Chelsea v Real Madrid (CL Semi-Final 2nd leg) Wed 5th May 2021 20:00 GMT

I know people don’t always really read posts properly, but I would just like to reiterate that I said that it did not mean I want us to lose tonight’s game. I was getting at the psychological side of dealing with defeat. I would find it easier to come to terms with losing to Madrid now than City in a final. I guess it’s largely about the amount of unavoidable coverage that would ensue and for me as a resident of Greater Manchester, the awfulness of dealing with dozens of unbelievably smug City fans that have acquired this amazingly condescending attitude to followers of other teams.

Anyway, whether you’re 100% certain we beat Madrid and City 6-0 or whether you fear we’ll come up short, I am certain of one thing: what we think and post on an Internet forum will have no bearing on the events taking place on the park in a empty football stadium.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Snedger said:

I know people don’t always really read posts properly, but I would just like to reiterate that I said that it did not mean I want us to lose tonight’s game. I was getting at the psychological side of dealing with defeat. I would find it easier to come to terms with losing to Madrid now than City in a final. I guess it’s largely about the amount of unavoidable coverage that would ensue and for me as a resident of Greater Manchester, the awfulness of dealing with dozens of unbelievably smug City fans that have acquired this amazingly condescending attitude to followers of other teams.

Anyway, whether you’re 100% certain we beat Madrid and City 6-0 or whether you fear we’ll come up short, I am certain of one thing: what we think and post on an Internet forum will have no bearing on the events taking place on the park in a empty football stadium.

I know what you mean.

I remember when we faced Barcelona in 2012 and Ramires had just scored before half-time. We were through as it stood but we were playing with 10 men, Bosingwa at CB, Barcelona had prime Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and the likes.

So surely it was just a matter of time before Barcelona would score at least once or twice and a part of me was hoping the goals would come early in the second half instead of the inevitable happening later in the half when the hope had grown stronger.

But football is a funny old game...

Edited by Sindre

Match day,here we go,I would have hoped we would of put the game to bed in the first game,but we didn't and like some others I worry about facing and losing to man sh*tty in the final.To be honest I'm surprised we got this far without a striker.

FB_IMG_1620198751341.jpg

Posted (edited)

I think Rudiger is back tonight, so to have him at the back will be a boost, he's been immense under TT.

Now what front three does TT play? Might be unpopular but I'd like to see Havertz play over Pulisic.

Edited by Malcolm9

54 minutes ago, Bluesince66 said:

Match day,here we go,I would have hoped we would of put the game to bed in the first game,but we didn't and like some others I worry about facing and losing to man sh*tty in the final.To be honest I'm surprised we got this far without a striker.

FB_IMG_1620198751341.jpg

Mancity got to the final and are about to win the league without a STRIKER.. Just saying.lol

3 minutes ago, Valerie said:

If Rüdiger plays, he'll be wearing a protective face mask. Not the Covid kind, but one in the proud tradition of umpteen Chelsea players :biggrin:

0371bbf9413a61753ea253de3086d5cd.jpg.71d72771a9736098fc947aec3dac1b9d.jpg

That is an actual 11 you can field, got a GK, 2 CBs, 2 fullbacks, 3 CMs and 3 strikers for the attack

4 minutes ago, sonic90 said:

That is an actual 11 you can field, got a GK, 2 CBs, 2 fullbacks, 3 CMs and 3 strikers for the attack

Would you play Dave or Paulo at left back though? Two of the most reliable fullbacks on either side is the history of the club!

In fact what a back 4 & keeper - we’d be odds on for a clean sheet with that lot!

3 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Would you play Dave or Paulo at left back though? Two of the most reliable fullbacks on either side is the history of the club!

In fact what a back 4 & keeper - we’d be odds on for a clean sheet with that lot!

Any manager worth their salt would flip a coin to decide on that. Imagine 11 of these masked men in the pink kit, that's more than enough to put the opposition off.

Very strange that to win the Champions' League this season, we will need to beat the two sides we beat from the semi-finals onwards in the 1971 Cup Winner's Cup. Stranger still considering we haven't faced either of them in European competition since that year. I hope that has been factored into our fate/jinx calculations. 

Either way I am f**king bricking it. 

3 hours ago, SFL82 said:

That’s alright then I thought you were going to say someone who had a clue about football said it.  

Bookies have us as favourites btw. 

I don't take those comments seriously either, but the point they were making is that Chelsea had a chance to destroy Real in Madrid which we didn't and they feel that Madrid would come back stronger and with their experience they would have an edge.  The bottom line is that no one knows how this game turns out so we have every chance to pull it through.

11 hours ago, LongtimerLurker said:

Based off what I said in the kova thread here's my predicted 11

Mason on the bench to cover Jorgeeh or Kante, also to give him a rest since he took a knock and played back to back 90 mins. Without Kova in the squad I think we need another cm on the bench other than Billy.

Mendy

Andreas, Silva, Rudi

Azpil, Jorginho, Kante, Ben

Pulisic, Havertz, Timo

I think we go with the false 9 no striker for the cbs to mark. I think Werner keeps their defense on their toes with Pulisic and Kai making ghost runs throughout the game. James has the potential to start at wb and Azpik drops to rcb.

What!!!  

Rest him!!! Rest him, f**king rest him !!! It’s a CL semi final ffs, you are away with the fairies mate. Do you want to beat this shower tonight ? 

How can you possibly contemplate not playing Mount ?

Mason playing in the defensive midfield position is ridiculous, he’s not a replacement or cover for that position, I don’t say he couldn’t do a job, but all his creativity is lost - every time he’s played that role we’ve been flat because we lose his artistry and inspiration - it’s not his position.

Almost everything that is good about us going forwards involves Mason - the only debate is Dave or Reece and who plays with MM - Werner/Havertz or Werner/Pulisic.

He has to start, period, the end.

2 hours ago, sonic90 said:

Any manager worth their salt would flip a coin to decide on that. Imagine 11 of these masked men in the pink kit, that's more than enough to put the opposition off.

I’m pretty sure we could have Pedro on the bench too :laugh2:

49 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

Very strange that to win the Champions' League this season, we will need to beat the two sides we beat from the semi-finals onwards in the 1971 Cup Winner's Cup. Stranger still considering we haven't faced either of them in European competition since that year. I hope that has been factored into our fate/jinx calculations. 

Either way I am f**king bricking it. 

I'm sure we have previously won a big trophy 50 years after winning something big. Anyone remember anything like that? 

Could be wrong, though, as the BBC always makes a documentary when a team wins something after a huge gap of about 30 years, and I can't recall them doing that about us.