Aston Villa v Chelsea (PL) Sun 23rd May 2021 16:00 GMT

coco

Well, ugly, but we made the Top 4. Tuchel 38 points from his 19 games and Lampard 29. Not a huge swing. Tuchel had some big wins (Man City, Liverpool and Leicester) but some lame losses (WBA, Arsenal and Villa). A win today and 41 points from Tuchel would have looked a lot better. 

When Lampard was sacked, we ALL would have taken Top 4 no matter now. If today’s matches were mid March, Leicester loss and our loss, no one would have put much emphasis on it, but it was the last Sunday of the year so it was frustrating.

Give Tuchel a top striker and I think things are different. Much better team. 

Hope Mendy is all set and ready for next Saturday.

We don’t look like a Champions League Final team at the moment, but you never know.

Come on you Chelsea!!

I think Tuchel did an amazing job.. he went for safety first this season.. would be interesting to see next season with a pre-season. Tuchel has been known to play an attacking game.. Hopefully we see a new look team next season..

23 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

CL was the aim. 

I dread the final though, we will be thrashed. 

Summer clear out and get a bloody striker in

Shame it wasn't in style and more relying on a dogs breakfast performance by others..

1 minute ago, forbzy said:

We looked fluid but we don't have anybody in the starting 11 who knows how to score regularly. If we are going to improve on this next season we will probably need to replace some of the expensive signings we made last summer with more expensive signings this summer. Then hope that it works this time around. The misfiring signings failed to score regularly under 2 different managers and systems. So that suggests they are just not good enough. Blame goes to the board and scouting in that case.

They'll come good, I think we need a Fernandes type midfielder to get us ticking, Kova and Jorginho just aren't that. Even James and Mount was better, apart from the few mistakes James made at first before settling in!!

2 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

So how is it now, better to win the FA Cup like Leicester or better to get top 4 by celebrating a Spurs win? This has been a very hard season and it's not over yet, this match was very painful to watch so I hope Tuchel plays Kante from the start in the CL final, win it and then buy Haaland and Ndidi/Rice and some CB as good as T.Silva.

Of course he will play Kante. The question wil Kante be 100% against city? 

19 minutes ago, TJB said:

Well that was sh*te but thankfully leciester are bigger bottlers than we are. 

We need a summer of 2014 type transfer window this summer, get a proper midfielder and a proper striker in. 

But I'm still oddly confident we can beat City next week. We're far better against those type teams than the smaller teams like villa and arsenal 

That would be the same  'Leciester'  who beat us in the FA Cup FInal just last week would it  ?  Yeh, real bottlers.

I think we have done really well this season considering how we nosedived under Lamps and also considering that our squad is so unbalanced - we either have very young, naive and too eager boys or too old struggling old timers. And we carry too much dead wood - the usual suspects who perform once a fortnight with just enough effort not to be kicked out in the cold.

Tuchel is doing fine, but somebody must tell him that he tends to outsmart himself.

It looks like we are going to invest smart this summer, so hopefully next season will bestow us with silverware.

11 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:

Well we got away with it today, another season and we would have failed miserably. Some teams that finished below us also had shocking seasons, the reality is had this been a normal season we'd likely finish 6th or 7th.  

I get where you're coming from, but honestly we've been saying the exact same thing for a few seasons now. We've not been up to our usual standards in Roman's era, but barring City, the 2010 decade has been full of teams struggling to get consistency in the league. Even United, which was almost unthinkable during Ferguson's reign. 

We sure as hell made our lifes difficult at times, but hopefully we'll hit our stride and a little bit of stability after what's been years of "transition" to a possession system. 

I'm not going to call them bottlers, but there is an issue with lack of leaders in this team. We've always had multiple leaders to look toward when we were in the sh*t. Whether it was to drive the team on or to get us a goal to turn a game in our favour when we needed it.

Jorginho in particular is not the answer for us, I like Kovacic but he doesn't offer enough in terms of final ball or getting us a goal.

Honestly Ziyech, isn't going to do it for us, far too lightweight in terms of his application, no will in him to work for the team, which at least is a trait you can't accuse Timo of. Talking of Timo, I'm not sure where we go with him, maybe the 2nd season might be where we see what he is all about, simarlarly with Havertz.

Chilwell had his best offensive game for us, he looked forward at most opportunities.

Tuchel, the team and all of us got lucky today, personally this was a game for Tammy and Billy. If he doesn't start showing Gilmour in particular some faith, he will rightfully move on and we will lose one of what I consider to be  the best prospects in midfield in Europe.

and breathe......

1 minute ago, WeatherMan said:

That would be the same  'Leciester'  who beat us in the FA Cup FInal just last week would it  ?  Yeh, real bottlers.

