Chelsea v Leicester (PL) Tues 18th May 2021 20:15 GMT

coco

What a great night at the bridge. Full crowds haven’t made as much noise as the 8000 of us tonight. That’s the standard as far as making an atmosphere is concerned. If we can make that noise with 4/5ths of the ground empty, what difference could a full stadium make?

As for top 4, it’s not done yet. Villa will be tough as they will have their fans behind them on Sunday...but we have put it back in our hands again, that’s the main thing. 

Well what an energy filled game that was.

Again Tìmo scores a beauty when offside.

How does VAR not correct Dean and gove us that blatant pen in the first half?

Dean was gutted when VAR told him that "foul" was inside the box for pur second half pen, had he known that he never would have given a foul.

James passes to Kova who is fouled and loses the ball, we concede. All James fault who is now "overratted"

Zouma plays the ball to Jorgi who has 3 men on him and plays a bad pass for the own goal. Only Jorgis and Kepas fault. Make up your minds people.

Apart from mounts first half, pur forwards were rubbish.

Thankfully Nididi messed up his clearance on our first goal and Perez pulled a Werner to save our backsides.

Job done, far from convincing though.

Finally wonderful having the fans back at the bridge. Great job guys and gals 👍

8 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Well what an energy filled game that was.

Again Tìmo scores a beauty when offside.

How does VAR not correct Dean and gove us that blatant pen in the first half?

Dean was gutted when VAR told him that "foul" was inside the box for pur second half pen, had he known that he never would have given a foul.

James passes to Kova who is fouled and loses the ball, we concede. All James fault who is now "overratted"

Zouma plays the ball to Jorgi who has 3 men on him and plays a bad pass for the own goal. Only Jorgis and Kepas fault. Make up your minds people.

Apart from mounts first half, pur forwards were rubbish.

Thankfully Nididi messed up his clearance on our first goal and Perez pulled a Werner to save our backsides.

Job done, far from convincing though.

Finally wonderful having the fans back at the bridge. Great job guys and gals 👍

We play this risky game passing it out from the back most of the time and when it goes wrong it is so costly. But the ball from James was good enough and Kovacic had actually come into space and was wanting the ball. But he wasn't quick enough. Touch looked rusty all night and that was down to him, not James, who I felt had a good game, hence Vardy hardly having a kick last night.

Posted (edited)

Huh, that was close in the end. Overall a very good performance from us. Werner and Mount up front were very lively and good. Pulisic on the other hand has been a big disappointment the whole season and yesterday was no exception to this. Playing Kovacic was a huge risk and a little bit strange decision. He clearly was not match fit yet which resulted for instance to Leicester's goal. I don't understand why Billy was totally left out while we had two strikers and two LBs on the bench. Our CB trio was very impressive, Rudiger being number one on the pitch. I also think that playing Azpi and Reece James this way is a good decision. 

Edited by JPH
typo

6 hours ago, Amputechture said:

Seems fairly logical doesn't it? I don't get the uproar over that decision personally.

Maybe an argument could be made that we opt for CHO at RWB over Azpi due to his lack of pace? Overall it does make sense IMO to have James at CB to nullify Vardy‘s strengths.

Unfortunately, I think there are still certain posters here who will bitch about every single decision Tuchel makes because he’s not Frank Lampard.

I thought Azpi has a decent enough game at wingback as well, although I hope to see James and Azpi restored to their usual positions for the next match.

I'd love to see those muppets in the VAR room actually accountable for what they do. All it needs is for someone to ask them to explain why was that first kick on Wener is not a penalty and they'd fall flat on their faces.

If they are that inept at their sole job they shouldn't be doing it. VAR should be a group of ex professionals not a bunch of blind men with an agenda to promote Liverpool to a free top four finish.

I thought Chilwell had a good game. Seemed up for it. Great team performance though. 

The goals have dried up though so we need to find a way to get them going again. 

2 hours ago, Nibs said:

We play this risky game passing it out from the back most of the time and when it goes wrong it is so costly. But the ball from James was good enough and Kovacic had actually come into space and was wanting the ball. But he wasn't quick enough. Touch looked rusty all night and that was down to him, not James, who I felt had a good game, hence Vardy hardly having a kick last night.

