Jump to content

Chelsea v Arsenal (PL) Wed 12th May 2021 20:15 GMT


 Share

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Understand where you are coming from. But on the flipside it could, if everything goes well keep us sharp and make sure we go into the CL final with the momentum of a FA-cup win.

City have three meaningless games coming up and their season is over bar for the final against us. So hopefully that disrupts them a bit. It disrupted Bayern under Guardiola a few times when they had the league wrapped up early.

Let's hope that happens again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


44 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

Just thinking how costly our semi final win against City could prove to be. If we'd lost, we wouldn't have rotated so many players last night and would have been well rested for the Leicester league game. 

The Cup final could conceivably see us miss out on top 4, and of course our battle to get top 4 and to win the FA cup will leave our players physically and mentally fatigued compared to our opponents in the CL final.

Just expressing my fears and frustration after last night's dismal defeat.

 

 

Where is this heavy rotation thing coming from? Except for Kepa, Gilmour and Zouma, the rest of the starting 11 are players considered to be starters, and Zouma has started a few times for us. We played a defence of Azpi, Silva and Zouma, a midfield of Gilmour and Jorginho with Milly Vanilly (Chilly and James) on both sides, and a front three of Mount, Havertz and Pulisic. I sincerely don't see much rotation. Werner could have played, yes, but it is not the first time he's been rested and the one that played in his place (Havertz) is also considered to be a starter. The subs were odd, I agree, but the starting 11 was strong and not heavily rotated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I  I can't think of a worse player to play against a team that will stick 10 men behind the ball than Jorginho. I bet defensive sides love playing against Jorginho, because they know he can't hurt them. 

Under Sarri Jorginho was a regular part of a team that picked up 57 points out of an available 66 against teams 10th and below, also our best football under Lampard came with the Jorginho/Kova axis in the middle and it was actually breaking that up that caused the lesser sides to start getting good results against us, so the narrative we're incapable of sweeping up against the fodder with him in the team simply isn't true, we did it systematically for the first season and a bit he was here.

What's needed now is a balance and one that hasn't yet been properly found for years really, we seem to ace the lesser games and are wrecks in the big games or are big game mentality monsters but suffer in the lesser games, it's been one or the other since Jose 2.0 really and hopefully Tuchel can finally be the one to strike the right balance between both.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Backbiter said:

Just thinking how costly our semi final win against City could prove to be. If we'd lost, we wouldn't have rotated so many players last night and would have been well rested for the Leicester league game. 

The Cup final could conceivably see us miss out on top 4, and of course our battle to get top 4 and to win the FA cup will leave our players physically and mentally fatigued compared to our opponents in the CL final.

Just expressing my fears and frustration after last night's dismal defeat.

 

 

This obsession with top four is exactly why this superleague came along.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't seen a team this season as bad as Arsenal was yesterday. And we f**ked it up. Bigtime.

All this talk from Thomas in every PC that he sees the next game only and no further. And finding the scapegoat in Billy, really? I'm just still pissed beyond. What idiotic approach to the game again after WBA cock-up. You've thought that lessons were learnt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Lang7 said:

Lampard played nearly every game in a West Ham side that finished 5th in the Prem and Harry Kane scored one-in-three at Championship Millwall.

CHO plays for one of the strongest teams in the country and still produces nothing. I couldn’t name you a single game where I came away thinking he really improved us. Maybe he will improve in future or maybe he’s just not that good.

At this point, and having just watched the new shirt video thingy, I'd venture an opinion that CHO is probably a better DJ right now than he is a winger ...  🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I still hate this loss. Everything that happened for the goal was all needless. 

Needless backpass, needless no look pass from Jorginho, referee could have also stopped the ball by calling for indirect free kick albeit from 6 yards out.

Tuchel should have subbed Jorginho so he could've been rested for the FA Cup Final. Have Mount play next to Billy and bring on Giroud next to Kai or something. 

2 steps forward one step back.

Wish I could delete the game and the feelings from memory

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Deino said:

I still hate this loss. Everything that happened for the goal was all needless. 

Needless backpass, needless no look pass from Jorginho, referee could have also stopped the ball by calling for indirect free kick albeit from 6 yards out.

Tuchel should have subbed Jorginho so he could've been rested for the FA Cup Final. Have Mount play next to Billy and bring on Giroud next to Kai or something. 

2 steps forward one step back.

