Chelsea v Arsenal (PL) Wed 12th May 2021 20:15 GMT

10 minutes ago, JM7 said:

The worst thing about this game wasn’t even the Jorginho back pass that led the goal. 

I can think of 89 other minutes of shocking play.  

1. Kai Havertz stealing the ball and having to beat just Leno and shooting it way over the bar.

2. Jorginho getting an awkward pass from Zouma and not putting his head up to see that Kepa isn't on the goal line and passing it blindly.

Those 2 moments lost us the game. 2 good players simply forgot the very basics of the game, this is unheard of. The rest of the game was just one of those days, an offside goal and clueless passing around the edge of the final third like we're playing Newcastle away or whatever but the worst thing is those two highlights, Kai miss and Jorginho's bad pass.

3 minutes ago, 2211 said:

I really hate the idea of resting a load of players for big matches, I think I’d rather first team players have a stinker and then be replaced after 60 minutes or so.

We only have 4 football matches left this season and they are all important, we can’t afford to pick and choose matches to prioritise.

Especially after watching Man Utd do the same thing, difference is there they are guaranteed top 4 so they could afford to throw away one match.

There is too much thought put into the games coming up instead of the game in front of you these days. Win tonight and we could have afforded rest to the champions league  starting team. Now we need to play the first eleven in the remaining league games. The one thing we do know though is ManU won't lie down for the Scouse.

Just now, KonaKai Blue said:

Regardless. You Jorginho didn't even bloody look up. That is criminal from a football player as negative as him. 

Yeah, he's always had that in his game and it's too late for him to iron it out now. Those errors are always likely to happen with Jorginho.

But as bad as that error was, it happened early enough for us to recover and get a result but there was just nothing there tonight and no player gets any more than a 5/10 with the exception of Gilmour. Very frustrating and TT will know Kante and Werner (and Mendy) will need to start every game from now on.

5 minutes ago, big blue said:

He could see the whole pitch when that ball got passed back, plenty of time to stop it and recover the ball. He got a good claw on it aswell, so I think he couldve done better. Agree to disagree though mate. Not going to go around in circles.

Fair enough mate, he shouldn’t have been put in that situation anyway, also thought Thiago should have focused on cutting off the cut back when Auba got it and left Kepa to stop the shot but hindsights a wonderful thing. I reckon they were panicking after the pass back! Frustrating as f**k because as poor as we were - Arsenal created sweet FA.

7 minutes ago, rocker_joker said:

I'm guessing Tuchel now regrets not playing his best team today and  wrapping Top 4. He tried to rest players to protect them from injuries and now you have to play your best team next 4 games. His gamble hasn't paid off today.

There was nothing wrong with out lineup part from the players not showing up and not doing the basics right. This team that started the game should have won it, we lost it due to our own mistakes.

12 minutes ago, big blue said:

Harsh, but i thought he couldve stopped it dead, rather than try push it out. Still dont see that happening with mendy, as i dont see mendy being that wide. 95%on jorginho, 5% on kepa for me. 

Tuchel just said in his SKY interview that the rule the players work to with back passes to Kepa is send it to his right foot.

Jorginho's error 100%. Nothing on Zouma. Nothing on Kepa.

Still seething over this sh!t result. Another abysmal advert football and again we lose to one of the worst Arsenal teams in living memory. How they can think that this is a battling result for them is laughable. Thy could barely keep the ball on the pitch.

Technically if the goal rebounds out fro the post rather than in, it wouldn't even have been registered as a shot on target.

We really missed Rudiger tonight, apart from the fact that the our 2 defeats under Tuchel has actually come when Rudiger has been rested, we missed his winner’s mentality, suddenly picking up the ball and running directly into the opponent’s half to create a sudden injection of urgency.

Can’t afford to not play him again this season.

1 minute ago, loz said:

Jorghino isn't a poor player. He just isn't a great player. He is a top six at best player but more likely a mid table one. He certainly isn't  a title challenging player. He is well suited to serie A during an era when it isn't a strong league. He isn't suited to the English game where you get pressured on the ball deep in your own half. 

I have always said that we will never challenge for the title with Jorginho as a regular starter. I still believe that. He isn't the one reason, our finishing is just as much of a reason, but he's a major reason why I think this way. I just feel that he is too limited. If you are going to win league titles as a regular starter for a team, then you need to be be capable of playing against multiple styles of football. I can't think of a worse player to play against a team that will stick 10 men behind the ball than Jorginho. I bet defensive sides love playing against Jorginho, because they know he can't hurt them. 

When we went in at 1-0 down, Jorginho had to come off. The whole game had shifted and Arsenal had gone ultra defensive. I have seen us apply that same tactic ourselves against Jorginho types over the years and more often than not, we were the ones that came out on top. 

3 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

There was nothing wrong with out lineup part from the players not showing up and not doing the basics right. This team that started the game should have won it, we lost it due to our own mistakes.

