Man City v Chelsea (PL) Sat 8th May 2021 17:30 GMT

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

My take on the ref/VAR.

Got some calls in our favour but the officiating was poor.

1) Sterling's challenge was a red.

2) The first penalty wasn't one, Jesus jumps into Gilmour's path for whatever reason.

3) The second penalty was pretty clear, we'd be really angry if that wasn't given for us. But that said, Sterling deserves it for the number of times he's milked contact. If that was Vardy for example who almost always stays on his feet, that would be given.

4) City players committed multiple fouls that deserved yellows at the very least. The knee high trip on Pilisic was a contender for a red.

5) Christensen got a small (but subtle) push that can have severe consequence when moving off balance at that speed. 

Overall, a fantastic performance by our team and a well deserved win. City are going to be very scared. 

14 hours ago, Snedger said:

I guess I’m a glass half full pessimist type, but does nobody else think that beating City three times on the trot seems far fetched?

14 hours ago, nonotnowjim said:

Haha - no. I made the same point to my mate. Just made the CL final even harder! We can always draw and sneak it on pens again though!

Liverpool (when they were a 70's points team) beat City's 100 points 17/18 side three times on the spin.

If they can do it against that team we can certainly do it against this one.

4 minutes ago, Argo said:

Liverpool (when they were a 70's points team) beat City's 100 points 17/18 side three times on the spin.

If they can do it against that team we can certainly do it against this one.

I don't get the "we can't beat them thrice" argument. They'll quote the "law of averages" as a solid reason to be worried, whilst negating the recent previous two victories. They don't even consider the fact that TT has just played 3 of the top 4 in Spain six times and gone unbeaten, plus he beat city twice.

59 minutes ago, ashwin said:

My take on the ref/VAR.

Got some calls in our favour but the officiating was poor.

1) Sterling's challenge was a red.

2) The first penalty wasn't one, Jesus jumps into Gilmour's path for whatever reason.

3) The second penalty was pretty clear, we'd be really angry if that wasn't given for us. But that said, Sterling deserves it for the number of times he's milked contact. If that was Vardy for example who almost always stays on his feet, that would be given.

4) City players committed multiple fouls that deserved yellows at the very least. The knee high trip on Pilisic was a contender for a red.

5) Christensen got a small (but subtle) push that can have severe consequence when moving off balance at that speed. 

Overall, a fantastic performance by our team and a well deserved win. City are going to be very scared. 

Agree with it all - except I would say that a the tiny contact on Christensen wouldn't have mattered , had he had dealt with the ball properly rather than trying to Kung fu kick it. 

for me, that goal and potentially his injury, awas of his own making.

3 hours ago, Malta Blue said:

The original argument being we beat their B team both times. See how many minutes your version of their best line up got in the 2 matches, most the FA cup.

I am quite surprised that this is even a debate.  

If you analyze city's team, you can divide their attack into 3 part 

Left :gundo+foden 

Middle :kdb

Right :silva+mahrez 

The right side didn't play in the two games. KDB played only in 1st half of fa cup.Gundo and foden played in the 2nd half in the two games. 

So pretty much we faced only one of out those three threats at any one time. 

Somebody said but we also didn't play our best team, this is completely irrelevant. It does not matter if you say our b team is better than their b team. We and city will 100% field our best team in cl final

25 minutes ago, coco said:

I don't get the "we can't beat them thrice" argument. They'll quote the "law of averages" as a solid reason to be worried, whilst negating the recent previous two victories. They don't even consider the fact that TT has just played 3 of the top 4 in Spain six times and gone unbeaten, plus he beat city twice.

I think TT will carry on with his focused approach, whilst Pep continues to play mind games with himself (and both win and lose!), I didnt expect Chelsea to beat Citeh twice but now realise (as does Pep) that unless Citeh are right on it in the Final they will be swept away by the Chels. Of course Citeh are the favorites and the media have hardly noticed us but Citeh's run in has been relatively relaxed whereas ours has been ultra busy with important games and we are on reasonably good form. Roll on the Final !

