Jump to content

Eden Hazard


Recommended Posts

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11835/12315819/real-madrid-transfer-news-eden-hazard-and-gareth-bale-available-for-right-price-this-summer

https://www.managingmadrid.com/2021/5/24/22450873/hazard-real-madrid-rumors-2021

Cons: 

He's been injury prone the past 2 seasons. He's 30 now may struggle to adapt to the pace of the league. Emotional returns don't always work out. €50m (£43m) the rumoured asking price could be spent elsewhere. His diet isn't great, his attitude towards football isn't the most professional.

Pros: He's Eden Hazard! I'd argue we have the funds £40m on Eden would still mean we made a profit on his sale and he would feature as our attacking/creative signing alongside a number 9 being brought. At 30 years of age I think he still has 3 years at the highest level were he to really try and take care of his body despite what diets and training plans he's previously had. When he's happy which he isn't rn but has been and probably would be were he to return. He plays his best football.

Also he's a proven winner having a player of his profile in our squad could help mentally as well as on the pitch. There's no guarantee Madrid definitely want to sell but at a £40m asking price I don't see why we wouldn't at least express an interest he always said he wanted to come back after Madrid the sooner the better I say.

We're talking about a generational talent. Mark my words if we are interested we should move before the Euros. He could very much return to his level during this competition and we could mug Madrid off. If he has a good Euros they can either stick with him or raise the asking price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I think the problem is that we have several players that ideally play on that left hand side: Mount, Pulisic, Werner. So adding Hazard would make our squad that is already unbalanced if you ask me, almost impossible to manage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, LongtimerLurker said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11835/12315819/real-madrid-transfer-news-eden-hazard-and-gareth-bale-available-for-right-price-this-summer

https://www.managingmadrid.com/2021/5/24/22450873/hazard-real-madrid-rumors-2021

Cons: 

He's been injury prone the past 2 seasons. He's 30 now may struggle to adapt to the pace of the league. Emotional returns don't always work out. €50m (£43m) the rumoured asking price could be spent elsewhere. His diet isn't great, his attitude towards football isn't the most professional.

Pros: He's Eden Hazard! I'd argue we have the funds £40m on Eden would still mean we made a profit on his sale and he would feature as our attacking/creative signing alongside a number 9 being brought. At 30 years of age I think he still has 3 years at the highest level were he to really try and take care of his body despite what diets and training plans he's previously had. When he's happy which he isn't rn but has been and probably would be were he to return. He plays his best football.

Also he's a proven winner having a player of his profile in our squad could help mentally as well as on the pitch. There's no guarantee Madrid definitely want to sell but at a £40m asking price I don't see why we wouldn't at least express an interest he always said he wanted to come back after Madrid the sooner the better I say.

We're talking about a generational talent. Mark my words if we are interested we should move before the Euros. He could very much return to his level during this competition and we could mug Madrid off. If he has a good Euros they can either stick with him or raise the asking price.

Hell No! & he isn’t a generational talent. Doubt any team is rushing to sign him becos of his wages & his injury record in the last 2 season, & like Gol15 said we are stacked on the left.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, it's too much of a risk, not like he's going to be cheap or take a huge pay cut either. That being said, if there's something about our setup that just worked for him and we're confident we can have him back to what he was then maybe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Problem is Eden needs his pace as well as trickery. 

Maybe he can adapt to be like Zola and use his skill and vision to adapt to a game with no pace.

However it is Eden and we too the Drog back for good outcome.

I would say yes at that price, or lower if Marina can work it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


He's almost 31 and is a bit injury prone now. I wouldn't be a fan of a move unless we hit our top targets for our needs first, especially in terms of getting a true striker. I would take him on a Bale-esque loan, but he wouldn't be the answer for our problems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, PraetorianGuard said:

He's almost 31 and is a bit injury prone now. I wouldn't be a fan of a move unless we hit our top targets for our needs first, especially in terms of getting a true striker. I would take him on a Bale-esque loan, but he wouldn't be the answer for our problems.

Atm Bale would be a far better option, but he's on stoopid wages, also our memories of EH are at the very top of his game, would hate him to return and be a shadow, watched that Epic game with spurs, when he came on and ran it , oh and that goal...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can see it happening. Yes it's a gamble due to his injuries over the past two seasons and due to him rocking up looking like a body double for Reg Holdsworth however if its true he wants to return to us then that'll drive the price down which will tempt Abramovich. 

Yes it makes us left side heavy but we don't have a real quality game changer just now. That bloke who can turn a sh*t 0 0 to a 1 0 win with a moment of magic. None of our wide men will ever do that even remotely consistently. 

Mount is very adaptable and Werner can either play in the centre or on the bench. Therefore space for Hazard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Ballack & Blu said:

Atm Bale would be a far better option, but he's on stoopid wages, also our memories of EH are at the very top of his game, would hate him to return and be a shadow, watched that Epic game with spurs, when he came on and ran it , oh and that goal...

Bale is a way better option & superior output. We are 19pts behind City, nostalgia should be our last priority 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


After thinking about it, honestly if we get a real quality CB + a new DM, sure I would be happy if Eden comes back even on loan for a season. We're talking about one of the best players to ever play in the club...