Gol remember before the match I commented on you saying it’s not a must win game. This scenario is exactly why I did. The moment you start making unnecessary changes like your keeper along with six others it sends out a message this game isn’t as important. It shouldn’t do as all are professional players but you see it time and again, a drop in intensity. This result was on the horizon, we outthought ourselves and now have made the job far more difficult. Small details.

9 minutes ago, charierre said:

There is too much thought put into the games coming up instead of the game in front of you these days.

It’s one thing that managers do that I can’t get my head around, literally picking players for a game 2 matches away and whoever is left can play the very next match.

To me it is the very definition of overthinking.

23 minutes ago, Nibs said:

At HT I commented that the tippy-tappy stuff around the box wasn't working and Havertz wasn't having a good game so called for CHO and Giroud to do something different.

However, I wasn't expecting Gimour to be player hooked and was hoping CHO would produce something like he did against City rather than the zero he produced tonight!

I'd disagree with that first bit Nibs. First half I thought we were looking very good in and around the Arsenal box and that was solely down to Gilmour's intelligence and vision. His passes were regularly stretching Arsenal and creating space. For the first time in ages we were causing problems for a team defending deep in numbers. half

A massive error by Tuchel IMO to take him off and for me that decision was compounded by how poorly Jorginho was playing. 

2 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I have always said that we will never challenge for the title with Jorginho as a regular starter. I still believe that. He isn't the one reason, our finishing is just as much of a reason, but he's a major reason why I think this way. I just feel that he is too limited. If you are going to win league titles as a regular starter for a team, then you need to be be capable of playing against multiple styles of football.

Jorginho has been doing his role for 3 seasons, in all of those previous ones we finished in top 4 and are very close to do it for the 3rd time now. Sarri changed the way we played because he had Jorginho and we won Europa League and this season we are in the CL final with Jorginho being a vital part of our team. Pep wanted to sign Jorginho and he has been winning titles so he probably knows that he could do it with Jorginho, Italy haven't lost in a long time with Jorginho in the starting lineup. We couldn't really challenge for the title the season before Jorginho came, we finished 5th so there are many more factors involved than just 1 player that fans dislike because Sarri that bought him said that Juventus is a bigger team...

9 minutes ago, charierre said:

Gol remember before the match I commented on you saying it’s not a must win game. This scenario is exactly why I did. The moment you start making unnecessary changes like your keeper along with six others it sends out a message this game isn’t as important. It shouldn’t do as all are professional players but you see it time and again, a drop in intensity. This result was on the horizon, we outthought ourselves and now have made the job far more difficult. Small details.

You were right, you saw the danger and pretty much predicted the whole pattern here. This shows you know a lot about the game and about our team.

12 minutes ago, Sindre said:

We'll see about that.

It would not surprise me in the slightest if Jorginho is a key part of a title win. If we beat City on the 29th he will have been a key part of that.

And he's been terrific since Tuchel came in. Atrocious against WBA and bad today (also looked very tired) both otherwise he's been very, very good.

I firmly believe that Jorginho is a liability rather than an asset.  This season in 25 appearance he has 6 scored goals and 1 assist. Hardly anything special. His 89% of completed passes is simply due to his passing backwards and sideways, usually within 10 yards, and his mid-and long-range passes are awkward or inaccurate. His overall shooting accuracy is 43% and his cross accuracy is 29%.

He dwells on the ball for too long, he does not see options upfront and his 50/50 battles more often lost than won. Just an average slow player with no imagination.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

I feel like the line-up either needed Kante to start or come from the bench. He has been our best player recently driving us forward. Not having him available feels like cost us the game.  The going got tough today and we needed someone to add intensity which Kante has. 

Edited by rocker_joker

1 minute ago, Stas1 said:

I firmly believe that Jorginho is a liability rather than an asset.  This season in 25 appearance he has 6 scored goals and 1 assist. Hardly anything special. His 89% of completed passes is simply due to his passing backwards and sideways, usually within 10 yards, and his mid-and long-range passes are awkward or inaccurate. His overall shooting accuracy is 43% and his cross accuracy is 29%.

He dwells on the ball for too long, he does not see options upfront and his 50/50 battles more often lost than won. Just an average slow player with no imagination.

Lampard tried without him and we all saw what happened. Jorginho was vital for our CL run this season in which we beat some of the biggest teams out there.

1 minute ago, rocker_joker said:

I feel like the line-up either needed Kante to start or come from the bench. He has been our best player recently driving us forward. Not having him available feels like cost us the game.  The going got tough today and we needed someone to drive it. 

I take back what I said, I fully agree with @charierre that has already pointed out the problem with this game even before it started.

2 minutes ago, Petworth Chelsea Fan said:

Kept was a heck of a long way to the left of his goal though?

He was Petworth, but Jorginho should have seen that. He made the pass without looking