Chelsea v Real Madrid (CL Semi-Final 2nd leg) Wed 5th May 2021 20:00 GMT

coco

4 hours ago, JM7 said:

Bit annoying that if we make it through to the final, we will likely be playing City. I know we have beaten them recently but they will be a different animal in the CL final playing their first team. They were massively off colour that day. Was hoping for PSG who don’t seem that convincing. 

Maybe it’s the thought of losing a final which is worse. 

But on the flip side they will be feeling the same anxiety/pressure to get that elusive first one that we felt for the best part of a decade.

You could tell it got to PSG in the final last year so hopefully if we get there similar will happen to City (or even PSG again).

18 minutes ago, Argo said:

But on the flip side they will be feeling the same anxiety/pressure to get that elusive first one that we felt for the best part of a decade.

You could tell it got to PSG in the final last year so hopefully if we get there similar will happen to City (or even PSG again).

The PSG players look like they have more issues to cope with the pressure of winning it I think so I would prefer to face PSG despite the fact that we are more familiar with Man City. Poch is more likely to bottle the final even if he arguably has a few better attacking players on paper but even that can be discussed.

To face this Man City team and Pep in the final would be more scary, I mean yes we only lost on penalties in the Carabao Cup final in the most recent years but this Man City generation has been aiming to win the CL for years now, they would be really fighting for Pep, for Aguero that said that he won't be leaving them until they win the CL and he's leaving this summer and Pep would know how to motivate those players and prepare them to have the majority of possession against us, after all after losing to Monaco some years back he just bought Mendy and Bernardo Silva in that sense of if I can't win against them I'll buy them...

Tuchel would be more than happy to prepare our team against his former team and Poch might just be powerless like he was when he faced Liverpool in the final, while we wouldn't really have any big surprises for Man City as we know each other well so it would be a harder game I think.

Guys let's get to the final first and then we can discuss whether City is a two headed monster or not. Unlike City, Paris, Arsenal, Spurs etc. Madrid have true European pedigree, they know how to play these big matches on the biggest European stage, this tie is far from over.

We've had far worse odds to win it in Munich, less chances than a lamb in a slaughter house but we did it and won the thing, if there is a higher percentage for the underdog to win it then a Final is the perfect moment. City are a great team, but we are no pushovers either, the same way Leicester are not either for the upcoming FA Cup final.

3 minutes ago, petre ispirescu said:

Guys let's get to the final first and then we can discuss whether City is a two headed monster or not. Unlike City, Paris, Arsenal, Spurs etc. Madrid have true European pedigree, they know how to play these big matches on the biggest European stage, this tie is far from over.

Tbh I don't really agree with this while I'm sure no one's assuming we're in the final I don't think it's a bad thing to discuss potential possibilities. 

The dreaming aspect is half the fun in this tournament.

Tuchel's approach is to focus on the next game, and the next game only. Real are very used to playing at this stage of the comp and their players certainly have the experience and mental know how to get one up. We will need even more character than we showed against Athletico. I worry about conceding a goal just before half time and cracking under the pressure.

As with the first game the idea will be to keep Kroos pushed back deep and modric off the ball. Benzema has played 41 games  this season. You'd think that would take its toll but its actually less than in previous seasons. He certainly seems to be built for the job even at 33.

Were unbeaten in five games against 3 of the top four in Spain, plus we knocked Porto out 2-0 (sorry 2-1 forgot they scored 94th min), that's what gives me hope we can go further. Losing to RM, City or PSG would not be nice, but i would rather be in our position than Spuds.

This is the biggest game in every single one of the current squad's life except T. Silva.

This game will separate the men from the boys

6 minutes ago, Deino said:

This is the biggest game in every single one of the current squad's life except T. Silva.

This game will separate the men from the boys

Perhaps along with Kante and Giroud who have of course won a World Cup final. But for the rest of the squad this is a big match.

Honestly no idea how we'll line up or approach the game. Looking forward to it though. I think we now appreciate how special these games are, after having not been here for a while. Feels a bit like 2003. Let's just hope that we don't have any repeat of the Tinkerman incidents from that tie.

