Chelsea v Man City (CL Final) 29/05/21 KO 20:00 BST

Bit of trivia for you.

I got into a weird habit of betting against us in a lot of our big games so I don't get too disappointed / can drown my sorrows with my winnings.

Every time I've done this, we end up winning the game and I lose money. 

Guess what I did earlier today? 

18 minutes ago, turnyitb said:

Are we going to have a week of negative “we have not got a hope sh*t?”?

it’s football, a one off game, anything can happen !

After the sh*t we’ve witnessed the last few weeks it’s natural to see us having a very slim chance of winning. I guess the best source of hope is that we were a bit sh*t in 2012 yet won it. So you are right, anything can happen and the best team doesn’t always win. But by God, we’ll need a performance that is completely out of nowhere to get the better of them. All I can think of is Werner being offside all night and cocking up any chances we get. I’ve lost all faith in almost every player we have. Today was important and we had nothing.

We have lost 3 in 4 last games. Not the best form to come and play in the CL final.

Mendy's got injured, hopefully he will be fully fit because without him our confidence will be very low.

One important thing before the big final, we secured our spot in top 4 and it might give some players more calm and won't put under pressure.

Again, we're underdog here. Everything is coming against us, our poor form, attacking players don't score, City are destroying everything coming towards them, we've lost one final already and many more stats.

One big night can change it all and make it clear, like all these stats never happen. I'm sure the players and Tuchel knows how big this title is and we definitely needs an improvement on our mentality in big games. It cannot be improved in few games, but there should be signs of more aggression, more motivation and higher morale than the opponent.

From this moment we have to focus only on us and be as positive as we can. f**k Man City and f**k their form, we are here to play for the title and we must come with our best. Don't respect too much, we have reached the final because we deserved it. We beat two Spanish clubs that one of them won the championship and the second one finished 2nd. We already beat City twice this season, why can't we make it? 

Everything depends on us, we can win this game, we have good players even without their best form, we still can offer a lot of football. 

COME ON CHELS!!!!

We have struggled against low blocks. Thankfully it is City and i expect a high line which will make Werner a crucial player for us. Hopefully Tuchel has the balls to bench Azpi.

Mendy

Christensen      Silva           Rudiger

James      Kante        Jorginho             Chilwell

Mount

Havertz                Werner

Captain America as the super sub to come on and win the game

1 hour ago, The Don Antonio said:

We have struggled against low blocks. Thankfully it is City and i expect a high line which will make Werner a crucial player for us. Hopefully Tuchel has the balls to bench Azpi.

Mendy

Mount

I would go for this but swap Jorginho for Kovacic. Banking on Kova being fitter and more like his old self with another week on the training pitch. 

Posted (edited)

Given that it’s going to be backs to the wall, would it be worth risking an early red card by trying to take DeBruyne out? Just seen his goal today on MOTD and he’s a different class.

I am convinced the only way we will win this is via something that sees us vilified as either anti-football or cheats or given recent events, ironically benefitting from some controversial refereeing decisions.

Edited by Snedger

11 hours ago, The Don Antonio said:

Mendy

Mount

If Tuchel doesn't start Azpi in the CL final, I would suggest Mount to be the captain, otherwise if Jorginho gets to lift the cup at the end a lot of fans would be unhappy maybe...LOL

Captain Phillips GIF

3 hours ago, Gol15 said:

If Tuchel doesn't start Azpi in the CL final, I would suggest Mount to be the captain, otherwise if Jorginho gets to lift the cup at the end a lot of fans would be unhappy maybe...LOL

Captain Phillips GIF

Tuchel will definitely bring on Azpi at the end to solidify the team if we are up . I know i am just dreaming because Tuchel will definitely start Azpi but if he starts he should play RCB and not RWB

6 hours ago, KonaKai Blue said:

Don't expect anything here after the last 3 weeks. Even though it's a one off game, we look absolutely awful. We need to do what we haven't been all season and that is super clinical.

3 hours ago, mojo said:

my hopes just went right down the toilet. we really became a bunch of bottlers. 

Yeah we have had a bad few games for sure.

14 hours ago, Snedger said:

Given that it’s going to be backs to the wall, would it be worth risking an early red card by trying to take DeBruyne out? Just seen his goal today on MOTD and he’s a different class.

I am convinced the only way we will win this is via something that sees us vilified as either anti-football or cheats or given recent events, ironically benefitting from some controversial refereeing decisions.

Last time we got quick red card, we conceded 5 goals to a relegation team

Having beaten them twice and knowing we normally play badly against the smaller sides the omens are reasonably good.

However that 6-0 loss a few years back shows what can happen when things go wrong.

Sounds like Kante and Mendy could well play the final, there isn't a serious injury with Mendy. Tuchel is prepared to risk them both but it just doesn't sound like they will be 100%

If Kante is fit I think he plays in the pivot with Jorginho alongside Mount. Timo and Havertz up top. If Kante isn't fit personally I play Mount alongside Jorgehh and have Ziyech join Timo and Kai. I think Pulisic has a decent shout to start as well but has been ineffective recently alongside just Werner so maybe he could play wing back and we play very aggressive. 

Not a fan of the James and Azpil switch in recent games, it's worked on occasion but it's too defensive. We don't need 5 out and out defenders on the pitch. The rest if the team really picks itself Thiago, Rudiger and Chillwell. Mendy if fit otherwise its Kepa. 

17 hours ago, The Don Antonio said:

Mendy

Mount

This team but with Kovacic instead of Jorginho and Werner playing in the hole behind Havertz.

18 minutes ago, coombsie said:

This team but with Kovacic instead of Jorginho and Werner playing in the hole behind Havertz.

Kova has looked below par since coming back. and why would you want Werner in the hole. He ls a technically deficient player , he is better up front stretching the city defense so that Kai and Mount can take advantGE. Hopefully he can stay onside though

Posted (edited)

Think we may need a more defensive approach to avoid something nasty happening.

Mendy

Dave 

Christensen

Silva

Rudiger

Chiwell

Jorginho 

Kovacic

Kante

Mount

Werner

Make it a back 5 now a 4, dont have them as wingbacks but fullbacks.

Sit Jorgi right on top of them, sit the midfield 3 in front of them. Instructions not to leave our own half except for Werner who's job is to chase down their defenders and try and latch on to long balls.

Throw bodies at everything and be so deep they cannot play in behind.

Edited by axman2526

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2021/5/24/22451078/good-news-on-kante-mendy-as-tuchel-gives-chelsea-players-time-off-before-champions-league-final

Did we not give players some time off after Leicester mark 2 this past week?

Seems a big gamble losing 2 days prep time ahead of many of these players biggest game for the club. Hopefully it works and does not backfire.

It really only takes 10-15 minutes of watching the players for us to know if it is going to be a sh*tshow or if we have a chance.

I know we cam back to beat them in the recent league game but our record is generally very poor when we concede first. I think it will be critical to get ahead in this game and hopefully doubts will then creep into City's minds following our recent wins against them. As always taking our chances is key. We cannot have another game like yesterday where our attackers miss a boatload of chances while we are in the ascendancy.