Would you consider yourself primarily a Chelsea fan or a football fan?

Fucking parasites  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Would you consider yourself primarily a Chelsea fan or a football fan?

• Chelsea fan
    • Football fan

52 minutes ago, sonic90 said:

Not enough context here, I'm sure 90% of people who watch football support a team. Not many people watch football as a pure neutral.

Just caught up on the Super League news so nvm. Can't seem to edit this comment as well.

Would have said both equally up until around late teens, back then I literally would have watched any match I could get my hands on.

Now I only really bother with Chelsea games and games featuring players I want us to sign, although I had a brief resurgence of the teenage passion once football returned after lockdown but the novelty quickly wore off.

Edited by Argo

Gotta out myself: football fan. Always were and always will be. Corona crisis just reassured me: I don't think that much about this or that game I watched in the telly or want to watch in the telly* (all the Chelsea games for example) but what I personally want to do in my 5-a-side..

Think it comes because I first started to love playing at school and only through that got introduced into following pro-football and not vice versa.

Although I'm from WestBerlin hence having Hertha as my "weak spot" (quite literally) I always liked Chelsea since I ever saw Zola and Vialli play there - and doubled down on it in the Drogba/Chech/etc.pp era especially after ruining Bayern Münchens day in the CL Finale! 😄 And now with my fav coach there I just had to jump in..

*never been a stadium guy for higher leagues either, too many dumb drunks and the view isn't all that great tbh (although Herthas stadium is the worst regarding that). Lower leagues I can imagine, like where you stand next to the sidelines with a beer and have to jump back if they tackle next to you - but unfortunately I ain't got time for that anymore.

Edited by weetee

Hardly watch any football unless its Chelsea....and mens Chelsea at that. I watch zero womens football, and only a little of the Chelsea youth teams. Took my boy to Stamford bridge a couple of years back to watch chelsea lads vs Man utd boys. Wasnt much fun.

Sounded like a daft question but on second thought 

Chelsea all the way (and England) as in I drop everything if they are playing  and genuinely the results effects my day/week. One of the biggest renches of my life was giving up my season ticket about 9 years ago 🙁

I follow Rangers and Inter as in I watch as much as I can and the result kind of effects my day 

I am a season ticket holder at Bristol City simply because it is a few miles from where I currently live 

Coach an under 10’s team and currently thinking about taking my UEFA coaching badges 

So maybe I am leaning a bit toward football first, but hand in heart I could do without the rest, I would struggle with Chelsea 

As a Yank, I can potentially get away with this...

I'm a football fan. I love watching good matches. Having an affinity for a club is certainly helpful. I have no personal connection to Chelsea however. 10 or 11 years ago, I turned on the telly, some guy named Drogba scored a rocket, and I've been a fan ever since. I was a fan of the England national team before, as my mum and her family are British, but couldn't name half a dozen players. 

I do love learning about the history of various clubs, and consequently enjoy seeing several different clubs succeed. 

The threat of a super league SICKENS me. I can't quite articulate all of my feelings on it, but it highlights so much of what is wrong with the world, today. 

Edited by ross91690

I voted football fan, I watched and played football even before I had heard of Chelsea (or Utd)

Chelsea is the team I chose to follow to experience it.

If CFC are no longer in a UK league and the FA Cup will be very disappointed.

18 minutes ago, sonic90 said:

Somebody needs to form a West London Blues FC or whatever it's called in PES, 20 years later we'll be back in the PL.

No we don’t. Chelsea Pitch Owners own the right to ‘Chelsea Football Club’. Let the new league can have the west London c**ts :wink:

8 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

No we don’t. Chelsea Pitch Owners own the right to ‘Chelsea Football Club’. Let the new league can have the west London c**ts :wink:

So they can revoke the naming rights if they don't like the club being in the Super league?

I only watch Chelsea, Hibs & a handful of big games/games that impact us. 

My best mate is the opposite - has a soft spot for us, Villa & Hearts (unfortunately) but just watches any and all football. Always wondered how he does it, I lose interest if I’m not invested in it. 

3 hours ago, Munkworth said:

3 hours ago, sonic90 said:

So they can revoke the naming rights if they don't like the club being in the Super league?

Not only that, CPO owns the lease to Stanford bridge and leases it to Chelsea FC group. 

If they insist on going through with this disrespectful idea I hope CPO kicks them out the Bridge and takes away the name.

Empty stadiums and VAR have made football unwatchable apart from Chelsea I haven't watched MOTD for years. Different when I was a kid where there were only a handful of live games a season and the cup final was an event. Can't see myself ever stepping back into the Bridge again however if this super league bollocks happens.

20 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I don't think I could follow football so passionately as a neutral. I think I would get bored and eventually lose interest.

I was a fan of football before I was a Chelsea fan. I became a Chelsea fan because of football, not the other way around. I watch a TON of matches, not necessarily because I'm a neutral, but because of how I can relate it to Chelsea. For me the question is really... would you, could you pick another team to support, even if not as passionately as Chelsea, or would you walk away from the game if there was no Chelsea...

for me that's easy... I'm a fan of football.. I played, my son has played, I have season tickets to my local clubs, I kind of adopt teams in other leagues based on their ties with Chelsea (or Americans)... I watch pretty much all of Inter's matches this season. I don't think I could ever love another team the way I love watching Chelsea now...

That said, one of the things I love about the game is the constant risk and reward. Promotion / Relegation, qualifying for Tournaments... if that goes away, my overall interest in International football will take a big hit as well. I watched two 10U softball games and 10 11U baseball games over the weekend... I can find other ways to spend my time...

If we're vehemently against the Super League, we can control its success or failure as consumers. These big clubs are taking our loyalty for granted... and frankly the Super League sounds like a gussied up International Champions Cup to me....

Chelsea fan first and foremost.  Only follow cause my mom and her side of the family lived in Chelsea/Battersea for generations, and everyone but my granddad was a Chelsea fan (Fulham fan but for a funny story).  

Would support this club and find a way to watch even if it fell to the lower divisions again.....people forget historically CFC has had best attendance numbers in England when not even being in the first flight..... but would I support in this new format?

I don't know.  It might be named Chelsea, but it certainly wouldnt be the Chelsea that I followed because generations of my family have. It would be a new entity.  The relegation system has a certain magic in it you just don't get in other sports, and this super league wont have it either.

I think I would watch Chelsea in the super league, but not pay to do so.   Im not sure if I would buy merchandize anymore.  

I also think the powers to be pushing this don't realize how quickly their league matches could become as any current domestic league.  The magic of playing the non-English clubs in this proposal are that we don't face them multiple times a season every season.....that the way to playing them has to be earned.  That elimination from the competition often rides on the result. Playing any of these teams twice a season with nothing on the line except for when you're going for the title... great way to lose that magic asap.

"OMG are you going to watch that game versus Juventus where regardless of the result we both finish midtable?"

"Huge night tonight....we either win against Real Madrid and stay 3 points off the bottom 3, or lose and go into the non-relegation zone where we will simply sit until next season with no urgency or consequences"

Seriously...what's going to make it so that in 5 years a game of the top teams in the super league against the bottom ones isnt on the same level now as us/MCFC/MUFC facing Brighton or team in the bottom half but safe from relegation?

Now that I think of it.......changing from an exciting league where the top gets rewarded, and bottom punished.  Where there are usually at least 4 titles/cups to play for with most in knockout competition........for a chance to play in 1 league with only 1 thing to play for and no risk of relegation.

Maybe my grandad was just way ahead of this time.