Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League

Sindre

Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

4 hours ago, Paddy said:

A question for you CB  - I don’t have any agenda btw,  just curious is all ?

if the gang of 6 get expelled from the PL do you think the Premier League will survive without them ?

Wouldn’t be sure that the tv revenue monies the PL currently attracts would be anywhere near the same without them ?

I just can’t see Asia, Africa etc being that bothered as much, if at all, to watch Fulham v Burnley ? 

this is true - it's brinkmanship now isn't it. but today's statement from the PL doesn't look like one they could easily roll back from - they could kick the 6 out into no man's land and see what happens.  main problem I see for the breakaway clubs is how do they attract another 8 clubs when the football world is dead against this plan.

2 hours ago, Valpo said:

And there are protests against this in THE UNITED STATES

The team's own coaches are speaking out against it.  I saw a rumor that the captains of the big 6 clubs where going to have a meeting on what they can do.  

This idea has failed.   

Those who invested in this new league aught to be concerned about going much further.  Otherwise you will have a league and no fans to watch it.  

They clearly didn’t do enough market research before thinking of the league. The whole reason there has been a whole new wave of interest in football in America is because it is run different than American franchise sports. American football fans tune into European football as much or even more so than the MLS.

2 minutes ago, Shug said:

So us and Citeh out, both Champions League Semi finalists this year.

Not looking good when Spuds and Le Arse are the ESL attraction, with their great record in Europe 

Also Atletico Madrid as per reputable resources, nothing official yet though

10 minutes ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

They clearly didn’t do enough market research before thinking of the league. The whole reason there has been a whole new wave of interest in football in America is because it is run different than American franchise sports. American football fans tune into European football as much or even more so than the MLS.

I wouldn't say that's the whole reason.  The main reason I prefer this over the MLS is because I know this is where the best players are at.  

In terms of the way leagues are run I think there are advantages and disadvantages to both.  I like that European sports don't have tanking and that even the last game of the season is meaningful to most teams.  At the same time I quite frankly don't like the lack of parity.  Manchester U pays their goalkeeper 19.5 million a year.  Sheffield United pays their entire team 19.7 million a year.  That lack of parity just doesn't exist here in professional sports.

In a sense I like the general idea of a super league in that it would bring more parity to the sport but the way they went about it was all wrong.  It isn't immediately obvious who the best teams are in European football.  You have to prove you belong there and their plan was to just declare themselves the best without having proven it.  

Edited by Valpo

3 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

The fans in front of the Brigde have won, Peter the Great said we are for the people! Proud moment as a CFC fan.

wish i could react to all the posts multiple times at the mo.....6 little heart icons for you sir

2 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Now we need to use this for good, and use this passion to take the guns aimed at the clubs and point them straight at UEFA and their money grab for the CL reforms.

That would be ideal, if this energy from the fans turned now onto reforming UEFA and getting rid of the snakes in there. Tough task but if the clubs wanted, they’d have the fans behind them.

• coco changed the title to Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League
  • Mod Stark unpinned this topic