Wish I could delete the game and the feelings from memory

The big missed chance by Kai right before cost us too. We have been missing too many chances in most games but have got away with it through keeping clean sheets. Last night we gave away a sloppy goal but that wouldn't have mattered had we taken the important chances. We need to improve in this area or it will continue to cost us in some games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, rocker_joker said:

Anyone still brewing over that Arse loss from yesterday...? This is one of those loses that just keep pissing you off the more you think about it.  We were not great yesterday but definitely should have gotten at least a point from it.  I guess it was just one of those games we just need to forget it and move on.

I was at the time though not more than being humiliated by WBA.

Now though I find it quite funny. If you can look past the part about it being Arsenal and look at all the bad luck we made and also recieved it is quite comical, as is the fact Arsenal scored with a strike in the very same fluke way Alonso did at City.

Just off the top of my head:

1. Arsenal present Kai with a golden chance, they are high up playing in to our hands and Kai breaks away and sets himself up beautiful, Leno even makes it easy for him, there is loads of room for Kai to play ot past him to Kais left and instead he blasts it over the bar, up there with any of Timos misses.

2. Then the goal. Zouma picked on the left again is a mistake, he has no left foot so does not pass to either Chilwell or Kepa as he does not trust his left, Jorgi gets it and forgets to look, forgets Kepa is in goal and creates an own goal basically. Smith Rowe kicks the ball against his own standing leg and, just like Alonso, it flukes in.

3. Mount has a great chance which is blocked by a hand in an unnatural upright position. No pen, would have been earlier in the season and still should be now. in

4. Mount wastes another good chance.

5. Tuchel takes off our most creative player and nullifies Mount in one sub.

6. Mounts corners turn to cr@p.

7. Giroud hits an airshot when free in the D.

8. Pulisic mistimed his run and goes way offside, costing us a goal.

9. We spend most of the half without a shot on target and mess around playing chuckle brothers passes.

10. Finally we double hit the bar.

When you go through all the bad luck we made and also recieved is pretty funny. It also does not excuse the same bad attitude and lack of focus that has gotten managers sacked before and will end with TT sacked someday too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

I was at the time though not more than being humiliated by WBA.

Now though I find it quite funny. If you can look past the part about it being Arsenal and look at all the bad luck we made and also recieved it is quite comical, as is the fact Arsenal scored with a strike in the very same fluke way Alonso did at City.

Just off the top of my head:

1. Arsenal present Kai with a golden chance, they are high up playing in to our hands and Kai breaks away and sets himself up beautiful, Leno even makes it easy for him, there is loads of room for Kai to play ot past him to Kais left and instead he blasts it over the bar, up there with any of Timos misses.

2. Then the goal. Zouma picked on the left again is a mistake, he has no left foot so does not pass to either Chilwell or Kepa as he does not trust his left, Jorgi gets it and forgets to look, forgets Kepa is in goal and creates an own goal basically. Smith Rowe kicks the ball against his own standing leg and, just like Alonso, it flukes in.

3. Mount has a great chance which is blocked by a hand in an unnatural upright position. No pen, would have been earlier in the season and still should be now. in

4. Mount wastes another good chance.

5. Tuchel takes off our most creative player and nullifies Mount in one sub.

6. Mounts corners turn to cr@p.

7. Giroud hits an airshot when free in the D.

8. Pulisic mistimed his run and goes way offside, costing us a goal.

9. We spend most of the half without a shot on target and mess around playing chuckle brothers passes.

10. Finally we double hit the bar.

When you go through all the bad luck we made and also recieved is pretty funny. It also does not excuse the same bad attitude and lack of focus that has gotten managers sacked before and will end with TT sacked someday too.

You left out Havertz being tripped in the box twice in the 2nd half.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, Argo said:

This obsession with top four is exactly why this superleague came along.

CL is crucial in player recruitment. More so than FA cups. Now if the FA cup gave access to the CL...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We fans love the cup but, if we want to be considered a top club, we need to mingle with the best in Europe and be competitive. The reality is that the FA Cup gives you less prestige than it used to and it is depreciated because it gives you no access to the top tier in Europe. Look at Arsenal, they’ve won it a few times and they are still a mid table team with a mid table mentality. It’s down to the FA to reconsider the situation of the FA Cup winner and give a place in the CL to the team that wins it (I don’t know if this is a UEFA or FA thing).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RMH said:

We fans love the cup but, if we want to be considered a top club, we need to mingle with the best in Europe and be competitive. The reality is that the FA Cup gives you less prestige than it used to and it is depreciated because it gives you no access to the top tier in Europe. Look at Arsenal, they’ve won it a few times and they are still a mid table team with a mid table mentality. It’s down to the FA to reconsider the situation of the FA Cup winner and give a place in the CL to the team that wins it (I don’t know if this is a UEFA or FA thing).

