Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League

Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

2 hours ago, enigma said:

Shaka Hislop made a good point on ESPN. He said uefa are quick to take action when it comes to money and this super League, but not so quick when it comes to acting on racism in the game. 

::clap2::🇪🇭

Edited by just
Edit
6 hours ago, carrickblue said:

Premier league rule L9. Unless the premier league board gives priority approval, clubs cannot field their senior men's team in any new competition.

That's not going to happen .

Goodbye Premier league - madness . 

A question for you CB  - I don’t have any agenda btw,  just curious is all ?

if the gang of 6 get expelled from the PL do you think the Premier League will survive without them ?

Wouldn’t be sure that the tv revenue monies the PL currently attracts would be anywhere near the same without them ?

I just can’t see Asia, Africa etc being that bothered as much, if at all, to watch Fulham v Burnley ? 

3 minutes ago, Paddy said:

A question for you CB  - I don’t have any agenda btw,  just curious is all ?

if the gang of 6 get expelled from the PL do you think the Premier League will survive without them ?

Wouldn’t be sure that the tv revenue monies the PL currently attracts would be anywhere near the same without them ?

I just can’t see Asia, Africa etc being that bothered as much, if at all, to watch Fulham v Burnley ? 

Paddy. That is a good question but you I think they will find a way, admittedly with a smaller budget. They will have UEFA's support but TV money will drop either way. Even if the gang of 6 stay in the Premier League the TV money will be going towards the shiny new competition leaving the rest scrambling for what is left. You could argue that a Premier League without the gang of 6 is more competitive, since you don't have 6 teams treating it as an opportunity to play their reserves. 

Commented on better by other posters already no doubt (hard to keep track of everything) but the sheer stupidity of this Perez “40% of young people are uninterested in football” comment. 

WTAF?? This is either incredible disingenuousness or Darwin award-level stupidity bordering on football fascism. So 60% ARE interested? That’s a hell of a lot!! And the other 40% - it’s their choice FFS. Leave them be.

Football has the lowest barriers to entry of all the sports in the world. It is the easiest one to set up. The poorest kids in the world can play it. That’s partly why it’s so popular. It doesn’t need “saving”. It will be just fine. 

Now if he made a similar comment about tennis, or formula 1, there may be something in it. But this is fecking ridiculous. We’re not talking about something essential like education, but a game - one, which some people, for various good reasons (that have zero to do with lack of accessibility) elect (wisely, I’d say) to take no interest in.

13 minutes ago, forbzy said:

While that was a great statement I believe Patrick Bamford made the same comments last night after the game and deserves the credit for them.

Didn't know that Forbzy. But whoever made it it is a sharp comment on the priorities of UEFA.

1 minute ago, Dean said:

Commented on better by other posters already no doubt (hard to keep track of everything) but the sheer stupidity of this Perez “40% of young people are uninterested in football” comment. 

WTAF?? This is either incredible disingenuousness or Darwin award-level stupidity bordering on football fascism. So 60% ARE interested? That’s a hell of a lot!! And the other 40% - it’s their choice FFS. Leave them be.

Football has the lowest barriers to entry of all the sports in the world. It is the easiest one to set up. The poorest kids in the world can play it. That’s partly why it’s so popular. It doesn’t need “saving”. It will be just fine. 

Now if he made a similar comment about tennis, or formula 1, there may be something in it. But this is fecking ridiculous. We’re not talking about something essential like education, but a game - one, which some people, for various good reasons (that have zero to do with lack of accessibility) elect (wisely, I’d say) to take no interest in.

He even said that 90 minutes might be too much, it gets too boring for him

so many feelings GIF

14 minutes ago, forbzy said:

Paddy. That is a good question but you I think they will find a way, admittedly with a smaller budget. They will have UEFA's support but TV money will drop either way. Even if the gang of 6 stay in the Premier League the TV money will be going towards the shiny new competition leaving the rest scrambling for what is left. You could argue that a Premier League without the gang of 6 is more competitive, since you don't have 6 teams treating it as an opportunity to play their reserves. 

Forbzy, it’s not so much about how competitive the league will be without the 6, as against how attractive it will be to the global audience  - don’t see the excitement and clambering for a seat around the world for Everton against Palace as I do for the manc derby for example.

I also think that a lot of folk don’t truely understand how UEFA/FIFA/FA/PL etc have pulled down footballs pants over the years and royally shagged the fans - seems to me that they might all be fearing their demise ? 

As they said in peaky blinders, ‘big f**ks small, always’ ? 

Edited by Paddy

4 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Where are you pulling the 200m from? As things stand teams get between 50-70m for CL participation. The Super League will apparently guarantee those 15 clubs 250m. Double the amount of teams to 30 - £125m each team, 30 team competition (current CL has 32 I believe) & you no longer have UEFA involvement. Of course that’s a massive simplification but without knowing the ins and outs of the finances it’s just an example.

