Aston Villa v Chelsea (PL) Sun 23rd May 2021 16:00 GMT

coco

Why are we getting such crap refs these days. Grealish spent the first 20 mins trying to wind us up. 3 off the ball challenges and wan**r Atwell just warned him each time. First challenge from us was a booking. Then there was their pen v our non pen (great save from Mings) and Grealish acting for the red card. This donkey shouldn’t be reffing at any level. No excuses for our poor finishing but felt we were up against 12 men today. 

1 minute ago, Petworth Chelsea Fan said:

Why are we getting such crap refs these days. Grealish spent the first 20 mins trying to wind us up. 3 off the ball challenges and wan**r Atwell just warned him each time. First challenge from us was a booking. Then there was their pen v our non pen (great save from Mings) and Grealish acting for the red card. This donkey shouldn’t be reffing at any level. No excuses for our poor finishing but felt we were up against 12 men today. 

Hear hear!

1 hour ago, forbzy said:

If Tammy had been given the amount of starts that Werner has had he would have finished in double figures for sure. He scored 6 league goals despite barely featuring in the second half of the season. The club invested big money in Werner and Havertz last summer. It is their failure to score goals that has ultimately got us discussing striker options again. I think Havertz will improve over time. Not so sure about Werner.

I love Tammy bit how many goals Werner has made? Have you ever tried to count his assists and penalty wins?

5 minutes ago, haidertalal said:

I love Tammy bit how many goals Werner has made? Have you ever tried to count his assists and penalty wins?

It's nice that he can assist, but that was not what he was bought in to do. His lack of goals have set us back this year, we have scored 11 fewer than last season. He is right up there for being one of the main reasons why we're no closer to winning a title this season.

26 minutes ago, mojo said:

man, this is beyond ridiculous and Thomas is finally speaking out about it. counting the days he'll be charged.

asdasd6f25b9bbb3102482.gif

dsadasd.gif

Mendy hurt his rib so that is f**king sh*ty news!

Thought that might be it. If it’s cracked he’s gone for the final. 
It’s looking more and more likely it’s going to be our year.

At the moment where this team is and for our new coach, its more important that we made the top 4 instead of how we made it. Every team have their moments of luck and here we see people complaining that we got lucky!

Newsflash - you dont win every game, sometimes you lose playing well, sometimes you win playing sh*t.

Top 4 looked impossible when we looked done as a team in 9th place. Its a great recovery to finish 4th no matter how we did it.

21 minutes ago, haidertalal said:

Werner has come up with a few assists but we have other players who could have done the same. He was signed as striker first and foremost and has failed to deliver. That is a big reason why we have scored significantly fewer goals this season.

That was absolutely atrocious. Ignoring the tragic officiating, we completely fell apart the minute we went behind. It is of huge concern that we keep bottling these important matches. A Chelsea team that piss away the FA Cup Final (after beating Man City in the semi) seems a bit foreign - it's Arsenal behaviour.

There was some hilarity in the second half with trying to figure out exactly how we were set up. At one point I'm fairly sure we had a midfield of Reece James and Thiago Silva. Not Tuchel's finest hour, and it makes me think that next Sunday we are going to receive the pasting that we by all rights should have received in Munich in 2012.

The front line and the midfield were a complete embarrassment. Pulisic, Werner, Kovacic, Jorginho... yet again we saw that these are players who are not even close to good enough for a team who apparently can reach a Champions League final. Mount gets a pass, not just because he's been our best player by miles this season, but also because he's played about 72 matches this season and is clearly knackered.

Also Grealish can f**k off and f**k off good. c**tery of Alliesque proportions today. Stuart Atwell too. Thank God Leicester bottled it even harder than we did.

7 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

That was absolutely atrocious. Ignoring the tragic officiating, we completely fell apart the minute we went behind. It is of huge concern that we keep bottling these important matches. A Chelsea team that piss away the FA Cup Final (after beating Man City in the semi) seems a bit foreign - it's Arsenal behaviour.

