Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League

Sindre

Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

5 hours ago, axman2526 said:

I don't believe we will drop this idea. However if we do what do we think the chances are we find a scapegoat to pin it on to absolve roman and Marina of blame? Someone like say Bruce Buck.

I'd say that would be quite likely if we back out ... still not sure it would be enough though. The shame will stick for a long time, possibly eternally ...

Catastrophic error of judgement from whoever was involved in the decision, and can only have been at board level.  🙂

13 minutes ago, nonotnowjim said:

No - it was a typo. 75% are against

Ahh thank god for that, there is still a little common sense in the world.

Dont get me wrong the format itself wouldn't be bad, but that fact that they want 15 permanent teams and they dont care about the consequences or the fans is shocking and unforgivable

26 minutes ago, Stim said:

Are we supposed to be happy governments are going to bat for UEFA and helping protect their cash cow? Do they not have bigger problems to fix in the world than whether clubs want to play in the CL or not ?

Fully agree - they messed up brexit, messed up covid, and now we are expecting them to save football? It is laughable and they really have no place in getting involved in any way. 

9 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I’d probably be in favour and quite excited about this if they’d made this and everyone still had to qualify. I f**king hate UEFA & FIFA for that matter - two incredibly corrupt organisations and the new format for the CL looks absolutely terrible. This could have been much, much better. My only issue with it really is the fact that teams don’t need to qualify. If they did, I’d support it.

Yes kind of where I am with it too right now, and it’s laughable to see UEFA and FIFA getting all righteous and “our beautiful game” about it all. But it needs to be meritocratic (which UEFA and FIFA as we know most certainly are not - they’re corrupt, bloated bureaucracies run by morons, hence the atrocious decision-making) and if anything leaner than the current format and closer to the old one. I’d have nothing against one where, say, only the top 2 or 3 teams from the PL qualified and we did away with qualification rounds etc. But lo and behold, UEFA wants to do the opposite, promoting an even more bloated tournament, one that more closely resembles itself I suppose.

12 minutes ago, Malta Blue said:

If they want to get themselves back on track, how about stopping paying silly money on transfer fees, wages and agents ? They've had this huge f**king windfall from TV money and have basically handed it over, and more, to the players and the agents.  I have zero sympathy for the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona, who have been living beyond their means for years. Give them a budget of £200M they'll spend £300M. Give them £500M, they'll spend £700M ...

Some of these football chiefs couldn't run a piss up in a brewery ...

33 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

Interesting point about the defector clubs using the restructuring to reduce wages as a percentage of revenue:

https://fileundertragicomedy.wordpress.com/2021/04/19/the-super-league-is-about-wages-too/

That’s interesting, and if he’s anywhere close to correct, that’ll be the end of it. Surely there’s no way the players and their agents will see any kind of salary cap. Having said that, I guess they might persuade them that a Super League will see the players image rights income explode to compensate.

Think we will know much more by the end of today.

If UEFA make it clear they are going to kick us out of the semifinals and the club doesn't break rank there is no choice but to go all the way as there would be riots if you backed down after that.

Second alternative is that we come to our senses and are the first team to break out and remain in the CL.

44 minutes ago, Malta Blue said:

The bloke might well be senile ... look at this crap :

Real Madrid President Florentino Perez said the decision to create the new league, which his club would be a part of, was in part taken because "young people are no longer interested" in the game.

He told a Spanish TV show: "Audiences are decreasing and rights are decreasing and something had to be done. We are all ruined. Television has to change so we can adapt."

He can't run a football club and it is young people and TV's fault  ?? What a total bell-end ...  Henry, Glazer and Kroenke have fallen for his crap (and no doubt similar crap from Agnelli), basically because it panders to their greed, and then us and City and Spurs have run along behind them like dumb little puppies who don't want to miss out on a scooby snack ... for f**k's sake ... heads need to roll ... all the executives who signed up for this for a start ...

2 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

There’s a difference between having an organisation or someone run it than the proven corruption that occurs within UEFA. My point is, they could have created this competition & get a much bigger pot of money to be shared but do it fairly through qualification as opposed to the closed shop it is now.

