Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So ladies and gentlemen it all comes down to this, the final 4 games of our season which will either make it an amazing success, a dismal failure or somewhere in between.

The loss to Arsenal, coupled with other results, has taken the collective wind out of a lot of our sails.

First up Leicester and ourselves will play off for the FA cup, and then for a place in the champions league. The Villa game will hold a lot of importance unless we lose the league game to the foxes, in which case they would be beyond us and Liverpool would likely need to simply beat Palace to make 4th, and the CL final speaks for itself.

Having gotten to 3rd place if we blow top 4 now then that is a huge black mark against TT and the team unless we achieve victory in Porto.

Win the CL and the it has been an amazing season, even if we lose the other 3 games.

Without the CL final win we need top 4 or the season becomes a big disappointment simply because we got ourselves from 10th up to 3rd only to blow it against poor teams like Arsenal and WBA.

The FA cup adds a nice gloss to either the top 4 or CL, or both, but is not enough to save the season if neither is achieved.

Hopefully we truly have recieved a wakeup call and we react, along with hoping Kante is ok.

What are you expectations for the remaining games?

Mine are on the grim side.

FA cup final, loss, thinking pens

Leicester home, loss, defensive masterclass and done on the counter.

Villa away, draw, dead rubber for both if my Leicester prediction is right.

CL final, defeat and it wont be pretty.

Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, _Ilya_ said:

Is it some kind of a superstition thing - predicting absurdly bad results in order to create luck or some such? 🙂

You clearly are not familiar with the power of counterjinxing. Ask @The Rising Sun to tell to you how good I am at that. I was having great results with my gloomy predictions until I dropped the ball for the Arsenal match :sadwalk:That loss is on me....

FA Cup final: 1-0 loss

Leicester home: 1-1 draw

Villa away: 2-2 draw

CL final: 3-1 loss

Link to post
Share on other sites

The worst thing is that we HAVE to win against Leicester. The team have stupidly put a lot of pressure on themselves. Win against Leicester and I think we will make top 4. 
 

I agree, if we fail to make top 4 from our position, it will be hugely disappointing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Valerie said:

FA Cup final: 1-0 loss

Leicester home: 1-1 draw

Villa away: 2-2 draw

CL final: 3-1 loss

And if you just predict “6:0 loss x4” the Gods get offended?
“You don’t even mean it! You never take me seriously… Do you even respect me?” 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, _Ilya_ said:

And if you just predict “6:0 loss x4” the Gods get offended?
“You don’t even mean it! You never take me seriously… Do you even respect me?” 

A lot more thought and self-belief go into this than just nilly-willy predicting 6-0 losses 😳

Link to post
Share on other sites

So it is down to winning the last two PL to get top 4. I'm not worried about the CL final and Villa, we should play the strongest team in those two games as they are a week apart and plenty of time for players to recover. I'm more concerned about possible injuries and tiredness in the next two games. The FA Cup would be nice, but suddenly Tuesday's PL match is another final for both teams. Do we rotate in the final or in the PL match? Or in neither? To be fair, I think that Leicester has got worse last two games than us. Even if we draw on Tuesday, we need to beat Villa (doable) and Leicester have to beat Spurs (if they draw is down to GD and we have one more goal), which could be trickier than Villa.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think our season can be described as a “dismal failure” even if we lose both finals and don’t make top 4. It would surpass even the most optimistic expectations at the time of Tuchel’s appointment. Getting to the CL final is huge. Nobody expected that. We’re on the right path and TT will be here next season no matter what happens in those 4 games. 

Anyway, to those four games. Obviously no idea but for the hell of it: I think we’ll lose the CL final and win the other three.

Link to post
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Dean said:

I don’t think our season can be described as a “dismal failure” even if we lose both finals and don’t make top 4. It would surpass even the most optimistic expectations at the time of Tuchel’s appointment. Getting to the CL final is huge. Nobody expected that. We’re on the right path and TT will be here next season no matter what happens in those 4 games. 

Anyway, to those four games. Obviously no idea but for the hell of it: I think we’ll lose the CL final and win the other three.

It would be a dismal season and a failure from TT. He deserves massive credit for getting us back up but to only go and blow it on all fronts at the last hurdle with no one to blame but ourselves is a massive failure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Win the FA Cup, draw in the League with Leicester 4 days later and beat Aston Villa on Sunday.

In theory Liverpool have an easier run-in as opponents are safe yet one normally springs a surprise.

It might come down to goal difference against Villa and Liverpool are quite capable of pulling back a 2 goal margin.

The CL must wait until after Villa for me and of course we know the opponents well.

The one big concern is over injuries as that could have a major effect if neither, Kante or Kova can figure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

Win the FA Cup, draw in the League with Leicester 4 days later and beat Aston Villa on Sunday.

In theory Liverpool have an easier run-in as opponents are safe yet one normally springs a surprise.

It might come down to goal difference against Villa and Liverpool are quite capable of pulling back a 2 goal margin.

The CL must wait until after Villa for me and of course we know the opponents well.

The one big concern is over injuries as that could have a major effect if neither, Kante or Kova can figure.

