Man City v Chelsea (PL) Sat 8th May 2021 17:30 GMT

7 minutes ago, Phillip said:

This is my first input on this thread, so I apologize if someone has already mentioned it, but I felt that Anthony Taylor gave us all of the big calls in the 2nd half, including Zouma's challenge on Sterling that looked a 70-30 penalty to me in real time and when viewed in replay.  

I'll beat Val to respond:  Don't be silly 🙂

12 minutes ago, Phillip said:

This is my first input on this thread, so I apologize if someone has already mentioned it, but I felt that Anthony Taylor gave us all of the big calls in the 2nd half, including Zouma's challenge on Sterling that looked a 70-30 penalty to me in real time and when viewed in replay.  

What were the other big calls in the second half? I can only think of VAR being used to rule out CHO's goal. Marginal but the right decision sadly. We were fortunate to escape a penalty from Zouma's clumsy challenge in the second half. But equally we were unfortunate to have that penalty ruled against us in the first half. Not to mention many refs would have sent Sterling off. So I would say overall we got Taylor's benefit on just that one call, unless I missed something.

1 minute ago, forbzy said:

What were the other big calls in the second half? I can only think of VAR being used to rule out CHO's goal. Marginal but the right decision sadly. We were fortunate to escape a penalty from Zouma's clumsy challenge in the second half. But equally we were unfortunate to have that penalty ruled against us in the first half. Not to mention many refs would have sent Sterling off. So I would say overall we got Taylor's benefit on just that one call, unless I missed something.

Sterling dived was going nowhere so played for it.

32 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

It is more than who want it more. Pep played his b team twice against us. 

Which no doubt he will be reminding his players of.

30 minutes ago, Deino said:

Save your best reverse jinx for both finals mate!

I will do my best. Naturally since we are playing a sh*t team in midweek that we all expect to beat we are gonna a lose lmao.

I must be going soft in my old age. I haven't contacted my friends who are season ticket holders at City to gloat. Or should I wait until after the Champions League Final?

3 minutes ago, JM7 said:

I think that win pretty much should secure top 4 for us. It puts all the pressure on Leicester who are falling apart 

We need them rattled for the final. Hope this result forces Rodgers to rotate his team 

2 minutes ago, Boyne said:

I must be going soft in my old age. I haven't contacted my friends who are season ticket holders at City to gloat. Or should I wait until after the Champions League Final?

Best to wait....just incase and if we somehow lose when they start gloating you can be hey, I didn't say anything in our last match

16 minutes ago, Malta Blue said:

@coco when are you going to unlock the CL version of this thread so we can say stuff along the lines of "ha, we beat them again now we gunna beat them in the final" and all that sort of stuff?

now.

29 minutes ago, Boyne said:

Trust me WAIT. He who laughs last laughs LOUDEST

James was fantastic. Gilmour’ s best game and he will play a lot more. Thought Billy showed he really belonged at this level tonight. Alonso and Rudigier also great. 

This is getting so annoying when pundits and some clueless people are saying that Chelsea got lucky not to lose this game. City didn’t really even score a proper goal in this game or created much of anything meaningful. Their goal came from a push on Christensen who still should have easily cleared up that ball with a simple header. I have re-watched that first penalty number of times and don’t feel that was really a penalty at all. Jesus dived like a salmon from the faintest touch. Also, we were down to 10 men with central defender missing when they got that penalty. (I don’t understand that bullsh*t why a player has to wait to come off for an injured player that long. The rule should be to stop the game and allow player to come on. Then continue with 11v11 rather than giving another team advantage for few minutes for no reason).

We scored 5 goals from an open play today with 3 from offsides. One was a big offside from Werner so let’s rule this one, however the other two especially the one from CHO was a very close one. I believe the tip of his tongue managed to get into an offside position. The bottom line is that if CHO was few millimeters behind and Werner was a bit better aware of his positioning both goals could have stood. 

My point is that City’s goal and penalty might have never happened if Christensen easily cleared ball in simple situation and we had 11 on the pitch when they were given that penalty. However, besides two valid goals we scored both offside goals could have easily happened. 

24 minutes ago, mojo said:

"Sterling should have been sent off!"  Yeah stick their sh*t back to these so called journos ::clap2::

Great answer, not only did he address the fact that Sterling was lucky to be on the pitch but he also said we were unlucky for the small offside decision. We deserved the win.

That was a hell of an important win. It didn’t look likely just before half-time. We were facing a penalty, potentially 2-0 down, and we hadn’t created much. Credit to Mendy for keeping his wits and realising in time what Aguero was up to.

It changed everything and we came out and played well second half. Some frustrating off-side calls which we really need to work on. But eventually a fantastic strike from Ziyech. 

We survived that dive from Sterling, thankfully the ref, having given them a soft penalty already, wasn’t going to give them another. Then brilliant play from Hudson-Odoi and Werner in particular to set up the winner for Alonso. 

Fantastic win, performance, and mentality. Unexpected. But we could do with sealing a top four finish before the CL final. Results went our way in other games too. This is shaping up into a hell of an end to this season. Who’d have guessed?