Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League

Sindre

Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

52 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Apparently we would get 350 million euros just for signing up. That's before all the other revenue streams.

Clubs including ours don't give a sh*t about you or me. The support means nothing when money is at stake. 

Sadly tradition, passion and history are being sold to the highest bidder. 

Football as we know it could be finished. 

2 hours ago, Malta Blue said:

The local team where you grew up or where you live currently. Or for you would this be the same thing?

Where I grew up it would be southampton.

Where I live at the moment it would be Zabbar St Patrick FC they are in the 3rd tier of the maltese football pyramid

I'd have to pick Zabbar despite the fact that they where yellow and black instead of the logical green would associate with St. Patrick

Yeah same thing, I live in Peterborough and pre-covid I used to go to every home game and a fair few away games with my mates over the past couple of years. Looking like they’re getting promoted to the championship this year so next year should be fun assuming we’re allowed back in the stadiums.

I’m not a fan of this idea but I have to make a few points that seem to be getting missed online and it’s really annoying. 

- People keep harping on about the “big teams” only doing what is best of them - that is exactly what FIFA, UEFA, the FA etc are doing. They know without those clubs their gravy train grinds to a halt and the money follows them. They’re sh*t scared of that and that’s why they’re panicking. Nothing to do with “heritage” or anything like that. 

- Of course Bayern and Dortmund said no, they’re majority shareholders are the fans - personally don’t think Bayern would leave anyway, they have a monopoly on that league and everyone else is effectively their feeder clubs.

- PSG, again - they have a monopoly on their league and their owners is a UEFA board member (how TF that is allowed is another matter entirely)

- UEFA & FIFA are corrupt organisations which have been investigated extensively, why people seem to be treating them as the epitome of the right thing is laughable.

- Sky & BT going on about how damaging it is and how it will be a disgrace, people should abandon their clubs etc etc. - as if they won’t follow that league and drop the PL rights like a stone if the big six left. Don’t get me started on the integrity argument and being for the people - they were charging folk £15 in the height of the pandemic for one game of football f**ksake.

- If it causes the rest of the leagues and teams to collapse then the set up is all wrong in the first place. It should never come to that. 

- Football clubs are businesses at the end of the day. Businesses are there to make money for shareholders and generate more and more profit. Everyone involved in this is looking out for their own best interests and to pretend otherwise is delusional IMO. 

Having said all of that, I don’t want it to happen and I don’t think it will - it’s a power play by the big clubs to get reform which benefits them. I think they’ll get this and it will fade away in to a memory.

Edited by EdinburghBlue

6 hours ago, Sindre said:

Can't say I disagree with Neville.

But the thing is if you are one of the very few superteams that take the high ground here and refuse you would likely fall far behind the others quickly purely because of the economic aspect. 

Am i the only one struggling with the irony of him ranting about tradition and respecting fans during a shift for sky sports?

9 hours ago, nonotnowjim said:

I said nothing about wanting it to be Barca Vs Real 30 times a year. Out of interest, what did I say that makes you think I sound like a 12 year old?

Rather than insult, then why not argue and debate my points - For what its worth, I stand by my comment on earnings. I can think of no other industry, where successful companies would be forced to share a % of revenue with lower, less successful competitors. It is wrong in principle. Why should a club like Leyton Orient (for example), earn money off the name of Man City (for example)?

If the system wasn't broken, then clubs would not be seeking ways to fix it.

Smaller or less currently successful clubs are absolutely entitled to a share of money from the bigger, currently successful clubs! How on Earth can any fan not new to the game not understand why? These clubs are part of the pyramid, and without them? The game collapses! That money keeps many of them afloat! It makes up for the lopsided fan base income due to glory hunting, it compensates for the development of players they do before clubs like ours come along and steal them for pennies! It gives those clubs the small glimmer of hope that they could grow and maybe hit the big time someday, even if just for a season or two! It gives the game one of the last vestiges of competativeness that hides the monopoly that it has long ago turned into!

The true irony of your post is that what you want and what this ridiculous idea proposes, is in fact, wrong in principle! Football is (or should be) a sport first and foremost, any business aspect should be firmly secondary and exist purely to support the game and jobs connected to it, not as a means to rinse lifelong fans and to line the pockets of greedy billionaires! This is purely about greed, not fixing a broken system or giving people what they deserve. Greed, pure and simple.

The Financial Entity currently known as Chelsea Football Club should be forced to change it’s name. Chelsea FC, founded in 1905 in the Rising Sun no longer exists.

R.I.P. Chelsea FC

8 minutes ago, Deino said:

It's official now. Time to see what the footballing bodies will say

The footballing bodies have already indicated their stance as they knew this was coming. Basically any team in this competition will not be allowed to participate in the Premier League. Obviously Champions League too as it would clash with the new league. The only question now is whether the clubs are given a chance to rethink. The Premier League needs to plan for the new future so they would be able to enforce the ban starting as soon as they want in theory. I suspect we will not be in the Premier League next season if we choose to keep this plan.

10 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I’m not a fan of this idea but I have to make a few points that seem to be getting missed online and it’s really annoying. 

- People keep harping on about the “big teams” only doing what is best of them - that is exactly what FIFA, UEFA, the FA etc are doing. They know without those clubs their gravy train grinds to a halt and the money follows them. They’re sh*t scared of that and that’s why they’re panicking. Nothing to do with “heritage” or anything like that. 

Yep. The formation of sky/PL, UCL, FFP to protect the elite teams etc. Football's never been a clean sport, for example a century ago Arsenal "won" a promotion when they failed to finish in the promotion places, i wonder how that happened. 

Football's not the place to look for moral fibre, never has been never will be.

2 minutes ago, forbzy said:

The footballing bodies have already indicated their stance as they knew this was coming. Basically any team in this competition will not be allowed to participate in the Premier League. Obviously Champions League too as it would clash with the new league. The only question now is whether the clubs are given a chance to rethink. The Premier League needs to plan for the new future so they would be able to enforce the ban starting as soon as they want in theory. I suspect we will not be in the Premier League next season if we choose to keep this plan.

If they're about to kick us out anyway, they could even sanction us now.

Just now, Kentonio said:

If they're about to kick us out anyway, they could even sanction us now.

The Premier League should start right now. No relegation this season but just promote 6 new teams.

3 minutes ago, forbzy said:

That's what I meant. The time for posturing is out now. It's in the hands of the FA at this point.

3 minutes ago, TomCFC85 said:

Absolute scum.

Looks like PSG and Leicester are winning the Champions League and FA Cup then as we could genuinely be kicked out of both.

PSG will be in the super league if it goes through, sensibly keeping their cards close to their chest at the moment.

The PL can’t afford to kick those clubs out. It would bankrupt the entire English league system - won’t happen. UEFA could kick us all out and ban us though although it would be signing their own death certificate for the CL. I still think there will be discussions and a deal will be made. 

1 minute ago, EdinburghBlue said:

The PL can’t afford to kick those clubs out. It would bankrupt the entire English league system - won’t happen. UEFA could kick us all out and ban us though although it would be signing their own death certificate for the CL. I still think there will be discussions and a deal will be made. 

It seems to be the case

• coco changed the title to Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League
  • coco pinned this topic
  • Mod Stark unpinned this topic