VAR Protest - May 22 - PL HQ.

Posted (edited)

Hello,

On May 22, outside PL HQ in Paddington, London, a peaceful protest will be held against the use of VAR in Premier League football. This protest is for all football fans. 

VAR has ripped the heart and soul out of the game. It has sacrificed the soul and does not even get decisions correct, there are too many examples of VAR mistakes for me to list on here. 

VAR is also currently calling offside decisions which it cannot definitively call due to frame rates and margin of error. We can not know the goal that was disallowed for Chelsea in the FA cup final was definitively offside. 

Even if VAR did one day "work", it will never work in a way that allows football supporters to experience the raw emotions we used to at football matches. I am happy to answer any questions any users on here have for me.

I do not support a Premier League team, although I have friends who support Chelsea and my grandad was a Chelsea season ticket holder from Kennington. He would be delighted Chelsea are in the CL final I'm sure. 

Mods: Feel free to move or close this thread, I simply wanted to share this with Chelsea supporters, no offence intended to anyone. 

If you can not attend please feel free to sign the petition: https://www.change.org/p/the-premier-league-remove-the-use-of-the-video-assistant-referee-var-from-premier-league-football?recruiter=908392471&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_petition&recruited_by_id=dd1eb300-da22-11e8-9f02-2b214d86d7dc

VAR.jpg

jpeg image for var.JPG

Edited by fansagainstVAR
Extra Image

I'm not for scrapping it as it can rectify errors made the the ref team, but it needs to improve and we need an explanation on why certain decisions are made and why there are inconsistencies.

For me if they want to have it perfect they need to find a way to eliminate the human element in the tech just like goal line technology, but doing that woud be impossible.

Offsides can be solved quite easily by just giving advantage to the attacker, as long as there isn't daylight between the attacker and last defender then rule it onside.

1 minute ago, sonic90 said:

I'm not for scrapping it as it can rectify errors made the the ref team, but it needs to improve and we need an explanation on why certain decisions are made and why there are inconsistencies.

For me if they want to have it perfect they need to find a way to eliminate the human element in the tech just like goal line technology, but doing that woud be impossible.

Offsides can be solved quite easily by just giving advantage to the attacker, as long as there isn't daylight between the attacker and last defender then rule it onside.

Thanks for your response. 

If the rule became daylight we would then have long VAR delays to judge if there was "daylight", it would be slightly better but the problem would persist.

Human error will always be part of the game with or without VAR. It was the worlds favourite sport, comfortably, for 150 years before the advent of VAR. 

I'm afraid if you think VAR can be perfected I fear you will be waiting forever. It cannot work for various reasons, certainly not in a way which wouldn't infringe on the entertainment of the football fan.

6 minutes ago, JM7 said:

For whatever reason, it never seems controversial in Europe. Must be the English refs. 

I'm not sure where this myth originated from. 

It is extremely controversial in Europe. There have been fan protests against it in Italy and Germany and some huge clangers made by VAR.

There is a big campaign by Dutch fans to remove VAR from the Erevidisie. 

I was and am defending VAR we just need it used correctly like @sonic90 said woth the daylight rule. there is easy fixes for some of the obvious problems and I dont think he ever believes it will be perfect but it can be so much better then just one fella watching it live.

I also think if we should be choosing more wisely over things to protest about or we run the risk of watering down the effectiveness of a well planned protest. We can not just protest about absolutley everything we slightly disagree with, because eventually important matters will be ignored because it would be just another protest. Society is getting ridiculous now. The protesters will be taken just a seriously as the idiots in the US that decide to run infront of trucks to stop chicken farmers delivering live stock. (Not very seriously at all) 

We also run the risk of protests becoming the new petition. One for everything. Ok parliament has to discuss petitions once they reach a certain threshold but next to nothing gets changed because there is far too many of them

3 minutes ago, Malta Blue said:

I was and am defending VAR we just need it used correctly like @sonic90 said woth the daylight rule. there is easy fixes for some of the obvious problems and I dont think he ever believes it will be perfect but it can be so much better then just one fella watching it live.

I also think if we should be choosing more wisely over things to protest about or we run the risk of watering down the effectiveness of a well planned protest. We can not just protest about absolutley everything we slightly disagree with, because eventually important matters will be ignored because it would be just another protest. Society is getting ridiculous now. The protesters will be taken just a seriously as the idiots in the US that decide to run infront of trucks to stop chicken farmers delivering live stock. (Not very seriously at all) 

We also run the risk of protests becoming the new petition. One for everything. Ok parliament has to discuss petitions once they reach a certain threshold but next to nothing gets changed because there is far too many of them

VAR has totally changed the fabric of the game and supporters were never consulted on if they wanted it. A protest is more than fair enough in my opinion. 