If we draw on Tuesday against Leicester, win at Villa and Leicester don’t beat Spurs we are through (if they were to draw against Spurs, it will go down to goal difference and we have a better GD by 1). Not worried about the dippers, they’ll win their games unless Burnley pulls a surprise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KonaKai Blue said:

It would be a dismal season and a failure from TT. He deserves massive credit for getting us back up but to only go and blow it on all fronts at the last hurdle with no one to blame but ourselves is a massive failure. 

It’s not. This view shows insufficient understanding of the element of randomness/luck in a football match. We could play well in both finals but still lose both - a case of bad luck rather than anyone being to blame. This is especially true when you consider that we will be playing the best and third best teams in the land in those finals. These matches are a very close call from the outset and that means luck/randomness is a more likely swing factor than if we are playing someone worse.
 

A sample of 4 matches is obviously less random than one. To lose all 4 would be hugely disappointing but it wouldn’t necessarily prove anything. In any given season, a top side can have a 4 match losing streak, especially when 3 of those are against top quality opposition.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, _Ilya_ said:

And if you just predict “6:0 loss x4” the Gods get offended?
“You don’t even mean it! You never take me seriously… Do you even respect me?” 

Ypu have to feel it in your guts my friend, predicting a defeat is lip service. Casing point I still predicted a loss to Arsenal on Zetas compo even though I went in confident we would smash them. 

5 hours ago, Valerie said:

You clearly are not familiar with the power of counterjinxing. Ask @The Rising Sun to tell to you how good I am at that. I was having great results with my gloomy predictions until I dropped the ball for the Arsenal match :sadwalk:That loss is on me....

FA Cup final: 1-0 loss

Leicester home: 1-1 draw

Villa away: 2-2 draw

CL final: 3-1 loss

Nah Val we share the blame on that one, we can enjoy the Thursday night show together next season 🙈🙊🙉

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Dean I stated my belief a season finished with no top 4 OR the CL won would be a dismal failure and I stand by that.

You can lose finals, a bad game by key players, bad luck, Anthony Taylor etc etc. 

However the key point in that statement is the OR part.

Top 4 has been in our hands for some time, we put ourselves 3rd before Arsenal and now we are in real danger of missing out. Why? Because TT and the team took pish sides like Arsenal and WBA lightly and we got punished.

Both he  AND the players have shown they are more than good enough to make top 4 and if we dont it is a dismal failure on their part given where we got to and how we dropped out. Only thing that would save them if that happens is to win the CL.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Best scenario win the FA Cup and the CL, worst scenario lose the FA Cup, CL and lose or draw both remaining PL games. Maybe something in the middle happens but hopefully not the scenario from Conte's second season where we failed to get CL but won the FA Cup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

@Dean I stated my belief a season finished with no top 4 OR the CL won would be a dismal failure and I stand by that.

You can lose finals, a bad game by key players, bad luck, Anthony Taylor etc etc. 

However the key point in that statement is the OR part.

Top 4 has been in our hands for some time, we put ourselves 3rd before Arsenal and now we are in real danger of missing out. Why? Because TT and the team took pish sides like Arsenal and WBA lightly and we got punished.

Both he  AND the players have shown they are more than good enough to make top 4 and if we dont it is a dismal failure on their part given where we got to and how we dropped out. Only thing that would save them if that happens is to win the CL.

Fair enough Axman. The way I see it is - many thought he and the squad weren’t good enough. That they have proven they are, as you also acknowledge, is a success in itself, regardless of how the rest of the season pans out. It bodes really well for next season. And if if the current season does end in tears, and we don’t make the CL, how about this for a silver lining: we win the league next season!

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dean said:

Fair enough Axman. The way I see it is - many thought he and the squad weren’t good enough. That they have proven they are, as you also acknowledge, is a success in itself, regardless of how the rest of the season pans out. It bodes really well for next season. And if if the current season does end in tears, and we don’t make the CL, how about this for a silver lining: we win the league next season!

Winning the league while in the Europa would mean we need to play a second string in all Europa games imo. Not sure we would do that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, after this week results there's too much doom and gloom in the air as if Liverpool were undefeated the whole season and didn't just draw with Newcastle a game before. Yes, they may win all their remaining games (and so do we, who would've thought?), but they're 5th atm for a reason, and that's results against bottom feeder, very similar to ourselves with TT actually. 

Now I won't jinx us predicting anything, it's the final countdown and just about everything could happen in the next few weeks, but I'm excited as hell for this ending of the season! It could end in major success or a major letdown and thus we proceed to another crazy transfer window and revaluate the squad according to these last results... anyway... Let's go Chelsea! 

final countdown GIF

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, reparto corse said:

Definitely nerve wrecking games ahead. Who would have thought that we were going to experience such an exciting end to the season a couple of months ago? Tuchel really did a fantastic job. 

He really has, and now he needs to finish it in a fantastic way as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate to say this but not optimistic at all.  We've had our chances.  1 out of 9 points at home vs. WBA, Brighton and Arsenal will hold us back.  The damage was done earlier.

Real test for this Chelsea team.  They are incredibly talented, but just not sure some of them have the balls to be serial winners.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!