Its all about getting the line up spot on. I fear RM will be more wary of Pulisic this game so may try to double up or crowd him out. However, its his runs off the ball that seemed to be the most effective last game. My feeling is as long as play to win we should have a decent chance at advancing. Were we to do what other teams have done in the past and played only to defend what we have then I fear we will be in trouble. 

If I'm being completely honest I have no idea how we will line up and that is what is exciting about this squad. I hope we play with at least one of the wb more attacking minded than last week but if we need to play 5 defenders to stop Benzema, Hazard and the rest then I won't complain. 

For me the biggest dilemma isn't who plays between Kai and Timk because both could start with Mount behind them in a mid 3 with Kante, Jorgeeh and or Kova. My issue would be that obvs Pulisic has to start so would be pushed out on the wing. I don't doubt his defensive work rate nor his ability in influence the fame from there I just worry were we to go down that route would he be as effective compared to a more inside role.

23 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Varane is out which is a major boost

How about Ramos? I fear that dude more. He's always going to break someone legs or shoulders.

5 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

How about Ramos? I fear that dude more. He's always going to break someone legs or shoulders.

I read he was training last week and should be ready. The guy is an idiot at the best of times so god knows what an unfit Ramos will be like? My feeling is if Ramos does play it will be a back 3 of Militao, Ramos and Nacho but i could be well out.

2 hours ago, LongtimerLurker said:

Its all about getting the line up spot on. I fear RM will be more wary of Pulisic this game so may try to double up or crowd him out. However, its his runs off the ball that seemed to be the most effective last game. My feeling is as long as play to win we should have a decent chance at advancing. Were we to do what other teams have done in the past and played only to defend what we have then I fear we will be in trouble. 

If I'm being completely honest I have no idea how we will line up and that is what is exciting about this squad. I hope we play with at least one of the wb more attacking minded than last week but if we need to play 5 defenders to stop Benzema, Hazard and the rest then I won't complain. 

For me the biggest dilemma isn't who plays between Kai and Timk because both could start with Mount behind them in a mid 3 with Kante, Jorgeeh and or Kova. My issue would be that obvs Pulisic has to start so would be pushed out on the wing. I don't doubt his defensive work rate nor his ability in influence the fame from there I just worry were we to go down that route would he be as effective compared to a more inside role.

I think it's a very simple line up, don't need to overthink things.

----------------Mendy---------------------

----Azpi--------Silva-------Rudi-----

----James----Kante---Jorgi----Chillwell

-----------------Mount-----------------

-------------Kai--------Pulisic----------

With both Kai and Pulisic up front, RM will have lots to worry about. Their movements and runs off the ball will keep that defense working all day long.

Ignore what I wrote 😂 just read Mendy joined Ramos in training today so could easily be a back 4. Reason I thought they would play a back 3 is because of Marcelo and Odri but Nacho can easily cover right back.

9 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

I think it's a very simple line up, don't need to overthink things.

----------------Mendy---------------------

----Azpi--------Silva-------Rudi-----

----James----Kante---Jorgi----Chillwell

-----------------Mount-----------------

-------------Kai--------Pulisic----------

With both Kai and Pulisic up front, RM will have lots to worry about. Their movements and runs off the ball will keep that defense working all day long.

I really hope we dont play a front 3 of Kai Mount and Pulisic.  I remember they did well against Crystal palace and then got dominated by Porto. Fulham is not the same as Real Madrid. Kai will definitely get dominated by Militao and Ramos if he plays because the play will be infront of them and they can be aggressive with his soft ass.  We need a runner to run in behind to test Ramos and Mendys fitness , besides even if Werner doesn't score his speed will create space for the others to capitalize .

I also think Christensen will start over James even though i wish it was in place of Azpi

1 minute ago, The Don Antonio said:

I really hope we dont play a front 3 of Kai Mount and Pulisic.  I remember they did well against Crystal palace and then got dominated by Porto. Fulham is not the same as Real Madrid. Kai will definitely get dominated by Militao and Ramos if he plays because the play will be infront of them and they can be aggressive with his soft ass.  We need a runner to run in behind to test Ramos and Mendys fitness , besides even if Werner doesn't score his speed will create space for the others to capitalize .

I also think Christensen will start over James even though i wish it was in place of Azpi

I don't disagree. I think there will be chances created, and I trust Kai a little more in finishing one of those chances.