There was some hilarity in the second half with trying to figure out exactly how we were set up. At one point I'm fairly sure we had a midfield of Reece James and Thiago Silva. Not Tuchel's finest hour, and it makes me think that next Sunday we are going to receive the pasting that we by all rights should have received in Munich in 2012.

The front line and the midfield were a complete embarrassment. Pulisic, Werner, Kovacic, Jorginho... yet again we saw that these are players who are not even close to good enough for a team who apparently can reach a Champions League final. Mount gets a pass, not just because he's been our best player by miles this season, but also because he's played about 72 matches this season and is clearly knackered.

Also Grealish can f**k off and f**k off good. c**tery of Alliesque proportions today. Stuart Atwell too. Thank God Leicester bottled it even harder than we did.

Post of the day for me though in my defence I've probably had more to drink than PloKoon13 if that's even possible 🍻

19 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

I cant Repeat on here th profanities i offered on a Whats app chat video chat whilst watching that dirty Bar steward grealish, and that inept reffing display, poor ol Timo, how many black cats has he strangled to get hat amount of bad luck, in the end we got the result, more by luck than endeavour, if we can get Reece to learn to play MF properly , i think he'll be a real asset, passes the ball so crisply, and Chilly had a good game...

32 minutes ago, Nick05 said:

At the moment where this team is and for our new coach, its more important that we made the top 4 instead of how we made it. Every team have their moments of luck and here we see people complaining that we got lucky!

Newsflash - you dont win every game, sometimes you lose playing well, sometimes you win playing sh*t.

Top 4 looked impossible when we looked done as a team in 9th place. Its a great recovery to finish 4th no matter how we did it.

I disagree. This team is constantly relying on other teams to bail them out. If they can't get the job done themselves, then I expect to see more cup final defeats and more top 4 battles for a long time to come.

Just now, Scott Harris said:

I disagree. This team is constantly relying on other teams to bail them out. If they can't get the job done themselves, then I expect to see more cup final defeats and more top 4 battles for a long time to come.

Towards the end we were reliant on luck in the race for Top 4. At least in terms of help from other teams.

In regards to the refs and VAR we were extremely unlucky which should also be taken into account.

But I also believe you are a bit harsh with constantly. Because this young side battled it's way to the CL-final through hard work and determination and it's also pulled out some massive wins at away ground like Tottenham, Etihad, Anfield and West Ham when it mattered the most in the second half of the season.

It's easy to forget I suppose but we have dragged out a lot of massive wins since February. To the players and Tuchels credit.

1 hour ago, mojo said:

man, this is beyond ridiculous and Thomas is finally speaking out about it. counting the days he'll be charged.

dsadasd.gif

Those Vardy penalties and Atwell's performance today make it kind of amazing we ended up in the top four. Bentest of bent refereeing today. 

Posted (edited)

Not that I’m into conspiracy theories but Atwell is from Nuneaton, a town that sits between Birmingham and Leicester. He must know a fair few fans of those teams living in that area. Just saaaaying. Well something has to explain his biased performance. 

Edited by Petworth Chelsea Fan

Can only hope the last few performances were designed to lull City into a false sense of confidence for the final.

I just hope Kante and Mendy are fit for next week or we are screwed.

3 hours ago, WeatherMan said:

100 lines for you 😉. No need to apologise I nearly always spell that teams name wrong.  On a serious note though to their credit  I'd say they are over achieving in many respects when you consider their resources and history.

I'm just disappointed with the way our season is in danger of fizzling out . Face it we were sh*t lucky to get Champions League qualification today thanks to Tottenham of all teams.  The fact their fans must be seething is the one thing that's cheered me up today.

Yeah that's a fair point. Considering the resources of the teams they're competing with its an achievement in itself to be up there in contention on the last day. Must be fairly gutting to see slip away like that 2 years in a row. 