Remember when VAR first came out the two words that were hammered out from the beginning were 'clear' and 'obvious' errors. It made it sound like the game would tick along nicely, and in the case of a clear error being made, up would pop VAR to put it right.

But we got a lot more than we bargained for. Offside calls that are anything but clear and obvious, handballs that are not clear can still be given, or not given. It's either yes or no, when it should also be "it's unclear so we won't get involved".

Too much VAR intervention has ripped the joy out of the game, the instant euphoria, remember those days when a goal was almost always a goal, and if the goal was to be cancelled out, it was done immediately on the pitch, by the ref.

1 minute ago, fansagainstVAR said:

VAR has totally changed the fabric of the game and supporters were never consulted on if they wanted it. A protest is more than fair enough in my opinion. 

lets move over to a hypothetical situation for a minute here. Say in 10 years time plans reemerge to form another breakaway league but every season we get it in our heads to protest against everything we dont like say there is 10 protests a season. (Not hard to imagine after the last month) that is 100 protests just about football forgetting the rest of society protests about the police again atleast 10 a year, protests about new legislation let's be generous and say only once a year. Soon we will be protesting about the governments inability to change the weather.

Who in their right mind would take a protest seriously in 10 years time. We will be unable to stop the breakaway league.

The power of the people will be diminished so much that governing bodies from all walks of life will be able to do what they want when they want.

Pick your battles and keep your power. This is exactly what the rich and powerful want and sooner rather than later they are going to get it because we as society believe we should get our own way all of the time.

Let VAR evolve and if it cant evolve naturally it will become extinct of it's own accord.

Just an opinion of someone who is sick of the entitled snowflake society the world is being forced to bear nowadays.

10 minutes ago, coco said:

Remember when VAR first came out the two words that were hammered out from the beginning were 'clear' and 'obvious' errors. It made it sound like the game would tick along nicely, and in the case of a clear error being made, up would pop VAR to put it right.

But we got a lot more than we bargained for. Offside calls that are anything but clear and obvious, handballs that are not clear can still be given, or not given. It's either yes or no, when it should also be "it's unclear so we won't get involved".

Too much VAR intervention has ripped the joy out of the game, the instant euphoria, remember those days when a goal was almost always a goal, and if the goal was to be cancelled out, it was done immediately on the pitch, by the ref.

Thanks.

@Malta Blue Seems to just want fans to sit down and accept it, despite the fact it's totally changed the game as we know it and no fans were ever consulted on it. VAR has changed the actual game of football than the ESL would have done. 

You don't have to agree with me, but just wanting people to sit down and shut up rather than standing up for things they believe in I believe is a very odd stance. 

5 minutes ago, Malta Blue said:

lets move over to a hypothetical situation for a minute here. Say in 10 years time plans reemerge to form another breakaway league but every season we get it in our heads to protest against everything we dont like say there is 10 protests a season. (Not hard to imagine after the last month) that is 100 protests just about football forgetting the rest of society protests about the police again atleast 10 a year, protests about new legislation let's be generous and say only once a year. Soon we will be protesting about the governments inability to change the weather.

Who in their right mind would take a protest seriously in 10 years time. We will be unable to stop the breakaway league.

The power of the people will be diminished so much that governing bodies from all walks of life will be able to do what they want when they want.

Pick your battles and keep your power. This is exactly what the rich and powerful want and sooner rather than later they are going to get it because we as society believe we should get our own way all of the time.

Let VAR evolve and if it cant evolve naturally it will become extinct of it's own accord.

Just an opinion of someone who is sick of the entitled snowflake society the world is being forced to bear nowadays.

Entitled snowflake society? Because we have an issue with VAR? Give over. Feeling passionately about something and wanting to change it has nothing to do with a "snowflake society", get a grip.

Nah, we love VAR at Chelsea. Watching our players get physically assaulted in the box and having a free kick given against them. If only a stray fart could knock them over like Salah/Bruno, definite penalty there. 

Thanks.

@Malta Blue Seems to just want fans to sit down and accept it, despite the fact it's totally changed the game as we know it and no fans were ever consulted on it. VAR has changed the actual game of football than the ESL would have done. 

You don't have to agree with me, but just wanting people to sit down and shut up rather than standing up for things they believe in I believe is a very odd stance. 

Not what I said at all. What I actually said was protesting about everything now will hurt us in the future because it is going to get to the point that protests are a daily occurrence and they will mean absolutely NOTHING. I am going to quote myself here because you seemed to of missed it the first time around

7 minutes ago, Malta Blue said:

Pick your battles

That is what I actually said. Not sit down and shut up

Despite VAR shafting us loads I still see its potential. We were shafted before VAR and we will be shafted again in the future with or without VAR.

