Chelsea v Leicester (PL) Tues 18th May 2021 20:15 GMT

coco

Impressive 6 pointer a while since i have seen us fight for a match and it looked a fast and bruising encounter.

• Saw the first half and first 5 mins and last 10 mins of the 2nd so my comments will miss some points.
  • Great to have Mendy back in goal for me a big difference.
  • James at CB plays well again and looked more comfortable today.
  • Azpi was better too and involved in a lot of the forward support play.
  • Rudiger was impressive supporting the play and not getting booked in all the handbag stuff and importantly in the right place to get the goal.
  • Didn't notice Silva too much except that missed header in the first yet he always seemed to be in the right position.
  • Jorginho played well today not just sideways passes yet incisive forward passes as well.
  • Kante did well to support the play and had the best chance of the first forcing Schmiecal into a diving save.
  • Chilwell was good too yet is so one footed when he cuts inside he is likely to be dispossessed if he doesn't not get rid of quickly. He made the most of the fouls too.
  • Timo - one hell of a match, seems to have a habit of scoring off-side goals yet not clear chances, perhaps a pyscho can explain that. He must have duracells for breakfast as he did not stop running and that was important later on to give us a rest from Leicester's attacks. Worse headed miss and worse overhead kick I've seen for some time yet has a good attitude.
  • I wasn't sure about the Timo penalty claim, he does not touch the ball and that is key for me. 
  • Pulisic played ok, yet never reached the highs of last season for me. When he receives the ball with a CB on him, he does not possess the strength or perhaps guile to get past his man. He had a chance with just one defender in front of him, one shimmy and crack on goal with his Left was on. He bottled it and got dispossessed.... some of his recent shooting has been off, perhaps now looking for a runner. 
  • Mount deserves Man of the Match award for me was great in the first and a worrying moment when he went down.
  • Kova did well for his first comeback appearance blended straight back in and for me we looked a bit better balanced too.

Liked TT's subs today, kept the momentum and threat to the end.

30 minutes ago, just said:

...... needs to work on his heading, his control and learn the off-side rule.

A busy summer for Werner.

😂 though for some reason (could it be blind faith?) i do still think he will be a big hit 

6 minutes ago, just said:

Problem is Loz when he gets a decent chance it ends up in row Z.

Werner when he's onside:

E1cdxunXMAMQoK9?format=jpg&name=large

Werner when he's offside:

EVEoM37X0AAYrws?format=jpg&name=small

OK jokes aside if he improves his finishing he'll be close to unplayable but it looks like a long road like you said.

30 minutes ago, Nibs said:

Think people are putting City on a pedestal. They are a great team but they had their real purple patch but haven't looked anything like as good since and we can match them.

I'm sure they've been resting key players but hopefully that will lose them momentum. If we play at our best we WILL beat them and lift the CL.

Yeah agree broadly. They/Pep blow hot and cold. I think we will be better than them next season. Still can’t shake the feeling they will win the CL final though... in a painful way for us... pens?

There's going to be a bit of rivalry between us and Leicester but it won't last long cause they will be back to their historical mid table no marks again in the next few years. On a sidenote after just watching MOTD and I will post it on the relevant thread but I absolutely despise Pep so smug and the football media fawn over the greasy prick.

19 minutes ago, just said:

I was cheering and shouting at Jorginho to stick the nut on Ndidi.

Or Mike Dean.

I was actually hoping someone may bash Amartey's head in, being that this twat had the audacity to get involved after all that happened in the Cup finalk aftermath. If you watch it again you'll notice Silva and others recognizing the c**t and getting in his face, then Alonso, Ziyech and others getting involved.

The only thing missing was Emerson quietly sneaking behind Amartey and breaking his kneecaps. Emerson isn't going to play this season anyway, might as well  take one for the team, do one good thing all season and get suspended, no big deal.

41 minutes ago, loz said:

Hats off to Rudiger tonight. Personified the 'get your act together c**ts' that is much needed. 

Yes indeed,should be captain. I would be scared of him if i played in the same team🙂

58 minutes ago, Snedger said:

I’m not. We can probably scrape the win against Villa, but I saw nothing at all tonight to make me think we will beat City.

Citeh didn't look all that great today.

F* Leicester, rub in our face after a lucky cup game, deserved what they got today. F* Var and the f* hiding behind them, only check what they wanted to check, tried everything today to f* us over. We played our hearts out today, should have been 3-4 before they had a sniff, and their goal was from a foul, but of course VAR not interested in just like Saturday. One more game to get the job done, against a "small" team, wouldn't go overboard right now. Need the best team and a performance like this on Sunday to get it done.