I can see it going to Panekas!

Edited by OneTommyLangley

3 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

I am quite surprised that this is even a debate.  

If you analyze city's team, you can divide their attack into 3 part 

Left :gundo+foden 

Middle :kdb

Right :silva+mahrez 

The right side didn't play in the two games. KDB played only in 1st half of fa cup.Gundo and foden played in the 2nd half in the two games. 

So pretty much we faced only one of out those three threats at any one time. 

Somebody said but we also didn't play our best team, this is completely irrelevant. It does not matter if you say our b team is better than their b team. We and city will 100% field our best team in cl final

It's not a debate you are wrong....what is a b team? Answer that and I will tell you why you are wrong

17 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

Team that consist of mainly non 1st eleven

3 hours ago, Malta Blue said:

FA CUP                                                                                                 

Steffan - full match 

Cancelo - full match 

Dias - full match 

laporte - full match                                                                               

mendy - full match

fernandihiohiohiohiohio - full match

rodri - full match

torres  - substituted off on 64

KDB - substituted off on 48

sterling - full match

jesus - full match

gundogan - substituted on on 64

foden - substituted on on 48

PL

Ederson - full match

dias - full match

laporte - full match

Ake - full match

rodri - full match

cancelo - full match

torres - taken off on 71

sterling - full match

mendy - taken off on 80

jesus - full match

agur ooooooooh  dear  - taken off on 70

gundogan - brought on on  71

Zinchenko brought on on 80

foden brought on on 70

This is a quote I made in the CL version of the thread, go through these teams 1 by 1 particularly the PL.

Out of the 14 in that line up how many would you say are not worthy for the 1st team.

I'm glad you added the word mainly because you are right a b team can include 1st 11

But with squads these days being so big the 1st 11 isnt always the same week in week out so we have to look at who's good enough to be considered. Look at chelsea midfield jorgi, kante and kova is not a combination you would see all working together week in week out but are they good all good enough to be in our first 11 yes.

Tell me which of the city players on the pl list isnt good enough in your opinion to make a starting 11 week in week out without the need for rotation

1 hour ago, Malta Blue said:

This is a quote I made in the CL version of the thread, go through these teams 1 by 1 particularly the PL.

Out of the 14 in that line up how many would you say are not worthy for the 1st team.

I'm glad you added the word mainly because you are right a b team can include 1st 11

But with squads these days being so big the 1st 11 isnt always the same week in week out so we have to look at who's good enough to be considered. Look at chelsea midfield jorgi, kante and kova is not a combination you would see all working together week in week out but are they good all good enough to be in our first 11 yes.

Tell me which of the city players on the pl list isnt good enough in your opinion to make a starting 11 week in week out without the need for rotation

I don't understand your argument because what you are trying to say to me is that city b team is very2 good. Not once I said that they are not good. 

This is basically your argument 

A:Foden - KDB - Mharez

B:sterling-Aguero -Jesus

B is very2 good and probably can start week in week out for most teams. I absolutely agree 100%.

But my point is A is clearly better than B and we faced B not A. 

Edited by Bob stark

6 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

I don't understand your argument because what you are trying to say to me is that city b team is very2 good. Not once I said that they are not good. 

B is very2 good and probably can start week in week out for most teams. I absolutely agree 100%.

But my point is A is clearly better than B and we faced B not A. 

We faced A minus Mahrez in the FA Cup and they faced our B as much as we faced their B in the PL so it's even.

Edited by Gol15

Too much talk of the lineups.. Which team rotated the most and so on. Has zero impact on the final. Both sides have masses of quality. The game will be decided by individual skill and it can be a KDB worldie, Pulisic going past 7, Mendy saving it from top corner, Gundogan 1-2's through the entire pitch. The tactics are usually secondary in finals. It is about performance and individual skill. City has the experience and their top players are probably better but other than that we are pretty even. 

15 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

But my point is A is clearly better than B and we faced B not A. 

