Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League

Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

18 minutes ago, coco said:

No it would mean that league table looks like this, that is the only difference...........

Leicester

West Ham

Everton

Leeds

Aston Villa

Wolves

Actually West Ham would be a country mile ahead of Leicester if results against the Big 6 are annulled.

Hammers are won 15 drawn 4 lost 2 against "the rest", but they've only got 6 points against the Big 6 (vs 16 points for Leicester and 15 for Everton).

I worked out they would be 9 points clear with a match in hand on Leicester, and effectively 5 games left for them and 4 for Leicester.

Edited by Sexyfootball
13 minutes ago, coco said:

That would be brilliant if that happened. About time we burst their f**king bubble.

Fair enough. But it would screw every team other than the six if their "bubble" is the only one to burst while the others are making billions in the ESL.

Would effectively turn the english league into some second rate, mediocre league in a hurry.

1 hour ago, nonotnowjim said:

Fully agree - they messed up brexit, messed up covid, and now we are expecting them to save football? It is laughable and they really have no place in getting involved in any way. 

You're expecting Florentino Perez to save football then? The man is absolutely deluded, don't act as if what he's doing is the right answer either.

17 hours ago, Malta Blue said:

UEFA chairman said he will be talking to lawyers tomorrow to see if he can get the "snakes and liars" chucked out of European competitions. Including the upcoming champions league and Europa league semis

Yes, and apparently UEFA have appointed the law firm of Pot, Kettle and Black to represent them.

1 minute ago, Sindre said:

Fair enough. But it would screw every team other than the six if their "bubble" is the only one to burst while the others are making billions in the ESL.

Would effectively turn the english league into some second rate, mediocre league in a hurry.

I'm not sure the ESL will be a success even if it goes ahead, maybe over time it will, but at the start it will struggle to get viewing figures (official figures not estimated streamers) and the regular fan base missing, zero atmosphere. Then you look at the EPL, grounds rammed full every game, viewing figures trouncing the ESL. Who knows it could end up like that.

38 minutes ago, coco said:

No it would mean that league table looks like this, that is the only difference...........

Leicester

West Ham

Everton

Leeds

Aston Villa

Wolves

Just imagine how happy that would make everyone who doesn't support one of the 'big six'. I'm surprised the idea isn't actually getting more support from supporters of all other clubs.

1 hour ago, Malta Blue said:

Said it in one of my posts yesterday, this is all about the Spanish clubs saving their ass. Plus Juventus. Three clubs that are in a big mess financially and have taken a big hit because of the pandemic. And the clubs that have made THE WORST transfer deals for the past couple of years, especially Juventus and Barcelona. When Pjanic and Arthur are involved in a 70M swap to balance the books you know those two clubs are in deep sh*t and all that's left for them is dodgy deals to try to save their ass.

And the English clubs fell for it when instead could have taken advantage of it and transform the PL into the greatest thing in world football.

Greedy fools, just go to this BS ESL, give Florentino Perez and Barcelona their power back and watch Ovrebro like performances in the QF's and absurd deals to bring the best players to Spain and create another Ronaldo v Messi era there and prevent English football from its growing. 

If Perez had the chance to bury English football for good he'd do it w/o any hesitations, now this fools are saving his ass.

9 minutes ago, coco said:

I'm not sure the ESL will be a success even if it goes ahead, maybe over time it will, but at the start it will struggle to get viewing figures (official figures not estimated streamers) and the regular fan base missing, zero atmosphere. Then you look at the EPL, grounds rammed full every game, viewing figures trouncing the ESL. Who knows it could end up like that.

The sad awakening would be if it'd still be deemed a (business) success story nevertheless because all non-European continents eventually would still be all over it. Nto saying that's what's going to happen but who know.

The "It's not a sport if you can't lose" argument seems silly to me though. It's a league, you can win it and hence you can lose too. We're not talking Harlem Globetrotters (yet).

Anyway, not to be misunderstood: I hate the ESL since it actually is a crime against the long-ass grown structure of pro football at the very core. But I'd hate the new CL format "almost" the same with wild-cards and whatnot.

10 minutes ago, coco said:

Not sure about that I don't think it will happen but if it does the Premier League are in trouble financially. They will be losing millions in advertising and TV subscriptions will  be down especially if an outside company get the TV rights.  The prize money for winning the Premier League will be down and so will the trickle down money to the lower leagues.