I saw somewhere that Eden made 245 appearances between 2012-2019 in the PL and the only player that played in more games during that period was only De Gea with 1 more match. If he could accept to not be an automatic starter but more in a rotation where he would get back in shape and share minutes with Pulisic he could end up timing his form and do great things again.

I think our squad could look like this but I have to say it again, a new CB and DM is really needed if we're going for Hazard, otherwise I would prefer that we spend 110m on Haaland and try to outscore every opponent instead because Hazard alone won't solve our problems.
The bold ones are basically starters, of course Havertz can also play in the middle and as a false 9 and Ziyech is a RW mainly but it can look like this:

                             Mendy

      James/Azp T.Silva/Rudi  ?  Chilwell/Emerson

                       Kante/Kovacic  ?

  Havertz/CHO Mount/Ziyech Hazard/Pulisic

                            Werner/Tammy

There is this other option where Ziyech is sold (I'm not against Ziyech but I'm sure he expected to play regularly in a 4-3-3 so my guess is he's pretty disappointed) and Pulisic adapts to the right wing position:

Pulisic Mount Hazard

          Havertz

We would have CHO and Pulisic capable of playing on either side, Mount in the middle and left side, Werner forward or left and Havertz all over the place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ducavis said:

Hell No! & he isn’t a generational talent. Doubt any team is rushing to sign him becos of his wages & his injury record in the last 2 season, & like Gol15 said we are stacked on the left.

 

Wait what you don't think he's a generational talent? I can understand all of your other points but Eden Hazard on form is in the top 3 players in the world for his position. The amount of solo goals alone he scored for us should be an indication that players like him do not come along often. The West Ham goal in his last season was exceptional.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the cons would be that I don't see him fitting Tommy's style of play.  Don't see him pressing for example.  Having said that, I would take him back.  He would have taken a lot of the chances that have gone begging recently.  Would be nice to have some experience in that area of the pitch.  Won't play week in week out but Eden with a new striker and central midfielder in place of Jorginho and I will be happy......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not convinced this would be a good move. Finding a 20 goal per season striker has to be the priority. Hazard wouldn't compete with Werner's pace - maybe he could become something else in a more central role. But generally, I don't think returning players is a great idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Im mixed about this. I like Eden but I think we should leave the memory of him leaving the club as a good player untarnished. The last thing I want to happen is for him to come here, flop, and end up losing all the respect he had at chelsea and the premier league.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a few rebuttals for the cons of us signing Eden. Hypothetically Hazard could have a similar impact for us as Bale has had for Spurs.

We are now at the point where we would no longer be reliant on Eden and could use him as both an impact sub and starter.

I don't think a player of his calibre loses his ability over night. I think his form is tied to his fitness. There is nothing to say he cannot regain fitness, if he has a set plan by specialists who know him and his body well (Chelsea medical team). This goes for both his diet and training schedule.

Historically Eden has been quite healthy with us and I think that's credit to our whole set up. I think Madrid's medical team just isn't as good, the Belgium team has alluded to this and it makes me think Madrid have not managed Eden and his rehabilitation very well. I think we could get him match fit.

Also I think this whole situation was a humbling experience for Eden not just getting KO out of the ucl by his former team. But, the way the Madrid fans have treated him compared to the way we are with him. 

Finally from a tactical point of view Eden can actually play a couple of positions for us especially if we do sign a proper number 9. I think TT would like to work with him assuming he could get fit.

Firstly through the middle this is more likely if we could not sign one of our primary targets and lose Giroud and Abraham. With two hardworking forwards either side of him Eden can focus on his intelligent movement in the box and with his world class finishing he is tasked with scoring the goals at the end of our moves. 

We would in theory have 3 players who prefer playing on the left were we to sign Eden but, since the position either side of the attacker in 3421 is quite centeral and we play a fluid system it's likely 1 player wouldn't stick to one side. This means a preference for playing on one side should not be an issue. I'm sure Werner and Pulisic would love to play alongside Eden regardless of which side they play.

A formation change could see Eden play as a number 10. In a 4231 for example alongside two hardworking wingers Eden is given a free role to roam around an create. Playing off a number 9 which he prefers to do.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would give it a go. He's had a rough time with injuries, but he isn't the only player that has been in that situation and bounced back. I also think he has been horribly mismanaged when he has been fit for Real Madrid. They have never played to his strengths and they have been shoving him out on the right at times which doesn't suit his game at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


It's not even debatable that he's one of the best players to ever have played for this club, if he's available for less than 50 million we should leap at it. He's got his problems with fitness and injury and general tubbiness, but at the same time he's not just about his physical attributes because he's a ridiculously talented ball player with his vision, passing, finishing and control. If we can spaff money for years on the Djilobodji's and Baba Rahman's of the world then we can afford to risk 40 million on the best player we've had at the club since Lamps, Drogba and Terry. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly man if Marina is on the case there's no way we're not getting a good deal. Let's do the maths he cost us £32m and we sold him for £130m including adds on which we have recieved. Supposedly there are still fees yet to be paid and so there could be some deal to be made. 

We don't necessarily have to buy him outright, a loan deal with an obligation to buy depending on performance could be an option for example.

But let's not kid ourselves if he is on the market why would we let any other rival team (domestic or continental) have him. He was never Madrid's he's always going to be ours. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it is cheap and we have covered the main team weaknesses, hell yeah! If we are taking away the money from a DM/ST/CB to get Hazard back, then it is a no thanks for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!