Eden Hazard

Posted (edited)

I predict max 1 more season at Madrid before he leaves. Problem for Eden is his stock is at an all time low. A good Euro campaign is essential as it would give him the momentum to have a good season for Madrid were he to stay.

The next coach will need to be able to get the best out of him. Despite the players growing tired of his methods during the latter stages of his tenure,  Antonio knows Eden very well and could be the perfect antidote for his woes.

Also as a team we've grown since he left us. Ironically the lack of one standout individual star (aside from Ngolo) has meant we are full of hard workers who get into the team on merit not just outrageous talent.

As much as I love Eden I have to admit it would be hard for him to get into this team because he doesn't work hard enough off the ball. As much as I would love Eden to come back I've come to the conclusion that sometimes in life you have to move on, I'll still be keeping his poster on my wall though.

Edited by LongtimerLurker

• 3 weeks later...

for once i entirely agree with Jose on his slant on Eden and training, to say the Kid coasted on his talent is so apparent, if he had the dedication, and right mindset of say Messi, Ronaldo, Lewa, i believe he could of scaled incredible heights, to come back to pre season over weight is shocking and so unprofessional, i'm not truly shooing him, cos he is the most talented player i have witnessed in the PL, but he could of been so much better...

32 minutes ago, Ballack & Blu said:

for once i entirely agree with Jose on his slant on Eden and training, to say the Kid coasted on his talent is so apparent, if he had the dedication, and right mindset of say Messi, Ronaldo, Lewa, i believe he could of scaled incredible heights, to come back to pre season over weight is shocking and so unprofessional, i'm not truly shooing him, cos he is the most talented player i have witnessed in the PL, but he could of been so much better...

Despite what some people think, I don't think 30 is too old to change your lifestyle. I think Eden has the mental strength now to change his diet and his training style. As I'm sure he's aware of Chelsea FC and Real Madrid CF are too very different places to play at.

To succeed at that level he must be at his very best 90-100% of the time.

The fact a player so respected outside of Spain (Gareth Bale) can get so much hate, from a team he's helped to win title after title should have been an indication of the cut throat surroundings Eden found himself in.

16 minutes ago, LongtimerLurker said:

Despite what some people think, I don't think 30 is too old to change your lifestyle. I think Eden has the mental strength now to change his diet and his training style. As I'm sure he's aware of Chelsea FC and Real Madrid CF are too very different places to play at.

The fact a player so respected outside of Spain (Gareth Bale) can get so much hate, from a team he's helped to win title after title should have been an indication of the cut throat surroundings Eden found himself in.

In years to come, i bet Hazard says in hindsight i should never of left Chelsea, i always bang on about Messi, like a stuck record, but i watched a Video on what you don't see behind the scenes, his true dedication, like Lewa to training and his fitness, and always practising and improving his skillset, as you said the pressure on a player like Bale should of been a warning, Bale must love Hazard taking all the Madrid sh*te now....

2 hours ago, LongtimerLurker said:

If you got Ziyech saying his preferences were Morocco, golf, Chelsea, then he’d get as much hate as Bale has got in Madrid. He’s a twat for saying those things.

Edited by RMH

2 hours ago, RMH said:

If you got Ziyech saying his preferences were Morocco, golf, Chelsea, then he’d get as much hate as Bale has got in Madrid. He’s a twat for saying those things.

Tbh every human has their breaking point, they treated him badly (not to say he's exactly perfect not learning Spanish hasn't exactly endeared him to their culture) and so he reacted in what I can only assume was genuine honesty. He doesn't care about them and good for Gareth.

59 minutes ago, LongtimerLurker said:

Tbh every human has their breaking point, they treated him badly (not to say he's exactly perfect not learning Spanish hasn't exactly endeared him to their culture) and so he reacted in what I can only assume was genuine honesty. He doesn't care about them and good for Gareth.

Knowing many madridistas who liked him and thought he was a great player, Gareth did not treat the club respectfully. If any Chelsea player did half of what he’s done in Madrid, the comments on here and from Chelsea supporters would be exactly the same, and rightfully so. Maybe you’d support the player in that case?

18 hours ago, RMH said:

Knowing many madridistas who liked him and thought he was a great player, Gareth did not treat the club respectfully. If any Chelsea player did half of what he’s done in Madrid, the comments on here and from Chelsea supporters would be exactly the same, and rightfully so. Maybe you’d support the player in that case?

As I've said before he's by no means a saint but the relationship between Gareth and Madrid broke down long before he began making public comments regarding the matter. From an observer merely looking from the outside it appears apparent there is much more to it than simply Bale was disrespectful to Madrid and so deserves to be ostracized and disrespected despite all that he has achieved with that club.

I think promises were made to Bale to get him to sign and then were broken by the club and he was not first choice and sat mainly on the bench.

The press knowing how good he could be started asking questions and sooner or later he was going to make comments to the press. 