Interesting to see Guardiola losing it at the end of the BHA game when the result didn't go his way and having a go at arguably the most dignified manager in the PL who has to endure multiple setbacks. Typical of the man and it's about time the media stopped fawning over him.

On ESPN they are taking the piss out of Marriner. But it is no joke when the ref so blatantly fails his duty of honest refereeing. This was not a mistake or misjudgement, this was a pure example of corruption in sport and he should be publicly flogged, tarred and feathered and banned from football for life. 

3 hours ago, bluedave said:

I assumed it was because James is better suited to deal with Vardy‘s pace. Silva and Azpi are not the quickest.

Seems fairly logical doesn't it? I don't get the uproar over that decision personally.

Maybe an argument could be made that we opt for CHO at RWB over Azpi due to his lack of pace? Overall it does make sense IMO to have James at CB to nullify Vardy‘s strengths.

What a combination of officials we had tonight. Serial offender and Scouse arsehole Dean, fresh from a disgraceful performance on Sunday that should have seen him demoted for incompetence. And Marriner on VAR duty, less than a week after denying us 3 pens. And together they combine to give probably the craziest decision of the season.

I wonder what will happen to them as a result of this.

2 hours ago, charierre said:

Better still just let Burnley beat the Scousers

For the CL final it's probably better for us that they don't. 

We've seen in City's recent games that their competitive sharpness is not there, they've been practically playing friendly's since PSG, it won't be easy to suddenly turn that on in Porto.

This is a real advantage we need to make us of, and the more do or die games we play the bigger the advantage we've got. It's a massive leveller to them being the better team in my opinion.

Btw, on the subject of that Amartey prick throwing our emblem away, maybe I've missed, but shouldn't the F.A. be fining the player due to a blatant disrespect towards another club and/or football's protocol? I mean, why bother exchanging flags before the game if somebody is just going to wipe his ass with it?

I don't know, maybe players do that all the time and I'm being too sensitive, but I'd be really disappointed if one of our players showed that amount of disrespect towards an opponent, especially as it was totally unwarranted since there wasn't any bad blood during the game or a long standing rivalry between the teams/fans. 

Am I wrong here?

Get in! We needed that.  Confidence, fight, spirit - one of the most important games since Madrid 🙂

2-1 flattered them.  Few thoughts:

• Still concerned about our inability to score goals from open play.  Is that 36 goals in TTs 28 games?  Not sure how many of those are penalties, corners or FKs, but we must improve in final third
  • Equally as concerned about how little some teams do to score against us.  Today was a gift, Arsenal was a gift, FA Cup final was a wonder strike.  They just all seem to come out of nowhere
  • 3 points!

10 minutes ago, PhilH930 said:

🙂

• Equally as concerned about how little some teams do to score against us.  Today was a gift, Arsenal was a gift, FA Cup final was a wonder strike.  They just all seem to come out of nowhere

I wouldn't be too concerned about this. To me it shows that we're dealing with every sort of strategy our opponents come up with it and that it takes some major blunder or wonderstrike to score against us. 

Obviously slip ups happen now and then, they just happened to be very close to one another in this particular run of games and maybe could've been avoided with less rotation, a match fit Kova, Mendy on goal for Tielemans goal, etcetera... It's impossible to completely nullify our opponents, but we're doing a great job at it. 

With 2 games to go, surely no room for rotation now. There's little wrong with the performance tonight, we all wanted a reaction after Saturday and we got one. Just being plain unlucky in front of goals, and if VAR did have a closer look at the Werner hand ball, pretty sure he got a push in the back so the ball came off the hand. The first half penalty was obvious, who the f* could decide that's NOT a clear error, if in doubt, check it, just like every other United PK shout. The play out of back is a double edged sword, especially when opponents are pressing high. It wasn't a good touch, but Kovacic clearly wasn't aware where he's at the time, much due to lack of match fitness and sharpness. Add up few of those unlucky factors, could change the game. It would have been day light robbery had they scored, more concerned about lack of defending and track back for the Perez miss, Kovacic was not even in the frame. Nice to see a bit of fight at the end, if a Chelsea player did the same disrespectful act , pretty sure be a fine, suspension and an apology demanded. Rogers, who had his career kick started at Chelsea, did or said nothing, just show the true color of the man. Small time Mof*ers