Well ya, they bottled it. First time out of the top 4 all season when we beat them and then lost at home

1 minute ago, WeatherMan said:

Oh no! I made a spelling mistake! So sorry teacher!

If missing out on top 4 the way they have 2 seasons in a row doesn't count as bottling it I don't know what does. 

Just now, Gol15 said:

a 70% Kante is good enough for me.

Yeah a 70% Kante is still a Kante who doesn’t flap on the floor waiting for a foul whilst the other team break like his 2 compatriots 

2 minutes ago, Jangz said:

He has cost us atleast 3 games this season.. all winnable games.. this despite not starting so many... to be champions you cant lose more than 4-5 games a season... which tells me he is NOT GOOD ENOUGH.. having said that Kovacic was very poor today.. till the time we need to play these two together.. Top 4 is all we can achieve.. 

Jorginho and Kovacic always give teams too many chances. Kovacic has given the ball away 3 times in the last 3 games that have all ended up in big chances for the opposition, its just poor finishing or luck that they haven't gone in the back of the net. The only difference between his mistakes and Jorginho's right now is that Jorginho's mistakes are being punished. 

It's not good enough from either of them and so much of our game is built around them, especially Jorginho. We have built a team around a player that is more likely to cost us points than anything else. We need a dominant midielder, enough of this tikki takka bullsh*t that is getting us nowhere. It's made us soft.

Thanks Tottenham, egh feels bad.

What a terribly disappointing season from us and so many teams, No one takes responsibility in the final third and we look goal shy every game. Please not more of the same next season it's genuinely horrible to watch us dominate the ball but do nothing with it.

So many mindset changes needed.

1 minute ago, Brigadeiro said:

I get where you're coming from, but honestly we've been saying the exact same thing for a few seasons now. We've not been up to our usual standards in Roman's era, but barring City, the 2010 decade has been full of teams struggling to get consistency in the league. Even United, which was almost unthinkable during Ferguson's reign. 

We sure as hell made our lifes difficult at times, but hopefully we'll hit our stride and a little bit of stability after what's been years of "transition" to a possession system. 

It's the Chelsea way....but somehow we seem to pull it off

Of all the clubs it's f**king Spurs that bailed us out, their fans must be livid at the moment haha

BUT - Arsenal at home, the FA Cup Final, this one at Villa Park, absolutely spineless performances, never been more disappointed with this club than I am now after this particular matches.

Eleven random fans picked out of this forum would have shown more passion in these last games even if they were to lose 12-0. 

Just now, Carloseyebrow said:

I'm not going to call them bottlers, but there is an issue with lack of leaders in this team. We've always had multiple leaders to look toward when we were in the sh*t. Whether it was to drive the team on or to get us a goal to turn a game in our favour when we needed it.

I really don't understand this leader non sense. No we don't need freaking leader, we need our player to score goals. That is our problem. 

If we are entirely happy finishing in 4th the way we did, think of the poor Everton fans....so much promise in the first half of the season with a great chance of getting into a top 4 spot and totally bottled it in the 2nd half despite the number of games in hand they had.

Posted (edited)

Pretty naff result but we've got Top 4, never thought I'd say this but thank you Spurs.

What worries me though is that this should've been a wake up call, but then I couldve said that about the Arsenal and Leicester games, we've had way too many so called "Wake Up calls" and I truly hope by the time the final roles around we'll pull something out the bag.

Mendy getting injured worries me, but the Kepa we had last season isn't the same we had now, that being said I'm still bracing myself for a final defeat.

Seems to me we've been limping towards the finishing line for the last month now, both Tuchel and the players could do with a preseason.

That being said, some players are just simply not good enough, we cannot for the life of us capitalise on our chances. We need a deep creative midfield and a competent striker.

Edited by TomCFC85

8 minutes ago, forbzy said:

We looked fluid but we don't have anybody in the starting 11 who knows how to score regularly. If we are going to improve on this next season we will probably need to replace some of the expensive signings we made last summer with more expensive signings this summer. Then hope that it works this time around. The misfiring signings failed to score regularly under 2 different managers and systems. So that suggests they are just not good enough. Blame goes to the board and scouting in that case.

Timmo next season will own the league i have faith in him.. strikers like him are very streaky players.. i am not so sure abt ziyech and pulisic.. after last season pulisic has regressed.. while ziyech looked better only when we play a back 4... mount needs to do better with his chances.. if he wants to be the one of the best.. i would have seen us be 2nd or 3rd so overall quite disappointed by this season if i am honest...

Just now, Bob stark said:

I really don't understand this leader non sense. No we don't need freaking leader, we need our player to score goals. That is our problem. 

I think we will have to agree to differ. I absolutely believe in leaders on a pitch when things are not going your way.

To call it nonsense to me is wrong.