Obviously there is a difference between Bale and Hazard in terms of how they would pick up languages, yet did Gazza or Ince speak Italian? 

Don't think he is the first to be slack learning the language.

On Hazard he is still unsure of his ankle and thinks he may need another operation yet will try and play on it to see if he can retain his form. 

Eden is not the player he was, as he said he broke his ankle 3 times, sure Maradona broke his leg once but that was early on. Having said that by the end of the match against Finland he was starting to run into some form. Chelsea sold him at the perfect time and got a great price.

As crazy as it is to think considering the esteem in which he was held only two years ago... I don't think I want him back.

I will preface this by saying that if he is the player he used to be then it's a no-brainer. Hazard was the best player in the league for quite a few years. I'm just not convinced that's the case. Hazard increasingly looks like a player who is suffering from the cumulative and permament effects of multiple injuries, a hobbyist's approach to fitness, and being kicked in the ankles for seven years. There are still glimpses of genius, but without the short-burst acceleration then he's mostly unable to execute them, which makes him a fraction as effective as he once was.

Another issue is his defensive laxity. Tuchel requires his forwards to press when out of possession. Hazard does not and has never done that. It's a weakness you can tolerate and adjust for when the player in question is the entire crux of your attack - if that's no longer the case then it seems like we'd be creating an unnecessary problem.

I think Hazard could be useful as an impact player, but considering how much he would cost, his age and physical condition, the defensive problems described above, and the fact that we already have Mount, Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi (and maybe Werner) who can all play in his position, it doesn't seem like an option worth taking.

On a side note, Hazard is only six days older than me. It's a bit galling to think of him as a spent force...

8 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

As crazy as it is to think considering the esteem in which he was held only two years ago... I don't think I want him back.

I will preface this by saying that if he is the player he used to be then it's a no-brainer. Hazard was the best player in the league for quite a few years. I'm just not convinced that's the case. Hazard increasingly looks like a player who is suffering from the cumulative and permament effects of multiple injuries, a hobbyist's approach to fitness, and being kicked in the ankles for seven years. There are still glimpses of genius, but without the short-burst acceleration then he's mostly unable to execute them, which makes him a fraction as effective as he once was.

Another issue is his defensive laxity. Tuchel requires his forwards to press when out of possession. Hazard does not and has never done that. It's a weakness you can tolerate and adjust for when the player in question is the entire crux of your attack - if that's no longer the case then it seems like we'd be creating an unnecessary problem.

I think Hazard could be useful as an impact player, but considering how much he would cost, his age and physical condition, the defensive problems described above, and the fact that we already have Mount, Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi (and maybe Werner) who can all play in his position, it doesn't seem like an option worth taking.

On a side note, Hazard is only six days older than me. It's a bit galling to think of him as a spent force...

Some top quotes in there Plokkers. A hobbyist's approach to fitness could be one of my favourites of the year.

As for Eden, he had another difficult year with injury. I've no doubt fully fit under Carlo he'll be a different proposition.

That said, he would not fit in our current approach. We missed lots about Eden but we didn't miss his complete neglect of his off the ball duties. I dare say the off the ball work of Mount and Kante etc. had more to do with us winning the CL than our work with the ball. In a system like that you can't carry players who don't want to defend. Eden for all his strengths is definitely a player who doesn't want to defend.

3 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Some top quotes in there Plokkers. A hobbyist's approach to fitness could be one of my favourites of the year.

I'm afraid that line was shamelessly stolen. Can't remember from where, I think it was last year.

20 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

Judging by your profile pic Eden can call himself lucky! 🤐

But yea, some things are better left in the past - as tempting as it may be.

• 5 weeks later...

Looks like Madrid might still want to sell even if Eden wants to stay. Sadly most fans don't really want him back and I can understand not tainting the legacy.

This isn't a post about whether we should sign him, just an appreciation post. 

218760372_4523717701107060_1763703863638927266_n.jpg

18 hours ago, LongtimerLurker said:

Looks like Madrid might still want to sell even if Eden wants to stay. Sadly most fans don't really want him back and I can understand not tainting the legacy.

This isn't a post about whether we should sign him, just an appreciation post. 

218760372_4523717701107060_1763703863638927266_n.jpg

I can’t imagine there’s a Chelsea supporter that doesn’t appreciate Hazard. On his day, and there were lots and lots he could do anything. He deserved to win the champions league but pretty much just represented the bridge between the two cl winning teams. Whether he can recover from his injuries and put in another couple of good seasons is the question. 

I've  read there is someone senior at Chelsea advocating his return to the club which I understand would suit the player - but the club are already making efforts to sign another player,so make of it as you will.

12 hours ago, PloKoon13 said:

Actually, after watching this, I take it all back. Bring him home:

No!, just No! If his body can’t hold up in La Liga, how do you expect it to hold up in the PL. Worst thing you can do to Tuchel is buy him a player he didn’t ask for, and we are stacked on the LW