Chelsea v Real Madrid (CL Semi-Final 2nd leg) Wed 5th May 2021 20:00 GMT

2 hours ago, The Don Antonio said:

Once again against Osasuna ,  Real Madrids attack is held and the score by a corner.  I swear they are the Spanish Burnley.lol. I really hope James plays over Azpi even though i know Tuchel wont do that

Ramos adds to Benzema as major threats from set pieces.

We will need to be clinical, which is hard for us, and we will need to stop Ramos, Vincius and possibly Hazard dictating the play, which will be very hard, and then allow Benzema not even the faintest quarter chance, which is near impossible.

Basically we need Jorgi to step up as he did against Porto and Kante to have the game of his life, and our forwards to take every decent chance we get.

I would rather have Ramos playing over Nacho, Varane or Militao, Varane is one of the best defenders in Europe and the other 2 have been superb of late. I personally think it’s a big risk playing Ramos who can’t be match fit, defiantly not near his best and that’s without the antics. I personally think Mendy is a big miss for Real more than Ramos as Marcelo just doesn’t have the legs anymore but Nacho can cover left back.

Also just read Carvajal could be out and without Lucas aswell who has been playing well at right back I wouldn’t be suprised to see Real play 3 at the back again as Marcelo and Odriozola are so weak defensively.

Given UEFA and their track record I believe us playing on Wednesday could really place us at a disadvantage.

Best hope PSG show up and turn their tie  around as I do not believe UEFA will want an an all English CL final. 

Only change I would make is to put James in in place one of the central defender, probably Christensen ( tough call ), but likely Tuchel will play the same team as last week. At this stage, I'd still think we are slight underdogs. They have more semi final experience than us, have their fair share of game winners on and off the bench, and we don't have a reliable striker to put the chances away.

7 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

I didn't realise la liga had 5 subs allowed as opposed to the 3 the PL operate with. 

the only league who gives a flying f**k and is decided by over voting of the 'minors' is PL. all others have 5 subs.

Big question if we should play with Werner?

His speed is something that can hurt Real Madrid, his movement forward and he can actually create chances by good pass/through ball. Biggest problem is he can't finish the chances so far, he could be the player that will win the game for us but he missed a sitter. 

Havertz is looking better as a player, seems like he finds the net more and more. Abraham is not an option for Tuchel, Giroud seems lost as well. 

Our lineup against Real Madrid was good, we had good moments but I afraid that we will pay for the misses if we won't score in the 2nd leg. 

45 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

I would play Werner due to his work rate and ability to get behind the Madrid defence and then create an assist.

My thoughts exactly, additionally I would consider playing Havertz instead of Pulisic  - the combination of Mount, Werner and Havertz works well I feel - certainly did yesterday.

Assuming Kova isn’t available, the only other change up for debate, for me, is James for Dave, but maybe Dave has 50 or so minutes and gets told to leave nothing in the locker ?

What ever team TT picks, if we apply ourselves properly, I believe we are too good for RM.

12 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

I didn't realise la liga had 5 subs allowed as opposed to the 3 the PL operate with. 

La Liga doesn't have the Brexit managers with a raging inferiority complex.

1 hour ago, Argo said:

La Liga doesn't have the Brexit managers with a raging inferiority complex.

The other side of that coin is that La Liga was pretty fine with Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid joining the Super League, they have Real and Barcelona as some of the biggest clubs in the world for so long that everything is acceptable and natural, even an artificial way to keep those teams at the top so of course they will accept the 5 subs which mostly benefits those biggest teams as their bench is much stronger in comparison to the rest.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

The other side of that coin is that La Liga was pretty fine with Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid joining the Super League, they have Real and Barcelona as some of the biggest clubs in the world for so long that everything is acceptable and natural, even an artificial way to keep those teams at the top so of course they will accept the 5 subs which mostly benefits those biggest teams as their bench is much stronger in comparison to the rest.

I disagree.

The squads on midtable to bottom of the table teams are largely full of average players which means switching them about doesn't actually reduce the quality that much if atall. Arsenal are playing a near fully rotated team at Newcastle right now and there's not that much difference to their "best" team, whereas the likes of us, United and Liverpool are significantly weaker with a rotated team.

