Aston Villa v Chelsea (PL) Sun 23rd May 2021 16:00 GMT

coco

38 minutes ago, Lang7 said:

This is the forgotten problem from finishing 5th. Seriously diminishes our chances of attracting the very best, regardless of what cash we have.

Well we got away with it today, another season and we would have failed miserably. Some teams that finished below us also had shocking seasons, the reality is had this been a normal season we'd likely finish 6th or 7th.  

1 minute ago, doctorblue said:

Got to say Tuchel got the team selection wrong again today...no way Jourinho should have been near that squad and why was Dave playing? James and CHO were the better option...now we're going to miss Dave for the opening 3 games of the next season...Tuchel needs to learn quick...

2 points. 1. On selection. Maybe but most were happy with the selection. 2. He made pretty radical changes in the second half essentially getting rid of the midfield. That was pretty bold and it nearly worked.  

1 minute ago, Sindre said:

Utter domination.

Bit of a farce that only Chilwell could get the ball over the line.

At least we all know where we need to strengthen in the summer. Securing Champions League was hugely important in bringing in the quality we need.

That's basically our season summed up. Dominate them, not scoring and then conceding a flukey goal or a stupid and avoidable penalty . At least it's very apparent what needs to be changed next season and getting CL football will make that much easier.

2 minutes ago, forbzy said:

If Tammy had been given the amount of starts that Werner has had he would have finished in double figures for sure. He scored 6 league goals despite barely featuring in the second half of the season. The club invested big money in Werner and Havertz last summer. It is their failure to score goals that has ultimately got us discussing striker options again. I think Havertz will improve over time. Not so sure about 

Maybe who knows.I really fancied Werner would be the business. Very disappointed in him. The fact we lost the FAC final and  qualified for CL courtesy of Rottenham just about sums the season up

3 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Utter domination.

At least we all know where we need to strengthen in the summer. Securing Champions League was hugely important in bringing in the quality we need.

I wish people would stop looking at xG as if it holds value. You don’t need a fake stat to represent how a game “should” have gone - the ball either goes in the net or it doesn’t.

5 minutes ago, doctorblue said:

Got to say Tuchel got the team selection wrong again today...no way Jourinho should have been near that squad and why was Dave playing? James and CHO were the better option...now we're going to miss Dave for the opening 3 games of the next season...Tuchel needs to learn quick...

I appreciate everything that Dave has done for the club, but now he needs a rocking chair and a blanket on his lap to watch the game on the telly in comfort.

Just now, Scott Harris said:

Made a blunder that ultimately cost us the game.........but oh well, he did well enough before that so no biggy 😐Is this where we are now? He is making mistakes that cost us points, but because he is doing his usual passing game, it's not a big deal? We'll never catch the top teams like this. It doesn't matter how good of a game you are having, if your mistakes are costing your team points, then you're a problem. 

Also, stop pretending that Jorginho is the only one getting stick. Pulisic has been heavily criticised all game and Werner has been getting criticised all season. If you give away a penalty that puts the game out of reach, then of course the fingers are going to be pointed at you.

He has cost us atleast 3 games this season.. all winnable games.. this despite not starting so many... to be champions you cant lose more than 4-5 games a season... which tells me he is NOT GOOD ENOUGH.. having said that Kovacic was very poor today.. till the time we need to play these two together.. Top 4 is all we can achieve.. 

5 minutes ago, abigsmurf said:

I find it embarrassing we had to rely on Spurs.

We've a team full of attacking players all hoping that someone else will step up and score.

Happens from time to time. Sometimes even the best teams need a favour somewhere. A fluke goal, a lucky deflection or opponents missing an open goal all are part of luck that teams need at some point. Needing other teams to lose is also part of it.

Just now, Nick05 said:

Happens from time to time. Sometimes even the best teams need a favour somewhere. A fluke goal, a lucky deflection or opponents missing an open goal all are part of luck that teams need at some point. Needing other teams to lose is also part of it.

i think more than us Leicester bottled it.. They could have drawn against us.. and then they were wininng with 20 mins to spare.. but not happy with this performance. or our league campaign...