UEFA are part of the problem and it’s burying your head in the sand to say otherwise. They started football down this pathway - the CL reforms are a perfect example. They’re expanding it to make themselves more money but the clubs get less - of course they’re pissed off.

UEFA has the number of ucl revenue published, it was 3. something billion and they have the breakdown of the number. I just give you hypothetical number, it is too big imo but even with 200 m more it will add 5 m eaxh team. 

So how do the esl can guarantee that massive extra revenue. Simple, more games. In esl every team will play at least 18 games before the play off. If uefa does this, I am pretty sure you can get more than 3. something billion but that is tons of extra games.

You must think that the people who run this massive clubs are incapable in term of number so that uefa can come out with new format so uefa will get more money and they get very little. 

3 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Forbzy, it’s not so much about how competitive the league will be without the 6, as against how attractive it will be to the global audience  - don’t see the excitement and clambering for a seat around the world for Everton against Palace as I do for the manc derby for example.

I also think that a lot of folk don’t truely understand how UEFA/FIFA/FA/PL etc have pulled down footballs pants over the years and royally shagged the fans - seems to me that they might all be fearing their demise ? 

As they said in peaky blinders, ‘big f**ks small, always’ ? 

It certainly won't be anywhere near the same money being offered today. Most of the money in football will be hoovered up by the breakaway league and siphoned off into the offshore accounts of the rich owners. The same people already did this at the club level but have run out of options with the current system. The Glazers have been taking money from United for years now. They have taken a salary from the club earnings but refused to cover any of the debt. That will continue and most of these 12 clubs will ultimately go bankrupt even if this happens. Both our club and City were different in that regard and didn't need the new league. We should never have followed them

2 minutes ago, forbzy said:

It certainly won't be anywhere near the same money being offered today. Most of the money in football will be hoovered up by the breakaway league and siphoned off into the offshore accounts of the rich owners. The same people already did this at the club level but have run out of options with the current system. The Glazers have been taking money from United for years now. They have taken a salary from the club earnings but refused to cover any of the debt. That will continue and most of these 12 clubs will ultimately go bankrupt even if this happens. Both our club and City were different in that regard and didn't need the new league. We should never have followed them

There in lies the rub, without the revenue the PL can’t offer financially what it does now and so thereby it diminishes the ‘quality’ of the league which in turn reduces its global appeal, which in turn reduces the amount of overseas players , which reduces the prospective foreign investors , which in turn returns the game back to the 1970’s ..........hang on, you might be on to something here !!!!!

2 hours ago, JM7 said:

I think a European super league does have legs and could be quite exciting. People say it’s the “same teams every year” but we watch the Premier League which has the same teams every year (bar promoted teams). Would you watch Man City v Burnley? I wouldn’t but I would watch Man City v PSG. 

That said, I don’t like the lack of jeopardy in and I don’t like the impact on other league teams. As a midweek competition, I think it would largely work. 

The idea of a super league has legs I think, the problem is that there is suppose to be 15 members who are just automatically in it without proving anything on the pitch.  That these 15 members are the best because they say they are the best.  

It could be a whole new league in which there is a playoff between the top teams of each the domestic leagues to be promoted into and the bottom teams of the ESL get relegated out of and it would be fine.

It could be a Champion's league 2.0 in which you have to qualify every year to be in and again it would be fine.

This idea is essentially claiming you are better because you say you are even though some of the teams that are already signed on objectively are not better.   I mean look at the table and West Ham and Leicester City are both above Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, and Tottenham.  And Arsenal is also behind Everton and are sitting in 9th place and are only ahead of Leeds on the basis of goal differential.  

I mean you are looking at it being within the realm of possibility that 4 of your 6 ESL members don't even make the top 4 of the EPL.  

My thoughts on the ESL yes turning its back on grassroots football yet could it work?

If Perez is right about boring matches then what is different about about the ESL, CFC will likely still play defensive football against Barca or City.

There is no wow factor to sell except extra money.

Now if there is a plan to pull in Boca Juniors or Brazil and Mexico's best teams then I could see the Wow factor, nothing like that has been mentioned to date.

I cannot see the ESL existing along with the Premier League just too much fixture congestion, Cups possibly if the goodwill is there.

3 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

My thoughts on the ESL yes turning its back on grassroots football yet could it work?

If Perez is right about boring matches then what is different about about the ESL, CFC will likely still play defensive football against Barca or City.

There is no wow factor to sell except extra money.

Now if there is a plan to pull in Boca Juniors or Brazil and Mexico's best teams then I could see the Wow factor, nothing like that has been mentioned to date.

I cannot see the ESL existing along with the Premier League just too much fixture congestion, Cups possibly if the goodwill is there.