The financial incentives for Championship clubs will also be down and lets be honest if Barnsley got promoted they won't have the buzz of playing the top six so their fans biggest away day will be going to Villa Park or Newcastle both of who have been Championship teams themselves recently.

Sky and BT are going to have to face facts promoting Chelsea- Liverpool or Man United- Man City around the world is a massive money spinner with huge interest the same can't be said of Wolves- Brighton or Burnley-Palace. I'm hoping and praying this league won't happen but it's already put football on a path that I hate to use this word morally it will never recover from. 

Billionaire Robert Kraft, owner of Kraft Foods and the New England Patriots, was once asked if he would follow Kronke and John W Henry into buying an EPL Club and he commented "I would never invest in a League that had promotion and relegation, How could you run a business on that basis?"

This sums up the Club owners attitude to football.  Remove all risk of jeopardy = guaranteed profit, but only if someone buys your product 😉

42 minutes ago, petre ispirescu said:

Said it in one of my posts yesterday, this is all about the Spanish clubs saving their ass. Plus Juventus. Three clubs that are in a big mess financially and have taken a big hit because of the pandemic. And the clubs that have made THE WORST transfer deals for the past couple of years, especially Juventus and Barcelona. When Pjanic and Arthur are involved in a 70M swap to balance the books you know those two clubs are in deep sh*t and all that's left for them is dodgy deals to try to save their ass.

And the English clubs fell for it when instead could have taken advantage of it and transform the PL into the greatest thing in world football.

Greedy fools, just go to this BS ESL, give Florentino Perez and Barcelona their power back and watch Ovrebro like performances in the QF's and absurd deals to bring the best players to Spain and create another Ronaldo v Messi era there and prevent English football from its growing. 

If Perez had the chance to bury English football for good he'd do it w/o any hesitations, now this fools are saving his ass.

Totally agree and we missed the chance to watch Arsenal and Tottenham become a non competitive team and run themselves into debt

11 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I’d probably be in favour and quite excited about this if they’d made this and everyone still had to qualify. I f**king hate UEFA & FIFA for that matter - two incredibly corrupt organisations and the new format for the CL looks absolutely terrible. This could have been much, much better. My only issue with it really is the fact that teams don’t need to qualify. If they did, I’d support it.

2 hours ago, Dean said:

Yes kind of where I am with it too right now, and it’s laughable to see UEFA and FIFA getting all righteous and “our beautiful game” about it all. But it needs to be meritocratic (which UEFA and FIFA as we know most certainly are not - they’re corrupt, bloated bureaucracies run by morons, hence the atrocious decision-making) and if anything leaner than the current format and closer to the old one. I’d have nothing against one where, say, only the top 2 or 3 teams from the PL qualified and we did away with qualification rounds etc. But lo and behold, UEFA wants to do the opposite, promoting an even more bloated tournament, one that more closely resembles itself I suppose.

Some good points here which consider the other side of the coin. I don't know enough detail one way or the other to completely make my own mind up yet. But whilst the 12 founding teams are automatically exempt from having to qualify for the ESL I would be against it.

That said I am firmly in the camp that thinks that anything that can be used as leverage to drive change and reduce the power base of FIFA and UEFA has real merit. There are countless examples you can use to show how these organisations have abused their own regulatory framework and authority over the years to arbitrarily reward and punish teams as they see fit. The implementation of FFP and how those rules were applied "flexibly" for different clubs probably being the most heinous in recent years.

And don't get me started on Blatter! The man should have served a jail term for the level of corruption he, (and Platini), was finally found guilty of. And the fact they were eventually unmasked at all was only because FIFA and UEFA's hands were forced to act by an FBI investigation and prolonged external investigative journalism. Every internal FIFA and UEFA review up to that point had exonerated both of them!

Strong statement from Everton.

There is no way we escape this without looking like massive idiots. We need to apologize and break out but we have resigned from the ECA and got involved with some proper bellends. Florentino Perez yesterday claimed there will be massive fines for anyone that break out of the agreement at this point. He's known for making deals like that, that basically ensures that it's going to go through so I have no idea how we can even salvage this situation.

Everton is saddened and disappointed to see proposals of a breakaway league pushed forward by six clubs.

Six clubs acting entirely in their own interests.