As for us, yeah it's somewhat fizzled out considering how positive everything looked a few weeks ago. But as I said earlier I'm far more confident heading into the city game than I would be against the likes of villa. We've performed much better in the underdog role under tuchel compared to the games we've been expected to win. 

Credit to Gareth Bale and Harry Kane. 

As for our game, it’s a good thing it didn’t matter in the end. Hope Mount, Pulisic and Werner find their shooting boots by next week. The proverbial banjo and cow’s backside come to mind. 

Seen and heard a lot of negativity (not saying here as not read match thread) and don’t understand it. Sure it was disappointing to lose, see some familiar failings and have to rely on that lot, but come on people...back in January we were a shambles. Fourth was a bit of a dream, let alone a cl final.
As per usual the ref was against us today - funny to see Leicester have the decisions go against them and schmeichel fcuk up - karma for the cup final.

shame Liverpool, who match of the day bizarrely made the main story about tonight despite very little happening in their game, sponnily got in the top 4 and finished above us.

mad to see that sh*te arsenal side end up only 6 behind us.

7 hours ago, Deino said:

What separates world class players from good players is leadership quality. To score when the chips are down to make sure the team wins is a leadership quality, to lead by example. In sports, that's what being a leader means.

No idea why you don't get it.

Eden was definitely not a wc player then.He had 0 leadership quality. He didn't take gsmr seriously. He was lazy, freaking lazy both in training and on the field. Yet we were dependent on him to bail us out for years. 

Funny people said we should fix our "leadership" problem by signing Harry Kane. 🤣🤣🤣

I don't see anyone want us to sign Fernandinho, title winning captain. 

Didn't see the game today just watched the highlights on motd.First of all VAR is

ruining the game,I hoped it was brought in to tell whether a ball had crossed the line or not,or whether a sending off was justified or not,but not these wafer thin decisions on offside and the marginal handball decisions that led to a goal!!! IT IS STRANGLING THE GAME.

On a positive note we made it to last four and we can still win the cl(happy days).Napoleon said he would rather have a lucky general than a good one - maybe TT is a lucky general - I would give him until christmas next year but he is driving me insane with his constant selection of Jorginho who is a big fat nothing in midfield imo.

Well what to say about that?

You could say it was a group of players and manager with the biggest match of their careers coming up next week clearly on their mind. You could also point to terrible refs calls again given Traore dived for their "penalty" and VAR did not correct the ref. Not did the fact a ball to hand can deny timo a goal at villa but mings blocking a sure goal from Havertz accidentally also is not a pen. 

You could say Spurs did us, and TT Chelsea career, a huge favour despite conceding 2 pens to dives themselves.

You could say that to be charitable if you want.

Or you could point out how unprofessional we were. How Pulisic managed one good cross when he went to wingback otherwise he could not control a ball to save his life.

You could point out how everything Mount did was poor. How Werner hit an airshot when given a clear shot.

How Jorginho became awful after we went behind, how Kovacic played like a drunk.

Summed up by the first goal today. If you cannot depend on Silva to present a simple corner and then you watch Werner daydream as Traore runs past him to score, you know it is not your day.

8 hours ago, mojo said:

dsadasd.gif

He spoke about it after Leicester. Then what happened? Atwell let Grealish do as he pleased. Bought Traore dive, denied two pens fornus due to handball, the second stopped Haveetz scoring a sure goal.

Then Dave is stupid for lashing out but boy did Grealish sell it.

12 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

When you're down in the dumps in 9th place you need other teams to bail you out at some point.   You're not going to suddenly start playing like peak Barcelona and beat everybody to finish 2nd. 

PSG and Real Madrid would've won their league had Lille and Atletico screwed up. Would their fans say that "Sorry we dont want the title because the other team f**ked up!". 

This team showed their mentality by regrouping so fast and winning big games at difficult opponents. So what we couldn't beat a mid table team. It was just not our day in terms of the result. Happens to everyone!

Basing your judgement on one game is just too harsh.