If Kai can't get the job done, bring in Werner in the second half to run against tired defenders.

4 minutes ago, The Don Antonio said:

Yeah your spot on, Ramos will love all the play in front of him. Werner is a must IMO

I think we have to stick to a similar team to the first leg with 1-2 changes. I think Timo has to play to keep the honest as does Mount to help out the midfield and Pulisic because he's a difference maker. Now Kai looks the most convincing goal scorer on the team alongside Pulisic and Mount so if TT feels it he may play all 4. Pulisic in the CHO role on the right or left. I think this highly unlikely but still remains a possibility. 

I think he will want some fire power off the bench and that's why I could see Ziyech and Kai or Timo on the bench for this instead of playing 4 of our main attackers.

I think it's so hard to try and predict who will start this, hopefully Mount is ok after that knock because if TT is concerned it simplifies the decision making to just start Pulisic, Werner and Kai. Interestingly one thing I have found TT likes to do is play players on form but also even if a player does score he may not play if he thinks there is a better fit for the team. An example is Girpud scores vs Athletico but then not the following leg.

Really hard to judge because Ziyech also has a shout, due to experience and the fact he has scored some knockout goals for us already this season. I maintain getting the attack right will be the difference maker here. I think we can close them out or win 2-1 I just hope we take our chances and have the right attackers on at the right moments.

32 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

I don't disagree. I think there will be chances created, and I trust Kai a little more in finishing one of those chances.

If Kai can't get the job done, bring in Werner in the second half to run against tired defenders.

I get your point but werners speed only works if its a tie or we are up in the game. If we are chasing the game and Madrid park the bus his speed will be useless hence my preference for him starting

Werner is a guaranteed starter vs Real, his speed is an absolute must against their backline. If fit, both Werner and Pulisic will be in the first eleven.

I think we're very likely to go with the same lineup we had last week in Madrid. Kovacic was the only likely candidate to start in place of Jorginho but apparently he's still out.

I think our strengths and weaknesses were pretty much on dis[lay in the first game. We looked very potent going forward but weren't anywhere clinical or ruthless enough in front of goal, which made things much harder that they should have been. We also looked a bit knackered in the second half, which allowed Madrid to regain the control they lacked in the first 45.

I feel that at some point itwill start to click and we're due to have a breakout attacking performance where all that hard work, determination and quality we possess will finally be converted into goals galore. Hopefully it'll start on Wednesday, God knows, we've earned it.

As for Madrid, of course we can never understimate such an experienced side. Yes, most of their key players are either close to or over 30 and as a team they're clearly not as good as they were a few years ago when they won three CL titles in a row. Still, that team is full of world class players who have been there and know how to win at that level. They can score goals out of nowhere, just like Benzema did in the first match. Whatever happens, we'll have to take our chances and play at our absolute best to see them out.

5 hours ago, Dean said:

Yeah I’ve had this feeling for a while now that City winning CL this year is preordained 

Same. I dont think Real would beat them, I doubt we would either against their A team. If PSG dont Mount a comeback, Real or us are screwed imo.

9 hours ago, JM7 said:

Bit annoying that if we make it through to the final, we will likely be playing City. I know we have beaten them recently but they will be a different animal in the CL final playing their first team. They were massively off colour that day. Was hoping for PSG who don’t seem that convincing. 

Maybe it’s the thought of losing a final which is worse. 

They played a B side. Not a weak team but they had no Ederson, no Zilenko, no Stones, no IG, no Mahrez, no Foden, no Aguero, no Bernado. That is a lot of class out.

Is arguable but for me Cities best team is 

Ederson

Cancelo

Stones

Diaz

Zilenko 

Rodri

IG

Mahrez

KDB

Foden/Bernado

Aguero

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

If TT wants to play all of Mount, Pulisic, Kai, and Timo; then Jorgi will have to make way and it will be Kante and Mount in the midfield.

That would be what we should do if we are chasing the game. If we start that way we will be super open. 

At the start of the game it is real that need to score, not us. 0-0 suits us just fine.

Also if Ramos plays all of our forwards and Kante need to run at him and make him commit fouls. Let's target him, we know he has a red card in him.

Edited by axman2526