Six clubs tarnishing the reputation of our league and the game.

Six clubs choosing to disrespect every other club with whom they sit around the Premier League table.

Six clubs taking for granted and even betraying the majority of football supporters across our country and beyond.

At this time of national and international crisis - and a defining period for our game - clubs should be working together collaboratively with the ideals of our game and its supporters uppermost.

Instead, these clubs have been secretly conspiring to break away from a football pyramid that has served them so well.

And in that Pyramid Everton salutes EVERY club, be it Leicester City, Accrington Stanley, Gillingham, Lincoln City, Morecambe, Southend United, Notts County and the rest who have, with their very being, enriched the lives of their supporters throughout the game's history. And vice versa.

The self-proclaimed Super Six appear intent on disenfranchising supporters across the game - including their own - by putting the very structure that underpins the game we love under threat.

The backlash is understandable and deserved – and has to be listened to.

This preposterous arrogance is not wanted anywhere in football outside of the clubs that have drafted this plan.

On behalf of everyone associated with Everton, we respectfully ask that the proposals are immediately withdrawn and that the private meetings and subversive practises that have brought our beautiful game to possibly its lowest ever position in terms of trust end now.

Finally we would ask the owners, chairmen, and Board members of the six clubs to remember the privileged position they hold – not only as custodians of their clubs but also custodians of the game. The responsibility they carry should be taken seriously.

We urge them all to consider what they wish their legacy to be.

Everton FC Board of Directors

4 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Where is this point of view come from? I’ve not read anything from the ESL or the clubs to say they’ll withdraw from the domestic cup competitions? If anything we should be staying in them - especially the Carabao cup as it’ll be the only chance we get to see youngsters get game time now.

I'm not saying we won't play in them, just that we won't take them seriously anymore. Where would they even fit in the schedule with a Super League? The maximum number of Champions League games you can play is 13, and even with that amount, the schedule was very congested, how are they going to fit in another 5 games minimum? For those that reach the final, it will be an extra 10 games.

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

You're expecting Florentino Perez to save football then? The man is absolutely deluded, don't act as if what he's doing is the right answer either.

He is not deluded, he is as corrupted as it gets and knows what he is doing. The UEFA directives are petty criminals in comparison.

As much as I hate the idea of the European Super League because it's pretty arrogant of the founder clubs to self appoint the title of elite and disconnect themselves from the foundations of football which helped them become the elite clubs in the first place.

However the strong response from UEFA has got me incredibly angry about how they approach other incredibly important matters such as Racism which are pretty much swept under the carpet. Where is the energy in banning players from World Cups and Euros when they are found guilt of being Racist, kudos to Bamford and Shaka Hislop (And others who may have spoken on the matter) who are showing a mirror to the UEFA who has all of a sudden decided to take the moral high ground.  

Just now, RMH said:

He is not deluded, he is as corrupted as it gets and knows what he is doing. The UEFA directives are petty criminals in comparison.

He is corrupted but he's also really out of touch, he literally said that if he and other rich teams get more money then they will be saving football. He genuinely believes that he's bigger than the game and that he has this God given right to simply stay at the top and organize everything.

The man spent a lot of money, got bailed out by the Spanish government several times and got a long history of being helped by UEFA and all that still isn't enough, someone like Wenger said more than 10 years ago that these kind of people will want a new league simply because they want to spend more money than what they earn.

His right hand now is Agnelli, the man that was supposed to represent over 200 European clubs but that backstabbed everyone because he's afraid that Juventus might not even qualify for the CL next season and his left hand is Glazer that couldn't even understand the offside rule...

These people are thinking only about themselves and they don't see anything else, this is being deluded because they actually want to get a huge amount of money and to be able to simply come back to their respective leagues, dominate everything and say that it's just the natural order of things, they want their cake and to eat it too. 

13 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I'm not saying we won't play in them, just that we won't take them seriously anymore. Where would they even fit in the schedule with a Super League? The maximum number of Champions League games you can play is 13, and even with that amount, the schedule was very congested, how are they going to fit in another 5 games minimum? For those that reach the final, it will be an extra 10 games.

Good question mate and I don’t know, the communication of it has been shambolic from the start. There’s no clarity on the points you mention and many others. It doesn’t seem like there’s been massive amounts of thought put in to the practicality of it.

• coco changed the title to Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League