Edited by Argo
2 hours ago, Paddy said:

My thoughts exactly, additionally I would consider playing Havertz instead of Pulisic  - the combination of Mount, Werner and Havertz works well I feel - certainly did yesterday.

Assuming Kova isn’t available, the only other change up for debate, for me, is James for Dave, but maybe Dave has 50 or so minutes and gets told to leave nothing in the locker ?

What ever team TT picks, if we apply ourselves properly, I believe we are too good for RM.

Would be a mistake IMO benching Pulisic for Havertz. Why bench a guy that we know can torch Madrid (did it last week) based on hopes that Havertz can replicate what he did against Fulham. I would go with exact same team as last week, but maybe swap Reece and Azpi. 

3 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Chelsea Women have made it to the CL final, where they will play Barca.

Is it likely both the men and womens teams make a CL final in the same season or is it more likely UEFA get 2 England vs spain CL finals?

How about the 3rd option. Chelsea win both the men and Women UCL Final.. lol

46 minutes ago, Argo said:

I disagree.

The squads on midtable to bottom of the table teams are largely full of average players which means switching them about doesn't actually reduce the quality that much if atall. Arsenal are playing a near fully rotated team at Newcastle right now and there's not that much difference to their "best" team, whereas the likes of us, United and Liverpool are significantly weaker with a rotated team.

True. I was thinking that a mid table team doesn't have much quality options on the bench like we, Man City or Real Madrid, that it would be an advantage for more expensive squads to use 5 subs.

3 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

I like your optimism Don I just dont share it. I have not forgotten how crooked UEFA are in and around the super league guff.

Very true but i guess we are the less of 2 evils when compared to Real Madrid on the Super League stuff

Just now, The Don Antonio said:

Very true but i guess we are the less of 2 evils when compared to Real Madrid on the Super League stuff

In that yes, in that uefa have shown they never have liked us then no lol.

Who is tw*t in black going to be who allows Real to get away with multiple cynical fouls and gives them everything going to be this time?

May as well just make it obvious and announce Obrevo or Anthony Taylor.

7 hours ago, ChitownBlue said:

Would be a mistake IMO benching Pulisic for Havertz. Why bench a guy that we know can torch Madrid (did it last week) based on hopes that Havertz can replicate what he did against Fulham. I would go with exact same team as last week, but maybe swap Reece and Azpi. 

Unpredictability and the element of surprise perhaps ? 

If TT sticks with the same 11 to start at The Bridge that began in Madrid , I wouldn’t complain, but you don’t know that Pulisic will replicate his Madrid performance any less or more than Havertz’s can replicate his of yesterday - a scenario where both play their best games is perfectly reasonable, as is neither , as is either one or the other !!! your argument is a moot point because it’s entirely hypothetical, although I do accept it is your opinion.

I don’t say that I wouldn’t want Pulisic starting or that it would be a disaster if he did - I said it was a consideration to play Havertz in that central striker position and move Werner outside of him and if that were TT’s selection, I wouldn’t disapprove.

Aside from potentially surprising ZZ with Havertz’s selection and therefore disrupting the Barcelona game plan, he also brings height.

Food for thought for Tommy, I’m sure he’ll get it right 🤞

Bit annoying that if we make it through to the final, we will likely be playing City. I know we have beaten them recently but they will be a different animal in the CL final playing their first team. They were massively off colour that day. Was hoping for PSG who don’t seem that convincing. 

Maybe it’s the thought of losing a final which is worse. 

3 hours ago, JM7 said:

Bit annoying that if we make it through to the final, we will likely be playing City. I know we have beaten them recently but they will be a different animal in the CL final playing their first team. They were massively off colour that day. Was hoping for PSG who don’t seem that convincing. 

Maybe it’s the thought of losing a final which is worse. 

Yeah I’ve had this feeling for a while now that City winning CL this year is preordained 

10 minutes ago, Dean said:

Yeah I’ve had this feeling for a while now that City winning CL this year is preordained 

I had the feeling that it was PSG's time. They've been building their team to win the UCL for so many years, longer than City, that I thought this season was their turn. But they always, always fall short. Bunch of bottlers, the Spurs of Europe, won't beat City this year and will be left without the CL yet again.