certain the likes of Bayern are trying to get into this. The fan ownership is the only thing holding them back right now,

1 minute ago, Sindre said:

PSG have strong ties with FIFA because they have the next World Cup.

And one of their main sponsors have the TV-rights to CL in France which connects them to UEFA.

They will jump ship in a hurry once those two things have ended.

Even if they do that, we and Roman didn't need to do it. We are doing fine, it hurts that Gary Neville was mentioning his club, Liverpool and Arsenal and expected more from them but took it for granted as if it's expected for Chelsea to do this move... I find it very sad.

UEFA chairman said he will be talking to lawyers tomorrow to see if he can get the "snakes and liars" chucked out of European competitions. Including the upcoming champions league and Europa league semis

2 minutes ago, Malta Blue said:

UEFA chairman said he will be talking to lawyers tomorrow to see if he can get the "snakes and liars" chucked out of European competitions. Including the upcoming champions league and Europa league semis

Only PSG left then if that's the case, what an absolute shambles this is. 

PSG are probably waiting to get the trophy before joining 😂

10 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Real Madrid and Barcelona are also Clubs owned by the supporters (there are still 4 supporters's owned clubs in Spain, Madrid, Barsa, Athletic Bilbao and Osasuna). They elect president every 4 or 5 years, not sure.

15 minutes ago, Malta Blue said:

He's going to have a busy few days then, because UEFA themselves are full of snakes and liars.

Edited by Scott Harris

7 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

The English, Spanish and Italians love their football just as much, but this has nothing to do with the love of football, and you can be certain the likes of Bayern are trying to get into this. The fan ownership is the only thing holding them back right now,

Good for Bayern in any case, their fans have a voice. We are anyway only considered because of Roman, otherwise we would be looking up like Leicester and West Ham are doing now. 

I haven't seen any retired player that is fine with this even if their club is into it they don't support it, I don't know anyone that likes Florentino Perez that thinks he's bigger than the game...

2 minutes ago, RMH said:

Real Madrid and Barcelona are also Clubs owned by the supporters (there are still 4 supporters's owned clubs in Spain, Madrid, Barsa, Athletic Bilbao and Osasuna). They elect president every 4 or 5 years, not sure.

I guess this is where the saying "Elections have consequences" rings true then ;). If the Real fans are angry about this they could conceivably vote out Perez next time around.

1 minute ago, forbzy said:

I guess this is where the saying "Elections have consequences" rings true then ;). If the Real fans are angry about this they could conceivably vote out Perez next time around.

I dont feel like the real fans will be too unhappy, real and barca has the most to gain. And you can guarantee atleast 25% of those fans who get to vote are puppets of real madrid who get told how to vote

I think this is a pretty reprehensible idea, but I don't have sympathy for the Premier league or their 'product'. 

This to me seems a logical conclusion of globalisation married to the non regulation of rising ticket prices.

- there is a fast growing cohort of domestic / local football supporters who have only been able to follow their clubs digitally (i.e. on TV / online) who have been priced out, added to the rapid increase in international fans who for reasons of geography cannot attend. 

Covid had shown that even without fans the 'minimum viable product' on offer still has a huge demand. 

It isn't a conspiracy that young people are the group most in favour of a supposed super league and it isn't because they lack respect for or understanding of tradition, competition, or grassroots football. This is already the way the understand football to be, and the Premier league has not just been complicit, it has been an active architect of this situation. 

Edited by g3.7

2 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

I suppose it's too much to ask that CFC lead the way in withdrawing from this fiasco ... with an appropriate apology to the rest of the football world and a complete humble pie consumed ...

Unfortunately no chance of this happening. Sounds like us and City didn't want it but money talks unfortunately. 

I still have a feeling this is all a power play against uefa. 

My disdain for Uefa......Platini and Blatter have been corrupt for years!!!! Giving these teams the short end of the stick, sending us to Baku for example.

Clubs have realised that they don't need Uefa but Uefa need them. Kick the big clubs and players out of your competition and no one will watch.

9 minutes ago, forbzy said:

That's a possibility but I would not trust them to do that mostly because Perez has certainly ways to control the supporters' assemblies. And from browsing at a Madrid forum with a survey, 37% for and 47% against, a majority but not as clear as it is here in England.

Funny most people who supported this idea is talking about corrupt uefa bla2 and this is globalization bla2.

Nope this is very simple, short term wise these 12 clubs want guarantee ucl spot, guarantee money for them, and more money. Done. 

Just curious does anyone actually believe these 12 clubs will be abolished from their leagues/Europe and start a new independent football league with no association with the rest of football?  

• coco changed the title to Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League
  • Mod Stark unpinned this topic