The problem with going to clubs like boca jr is the safety of the players. Southa american team bosses are often targeted by criminals and held up at gun point, imagine these guys eyes light up at the thought of Barca players and chelsea players and the likes of Ronaldo wearing diamond earrings and rolexs and stuff

8 minutes ago, forbzy said:

The one thing I can say about RA without ever having met him is, I believe him to be a genuine football fan, so his reasons for buying the club are entirely differing to those of the glazers , FSG etc but as much as they are parasites, leeching and feeding off of the carcasses of the clubs that they legitimately own, purely for profit, I can’t get as upset about their antics when uefa and fifa have been shagging European and world football for as long as they existed and have been so unfair and spiteful of their treatment of England as a nation and English football teams.

If ‘this’, whatever ‘this’ may turn out to be , sorts out those bottom feeder, scum bags at EUFA/FIFA , then some good will have come of it all . 

5 minutes ago, Valpo said:

The idea of a super league has legs I think, the problem is that there is suppose to be 15 members who are just automatically in it without proving anything on the pitch.  That these 15 members are the best because they say they are the best.  

It could be a whole new league in which there is a playoff between the top teams of each the domestic leagues to be promoted into and the bottom teams of the ESL get relegated out of and it would be fine.

It could be a Champion's league 2.0 in which you have to qualify every year to be in and again it would be fine.

This idea is essentially claiming you are better because you say you are even though some of the teams that are already signed on objectively are not better.   I mean look at the table and West Ham and Leicester City are both above Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, and Tottenham.  And Arsenal is also behind Everton and are sitting in 9th place and are only ahead of Leeds on the basis of goal differential.  

I mean you are looking at it being within the realm of possibility that 4 of your 6 ESL members don't even make the top 4 of the EPL.  

If this was done right, and based on qualification you would probably have 2-3 teams qualifying from the top leagues (England, Spain, Germany, Italy) and then winners from other leagues to make up the 20. If this was done by qualification it would be interesting, but it would also be unsustainable since there is no way a team could compete in such a big midweek league and still have the resources to qualify every year from their domestic tournaments. The gang of 12 know this and want to ensure they get to sit at the top table every year without qualifying. It should be categorized more accurately as an invitational competition because that is what it really is. By invite only.

1 hour ago, Sindre said:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2112093

Weaker statement than I expected from the EPL.

Is what they can do now. All other 14 clubs gained the needed 14 votes to basically say not exemption will be made to PL ruoes, so the defector 6 wont be allowed to play in the super league. If they do so anyway then they would be breaking PL rules without permission of the league and therefore would face league sanctions, possibly being thrown out of the league.

What more can they do. They have basically said what you are doing is not on and if you go ahead with it you will face stuff penalties and possibly be thrown out of the league.

Wish I could be at the bridge today to voice my concerns with a lot of other supporters. There were protests outside of Fenway Park last night in Boston, so hopefully Roman starts listening to supporters ALL OVER THE WORLD. Because it's not just English supporters, or supporters of smaller clubs, it's damn near every single supporter out there. 

I know they don't truly care about us, only the money we spend, but this loud unified voice has to be heard, surely! Right? Please someone make me believe that we can turn this around...

2 minutes ago, forbzy said:

If this was done right, and based on qualification you would probably have 2-3 teams qualifying from the top leagues (England, Spain, Germany, Italy) and then winners from other leagues to make up the 20. If this was done by qualification it would be interesting, but it would also be unsustainable since there is no way a team could compete in such a big midweek league and still have the resources to qualify every year from their domestic tournaments. The gang of 12 know this and want to ensure they get to sit at the top table every year without qualifying. It should be categorized more accurately as an invitational competition because that is what it really is. By invite only.

And I think that is going to be the issue . . . they are going to find out very quickly that no one is going to accept their invitation.  Plus PSG and Bayern Munich have had the chance to read the winds and they are going to be saying "Non" and "Nein" respectively.

Honestly reading the winds is what Chelsea should have done.  The ESL left spots open for PSG and Bayern to join up because they know they need them.  PSG and Bayern were smart and sort of said "no" for now and sat back and saw how well this is going to go over.  Now they know they are on the winning side and will stay there.  Chelsea honestly could have done the same things, it's a big enough club that the ESL group would have left them a spot open.  

Honestly I think it would be cool if there was a league that the EPL, Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1, and Laliga promoted into.  I think a league with the top teams all of Europe's best clubs would be more interesting and more on par than some of the domestic leagues out there.  But it's not in keeping with the tradition of the sport in Europe to have a permanent seat.  

11 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

Am I the only one that thinks the football played in an ESL might be absolutely dire ?

The games between the top clubs are usually pretty cagey affairs ... lacking in goals and excitement.

Leave them to it I say ...

ESL is nothing more than American crap. I'm tired of this American style and fashion in every aspect of life-sports, music, politics, thinking and in society and to be pushed in people heads by force

• coco changed the title to Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League
  • Mod Stark unpinned this topic