No that's not my argument, my argument is the starting 11 is not the same week in week out, you cant categorically say KDB is in the starting 11. Their starting 11 is fluid as is ours 8 of the 14 players that featured in last night's match also featured in the match against psg. That was not their b team. The likes of Ake, sure is b team material but aguero is not. It's not a case of 11 players playing week in week out, some of their star players always misses out the ones that miss out aren't always the same which means you cant say that they are b team. Yes there was b team players out on the pitch but as you said earlier it has to be mainly players that wouldn't get into the starting 11. If the we use psg game as an example one of the strongest teams they could of put out. 8 of the 14 from last night is not mainly players that cant get into the starting 11. If it was only 5 or 6 then we could call it a b team.

Also you are focused solely on the front 3

Not the actual team

Edited by Malta Blue

I seem to be in a tiny minority that didn't see the Zouma challenge as a pen. Yes, there was contact, but contact is not by definition a foul. Players' bodies come into contact constantly without it being a foul. It's a contact sport.

Zouma did not grab or push Sterling, either of which would have been a pen. He didn't mistime a tackle, which would have been a pen. He didn't attempt to tackle him at all. He didn't accidentally trip him. Just because he made contact with him does not mean he brought him down. In my view Sterling went down deliberately looking for the pen.

Taylor somehow got that decision right, which is such a rarity it should be celebrated.

I can see why he gave the first pen, but Gilmour was so unlucky. Again, he didn't put in a challenge, but inadvertently tripped him, although the replay shows it was Jesus who initiated the contact.

After Sky totally ignored the incident, it was good to see MotD agreeing Sterling should have seen red, but it was weird how they avoided saying he therefore sould not have been on the field to score and go down looking for a pen late on (they all felt it was a definite foul by Zouma).

32 minutes ago, Malta Blue said:

No that's not my argument, my argument is the starting 11 is not the same week in week out, you cant categorically say KDB is in the starting 11. Their starting 11 is fluid as is ours 8 of the 14 players that featured in last night's match also featured in the match against psg. That was not their b team. The likes of Ake, sure is b team material but aguero is not. It's not a case of 11 players playing week in week out, some of their star players always misses out the ones that miss out aren't always the same which means you cant say that they are b team. Yes there was b team players out on the pitch but as you said earlier it has to be mainly players that wouldn't get into the starting 11. If the we use psg game as an example one of the strongest teams they could of put out. 8 of the 14 from last night is not mainly players that cant get into the starting 11. If it was only 5 or 6 then we could call it a b team.

Also you are focused solely on the front 3

Not the actual team

Just thought as another reason why you are wrong....you quite clearly put sterling in a b team according to you last post. He has made appearances in 80% of man city's matches this season

About that hand touching his face: tbh I‘m pretty sure it was Azpis ‚bandage‘ and that can hurt like a b**** even without really hitting.

anyway, the way Sterling and Kun respondet showed me how dissatisfied they were with their own situation performance so that put a little smile on my face..

1 hour ago, weetee said:

About that hand touching his face: tbh I‘m pretty sure it was Azpis ‚bandage‘ and that can hurt like a b**** even without really hitting.

The fact that Sterling clutched the eye area and not the chin/throat area where Azpi brushed him tells me enough.

To be fair, Azpi would have done the same thing if it was the other way around (as a Spaniard it's in his DNA), so it would feel a bit rich to criticise Sterling for trying to make something out of nothing, but the way he reacted to Azpi offering his hand was pathetic. I've never been able to warm to him as a player, and that's not only because he used to play for Liverpool.

9 hours ago, coco said:

Well that’s it then, a solid and forgone conclusion that we’ve won. Start the engraving and decorate the bus. Not much point City even turning up because they lost to Liverpool three times and Tuchel always beats Spanish teams.

Again, I don’t think anyone has actually said that we CAN’T beat them three times, more that they are actually quite good and sooner or later they will win against us again. But clearly having any doubts or fears is frowned upon.