Let say you have a new clean organization, 0 corruption and now there are 200 m more revenue to be shared among teams in europa and ucl, hence maybe each team will get 5 m more. 

Why bother dealing with all the mess of creating new competition if you get only 5 m more. 

Uefa is corrupt but they are not the problem here. 

What these club want isn't a new clean organization. They want more guaranteed money. It is that simple.

7 minutes ago, carrickblue said:

Premier league rule L9. Unless the premier league board gives priority approval, clubs cannot field their senior men's team in any new competition.

That's not going to happen .

Goodbye Premier league - madness . 

Don't think the EPL is going to stop this.

What are they going to do without the top six teams? The league would likely go bankrupt.

4 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

The bloke might well be senile ... look at this crap :

Real Madrid President Florentino Perez said the decision to create the new league, which his club would be a part of, was in part taken because "young people are no longer interested" in the game.

He told a Spanish TV show: "Audiences are decreasing and rights are decreasing and something had to be done. We are all ruined. Television has to change so we can adapt."

He can't run a football club and it is young people and TV's fault  ?? What a total bell-end ...  Henry, Glazer and Kroenke have fallen for his crap (and no doubt similar crap from Agnelli), basically because it panders to their greed, and then us and City and Spurs have run along behind them like dumb little puppies who don't want to miss out on a scooby snack ... for f**k's sake ... heads need to roll ... all the executives who signed up for this for a start ...

He should be banned from football after all this settles, let him eat at the same table as Blatter and Platini.

Looking forward to hear the interviews tonight after hearing Bamford and Milner last night. I reckon it just needs one team to walk away and the whole thing will fall through. Apparently us and Man City was touch and go anyway

2 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

Let say you have a new clean organization, 0 corruption and now there are 200 m more revenue to be shared among teams in europa and ucl, hence maybe each team will get 5 m more. 

Why bother dealing with all the mess of creating new competition if you get only 5 m more. 

Uefa is corrupt but they are not the problem here. 

What these club want isn't a new clean organization. They want more guaranteed money. It is that simple.

On what planet would you ever pick Perez and Agnelli to run a new 'clean' organisation ? These idiots have brought their own clubs to the brink of bankruptcy ...

The problem with UEFA or FIFA isn't the organisations themselves per se ... it's a few bad apples within them. Some like Blatter and Platini have already been weeded out.

Just now, Sindre said:

Don't think the EPL is going to stop this.

What are they going to do without the top six teams? The league would likely go bankrupt.

No it would mean that league table looks like this, that is the only difference...........

Leicester

West Ham

Everton

Leeds

Aston Villa

Wolves

1 minute ago, coombsie said:

I hope and pray that Chelsea are the first club to say "we got this wrong, completely underestimated the strength of our fans feeling and apologise unreservedly". Do I think that this will happen? not a f**king chance. As Just pointed out, if we honestly believe that Roman gives a toss about Chelsea fans, we are sadly misguided. This Club is an investment, albeit an exciting one for him, but an investment never the less, which he was offered the right money for, he would sell in less than a heartbeat.

I have NEVER felt so alienated by our club, I have supported them through the highs and lows, thick and thin for 52 years but honestly would consider following a non-league or lower league club rather than put a single penny into what should soon be a very full pot. I am staunch Chelsea, but I also love football, especially the romance of small clubs making it big, non League players making the big time, and almost extinct clubs surviving and judging by my family and mates (all of an age) we all feel the same.

I had expected this type of set up at some point, but not the unilateral animosity at every level of football that we are seeing. Chelsea always seem to self destruct, or shoot themselves in the foot, when things are going really well. Here we go again !!   I don't use the word lightly, but I pray that it's not too late to reverse this shockingly bad decision.

::clap2::::clap2::

5 minutes ago, coco said:

No it would mean that league table looks like this, that is the only difference...........

Leicester

West Ham

Everton

Leeds

Aston Villa

Wolves

TV-deal is going to be torn to shreds, sponsorships are going to disappear, players wages would have to nosedive etc etc.

It wouldn't be pretty for the EPL.

• coco changed the title to Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League
  • Mod Stark unpinned this topic