I didn't want to say it earlier this week just incase but Vardy is absolutely finished as a top player.

Brendan gave us an absolute gift starting him over Iheanacho and then taking Maddison off instead of him.

1 hour ago, bluedave said:

Unfortunately, I think there are still certain posters here who will bitch about every single decision Tuchel makes because he’s not Frank Lampard.

I thought Azpi has a decent enough game at wingback as well, although I hope to see James and Azpi restored to their usual positions for the next match.

Putting James at CB completely takes away his strengths and what he brings to the team. He`s best joining the attach, pushing back the opposition wingers/full back because they have to defend his runs. Azpi doesnt do any of that, which means the opposition basically get to attack down the left at will, like last night. It makes no sense at all. If he wants to play James at centre back for some reason then put an attacking Left back in too.

1 hour ago, Luca Vialli said:

If they are that inept at their sole job they shouldn't be doing it. VAR should be a group of ex professionals not a bunch of blind men with an agenda to promote Liverpool to a free top four finish.

But you can guarantee those ex professionals will all be ex liverpool and utd players plus Ian Wright chucked in as a token gesture for arsenal

Posted (edited)

Why did we play a first half of extra time yesterday ?

First Dean showed 5 minutes of additional time and then he stopped the game in the 99th minute. I think he wanted to play until midnight and Leicester scores the equalizer.

Edited by TheGermanOne

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Valerie said:

I'm trying a new tack: white socks, yay!

Always good to quote oneself.

I feel we've turned a corner. Now if we can only avoid wearing next seaon's kit, let's say all through next season, then silverware is guaranteed. 

A bit of energy and urgency like last night wouldn't go amiss either, I admit. Well done Chels, let's wrap up with a win against Villa. Surely agent Terry will help us along? 

Edited by Valerie

55 minutes ago, dkw said:

Azpi doesnt do any of that, which means the opposition basically get to attack down the left at will, like last night.

Who even played on the left for Leicester? 
Because if I remember correctly it was Luke Thomas with Maddison inside in James's space and neither of them had a sniff in my view.

Thought it worked extremely well because we dominated Leicester to such an extent that Reece James was basically playing as a midfielder. Pushed up and central and Leicester couldn't escape the pressure at all which lead to us racking up chance after chance.

Also have a feeling Tuchel have done it in preperation for the final. James got a better chance of keeping up with Foden in that inside space between wingback and RCB than Azpi would in my view. Got the pace, the power and also the ability to push up in midfield better than Azpi to suffocate our opponent. 

2 hours ago, Luca Vialli said:

I'd love to see those muppets in the VAR room actually accountable for what they do. All it needs is for someone to ask them to explain why was that first kick on Wener is not a penalty and they'd fall flat on their faces.

They decided that this is a foul from Werner. Interesting point of view.

59 minutes ago, dkw said:

Putting James at CB completely takes away his strengths and what he brings to the team. He`s best joining the attach, pushing back the opposition wingers/full back because they have to defend his runs. Azpi doesnt do any of that, which means the opposition basically get to attack down the left at will, like last night. It makes no sense at all. If he wants to play James at centre back for some reason then put an attacking Left back in too.

I also prefer to see James at wing back, but I don't think yesterday's selection is as nonsensical as people are making out. I just hope Tuchel made the decision specifically to nullify Vardy, which seemed to work, and this doesn't become the norm against other teams.

7 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Who even played on the left for Leicester? 
Because if I remember correctly it was Luke Thomas with Maddison inside in James's space and neither of them had a sniff in my view.

Thought it worked extremely well because we dominated Leicester to such an extent that Reece James was basically playing as a midfielder. Pushed up and central and Leicester couldn't escape the pressure at all which lead to us racking up chance after chance.

Also have a feeling Tuchel have done it in preperation for the final. James got a better chance of keeping up with Foden in that inside space between wingback and RCB than Azpi would in my view. Got the pace, the power and also the ability to push up in midfield better than Azpi to suffocate our opponent. 

In all honesty. I would prefer Christensen in the RCB position and James in the RWB  position in the UCl Final but I don't think Tuchel will want to bench his captain

4 hours ago, Nibs said:

Yeah we conceded because of Kovacic first touch, he didn't cushion it and it got away from him.