To me seem like someone who is only on here to protest for the sake of protesting

You first go on to say I dont support any team.

In my opinion you are not really a fan of football, then you go on to say how you hate that they are changing football without your permission.

What is wrong with you?

3 minutes ago, fansagainstVAR said:

Entitled snowflake society? Because we have an issue with VAR? Give over. Feeling passionately about something and wanting to change it has nothing to do with a "snowflake society", get a grip.

"Entitled snowflake society" you keep missing bits

2 minutes ago, Malta Blue said:

Not what I said at all. What I actually said was protesting about everything now will hurt us in the future because it is going to get to the point that protests are a daily occurrence and they will mean absolutely NOTHING. I am going to quote myself here because you seemed to of missed it the first time around

That is what I actually said. Not sit down and shut up

Despite VAR shafting us loads I still see its potential. We were shafted before VAR and we will be shafted again in the future with or without VAR.

To me seem like someone who is only on here to protest for the sake of protesting

You first go on to say I dont support any team.

In my opinion you are not really a fan of football, then you go on to say how you hate that they are changing football without your permission.

What is wrong with you?

Bore off. If we don't protest then we are effectively sitting down and shutting up, aren't we?

Not calling me a proper fan of football? Been at football every weekend (When allowed) since I was five. Been to over 200 stadiums in the UK and Europe.  

I never said I don't support a team, I said I don't support a PREMIER LEAGUE team. I support a team in League One. Bit of a mistake there for someone who gets all upset about being misquoted?

Getting upset about this is all a bit "snowflakey" isn't it. Message has been lost here - but you seem likely a really ignorant entitled melon. 

Mods I'm happy to not post on here anymore, thanks for allowing the message. @Malta Blue do one you tit.

Var should be completely moderated by AI imho. Computers have a much smaller margin of error when compared to humans. Idk what system they currently use for the offside but it needs updating. I'm sure a super computer can be programmed to moderate games through the use of var and the referee on the field can have the final decision after viewing the monitors

Bore off. If we don't protest then we are effectively sitting down and shutting up, aren't we?

Not calling me a proper fan of football? Been at football every weekend (When allowed) since I was five. Been to over 200 stadiums in the UK and Europe.  

I never said I don't support a team, I said I don't support a PREMIER LEAGUE team. I support a team in League One. Bit of a mistake there for someone who gets all upset about being misquoted?

Getting upset about this is all a bit "snowflakey" isn't it. Message has been lost here - but you seem likely a really ignorant entitled melon. 

Mods I'm happy to not post on here anymore, thanks for allowing the message. @Malta Blue do one you tit.

Who said I'm getting upset? The one that's getting upset is probably the one calling people a tit and telling them to do one. If you support a league one team then how the hell does VAR effect you. The fact that you reacted like this to someone disagreeing with you proved that you are a) a snowflake and b) entitled.

Find another bandwagon to jump snowflake

1 minute ago, LongtimerLurker said:

Var should be completely moderated by AI imho. Computers have a much smaller margin of error when compared to humans. Idk what system they currently use for the offside but it needs updating. I'm sure a super computer can be programmed to moderate games through the use of var and the referee on the field can have the final decision after viewing the monitors

There is talk of Hawkeye-like technology being introduced for offside that send an alert to linesmen. Problem with that is Werner will brake it 🤣

1 minute ago, Munkworth said:

@Malta Blue is from Southampton a thus is considered our Village Idiot on here....

Gordon Ramsey Idiot GIF

And you are from portsmouth so your opinion doesnt count 🤣 I actually had a well reasoned argument about the effectiveness of future protests and this 5 year old didn't like to hear people disagree. Probably someone from Bournemouth

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Malta Blue said:

Who said I'm getting upset? The one that's getting upset is probably the one calling people a tit and telling them to do one. If you support a league one team then how the hell does VAR effect you. The fact that you reacted like this to someone disagreeing with you proved that you are a) a snowflake and b) entitled.

Find another bandwagon to jump snowflake

How about because I love this sport and care about it, and I want other generations to enjoy it as much as I used to. 

Getting angry at me supposedly misquoting you and then totally misquoting what I said sums you up. You're an absolute embarrassment mate. 

Nice to know you're not allowed to take against things unless they have a direct effect on you, hope you have never had a single opinion on politics.

Thanks to the people who have been respectful to me, now jog on Malta Blue you weapon.

Edited by fansagainstVAR

1 minute ago, Malta Blue said:

And you are from portsmouth so your opinion doesnt count 🤣 I actually had a well reasoned argument about the effectiveness of future protests and this 5 year old didn't like to hear people disagree. Probably someone from Bournemouth

Bournemouth > Southampton