The one thing that annoys me most about this team is why does absolutely no one take any players on? Haverts seems to be the only one that’s capable of dribbling through players? Pulisic is just a wider placed Werner? Maybe I’ve just drunk to much 🥴 

A strange one today.

Ref should have awarded us a penalty against Mings for handball.
The Red against Azpi was bizarre I thought we had won the free-kick.

A number of players making basic errors, Mount's shooting, James mis-passes, Pulisic poor in the first half, Kova also poor a times. Jorgy giving away the penalty.

We looked better in the 2nd yet after going 2-0 up they went more defensive.

We looked better with Havertz playing and Werner today was a waste, no good against a packed defense.

TT got undone a little be the Mendy injury as one less sub.

Chilwell, Silva and Rudiger played well not many others.

Villa good on the set pieces and it would be a Chelsea old boy too.

I said we would get 4th though a disappointing way to achieve it and I said Kane and Bale would be up for it and looks like they were, so we have the Spuds to thank...

2 minutes ago, Zero said:

That's basically our season summed up. Dominate them, not scoring and then conceding a flukey goal or a stupid and avoidable penalty . At least it's very apparent what needs to be changed next season and getting CL football will make that much easier.

No guarantee though, just look at us this season after finishing 4th last season. None of the attacking players we signed have improved us, we have scored 11 goals fewer than last season. 

4 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Utter domination.

Speaks volumes, finishing is absolutely atrocious. Jorginho and Kova had bad games, but you cant really on the defence to bail out the attack all season long. 

Villa win without creating anything really, 1st goal was poor marking but it was a poor shot scuffed in under the bar, and a softish penalty. 

Compare that to the Mount miss in the 1st half, and the Havertz miss in the 2nd.

Not sure whether the answer is new personnel, although a top stiker obviously helps, most of these attackers have shown good composure at their previous clubs. 

10 minutes ago, doctorblue said:

Dave shouldn’t be anywhere near the starting squad any longer, if there is any money left ideally we sign proper competition for James at RB as I have my doubts.

So how is it now, better to win the FA Cup like Leicester or better to get top 4 by celebrating a Spurs win? This has been a very hard season and it's not over yet, this match was very painful to watch so I hope Tuchel plays Kante from the start in the CL final, win it and then buy Haaland and Ndidi/Rice and some CB as good as T.Silva.

6 minutes ago, Jangz said:

which is quite worrying if i am honest.. Next season has to 4 at the back.. look how fluid we looked .. could have scored 3-4 in those 30 mins..  We just scraped through not good enough this season had to be better..

We looked fluid but we don't have anybody in the starting 11 who knows how to score regularly. If we are going to improve on this next season we will probably need to replace some of the expensive signings we made last summer with more expensive signings this summer. Then hope that it works this time around. The misfiring signings failed to score regularly under 2 different managers and systems. So that suggests they are just not good enough. Blame goes to the board and scouting in that case.

1 minute ago, Scott Harris said:

No guarantee though, just look at us this season after finishing 4th last season. None of the attacking players we signed have improved us, we have scored 11 goals fewer than last season. 

Well yeah, but that's because...errmm... you see...errmm... yeah...

I got nothing.

1 minute ago, Gol15 said:

So how is it now, better to win the FA Cup like Leicester or better to get top 4 by celebrating a Spurs win? This has been a very hard season and it's not over yet, this match was very painful to watch so I hope Tuchel plays Kante from the start in the CL final, win it and then buy Haaland and Ndidi/Rice and some CB as good as T.Silva.

Best to wait until after next weekend before we make the final assessment. Given the position we were in a few weeks ago after beating Madrid, I'd say it would be a massive disappointment if our remaining highlight was celebrating 4th thanks to a Spurs win.