If Liverpool win tonight they will make top 4 imo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

CL is crucial in player recruitment. More so than FA cups. Now if the FA cup gave access to the CL...

Off the top of my head Kante, Pirlo, Ronaldinho (twice), David Silva, Tevez, Suarez, Aubameyang, Pogba, Kova, Di Maria, Zlatan (twice), Falcao (three times), Vidal and Ribery all signed for clubs without CL football. Not to mention Werner, Ziyech, Havertz and Pulisic agreed to come here with CL football very far from secure (all bar Kai from secure CL clubs).

It's a big myth that CL is the be all and end all for player recruitment as that list above clearly demonstrates. If we consistently fail to make it then yes, but one season will make little to no difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


7 minutes ago, Argo said:

Off the top of my head Kante, Pirlo, Ronaldinho (twice), David Silva, Tevez, Suarez, Aubameyang, Pogba, Kova, Di Maria, Zlatan (twice), Falcao (three times), Vidal and Ribery all signed for clubs without CL football. Not to mention Werner, Ziyech, Havertz and Pulisic agreed to come here with CL football very far from secure (all bar Kai from secure CL clubs).

It's a big myth that CL is the be all and end all for player recruitment as that list above clearly demonstrates. If we consistently fail to make it then yes, but one season will make little to no difference.

That's a fair list but I am sure plenty of players (and their agents) show far less interest in clubs with no CL. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say Hazard only really considered us after we'd got CL by winning in Munich.

And I doubt many players have in recent years decided to join a club because they won the FA cup. It's sad, given its glorious history, but it is no longer the competition it once was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, axman2526 said:

If Liverpool win tonight they will make top 4 imo.

That’s what I like to read from you! That means that we are winning the CL and end in 2 position (last night you were more confident and look how it went 😅)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, RMH said:

That’s what I like to read from you! That means that we are winning the CL and end in 2 position (last night you were more confident and look how it went 😅)

Yup no control over it. Was very confident heading in to last night, and West Brom, and JTs pen in Moscow etc etc.

Now I am pretty confident Liverpool make top four and we are going to blow both cup finals...lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Argo said:

Off the top of my head Kante, Pirlo, Ronaldinho (twice), David Silva, Tevez, Suarez, Aubameyang, Pogba, Kova, Di Maria, Zlatan (twice), Falcao (three times), Vidal and Ribery all signed for clubs without CL football. Not to mention Werner, Ziyech, Havertz and Pulisic agreed to come here with CL football very far from secure (all bar Kai from secure CL clubs).

It's a big myth that CL is the be all and end all for player recruitment as that list above clearly demonstrates. If we consistently fail to make it then yes, but one season will make little to no difference.

It's not but a majority of the examples either chose money, boyhood fan of said club or past their best. 

But having CL football is the sweetener when they consider between us and the bigger clubs. 

Only reason we got Werner, Havertz and Ziyech was because we were CL hopefuls. I doubt Marina didn't bring it up during their discussion with the players and agents. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Deino said:

It's not but a majority of the examples either chose money, boyhood fan of said club or past their best. 

But having CL football is the sweetener when they consider between us and the bigger clubs. 

Only reason we got Werner, Havertz and Ziyech was because we were CL hopefuls. I doubt Marina didn't bring it up during their discussion with the players and agents. 

Apart from Falcao (third time) and Zlatan (second time) I wouldn't say any of them were past their best, Dinho (when he went to Milan) was in hindsight but at the time people thought he needed a new challenge.

I think with our location, the packages we offer and the fact most current players grew up seeing us as nothing other than successful means we are still a pull even without CL football.

If it lingered for a few years then it would be a problem but i don't think it will on this occasion if the worst happened.

Edited by Argo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Argo said:

Apart from Falcao (third time) and Zlatan (second time) I wouldn't say any of them were past their best, Dinho (when he went to Milan) was in hindsight but at the time people thought he needed a new challenge.

I think with our location, the packages we offer and the fact most current players grew up seeing us as nothing other than successful means we are still a pull even without CL football.

If it lingered for a few years then it would be a problem but i don't think it will on this occasion if the worst happened.

Certainly. Given that we're the only London-based teams that consistently fight for top spots at the moment.

It's more down to us performing well over the years and Arsenal declining every year since 2006 that we can get people born in the 90's regardless of CL football. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, rocker_joker said:

ManU is just abysmal against Liverpool today. Well, now we need to win both remaining games without any wiggle room. 

Does not matter what anyone else does. Matters what we do and we messed up royally. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!